Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Super excited about the new Brogue version. Maybe I'll get back into it again.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Brogue 1.7.4
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused polymorph to do nothing (when the randomly chosen polymorph type was already the type of the monster).

I'm not sure this is a bug - it seems reasonable to me that a monster could happen to change into its own type. The eye rolling moments of polymorphing a dragon into another dragon are worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I prefer tiles in most games but for some reason they just seem really cluttered in Brogue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've been playing a good bit of Noir Syndrome since I picked it up on sale. It's a fun little game, but it kinda gets old quick, for me at least.

But what about all of the costumes you can unlock? :ohdear:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

It's more nuanced there I think - you get a view of what monsters are holding, but identifying individual monsters is still slower I think. (g gets parsed a lot faster than "drawing of goblin").

I think that it depends from person to person.
Personally I always preferred tiles over ascii because it's easier for me to get a complete picture of the current situation when there are graphics present because I just can't "see past the text" and I always end up having to take a lot more time every turn to make a decision.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Sunless Sea will be more roguelike once the location randomisation is activated presumably.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sleepy Owl posted:

I prefer tiles in most games but for some reason they just seem really cluttered in Brogue.

They are. The ASCII is really pretty in Brogue and it's not really hard to learn what things are after a few minutes since it's a fairly compact game compared to others.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I think that's the defining line for me. ASCII is fantastic when you have a limited palette and tiles are great when you have way too many variations to properly depict them with 56 potential characters.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Found a pretty neat trick with the Flail, one of the new weapons in Brogue. If you squat in a doorway and have some unaware enemies coming, you can pop in and out of the doorway to get easy, low-risk stealth kills. This can seriously trivialize some scary encounters.

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

Am I being impertinent for wondering why the developer of the game can't compile the darn thing himself? (I want me some new Brogue.)

Dude only has one computer and it only runs OS X. That's why Brogue didn't even have any officially hosted Windows or Linux binaries for so long, it took a while for people to convince him to host their own compiling work.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Can someone type up some starting out tips and tricks for Brogue maybe? I really like how it looks but i have no idea what weapons or armor are useful or ...

Like, are you supposed to collect a bunch of stuff to be able to win, how many floors are there etc? I played a couple of floors but i didn't feel like was making any progress and it's not really clear from the getgo what the gameplay will be like as i didn't see classes or skills?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Like, are you supposed to collect a bunch of stuff to be able to win, how many floors are there etc? I played a couple of floors but i didn't feel like was making any progress and it's not really clear from the getgo what the gameplay will be like as i didn't see classes or skills?

Roughly, get to the 26th level of the dungeon, find the amulet of yendor, return to the surface. Character progression is nearly entirely based on what items you find, and which items you choose to enchant.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Basically everything you need to know about brogue is contained in the in-game info. Like if you mouse over a monster it will tell you exactly how much damage it does/how quickly it can kill you, and you have similar info screens for weapons/armor/staves/etc.

Probably the most straightforward strategy is to run around until you find a good weapon, (battleaxe/broadsword/war hammer/staff of lightning), and enchant it until you can use it with your current strength. Use-ID your items but watch out because lots of them are dangerous (probably the worse is the scroll of summoning or whatever that creates a bunch of random hostile monsters around you). Objective is what Arrhythmia said.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also if you can get your hands on an armor "of Respiration" they are extremely handy because they cancel out any effects of a gas in rooms/traps.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think what I like most about Brogue is that you can figure out a lot, or all of it out on your own without wasting years of time, or digging into discussions of special knowledge online. It's very self-contained and tight. Shift-D will bring up the list of all possible items to ID, for example. Some decent familiarity with the genre is all you need, and the standard player determination that is required of any roguelike. It's not down to special knowledge, it's down to skill and experience. And it's still frickin' hard (at least for a fairly casual player like me).

I'm definitely not saying that strategies shouldn't be discussed, and that players should all be their own islands, only that maybe that's why there isn't that much Brogue chat on here: because there doesn't need to be.

My early game strategy tends to be to collect stuff until my pack is fully loaded, then try potions out until I get a Identify Magic potion. Since you have to quaff-ID stuff anyway, this gets that game out of the way when monsters aren't too much of a pain. Mainly though, this weeds out all the cursed stuff in my pack and on the level (and in any vaults), and thanks to the limited number of items possible, also helps me guess what things are without using them. This is probably a pretty obvious strategy.

In vaults, I'm probably not being real smart, but if I can't positively identify armor or weapons as inherently magical, I will generally skip on them and go for the highest-power ring, charm, or staff I can find. "Welp, guess I'm a fire mage, then."

So far, I'm usually pretty happy to make it to floor 13-16. I'm really not very good at this, but it's a coffee break game for me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thanks Sunless Sea.

The odds for these two challenges are 50% and 7%, respectively. Failing the challenge ends the game.

