Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fried Chicken posted:

And probending was boring as poo poo, it was stand here and shoot color blobs at one another. The real fighting scenes where they actually interact with each other and the constantly changing environment is way better both visually and from a narrative POV

Probending served an important world building purpose: namely showing how bending - and society's attitude towards it - had changed during the AtlA/LoK timeskip. With one match we're shown that:

1. The barriers between nations have been broken down significantly.
2. Bending has more or less ceased being a spiritual activity and turned into a sport. It's also become less militaristic in nature.
3. As a result of 2, new styles of bending have emerged that differ significantly from traditional styles, such as Bolin's "light on your feet" earthbending.

As a world building device, pro bending was great because it showed the audience a lot about what's different in the new Korra setting without having to explicitly explain it. The problem however is that once probending served that purpose, it really didn't do much beyond bogging the plot down. Honestly they could have dropped the Fire Ferrets plotline entirely past the premier, and nothing of value would be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Probending was interesting the first few times. But there's a lack of flair to it that makes it boring after seeing it a couple of times. Makes it a realistic sport at least. :\

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
It was an interesting concept, mostly used as a plot device to build trust between the trio.

I guess it was easier then having them go on an epic quest and defeat a Fire Lord

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm just glad that there are more airbenders now. There were a lot of things that bothered me about airbender culture-- the fact that they seemed by all accounts to be incredibly dogmatic and monoculturalist, the fact that none of them ever seemed to question or go against their belief system, and the fact that they called themselves Air Nomads when they weren't even remotely nomadic. This handily fixes all of that. It's also much more in line with the way actual air works; it behaves in vastly different ways shaped by the environment, giving rise to unique weather phenomenons and regional winds.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Spergatory posted:

the fact that they called themselves Air Nomads when they weren't even remotely nomadic.

But they were nomadic??? At least before they were wiped out by the firelord. It had been stated that they travelled around to the different Air Temples.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This was posted in the MGRR thread.

Please let Platinum write Season 4 :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beep by grandpa posted:

Please let Platinum write Season 4 :allears:

Nanomachines Bloodbending, son!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Played for the Wolfbats, y'know! Coulda won it all if Amon hadn't taken my bending!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Probending was interesting the first few times. But there's a lack of flair to it that makes it boring after seeing it a couple of times. Makes it a realistic sport at least. :\

Kind of. It was great, what there was of it, but I don't really want to see much more. It's well-conceived an would be fun to watch/play as a sport, so that puts it ahead of something like quidditch for fantasy sports. But Korra has short seasons and big events happening with opportunity for real fights, and if actual playing of a sport is getting a lot of screentime it's probably a writing problem.

The pro-bending arc in S1 wasn't really a problem there, to be clear, since it was also doing worldbuilding, relationship building, establishing Korra's new avenue of training, and setting up the tournament ending. After that it served its point, and we didn't see much more.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Genocyber posted:

Should have just made it Pro Wrestling with bending, that would make it interesting, especially when it gets to the petty backstage politics of who's going over :v:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Should have just made it Pro Wrestling with bending, that would make it interesting, especially when it gets to the petty backstage politics of who's going over :v:

I am all about this idea.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm going to be honest, if Korra and co. end up stumbling in on Earth Rumble LXXVI during their tour of the Earth Kingdom, I will take back everything bad I've said about this show. :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Amon takes off his mask to reveal Tenzin!

"It's me Korra! It's me Korra! It was me, all, along Korra!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Oh god, linear time is a lie.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AnonSpore posted:

"Aw son of a polar bear dog!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AnonSpore posted:

Aw, son of a bitch.

e: gently caress, beaten

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope the game has a way to let you play as Avatar Wan because he's pretty rad.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Then mentioned that Mako and Bolin's grandfather sold fruit. Can we assume he's Cabbage Guy? That's what I'm assuming

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ThatPazuzu posted:

Then mentioned that Mako and Bolin's grandfather sold fruit. Can we assume he's Cabbage Guy? That's what I'm assuming

The Cabbage Clan built up a multibillion dollar conglomerate with nothing but the sweat of their brow and allllot of Ang's reparations fund.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I had my fingers crossed that the Gramophone guy would be the new Cabbage guy. They even look similar.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

This season needs more Varrick.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Sithsaber posted:

The Cabbage Clan built up a multibillion dollar conglomerate with nothing but the sweat of their brow and allllot of Ang's reparations fund.

Cabbage Corp hasn't shown up after the first season, I'm kinda bummed about that. If Asami's company can make a go of it under new leadership why can't Cabbage corp?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Oh man I miss the constant running cabbage gag, bring it back

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A new Nickelodeon commercial for Friday's episodes boasts that Legend of Korra Book 3 "Cannot be seen online."

Which I guess answers the question of why the episodes aren't online legally at all.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A new Nickelodeon commercial for Friday's episodes boasts that Legend of Korra Book 3 "Cannot be seen online."

Which I guess answers the question of why the episodes aren't online legally at all.

I get why they're saying that, but it's kind of ridiculous that they're touting being out of the loop technologically and culturally as a reason to watch.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Nichael posted:

I get why they're saying that, but it's kind of ridiculous that they're touting being out of the loop technologically and culturally as a reason to watch.

