Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well that twist was the best thing Fairy Tail's had going for it in a looooooooooong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think there's still more to this. When we first saw him he was visiting a grave. I doubt the demon Deliora gives two shits about any dead humans given how many of them he's killed. Nor would he have any reason to be glad "Natsu" unfroze the giant town. Or give Lisanna some clothing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zogundar posted:

I think there's still more to this. When we first saw him he was visiting a grave. I doubt the demon Deliora gives two shits about any dead humans given how many of them he's killed. Nor would he have any reason to be glad "Natsu" unfroze the giant town. Or give Lisanna some clothing.

The answer is that Mashima is totally making it up as he goes along. Thankfully, he seems to have moved away from that weird phase where Gray kept getting into motorcycle races. That seems like it would be a very strange direction for this particular fight to take.

bondster
May 6, 2007

So here is the info on the two spinoffs:

Anime News Network posted:

This year's 31st issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine is announcing on Wednesday that Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail manga is inspiring two new spinoff series. Boku is drawing the Fairy Girls manga, while Rui Watanabe is drawing the Fairy Tail Blue Mistral manga.

The Fairy Girls story will focus on the two "strongest girls in the world." The series will launch in this year's 12th issue of Kodansha's Magazine Special on November 20.

In Fairy Tail Blue Mistral, Wendy — as a 12-year-old magical girl — will face the secrets of the dragon valley. Weekly Shōnen Magazine also hints that Wendy may find love in this "Episode #0" story. The manga will launch in the September issue of Kodansha's shōjo magazine Nakayoshi on August 2.

The first issue of the Monthly Fairy Tail magazine shipped on June 17 with a Fairy Tail Zero spinoff manga centering on the original Master Mavis. Four special one-shot manga chapters also ran in four Kodansha magazines this spring.

Mashima launched Fairy Tail in Weekly Shōnen Magazine in 2006. Kodansha Comics publishes the series in North America, and Crunchyroll is releasing new chapters online as they come out in Japan. The new Fairy Tail television anime premiered on April 5.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bondster posted:

The first issue of the Monthly Fairy Tail magazine shipped on June 17 with a Fairy Tail Zero spinoff manga centering on the original Master Mavis. Four special one-shot manga chapters also ran in four Kodansha magazines this spring.

Huh, I haven't seen this chapter, did scanlators skip it for some reason?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So Fairy Tail Girls will be Erza and...Mira Jane I guess? Neither sounds particularly promising but I've no idea what kind of mangaka are working on them - anyone familiar with either?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

Wendy — as a 12-year-old magical girl

Wait-- I thought... she already was a 12-year-old magical girl? :confused:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

The answer is that Mashima is totally making it up as he goes along. Thankfully, he seems to have moved away from that weird phase where Gray kept getting into motorcycle races. That seems like it would be a very strange direction for this particular fight to take.
It's probably going to turn out that his father has been influencing the demon... somehow and all of these actions are explained.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ice Make: Harley.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope that the forbidden... involves a motorcycle

No I don't remember what it actually is. That chapter was yawns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope that the forbidden... involves a motorcycle

No I don't remember what it actually is. That chapter was yawns.

That ice transformation thing Ur did. I doubt it would even work now, but what else does he have?

I had been wondering why Deliora suddenly used ice magic, since he was just a big destructive monster before. Him using Gray's father's body was just a coincidence (and it was nice how that barely fazed Gray), but the reason why he uses ice is not.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

That ice transformation thing Ur did. I doubt it would even work now, but what else does he have?

I had been wondering why Deliora suddenly used ice magic, since he was just a big destructive monster before. Him using Gray's father's body was just a coincidence (and it was nice how that barely fazed Gray), but the reason why he uses ice is not.

Because Mashima decided it would be cool to have Gray fight another ice mage, and then made it be his dad because that's cool, but what if it's secretly Deliora possessing his dad? Whoa awesome! Oh, and he uses devil slayer magic too, because that's a cool thing he made up. Just wait until he's secretly been Jellal all along, but wait what if he's really Zeref?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Because Mashima decided it would be cool to have Gray fight another ice mage, and then made it be his dad because that's cool, but what if it's secretly Deliora possessing his dad? Whoa awesome! Oh, and he uses devil slayer magic too, because that's a cool thing he made up. Just wait until he's secretly been Jellal all along, but wait what if he's really Zeref?

Nah, what I meant was that it makes perfect sense for Deliora to learn magic specifically to use against Ur's pupils. He already lost to an ice mage once, and being immortal the only time limit he has is those two's natural lifespans. Besides, dragon/god slayer magics were already largely identical, so why not demon slayer magic too?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Gray only able to suck up the super ice magic because it's linked to his father, or is it going to turn out Ur's school was actually the last remnant of some other mythical slayer magic?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
It think it's just a level up for him, he managed it at the village and knew he was capable of it.