(I let my terror get to 100)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Fallen London's writing and world-building was great, but the "grinding" was unbearable. Sunless Sea looks fun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bouchacha posted:

Fallen London's writing and world-building was great, but the "grinding" was unbearable. Sunless Sea looks fun

Yeah, Fallen London was cool for what it was but being a browser game really held it back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Yeah, Fallen London was cool for what it was but being a browser game really held it back.

Not so much the browser-game aspect that bothered me as it being very intentionally written towards getting you to log in for 5 minutes every day instead of a few hours every few days.

I have a friend who's been enjoying getting himself into horrible amounts of trouble with Sunless Sea. It seems worth keeping an eye on if nothing else.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone have any experience with Delver? It has an incredibly cool aesthetic that I love, but is it any good?

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Pedestrian dungeon crawler with poor combat, still if you like the aesthetic maybe that will carry it through, I did not bother playing it for long

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Delver? It has an incredibly cool aesthetic that I love, but is it any good?

I enjoy playing it, I got it on a sale of some sort so it only cost me $2 though. Not sure what the current price is.

They make some odd decisions but all in all I'm down with it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ah Map posted:

Pedestrian
My word, old chap, are we now discussing games for the proletariat? :11tea: :monocle:

Delver is currently pretty simple, but it's a fun take on the genre and if you enjoy FP games at all you'll get a kick out of it. There's traps, secret doors, gear upgrades, magic wands for long range pew pew fights, and the gold you die with becomes stat purchasing currency for your next life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed Delver more than Eldritch, as far as FP roguelikes go.

It was ridiculously easy though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Interesting, i bought it a long time ago on android and kind of lost interest in it. I might update it and check it out again, it sounds like it's changed quite a bit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

My word, old chap, are we now discussing games for the proletariat? :11tea: :monocle:
He categorizes games by the method of transportation, he's just being strictly correct :eng101:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for the words on Brogue :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Jordan7hm posted:

I enjoyed Delver more than Eldritch, as far as FP roguelikes go.

It was ridiculously easy though.

Try it again. They redid the cave system and made the game a shitload harder. Like before I would get to the bottom with ease, now I'm dying floor 1.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've tried with Delver, but my god, I just can't enjoy it. Every time I play, I end up disliking it enough that I promptly uninstall it afterwards.

It's happened about three times already.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
When was the last time you played it? As the last update redid the entire cave system.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, this game which was entirely remade after being greenlit is coming together nicely.

http://claustrophobiagame.tumblr.com/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

When was the last time you played it? As the last update redid the entire cave system.

I would say it was about two months ago. However, at that point, I barely started playing. Maybe it's the controls, as stupid as that sounds. I can't remember what it was, specifically. It felt like Minecraft, but worse.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Brogue 1.7.4

Every release of this is so good. I can't wait to try the new weapons.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mark Johnson announced that starting in September he's going to do a year of full-time development on Ultima Ratio Regum. He works at a decent clip even part-time so it should be interesting to see what he does with the game as his main focus.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Mark Johnson announced that starting in September he's going to do a year of full-time development on Ultima Ratio Regum. He works at a decent clip even part-time so it should be interesting to see what he does with the game as his main focus.

Knowing nothing about the man, I still have my doubts that the game will ever be his main focus. I've see his type before, being more interested in creating a sandbox than a game.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I bought Delver with some card money over the summer sale and while it's improved, it's still pretty bland. Even in its current form it took my only a few hours to beat and it has almost no real replay value. I don't regret the purchase like I do with Eldritch, but eh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Farquar posted:

Knowing nothing about the man, I still have my doubts that the game will ever be his main focus. I've see his type before, being more interested in creating a sandbox than a game.

He posts in this thread right? Maybe we have to say his name 3 times...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Every release of this is so good. I can't wait to try the new weapons.

They're both neat, but I think the flail is a lot more interesting, based on one or two games so far. I love his aesthetic of few but interesting options. On the other hand the patches of shadow look almsot the same as bloodwort gas and caustic gas, which is a bit disconcerting. The light looks good but perhaps a grey shade rather than purple would be better?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What? I can tell the difference between caustic and confusing gas and shadows easily. I just can't tell what the lighting is like in a square without stepping into it to see if my character symbol changes color :v:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I picked up One-Way Heroics during the steam summer sale...does it seem really easy for a roguelike, or am I just that amazing? Since I've picked it up I've now beaten the game at least once with every class, recruited all but one sidekick and gotten all three endings. From the description I was expecting a game that would be kicking my rear end, combining what looked like a fairly traditional RL with the advancing doom screen.

Which is not to say it wasn't fun, and certainly worth the pocket change I paid for it on the steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone have experience with Nuclear Throne or Steam Marines?

Nuclear Throne: http://nuclearthrone.com

Steam Marines: http://www.steammarines.com

Edit: what is the consensus on Eldritch? Good/bad?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2014