Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
NG cook seems like a pretty good deal as you pretty much go in from 8 - 1 and leave while everyone else stays around for another three hours.

Granted in exchange of getting six hours of your life back you gain no practical skills out of it and no security clearance. If she's dead set on joining tell her to pick a MOS worth something at least. With NG you're pretty much guaranteed whatever job you pick at sign up so jobs like cook are fallbacks for people who fail out of other schools.

Also almost 100% sure you get to pick SLRP or Montgomery/post 911 at sign up but not both so she can't double dip like she plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Loden Taylor posted:

Anyone have experience with going through Army basic in their 30s? I'm gearing up to go in as a 42R, Army Musician. I've got a good number of friends currently in the bands, so I've got an idea of what I'm in for, but they mostly went in right after college when they were in their mid 20s.

I don't have any health problems, and I'm in ok shape - I could easily pass the push-ups and sit-ups portion of the PFT, and I'm within a 1:30 of passing the run - but I'm sure not as limber as I was when I was 18.

I did basic at 27. If you have actual no-poo poo issues you won't make it past MEPS. With todays recruiting climate you may very well not make it past without any issues anyway. As long as you can do the three events that give a score the rest is stupid moto bullshit that everyone will get yelled at for even if they do good enough to get a check in the box. With the theoretical maturity that comes with age (being less retarded than an 18 year old. A high bar to clear) you will probably get tagged with stupid moto bullshit "student leadership". Noticing a stupid moto bullshit pattern? If you go in just keep your head down, mouth shut, ears open and color in the lines.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:lol: at anyone who buys the line that NG is just disaster relief. Being a cook is probably the worst; I'd rather be a truck driver.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What do NG cooks do anyway? Aren't all Army chow halls staffed fully by KBR?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They actually cook for us in the field.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

What do NG cooks do anyway? Aren't all Army chow halls staffed fully by KBR?

In the field they either pull the heat tabs on the UGR-E meals (MRE main meals that feed like 30 people) or heat up water and drop the UGR (like UGR-Es except you have to heat with water) pans into it until the meals are hot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, hold on a sec. Maybe she has a degree in women's studies.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hekk posted:

In the field they either pull the heat tabs on the UGR-E meals (MRE main meals that feed like 30 people) or heat up water and drop the UGR (like UGR-Es except you have to heat with water) pans into it until the meals are hot.

That's not entirely true. Ours have a big rear end field kitchen trailer thingy that they use to make awful food in.

Punkey
Apr 24, 2010
Going into the Army in a month as an 09S, and I have a few questions about OCS, specifically branching and how much rear end I have to kick in the OML rankings. I'm doing pretty well for PT for the most part (just slower than the maximum on my run, but pretty good on push-ups/sit-ups), but knowing that PT scores are a big chunk of those rankings and that I'm going in with people that have done ROTC/West Point and have done PT with those three things in mind for years, I'm a bit worried about ending up doing well but getting blown away in PT and how that might impact branch selection. I'm hoping to end up in Signal Corps or MI, and I've just been striking out on finding information on what the spread on OML scores are, or even how important ranking is to the branching process.

Punkey fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 6, 2014

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice

Loden Taylor posted:

Anyone have experience with going through Army basic in their 30s? I'm gearing up to go in as a 42R, Army Musician. I've got a good number of friends currently in the bands, so I've got an idea of what I'm in for, but they mostly went in right after college when they were in their mid 20s.

I don't have any health problems, and I'm in ok shape - I could easily pass the push-ups and sit-ups portion of the PFT, and I'm within a 1:30 of passing the run - but I'm sure not as limber as I was when I was 18.

I went through basic when I was 32 as a 09S back in 2006 when the bar was set pretty low to get in. We had guys getting wavers for everything back then from medical to felonies. If you've got some life experience under your belt and realize it's just a game you play for 9 or 10 weeks, you'll be fine. The DIs gave me a little poo poo about being a 09S initially, but all it really meant was having me do some of their paperwork and being in a leadership spot at some point.

