Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really enjoy Metal Gear: Revengeance and Shadow Warrior, are there more games like that for the PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

I really enjoy Metal Gear: Revengeance and Shadow Warrior, are there more games like that for the PC?

Binary Domain would probably do the trick.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Dareon posted:

Recommend my mother a game. She's approaching 70 but still sharp, and is proving exceedingly hard to shop for. From observation and interrogation, I have determined a game for her must be:
  • Turn-based. Real-time with pause is possible, but it has to be slow enough that she can react, and her reaction time is slowing down.
  • Pretty. Over-bloomed, real-is-brown shootymans bloodfests are pretty much right out. Cutesy little-girl crap is going too far in the other direction.
  • Complex, but not obtuse. She's at her best when she can figure out a complex system and use it to the fullest extent possible.
  • Menu-driven if possible. She has trouble keeping what every button on the controller does straight.
  • On XBox 360 (or backwards-compatible Xbox games). We have a PS2, NDS, and Gamecube, but the 360 controller is the most comfortable for her. She can't sit at the computer for long without pain, either.

She might like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume for DS. It's a turn-based strategy RPG (Like FFT) that uses sprites, but has well-drawn character portraits. The battle system is pretty complex, there are definite rewards for getting really good at it, and it's a Tri-Ace game, meaning that unless you DO get good at it, the final boss will eat you alive. It is part of a series, but it explains things well enough that you don't need to play the other parts to understand it. It also has multiple endings. The biggest downside I can see is that the story is pretty drat bleak (main character more or less makes a deal with the devil so he can kill a goddess and avenge his father, you can perma-kill party members for special powers), but if she can handle that, I think she'd like it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Just got a Wii U. I have Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, and Wario Game and Watch. What are some other good games for the system? Is Super Mario 3d World any good? Single or Mutliplayer is cool, I have a regular group of friends with whom I can game. I'm also open to eShop classics, original wii, and virtual console games. Genre is open-season, as I'm just looking for "cream-of-the-crop" as it stands. Thanks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Super Mario 3D World is downright fantastic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

5thMouseButton posted:

Max Payne 3 felt like it had a ton of interrupted shooting by way of cutscenes every few minutes.

Sammus posted:

Have you played the new Tomb Raider? I found it to be similar to Uncharted, but better.

Thanks! I actually haven't played either of those (though I have Tomb Raider from a Steam sale).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Incarnate Dao posted:

Just got a Wii U. I have Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, and Wario Game and Watch. What are some other good games for the system? Is Super Mario 3d World any good? Single or Mutliplayer is cool, I have a regular group of friends with whom I can game. I'm also open to eShop classics, original wii, and virtual console games. Genre is open-season, as I'm just looking for "cream-of-the-crop" as it stands. Thanks!

After WW and Mario Kart, the best on U are Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3U and Shovel Knight.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This may be a really narrow genre but aside from Liberal Crime Squad and Gangsters, are there any other games where you have lieutenants/squads and you give them orders for the day/week?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any WW1 or trench warfare RTS games?

I reinstalled Company of Heroes and I always have fun playing the game wrong and building up huge standstills on either sides of a bridge and poo poo. Seems like a WW1 setting would really lend itself to that sort of gameplay. Maybe it's just me but I think a game where you spend the buildup phase carving out a trench line and taking potshots with artillery would own.

I definitely don't want some lovely tower defense game though just because it has WW1 models.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Royal Scrub posted:

I reinstalled Company of Heroes and I always have fun playing the game wrong and building up huge standstills on either sides of a bridge and poo poo. Seems like a WW1 setting would really lend itself to that sort of gameplay. Maybe it's just me but I think a game where you spend the buildup phase carving out a trench line and taking potshots with artillery would own.

I definitely don't want some lovely tower defense game though just because it has WW1 models.

There aren't many WW1 games and what there are is mostly flying games. There's a few strategy games but they're on a bigger, country-wide level, not really trench warfare. There's apparently a trench warfare rts game for iOS although it looks kinda lovely.
Valiant Hearts just came out and is amazing and is all about trench warfare, but its an adventure / puzzle game.

