Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Killer robot posted:

This doesn't actually support what you're saying, unless you want to clarify.

Yes it does support what I'm saying. Try reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That was sarcasm, millions are suffering from obesity thanks to the shift to highly processed foods.

What does that have to do with organic versus industrial farming methods or, more specifically, GMOs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You can't grow rice in places like Sudan.

And? It's not like rice is the only crop in the world.

Also, I'm not blinded- I grow my own food without needing pesticides and my garden is diverse and healthy. I know that it's not a large scale operation, but it still feeds my family and I.

The only people who benefit from modern intensive agriculture are the shareholders of large ag corporations.

Congratulations on what amounts to less than subsistence agriculture. It does not scale.

Actually, the entire planet benefits from being able to eat. :)

Nothing he said is wrong. Anything actually useful organic allows is also allowed in real agriculture, meanwhile useful things in real agriculture are blocked or allowed entirely arbitrarily in organic agriculture.

That was sarcasm, millions are suffering from obesity thanks to the shift to highly processed foods.

That is not a thing that has happened, try again. People have been eating highly processed foods for thousands of years.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Adventure Pigeon posted:

What does that have to do with organic versus industrial farming methods or, more specifically, GMOs?

Well, GMOs do make fresh produce more accessible to everyone.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

That is not a thing that has happened, try again. People have been eating highly processed foods for thousands of years.

I didn't know ancient Mesopotamians were eating cheetos and drinking coca-cola.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

What the gently caress?

Do you mind elaborating on this? Would you, hypothetically, prefer mass starvation over Monsanto making money by averting it?

None of your subsequent posts in this thread have made me feel bad about my patronizing tone, by the way. You are throwing loads of sources at us but none of them are actually evidence of anything relevant to this thread - stop being so uncritical of your sources and realize that neither agribusiness nor organic farming present very much unbiased information about themselves as that would get in the way of making money. If a source doesn't cite its sources, or only cites industrial sources, it's probably not very reliable.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Beer is as calorie dense as many colas. But more importantly, why would banning industrial farming and GMOs help the obesity epidemic beyond reducing food availability? What would people in countries where food supplies are already limited do?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I see, you're just using processed food as a scare word rather than anything even close to real.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Beer is as calorie dense as many colas. But more importantly, why would banning industrial farming and GMOs help the obesity epidemic beyond reducing food availability? What would people in countries where food supplies are already limited do?

When everyone's starving from lack of food, only the rich can afford to be obese again.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Have intensive agricultural methods solved hunger in the world? No. Millions still suffer from hunger worldwide and obesity is on the rise in both developed and developing countries.

Do intensive agricultural methods harm the environment? Yes. Not only in it's contributions to CC, but also in massive amounts of chemical fertilizers harming our planet's water supply, and intensive farming harms our soil. Not to mention the amount of fossil fuels burned to grow, fertilize, harvest, package and ship a piece of iceberg lettuce is ridiculous.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Have intensive agricultural methods solved hunger in the world? No. Millions still suffer from hunger worldwide and obesity is on the rise in both developed and developing countries.

Do intensive agricultural methods harm the environment? Yes. Not only in it's contributions to CC, but also in massive amounts of chemical fertilizers harming our planet's water supply, and intensive farming harms our soil. Not to mention the amount of fossil fuels burned to grow, fertilize, harvest, package and ship a piece of iceberg lettuce is ridiculous.

So basically, intensive farming hasn't solved world food problems, so we should move to organic, which is estimated to produce about 25-30% less food?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7397/full/nature11069.html

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So basically, intensive farming hasn't solved world food problems, so we should move to organic, which is estimated to produce about 25-30% less food?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7397/full/nature11069.html

quote:

But these yield differences are highly contextual, depending on system and site characteristics, and range from 5% lower organic yields (rain-fed legumes and perennials on weak-acidic to weak-alkaline soils), 13% lower yields (when best organic practices are used), to 34% lower yields (when the conventional and organic systems are most comparable). Under certain conditions—that is, with good management practices, particular crop types and growing conditions—organic systems can thus nearly match conventional yields

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

So you're actually advocating deliberately starving millions of people to death rather than deal with an inefficient food distribution system. Wouldn't it be more humane and quicker to gas them rather than starving them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Have intensive agricultural methods solved hunger in the world?

Yes they have, capitalist hoarding keeps the food from going where it's needed though.