Maturity levels will vary wildly in a platoon of 40-60 guys due to age difference and upbringing, but its all part of the experience. Just like anywhere you go, you'll love some, you'll hate some, and you may never see any of them again after basic, so there is that. Like the previous poster said, don't be or act like a dipshit, and you'll be fine.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua

Punkey posted:

Going into the Army in a month as an 09S, and I have a few questions about OCS, specifically branching and how much rear end I have to kick in the OML rankings. I'm doing pretty well for PT for the most part (just slower than the maximum on my run, but pretty good on push-ups/sit-ups), but knowing that PT scores are a big chunk of those rankings and that I'm going in with people that have done ROTC/West Point and have done PT with those three things in mind for years, I'm a bit worried about ending up doing well but getting blown away in PT and how that might impact branch selection. I'm hoping to end up in Signal Corps or MI, and I've just been striking out on finding information on what the spread on OML scores are, or even how important ranking is to the branching process.

I went through as a 09W (warrant) for an aviation slot. Like jeromas said, expect some extra attention in basic but it's a joke. Also take advantage of bct as an opportunity to lose about 10 to 15 pounds and shave some time off your run. Don't sweat the PT too much, after basic you should be well on par with any flimsy drill the ROTC guys are doing and likely the West Pointers too (unless you're just a lazy poo poo right now). MI and Aviation were the most sought after branches from what I was told. After it's all said and done, just do your best and don't worry about it because needs of the army trumps OML, and if they need 30 transportation officers....guess what?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's pretty young. I'm going into Navy boot this winter at the grand old age of 37.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

That's pretty young. I'm going into Navy boot this winter at the grand old age of 37.

UGH

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm going in as reserve e3 and IST A school. It's gonna be ... What do the young kids say these days? Hella rad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus Christ. Your high school peers will be RETIRING from the military before you finish training.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua

Godholio posted:

Jesus Christ. Your high school peers will be RETIRING from the military before you finish training.

But just young enough to retire before the mandatory separation age of 62 :smugdog:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

I know sad right? poo poo happens in life and sometimes you just need to retrain. The whole police thing didn't work out and the armored car industry was a dead end. I'm in good shape, the family life is stable and there's a huge market for system admins with clearance. I'll be making about the same money or slightly more than what I'm currently pulling while away at school.

Also I don't know of a single high school peer retiring from the military because the combat vets all separated early due to injuries and PTSD and the one officer I know of left way early. Actually I have one peer who can retire from the coast guard in five years but he's the only one I know of.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Thanks for the replies so far, I have shared them with my friend.

She is not hell-bent on cooking. If anyone has a MOS recommendation, please let me know. If I can quote her, "All the chauvinist pricks please refrain from commenting. Women don't belong in the military, whatever." She is not a brain-washed rear end in a top hat, she has never talked to a recruiter, only people she knows in real life, and that is why we are seeking other opinions.

Does anyone have any advice on branches? Army vs Air Force, etc? Does already having a four-year degree really matter? FYI it's in English, which, without a masters, is irrelevant in the civilian world. Her goal is to obtain a graduate degree.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Koivunen posted:

She is not hell-bent on cooking. If anyone has a MOS recommendation, please let me know. If I can quote her, "All the chauvinist pricks please refrain from commenting. Women don't belong in the military, whatever." She is not a brain-washed rear end in a top hat, she has never talked to a recruiter, only people she knows in real life, and that is why we are seeking other opinions.

Does anyone have any advice on branches? Army vs Air Force, etc? Does already having a four-year degree really matter? FYI it's in English, which, without a masters, is irrelevant in the civilian world. Her goal is to obtain a graduate degree.

The army literally sucks the hardest everywhere they go.

Also, if this thread is irritating her feminist streak, the actual military is going to hurt. Especially in the army as a cook.

Edit: I really can't find anything misogynistic beyond her being a recruiters wet dream. She is asking for advice, we are giving it. Sorry for exploding her deeply held and terribly wrong misconceptions regarding military service.

Make sure she enjoys her open general contract because she knows better.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 8, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Why is she not pursuing a commission?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I know sad right? poo poo happens in life and sometimes you just need to retrain. The whole police thing didn't work out and the armored car industry was a dead end. I'm in good shape, the family life is stable and there's a huge market for system admins with clearance. I'll be making about the same money or slightly more than what I'm currently pulling while away at school.

