Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I only just realized that this show is Evangelion is space, and I never knew how much I needed that until now.

Death to the Bishie though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I only just realized that this show is Evangelion is space, and I never knew how much I needed that until now.

Most of the cast isn't completely dysfunctional, though, which is sort of the core of Evangelion.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Pyradox posted:

Well, not Tanikaze - he's still as much of a cardboard cutout as he ever was and seems to just be repeating the same interactions over and over. How many times has the Captain asked him to defend Sidonia at this point? She keeps asking but I don't ever get the sense he was having second thoughts. Or really any thoughts at all on the matter.
He's pretty much there to have a bunch stereotypical shonen protagonist traits for absurd reasons. He gets injured repeatedly and then heals quickly afterwards (because he doesn't know what he's doing outside of a cockpit and he's been genetically engineered to regenerate). He doesn't know how to deal members of the opposite sex (because he's been raised underground by his grandpa playing videogames everyday). He eats a large amount of food (because he has a normal human metabolism relative to all the posthumans he's around). He's the ace pilot (because he's cloned from and trained by the previous ace pilot).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

NowonSA posted:

they both have robots and aliens

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Phew, the show is getting another season. Hooray!

This was pretty good, not anything super incredibly groundbreaking? But a really solid show that adapts the manga well. The CG even got better as time went on, or maybe I was just getting used to it? But for the last episode things definitely looked a lot smoother and nicer.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Phew, the show is getting another season. Hooray!

This was pretty good, not anything super incredibly groundbreaking? But a really solid show that adapts the manga well. The CG even got better as time went on, or maybe I was just getting used to it? But for the last episode things definitely looked a lot smoother and nicer.
The last episode's CG looked better because most of the episode was well-directed action sequences. The character animation, like the captain taking a deep breath, was as bad as the first episode.

Still, I'm looking forward to the next season and going to start reading the manga right away. Sidonia was my most-anticipated show every week, over much better shows Ping Pong and Mushishi.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

The next season preview was all I ever wanted to see in a preview if they were going to do a second season. Also if you goons who enjoyed the anime but haven't read the manga, I highly suggest you check it out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi DO NOT READ THE CHAPTER TITLES!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tyberius posted:

The next season preview was all I ever wanted to see in a preview if they were going to do a second season. Also if you goons who enjoyed the anime but haven't read the manga, I highly suggest you check it out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi DO NOT READ THE CHAPTER TITLES!

So, at which chapter should someone who watched the Anime start?

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

I'd suggest the very start, really. Some bits were cut along the way and others changed to fit the 12 episode anime format better. The anime was great, but if you started reading from where it left off, there'd be several plot points that'd make you scratch your head.

(Also, the manga has been licensed by Vertical.)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I will say two things.

1) Best girl incoming
2) This will be the moment where Sidonia starts to diverge from the superzombie siege mentality as exemplified by AoT, into something grander and stranger

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, they ended that fight with a loving rocket punch. Between that and the Battle of Endor vibe to the whole fight against the hive-ship, it was great to see the show remembering to play it oldschool sometimes.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
So did gauna-Hoshijiro disintegrate because he destroyed her main body?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
No, because Ena-Hoshijiro was originally attached to a Gauna-Hoshijiro, which got exploded earlier.

Just what happened is crucial to the next arc of the story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering if they were going to tease the best character at the end of the end of the show. Not disappointed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nice, get your asses ready for season 2: Izana gets *even* more competition (poor Izana).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Izana. :negative: Though I've gotta say, Knights of Sidonia has the weirdest love interests.

I'm pretty happy for a second season, sometimes I found it difficult to follow the manga (probably due to an uneven fan translation) and in some ways the anime streamlined the story and made it easier to digest.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Based on that quick preview the only girl that matters looks spot on and amazing.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Season 1 is coming to Netflix in July as an exclusive. Somehow they are calling it a Netflix Original though so some people thought it meant Netflix is making an anime.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70301578?locale=en-US

I like how the description calles Nagate a low-born youth.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 28, 2014

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This turned out pretty great; I can't get enough of Izana's pouting. That fight with Benisuzume (or whatever) was fun and frantic but suffered because of the frame rate. I want the frame interpolated version of that asap.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow, what a great finale. Gotta say, even though I am super excited for another season that would have been a pretty satisfying ending if that was all we were ever going to get.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UP AND ADAM posted:

This turned out pretty great; I can't get enough of Izana's pouting. That fight with Benisuzume (or whatever) was fun and frantic but suffered because of the frame rate. I want the frame interpolated version of that asap.

Not pictured: a girl flirting with captain eats-a-lot.

Anyways, the faces (specially when Tanikaze gets kicked by any of the clone sisters, or the mechanic) are pretty good in the manga, even if the show has mastered 3D pouting. The show covers chapters 1-26 so you guys could read those to get some extra background or whatever.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 28, 2014

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

trucutru posted:

The show covers chapters 1-26 so you guys could read those to get some extra background or whatever.

I did just that and one big thing stands out:
Manga/Future anime (?) spoilers
Benisuzume's still alive?! In the show her destruction seemed pretty final, but from what I can hazard, she's a constant threat throughout the manga so there seems to be a pretty big divergence there...