I am almost expecting him to come out of this with devil slayer magic though.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/392/2445/1

new chapter

I really liked it, and the double reveal owns. I guess all the "demons" are just regular people like Minerva?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good job, Gray. Even if I'm getting a bit annoyed at shounen manga for constantly giving people the ability to make inanimate objects walk, talk, and act like humans somehow with no precedence (that I can remember). But it's shounen manga so I have to accept that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pinegala posted:

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/392/2445/1

new chapter

I really liked it, and the double reveal owns. I guess all the "demons" are just regular people like Minerva?

Well, one of them got destroyed and turned into a sentient mushroom so I don't see how that would work. In other words, yeah, probably.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter plus the Mavis and Gray origin spinoffs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, nice. So that perfectly valid reason for Silver/not-actually-Deliora to have learned anti-ice mage magic? That's gone. There is no real reason why he learned ice magic. It was just a dumb coincidence. Oh Mashima, you so lazy.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm actually really interested to see where the Mavis spinoff goes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ha ha, nice. So that perfectly valid reason for Silver/not-actually-Deliora to have learned anti-ice mage magic? That's gone. There is no real reason why he learned ice magic. It was just a dumb coincidence. Oh Mashima, you so lazy.

On the other hand it also resolved a former plot hole of why silver was being nice to some other people.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, so the whole Deliora thing was just an act?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I.. guess you could say "Keith/Skull Man made him do it" to answer some of the questionable actions Silver did but that still leaves the "Filthy/disgusting name" line in reference to Gray as making little sense (Unless someone wants to dig up the raw to see if multiple translators got it wrong!)
Oh wait, he had enough free will to do other stuff like slaying demons or freezing villages on his own. I guess Mashima just wrote himself into a corner. :shrug:

*EDIT*

Oh and what about these:

-Silver being familiar with Natsu
I guess he could have seen him on the Lacrima TV if that's how he found out about Grey, but I dunno, since he called him by name he sounded more familiar with him than he should have been, as opposed to "Oh it's one of Grey's guildmates."
-Silver being in his "human" form
Early on someone commented on him being in human form (That it was UNUSUAL even.) Well that suggests he has a non-human form, doesn't it? But if he's not really Deliora then he doesn't really? Oops?

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 18, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

I.. guess you could say "Keith/Skull Man made him do it" to answer some of the questionable actions Silver did but that still leaves the "Filthy/disgusting name" line in reference to Gray as making little sense (Unless someone wants to dig up the raw to see if multiple translators got it wrong!)
Oh wait, he had enough free will to do other stuff like slaying demons or freezing villages on his own. I guess Mashima just wrote himself into a corner. :shrug:

I'm assuming the "Filthy/disgusting name" line was him pretending to be a loyal zombie.

It feels less tacked-on than Ultear's backstory/motivation, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That reminds me, I wonder when Urtear will come back from the dead?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That reminds me, I wonder when Urtear will come back from the dead?

I thought she was an old lady?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I thought she was an old lady?

If you're a woman in Fairy Tail those are the same thing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah that was a satisfying little chapter. My hug shall teach you how to kill the demon king!

On the other hand Keith is such an odd name for fairy tail.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 394

:stare: Jesus Christ, Juvia

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
END being a flame demon supports the "Evil Natsu Dragoneel" theory.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ah I was wondering where her ability to become water went

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's definitely one of the better kills this manga's had. :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Well that's definitely one of the better kills this manga's had. :allears:

Yeah on the level of a Moratl Kombat Fatality

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
About loving time Gray got a power-up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm honestly surprised Gray didn't already have some kind of hidden slayer magic locked inside him that Ur saw while training him or something like that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope this doesn't cause a horrible derail. Does anyone know if there was a certain point that Fairy Tail became so very fanservicey, or was it just a gradual progression as Mashima's art changed and improved? I went back to the early chapters and much like early Nami in One Piece, the girls were pretty noodley and not nearly the bombshells they are in the current chapters. There was still fanservice though, so I guess it's just an art progression thing. It doesn't really matter though I guess, it's Fairy Tail, it's all just tits and explosions.

Going back through old chapters did remind me how very little I remember about anything that happened in past arcs. I scrolled through manga sites looking for a chapter with early Juvia in it and found this one. I really have no idea who the Gene Simmons character in it is or why he is making Juvia evil, and man has Juvia changed over time.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He was with the group of mages that were helping out Jellal when he was getting ready to make use of Etherion with his special magical tower. The jetpack owl was another one of those mages. That rocker dude had hair that absorbed all water and Juvia couldn't do anything to him, and he had magic that controlled people, so he used it on Juvia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Before he revealed that he was a crazy rocker he acted like a stoic butler to Jellal until he was told to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I scrolled through manga sites looking for a chapter with early Juvia in it and found this one. I really have no idea who the Gene Simmons character in it is or why he is making Juvia evil, and man has Juvia changed over time.
It actually kinda disturbs me how little I remember that.

On the other hand I do appreciate the link to an example of 'Aquarius was a piece of poo poo'.

• Locked thread