Do intensive agricultural methods harm the environment?

Not any more than organic claptrap.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

So you're actually advocating deliberately starving millions of people to death rather than deal with an inefficient food distribution system. Wouldn't it be more humane and quicker to gas them rather than starving them?

People have spent literally months trying to get this poster to understand that "starvation" and "obesity" are not the same problem and are in fact opposites. You can't get through because anti-GMO cranks are super dumb and because there is a philosophical disconnect where he just sees the monolithic face of the Bad Food Thing and doesn't understand words or issues beyond that. Part of it is typical stupid person inability to get outside one's own mind and circumstances -- he lives in urban California so he thinks "food deserts" and obesity are the problem. You can keep telling him that in Ethiopia and Bangladesh starvation is a problem, but it's like playing handball against curtains. You'll just get nothing back. He can no more understand the concept of "a person in East Africa with radically different circumstances than me" than the concept of a toy continuing to exist after it rolls behind the couch.

We need to go organic because it's too easy to raise too much food. We need to go organic because it's too hard for some people to get food. There's too much food choice. There's not enough food choice. Everyone is fat. Everyone is starving. To a rational person it makes no sense that someone could hold all of these beliefs at once; to a conspiracy theorist, the fact that you keep challenging him on it is just more evidence that sinister agents are trying to suppress his truth.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

Sorry but where did you guys get this idea that noble Monsanto is the only thing keeping millions from starving to death?

meat sweats posted:

People have spent literally months trying to get this poster to understand that "starvation" and "obesity" are not the same problem and are in fact opposites. You can't get through because anti-GMO cranks are super dumb and because there is a philosophical disconnect where he just sees the monolithic face of the Bad Food Thing and doesn't understand words or issues beyond that. Part of it is typical stupid person inability to get outside one's own mind and circumstances -- he lives in urban California so he thinks "food deserts" and obesity are the problem. You can keep telling him that in Ethiopia and Bangladesh starvation is a problem, but it's like playing handball against curtains. You'll just get nothing back. He can no more understand the concept of "a person in East Africa with radically different circumstances than me" than the concept of a toy continuing to exist after it rolls behind the couch.

We need to go organic because it's too easy to raise too much food. We need to go organic because it's too hard for some people to get food. There's too much food choice. There's not enough food choice. Everyone is fat. Everyone is starving. To a rational person it makes no sense that someone could hold all of these beliefs at once; to a conspiracy theorist, the fact that you keep challenging him on it is just more evidence that sinister agents are trying to suppress his truth.

Hunger and obesity are like two sides of a coin. Listen, I'm not crazy or a conspiracy theorist. My main concerns lie with the environment and the human race. Our food system is loving both up. I know it's easy to think that I'm crazy for wanting this to change, but it's important that we realize how much harm we are causing to our planet and how little we are actually getting in return. Stop thinking that crop yields are the only or main factor that matter when it comes to how we grow our food. I suggest you read the report commissioned by UN rapporteur Olivier de Schutter, it outlines many of these problems and solutions to these problems.

quote:

Measured against the requirement that they should contribute to the realization of the right to food, the
food systems we have inherited from the twentieth century have failed. Of course,
significant progress has been achieved in boosting agricultural production over the past
fifty years. But this has hardly reduced the number of hungry people, and the nutritional
outcomes remain poor. Using a new method for calculating undernourishment that began
with the 2012 edition of the State of Food Insecurity in the World report, United Nations
agencies estimate hunger in its most extreme form to have decreased globally from over 1
billion in 1990–1992, representing 18.9 per cent of the world’s population, to 842 million
in 2011–2013, or 12 per cent of the population.3
However, these figures do not capture
short-term undernourishment, because of their focus on year-long averages; they neglect
inequalities in intra-household distribution of food; and the calculations are based on a low
threshold of daily energy requirements that assume a sedentary lifestyle, whereas many of
the poor perform physically demanding activities.4

5. Calorie intake alone, moreover, says little about nutritional status. Lack of care or
inadequate feeding practices for infants, as well as poor health care or water and sanitation,
also play a major role. As detailed by the Special Rapporteur (see A/HRC/19/59), even
when food intake is sufficient, inadequate diets can result in micronutrient deficiencies such
as a lack of iodine, of vitamin A or of iron, to mention only the deficiencies that are the
most common in large parts of the developing world. Globally, over 165 million children
are stunted – so malnourished that they do not reach their full physical and cognitive
potential – and 2 billion people globally lack vitamins and minerals essential for good
health. Too little has been done to ensure adequate nutrition, despite the proven long-term
impacts of adequate nutrition during pregnancy and before a child’s second birthday, both
in low-income countries where undernutrition is the major concern5
and in middle- and
high-income countries.6