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Mordja posted:

I did just that and one big thing stands out:
Manga/Future anime (?) spoilers
Benisuzume's still alive?! In the show her destruction seemed pretty final, but from what I can hazard, she's a constant threat throughout the manga so there seems to be a pretty big divergence there...

Re:Manga/Future anime (?) spoilers

She get's foamed in the manga too, but survives. Foaming could presumably be a response to extreme shock rather than just death. The only difference in the anime is that they didn't spell out that she survived by showing the core afterwards.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

trucutru posted:

Anyways, the faces (specially when Tanikaze gets kicked by any of the clone sisters, or the mechanic) are pretty good in the manga, even if the show has mastered 3D pouting. The show covers chapters 1-26 so you guys could read those to get some extra background or whatever.

They cut the one scene I had wanted to see animated from the show. This is prior to Ren jumping down infront of Nagate and Izana concerning her clone sister En who was still in a coma from an earlier battle.

O...onigiri

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Tyberius posted:

They cut the one scene I had wanted to see animated from the show. This is prior to Ren jumping down infront of Nagate and Izana concerning her clone sister En who was still in a coma from an earlier battle.

O...onigiri

Is this thing translated by robots?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

darkgray posted:

Is this thing translated by robots?

As scanlations go, I'd actually rank that among the more readable and naturalistic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The scary part is that you eventually start thinking of it as normal.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it's no Dr. Snakes, that's for sure. Oh god, I wish it was Dr. Snakes

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's been a few years since I put the Manga down about halfway through vol. 4...am I misremembering things or was the whole harem thing a lot more subtle in the manga?

When I first heard about this show I was light "ugh, CG characters...bleh that worked great in Berserk, right?" Nope, THIS IS THE GODDAMN FUTURE RIGHT HERE. Someone finally got it right. Sometimes you can't even tell. These are the best cell-shaded CG characters since the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games. (And it's way, way better than that.)

Phobophilia posted:

1) Best girl incoming
2) This will be the moment where Sidonia starts to diverge from the superzombie siege mentality as exemplified by AoT, into something grander and stranger

As much as I want to like AoT, unless they start seriously moving the plot along in season 2 I may give up on it. I think Knights of Sidonia may have ruined me on dragged-out cocktease plotting for a very long time.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

grrarg posted:

The last episode's CG looked better because most of the episode was well-directed action sequences. The character animation, like the captain taking a deep breath, was as bad as the first episode.

As someone who just binged the show out of boredom on netflix: you are objectively wrong.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Interestingly, the final episode on Netflix is apparently considerably longer (6-8 minutes) than the one that aired on Japanese TV. Some kind of director's cut?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just discovered this show on Netflix. It's the first anime I've been drawn into in several years and am really enjoying it so far. I just finished episode 3 and am disappointed that awesome knight squad 1 managed to get themselves killed right off the bat. I found myself hecking the characters - "Hey guys, this is maybe why you don't send out a single squad. Or let people romantically involved with each other be on the same four person squad. Or broadcast a mission live to all the cadets."

I mean maybe the immortal captain knew this was going to happen and it was all necessary, or that things get a bit slack after a century. But still.

It also reminds me I should start reading "Attack on Titian" again.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just discovered this show on Netflix. It's the first anime I've been drawn into in several years and am really enjoying it so far. I just finished episode 3 and am disappointed that awesome knight squad 1 managed to get themselves killed right off the bat. I found myself hecking the characters - "Hey guys, this is maybe why you don't send out a single squad. Or let people romantically involved with each other be on the same four person squad. Or broadcast a mission live to all the cadets."

I mean maybe the immortal captain knew this was going to happen and it was all necessary, or that things get a bit slack after a century. But still.

Those guys were the equivalent of star athletes being sent into real combat for the first time. They may have had the skills, but they lacked experience. When things started going wrong they panicked and fell apart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is that the one where humanity is beset by hideous monsters with long, lustrous red hair?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got a Netflix trial just to watch this and it better come to Blu-ray/DVD too since my ISP is probably being throttled and I couldn't really get good quality video (although given how most Netflix originals like OITNB have made it to disc I'd assume it's gonna happen). First episode was cool. The mechs have a sort of Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator look going for them which I like and I'm not too put off by the CGI. It kind of does work for the mechs and although there's a little uncanny valley the characters look pretty alright. Definitely sticking with it.

Oh, and the OP rocks. Love how the main tune kicks in.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Its so nice seeing more people enjoying Knights of Sidonia because of Netflix :unsmith:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, it's really easy for it to hook people it seems, especially with what happens in episode 3 and 4 :stare:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I like this show because it has characters who are not given specific genders but still get jealous over the male protagonist. I don't really like the animation direction at all; it reminds me of Tron: Uprising and though I think that show owns, I too hated the animation with that. I am on episode 5 I think, right now, getting a real Battlestar Galactica feel right now.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I thought around episode 5 was when the animation started to get better, but like other people said maybe I was just used to it by that point. Which is the best site for reading the manga? I've been using mangafox, is kissmanga better/worse/equal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

I thought around episode 5 was when the animation started to get better, but like other people said maybe I was just used to it by that point. Which is the best site for reading the manga? I've been using mangafox, is kissmanga better/worse/equal?

I prefer Kissmanga just for the one page loading for each chapter and they seem to be on the ball when new chapters/better scanlations are released.

• Locked thread