Oh wait this is perfect for you: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-1918

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?157509-WW1-Great-War-1918-Mod-UPDATED-30th-May-*British-War-Machine

That actually doesn't look half bad, may have to try it out myself. There's a few pretty good Company of Heroes mods.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Royal Scrub posted:

I don't know if this fits your criteria, but there's a browser game that might do the trick for a short while. The trenches are prebuilt, but you set up your troops in them and have artillery access.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Getting a new laptop at the end of summer and was thinking of doing a bit of MMO stuff on it - I'd quite like to get into the community side of those games, since I haven't really before. Which games are moderately casual-friendly, have a decent goon presence, and are resource-light enough to run well on a laptop?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Getting a new laptop at the end of summer and was thinking of doing a bit of MMO stuff on it - I'd quite like to get into the community side of those games, since I haven't really before. Which games are moderately casual-friendly, have a decent goon presence, and are resource-light enough to run well on a laptop?

I'd say Guild Wars 2 or WoW, depending upon if you prefer no monthly fee or more content.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say Guild Wars 2 or WoW, depending upon if you prefer no monthly fee or more content.

GW2 did look enticing, but I was slightly worried about it being a newer game. I'm really not expecting a graphical powerhouse of a computer, so will it still run OK without looking like rear end?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There aren't many WW1 games and what there are is mostly flying games. There's a few strategy games but they're on a bigger, country-wide level, not really trench warfare. There's apparently a trench warfare rts game for iOS although it looks kinda lovely.
Valiant Hearts just came out and is amazing and is all about trench warfare, but its an adventure / puzzle game.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?157509-WW1-Great-War-1918-Mod-UPDATED-30th-May-*British-War-Machine

That actually doesn't look half bad, may have to try it out myself. There's a few pretty good Company of Heroes mods.

Nice yeah I looked at a few CoH mods but none of them seemed that extensive. Could be good!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Turtlicious posted:

MGR is in many ways similar to Devil May Cry. DMC 3 and 4 are the best entries in that series and both are on PC. 3's port is kind of poopy and will take some fiddling to work properly but 4's port is goddamn perfect and even has a few additional features over the console releases. So I would highly recommend DMC4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

GW2 did look enticing, but I was slightly worried about it being a newer game. I'm really not expecting a graphical powerhouse of a computer, so will it still run OK without looking like rear end?

You can make do on a pretty old machine. As always, check the official minimum specs. They're not always exact but they at least give you a ballpark.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game

It appears it can even make do with on-board graphics or ancient graphics cards, so as long as you have a CPU and some RAM from the last few years, you should be more than fine.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Nice yeah I looked at a few CoH mods but none of them seemed that extensive. Could be good!

I highly recommend you try out Eastern Front mod if you haven't already. Its not WWI trench warfare, but its one of the best CoH mods there is, they add the Russians as a faction and they polished them very well and balanced them with the existing CoH factions.

I think its success is a big part of why CoH2 was all about the eastern front. (Although CoH1 + EF is better than CoH2 IMO)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 3, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Darth Walrus posted:

My computer is four years old and I can run it at what appears to be quite nice settings. Anecdotal, but I don't see it as needing a real powerhouse PC.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know the name of a web based game that's basically a D&D game? It was some f2p thing and the cash shop currency was pizzas I think? From what I remember it was straight up D&D with some grognard DM guy.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Does anyone know the name of a web based game that's basically a D&D game? It was some f2p thing and the cash shop currency was pizzas I think? From what I remember it was straight up D&D with some grognard DM guy.

Card Hunter

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

You're looking for http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926

Funny enough somebody asked the same question there on the most recent page!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

My computer is four years old and I can run it at what appears to be quite nice settings. Anecdotal, but I don't see it as needing a real powerhouse PC.

Right, it's just that I'll be using a laptop, so I'll likely have little opportunity to upgrade the graphics card.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, it's just that I'll be using a laptop, so I'll likely have little opportunity to upgrade the graphics card.