Guys they REALLY need to sell those super soakers they advertise at every commercial break. They got drunk and bought a storehouse full of them.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I get that leaks are damaging but this is a pretty drastic reaction. I think there's a not insignificant amount of parents who will limit how much their kids watch T.V., but let them have basically unlimited internet access. Combine that with the dedicated adult viewerbase who were probably the reason there were leaks in the first place, and I think Nick is doing itself a disservice here. Today basically all media is available within a few days of its air date at best online, if not within the first few hours, so why cut off even the possibility of legitimate online viewing?

I kind of feel the same about releasing the episodes so quickly. I get that it isn't doing amazing ratings, but it's got to be doing better than spongebob season 6 repeats, or what have you, even if those repeats are what sell the toys. If you normally get a 1.0 in the timeslot, and Korra does a 1.5, spread it out and get the 1.5 for longer, while also giving people time to see that it's on and get into it. I mean, my faith in Nick's expertise is already low with how willing the are to move shows to different timeslots, which has never been a good idea and is a classic example to me of an executive doing something just to look busy.

Ultimately it's barely going to make a difference and we won't be getting any more or less of Korra because of this stuff, but I guess it just irks me when I see things done in T.V. that are weird at best, and just plain bad ideas at first. PTSD from Firefly I guess.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

My Predictions:
-Thief Airbender kid probably reforms and becomes a good guy; with the possibility of being distracted and joins the evil guys first before turning good again because conflict.

I just don't see them making him "evil" or even having viewers question it; I think his entire narrative purpose as a character is to give viewers an inside look at the earth kingdom's secret airbending unit. His reformation has already happened, insomuch as he's now in a dire situation due to his careless use of airbending to rob people.

He'll probably do something to thwart an earth kingdom-based attack on team avatar, hookup with them for some final fight of the season v. the four bending savants, say a few skampish quotes and jokingly steal Boomi's wallet, and then exit the story forever by choosing to move into one of the air temples with other earth kingdom airbenders who don't want to stay in the earth kingdom anymore.

edit: I've only seen the 3 officially released episodes, so it's possible I'm already laughably wrong, but I don't see it playing out any other way. :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

He'll probably do something to thwart an earth kingdom-based attack on team avatar, hookup with them for some final fight of the season v. the four bending savants, say a few skampish quotes and jokingly steal Boomi's wallet, and then exit the story forever by choosing to move into one of the air temples with other earth kingdom airbenders who don't want to stay in the earth kingdom anymore.

On Bryan Konietzko's tumblr, there's a photo of Michael Dante DiMartino with Kai's voice actor, saying that he's grown about a foot since they recorded Book 3... I was assuming he was there to record more dialogue for Book 4, but I could very well be assuming incorrectly.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Learned there was a new comic out called The Rift, which made me realize I hadn't read The Search yet, so I went out and read those both. Can I just say I'm really glad somebody is recognizing Toph as the badass she is? And that The Rift is already shaping up to be the best comic yet by way of focusing more on Toph.

Also, I've always thought Korra couldn't connect with her past lives cause her spirituality was her least learned aspect, but seeing Aang developing the same problems independently makes me think there's something deeper going on here... or at least, I would think that if it wasn't for recent events resetting the life cycle so Avatars cannot connect to the past now, anyway, but it does shed new light on how events played out in the first two seasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless it is directly mentioned in the series, I wouldn't assume anything from the comic is canon even if the developers are connected to it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
So how many episodes have been aired officially? I'm not sure if I missed one or not.

E: V Thanks.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 7, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrant posted:

So how many episodes have been aired officially? I'm not sure if I missed one or not.

3. There will be 2 a week from here on out.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
No avatar today makes me something something

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
so are they just not putting them online or are they putting them up on another website

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

NextTime000 posted:

so are they just not putting them online or are they putting them up on another website

It's shaping up to look like their response to the leaks of some of the episodes will be to hold off on putting anything up online until the season's done. Granted, it's going by much faster with two premieres per night, but I'm honestly probably gonna skip out on this until they're legit available online.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I just don't see them making him "evil" or even having viewers question it; I think his entire narrative purpose as a character is to give viewers an inside look at the earth kingdom's secret airbending unit. His reformation has already happened, insomuch as he's now in a dire situation due to his careless use of airbending to rob people.

edit: I've only seen the 3 officially released episodes, so it's possible I'm already laughably wrong, but I don't see it playing out any other way. :v:
I've watched the leaked episodes and Kai does not appear in the last two. After they rescue him from the Earth Queen, they drop him and the airbenders off at an Air Temple. Although Kai is probably happy to be away from the Dai Li, he probably will grow bored with monastic life and run off again, and he'll use airbending skills he is taught to rob people.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think that spoiler tag should start a little earlier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

It's shaping up to look like their response to the leaks of some of the episodes will be to hold off on putting anything up online until the season's done. Granted, it's going by much faster with two premieres per night, but I'm honestly probably gonna skip out on this until they're legit available online.

I really don't get why they're doing that. It's not like it'll prevent pirated stuff showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Genocyber posted:

I really don't get why they're doing that. It's not like it'll prevent pirated stuff showing up.

There is no war in basingse; there are no episodes online.

• Locked thread