Also I don't know of a single high school peer retiring from the military because the combat vets all separated early due to injuries and PTSD and the one officer I know of left way early. Actually I have one peer who can retire from the coast guard in five years but he's the only one I know of.

These...these should be red flags. I mean, it's probably past the point of convincing you of anything, but drat dude. I hope you're shooting for a 4-and-out and burn up the GI Bill?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Koivunen posted:

Has she looked into this AT ALL? Or just asked the recruiter what she should do? Holy gently caress.

With a degree you can (potentially) join as an officer. You tell people what to do, get told what to do by higher ranking officers, and get paid pretty drat well. She is trying to enlist. She will be outranked by everyone. EVERYONE. They will all tell her what to do, and none of it will be interesting or fun. She will have a lovely job (this is an assumption on my part, but I'm pretty confident). She will get paid jack poo poo.

English WITH a masters is almost useless, by the way. If she's looking to teach, she needs a phd to have a decent shot at a job. The adjunct pools are full of phds and a master's isn't competitive. Before she commits herself to anything, military or not, she needs to loving do some basic research. She has no idea what she's qualified (or not) for, and she's basically relying on secondhand knowledge from here and from her recruiter, who is honest-to-god the last person she can trust in this matter.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

These...these should be red flags. I mean, it's probably past the point of convincing you of anything, but drat dude. I hope you're shooting for a 4-and-out and burn up the GI Bill?

Uh I'm doing the navy reserve. I wasn't offered a four year contract. I'm not even sure I'm eligible for GI bill benefits until I serve at least one call up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You get the Reserve GI Bill, which is ~$360 a month plus whatever your state might kick in. Some states will get you a free ride to college while being a reservist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

You get the Reserve GI Bill, which is ~$360 a month plus whatever your state might kick in. Some states will get you a free ride to college while being a reservist.

Yeah I'll be looking into that ASAP to complete my BA.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm pretty sure reservists come in at the 40% rate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

That's the number I heard but it was connected to being deployed for at least 12 months before I could tap it. A school time counts but not boot.

vains
May 26, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

That's the number I heard but it was connected to being deployed for at least 12 months before I could tap it. A school time counts but not boot.

12 months would put you at 60%. 24 months would put you at 80% and the VA considers initial entry training when calculating your service time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

12 months would put you at 60%. 24 months would put you at 80% and the VA considers initial entry training when calculating your service time.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I don't have all my numbers in front of me and I'm extremely new to the "squeeze out as much as you can" game here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Maybe it's different for Marine/Navy reservists but initial training for Army Reserve/Guard doesn't count towards Post 9/11 unless you have something like > 24 months of active duty service, including initial training.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Maybe it's different for Marine/Navy reservists but initial training for Army Reserve/Guard doesn't count towards Post 9/11 unless you have something like > 24 months of active duty service, including initial training.

It's the same across the services.

I was deployed when Post 9/11 was put into effect but I remember asking some new joins when I got back and they all said they were getting 40%.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dunno. I've never heard that, ever.

It's double weird for people in the Guard because of our dual status situation regarding active duty orders, which can be under Title 10 (Federal control) or Title 32 (State control). Maybe I'll apply just to see what the VA says.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
So my situation keeps getting more complicated. Basically it boils down to my recruiter told me to lie on some stuff and not include it on my sf-86 and I stupidly listened, now I don't know whether I should go forward. What he told me to lie about was non criminal police involvement, which I only have 2 instances of. One time I was leaving a party at my school and the police were waiting outside taking as many people away as they could for something called protective custody, which is where they bring you to the station keep you there for a few hours and let you go, I was unfortunate enough to be one of the people they singled out, they never arrest you and at most there is a police report saying I was there, but they may have fingerprinted me but I'm unsure considering it was a few years ago. The second time I was coming home from the bar and got jumped by some random kids and punched in the face. I went back to my dorm and the guard on duty called an ambulance because I had blood on my shirt and a cut eye, the ambulance arrived and the police did to, admittedly I was kinda drunk but coherent but more out of it from getting sucker punched. They talked to me and told me that I had to go to the hospital or they would force me so I agreed to go.