It runs fine on my mid range laptop - sometimes chugs a bit in massive fights or where's there's loads of people (mostly after new updates, at peak times), but it's mostly fine. It sort of depends on the laptop, but it really takes very little to run for the five man dungeons or the 5v5 pvp modes. Same goes for a lot of the open world levelling zones. The only places it really gives trouble are the big world bosses, the world vs world pvp, and when everyone is all in one place after new content releases - places where you can get hundreds of players all in one place firing off their skill effects and stuff. If it's a decent laptop and you don't mind the occasional chug, you'll be alright. If you're playing on an older or cheapo laptop or want silky smooth framerates everywhere you go, it's probably not the game for you.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 3, 2014

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
So, I'm finding myself in the mood to play an RPG where I get to be a powerful necromancer. I've played all the Diablo games, all the awesome necro mods for Skyrim and a few other games I'm probably not thinking of. I want more.

Does anyone know of a decent RPG I can play where I get to raise the dead to do my bidding? The ability to also be an awesome battlemage swinging around a sword and casting spells would be a plus.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jadz posted:

Does anyone know of a decent RPG I can play where I get to raise the dead to do my bidding? The ability to also be an awesome battlemage swinging around a sword and casting spells would be a plus.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes and no. You should be able to run through most content OK, but the game'll be a lot more sluggish when large-scale poo poo's going down. Big boss fights and large scale player content like WvW drives my own laptop to a halt.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

This mod is cool. It comes with its own maps so everything's trenched out and it makes some good changes so that it's not just a more boring CoH. Thanks for pointing it out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks buddy you're a real gem

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I started playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and it just oozes style in the narration, flashbacks, but what really nails it for me are the boss fights where it's you and the boss in a loving intense standoff.

I thought all the standoffs were going to be boring positioning and just shooting the guy when he draws, but this fucker, this fucker made me shake a bit because he's not called the fastest gun in the west for nothing.

John Wesley Hardin
(note, he only has two aces, not five)

In a standoff, you can kill a guy honorably meaning having to wait until they draw or you just straight up kill a guy without waiting for anything.

Killing Hardin honorably means you have use Gunslinger's mechanics properly to even have a chance.

The speed on the left is you keeping your hand close to your grip so you can draw faster. The focus on the right is moving the target reticule over the enemy so your shot will be more accurate when you eventually fire. The target reticule is very floaty so it's rather difficult to keep it on them. Keep doing it until heartbeats start sound which is when you keep an eye on the enemy's hand. When he goes for it, draw.

You can miss and shoot another shot plus with the added mechanic of bullet dodging (watch the bullet path and dodge the correct direction) adds a way to survive the first volley between you two.

Hardin just stands there, looking smug as hell. But when he draws, he draws both pistols so you have two bullets to dodge for everyone one you fire.

This is where I am now and I am considering just killing him because drat even at high focus and high speed, he still comes at you fast.

One more thing, you NEED to draw when he starts drawing else it's instant death for you.

I love this game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Any truly great strategy games that scratch the same itch as XCom (The original)?

I've played Jagged Alliance and Xenonauts, but they weren't anywhere near what I hoped they would be.

Also looking for games like Liberal Crime Squad in terms of organisational management, along with a roguelike as interesting as Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode or mods that sufficiently change the adventure mode.

Oh, and also a game like Homeworld in terms of concept, i.e running from a stronger enemy until you have enough firepower to take them on. Tried AI War, thought it was pretty average.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Any truly great strategy games that scratch the same itch as XCom (The original)?

I've played Jagged Alliance and Xenonauts, but they weren't anywhere near what I hoped they would be.

Also looking for games like Liberal Crime Squad in terms of organisational management, along with a roguelike as interesting as Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode or mods that sufficiently change the adventure mode.

Oh, and also a game like Homeworld in terms of concept, i.e running from a stronger enemy until you have enough firepower to take them on. Tried AI War, thought it was pretty average.