I know I could make changes to the sf-86 usually but the problem is I already went through meps and signed the form saying my sf-86 was accurate with the classifier before my waivers were put through, but didn't enter DEP because my recruiter messed some stuff up. For the rate I want I need secret clearance so here's my question, how screwed am I? I've read and researched literally hours into the process but nobody seems to have been in a similar situation that I can find. There are records of these incidents because I went to the station to request them. But from what I understand for secret they only run a national agency check(through the FBI anytime you've been fingerprinted and or arrested) and a local agency check. What I can't find any information on is what a local agency check is. Most police departments have criminal records and records of police contact that they keep for their own records, these incidents would fall under police contact. So would these incidents come up in a secret clearance investigation? If they did would it be up to the police department to choose to provide them, or would the DoD specifically ask for non criminal contact records? I just would like to know if I'm wasting my time because I don't want to get past basic to be told I'm being kicked out for being dumb and listening to my recruiter.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

I was actually in your same situation, I withheld some drug use from my SF-86 and then got super paranoid and guilty about it. I told my recruiter, and he said we could just pretend it never happened, or I could go back to MEPS and explain. I decided to come clean, went back to MEPS, and all was forgiven.

Of course if I could go back and do it again I would have rather not joined the military, but whatev man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe you can play dumb when/if they confront you. I don't feel like digging up my old SF86s to see how the questions are phrased (and I think it's changed a bit anyway) but you might be able to pretend you're a dumb teenager who didn't realize it needed to be listed since you were never actually arrested. I dunno.

Edit: Keep in mind that clearance approval is SEPARATE from joining the military. And arguably easier, since there's a limit on how many people can join but not a limit on clearances.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Honestly, I think you'll be ok. If it comes up in your investigation obviously don't deny it. Just be honest and say you didn't realize it was something you needed to report since it wasn't an actual arrest. And personally, I don't really know if I'd report something like that either.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Never heard of an investigator coming around and asking anyone for poo poo on a secret investigation.

Top secret definitely, but not a secret.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I got denied my clearance for a $500 bill I had unpaid against my credit that I failed to disclose. 45min later and a phone call to the collection agency (and $500 no longer in my bank account) I got approved for the clearance. Secret really isn't that difficult to get.

Neither of those two situations were arrests that you were found guilty of/plead to/ currently pending so no reason to include them.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
What concerns me is the wording on the sf-86 it says something along the lines of "list all police interactions" then they had me sign 4 or 5 different things saying that I had no other contact with them. I have been arrested before and it was dropped and the waiver process is done but I've heard that multiple incidents involving the police is cause to deny clearance because it seems like a pattern of disobeying authority, and I'm sure it will look that way to someone with no context on top of looking like I am purposely leaving stuff out. It also doesn't help that I didn't include the trip to the hospital on my medical history, I read a horror story of someone in Navy Nuke school who had an emergency room visit come up on a top secret clearance that he didn't mention and was kicked out. So if they saw the police report they'd know I was brought there so its a mess, I just don't wanna run the risk if possible so its making me kind of nervous because I wouldn't know until halfway through A school one way or another.

Virginia Slams fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Grody posted:

What concerns me is the wording on the sf-86 it says something along the lines of "list all police interactions" then they had me sign 4 or 5 different things saying that I had no other contact with them. I have been arrested before and it was dropped and the waiver process is done but I've heard that multiple incidents involving the police is cause to deny clearance because it seems like a pattern of disobeying authority, and I'm sure it will look that way to someone with no context on top of looking like I am purposely leaving stuff out. It also doesn't help that I didn't include the trip to the hospital on my medical history, I read a horror story of someone in Navy Nuke school who had an emergency room visit come up on a top secret clearance that he didn't mention and was kicked out. So if they saw the police report they'd know I was brought there so its a mess, I just don't wanna run the risk if possible so its making me kind of nervous because I wouldn't know until halfway through A school one way or another.

quit bein a bitch and let it ride

• Locked thread