Tried XCOM: Long War? It is a mod for Firaxis XCOM that completely revises the game mechanics and balance to be a war of attrition the way the original UFO Defense was. Failing missions because you were too greedy and didn't know when to run is a real possibility, and your barracks is a revolving door that should see at least 30 soldiers at any given time, unlike how you could stick with half a dozen guys in vanilla Firaxis XCOM. We're going nuts over it in the XCOM thread, can't get enough of it.

There are two versions, one with the expansion Enemy Within, and a deprecated one for vanilla. If you play the EW one, take note there is also a patch .upk file you need to get and replace in your EW director, not just the installer.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 5, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are there any decent single player games with MMO type combat? And by MMO combat, I mean WoW style, real-time-with-global-cooldown combat.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any decent single player games with MMO type combat? And by MMO combat, I mean WoW style, real-time-with-global-cooldown combat.

From my understanding, Kingdoms of Amalur is exactly that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Invisible Ted posted:

From my understanding, Kingdoms of Amalur is exactly that.

I was thinking about a game with total MMO combat though, like with a hotbar and an underlying auto-attack system and everything. Also with an open world and an emphasis on exploring it. Amalur has the open world thing going for it, but not the combat. Amalur's combat is good, but not really MMO.

Thank you for the recommendation though!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any games with romance/relationships as a sideplot, or even the main focus of the game? Like Bioware's games but hopefully less awful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If Xenonauts isn't what you're looking for then I don't know what you want from a strategy game. Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 have better combat than XCOM and Xenonauts has better map and base management although interception is wonky.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrBims posted:

Tried XCOM: Long War? It is a mod for Firaxis XCOM that completely revises the game mechanics and balance to be a war of attrition the way the original UFO Defense was. Failing missions because you were too greedy and didn't know when to run is a real possibility, and your barracks is a revolving door that should see at least 30 soldiers at any given time, unlike how you could stick with half a dozen guys in vanilla Firaxis XCOM. We're going nuts over it in the XCOM thread, can't get enough of it.

Is the vanilla version still okay? Because I don't have Enemy Within.

al-azad posted:

If Xenonauts isn't what you're looking for then I don't know what you want from a strategy game. Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 have better combat than XCOM and Xenonauts has better map and base management although interception is wonky.

Xenonauts just lacks any charm whatsoever, its far too clinical. Jagged Alliance 2 is too much work when it comes to stat grinding else you aint hitting jack poo poo. Silent Storm though is an amazing game, and so is the sequel, but I've played them far too much.

GreatGreen posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles. It is the closest thing I can think of, and is absolutely fantastic.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Is the vanilla version still okay? Because I don't have Enemy Within.

I haven't tried it, I know the mod has gone through significant revisions in the past few months, and the EU version is half a year old. I can say that EW is well worth the price of admission, especially if you can get it at a lower price from someone who bought it during the summer sale.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jagged Alliance 2 is too much work when it comes to stat grinding else you aint hitting jack poo poo.
Odd, I've beaten the game several times and never once grinded stats. If you really want to raise your marksmanship with minimal work, you can always hire Scope at the beginning. She comes with a 99 marksmanship and the teaching trait which means any of her students will have their stats shoot (heh) up like crazy.

Getting better chance to hit tends to involve getting better equipment rather than grinding stats. You can also try the New Chance to Hit system which tends to reward automatic firing over the "headshot game" prevalent in late-game vanilla JA2. Give someone with the auto weapon trait (Ice is a good one) a PKM machine gun with a bipod and watch the damage numbers go up. Make sure it's through the Arulco Folding Stock mod since that's the only one that properly balances NCTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I was thinking about a game with total MMO combat though, like with a hotbar and an underlying auto-attack system and everything. Also with an open world and an emphasis on exploring it. Amalur has the open world thing going for it, but not the combat. Amalur's combat is good, but not really MMO.

Thank you for the recommendation though!

Dragon Age 1 is good, it's like controlling an MMO party. The combat is exactly the auto-attack hotbar stuff you're looking for. No seamless open world but there are a lot of big zones you have to explore and major cities too.