Moreover, inadequate diets are a major contributing factor to the
increase of non-communicable diseases occurring now in all regions of the world.
Worldwide, the prevalence of obesity doubled between 1980 and 2008. By 2008, 1.4 billion
adults were overweight, including 400 million who were obese and therefore at heightened
risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease or gastrointestinal cancers.7

6. The exclusive focus on increasing agricultural production has also had severe
environmental impacts. The twentieth-century “Green Revolution” technological package
combined the use of high-yielding plant varieties with increased irrigation, the
mechanization of agricultural production and the use of nitrogen-based fertilizers and pesticides. Thanks to State support in the form of subsidies and marketing, this was
effective in increasing the production volumes of major cereals (particularly maize, wheat
and rice) and of soybean. The Green Revolution was an attempt to meet the challenge as it
was framed at the time: to ensure that increases in agricultural productivity would match
population growth and the dietary transition facilitated by rising incomes. It led, however,
to an extension of monocultures and thus to a significant loss of agrobiodiversity and to
accelerated soil erosion. The overuse of chemical fertilizers polluted fresh water, increasing
its phosphorus content and leading to a flow of phosphorus to the oceans that is estimated
to have risen to approximately 10 million tons annually. Phosphate and nitrogen water
pollution is the main cause of eutrophication, the human-induced augmentation of natural
fertilization processes which spurs algae growth that absorbs the dissolved oxygen required
to sustain fish stocks.8

7. The most potentially devastating impacts of industrial modes of agricultural
production stem from their contribution to increased greenhouse gas emissions. Together,
field-level practices represent approximately 15 per cent of total human-made greenhouse
gas emissions, in the form of nitrous oxide (N2O) from the use of organic and inorganic
nitrogen fertilizers, methane (CH4) from flooded rice fields and livestock, and carbon
dioxide (CO2) from the loss of soil organic carbon in croplands and, due to intensified
grazing, on pastures.
In addition, the production of fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides, the
tillage, irrigation and fertilization, and the transport, packaging and conservation of food
require considerable amounts of energy, resulting in an additional 15 to 17 per cent of total
man-made greenhouse gas emissions attributable to food systems.9
The resulting climate
changes could seriously constrain the potential productivity of current agricultural methods.
For some countries, the changing climate conditions of the past thirty years already appear
to have offset a significant portion of the increases in average yields that arose from
technology, carbon dioxide fertilization and other factors.10
Under a business-as-usual
scenario, we can anticipate an average of 2 per cent productivity decline over each of the
coming decades, with yield changes in developing countries ranging from -27 per cent to
+9 per cent for the key staple crops.11

white sauce fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2014

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

You basically bolded the part that said "if everything is perfect, organics only show a small loss in productivity" and ignored the part where it said "things are rarely perfect so on average the loss is about 25-30%".

Also, by "particular crop types", they mean fruits. Grains and vegetables both show considerable losses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Adventure Pigeon posted:

You basically bolded the part that said "if everything is perfect, organics only show a small loss in productivity" and ignored the part where it said "things are rarely perfect so on average the loss is about 25-30%".

Also, by "particular crop types", they mean fruits. Grains and vegetables both show considerable losses.

I would also point out that in general, fruits have a lesser return for land and resources than grain or vegetables.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Hunger and obesity are like two sides of a coin.

In that they are opposites in one linguistic sense, yes. Otherwise, they are not alike at all.

quote:

Listen, I'm not crazy

I'll be the judge of your crazy/dumb ratio.

quote:

or a conspiracy theorist.

MONSANTO BLACK VANS COMING TO POISON OUR FOOD WITH CHEMTRAILS

quote:

blah blah blah

So, you quote a report saying overuse of industrial agricultural inputs can be bad, to support your tinfoil opposition to GMOs, which largely include crops that need fewer industrial agricultural inputs to thrive.

The typical not-all-there strategy of dumping huge blocks of text that you found in a Google search for "GMO bad" and challenging everyone else to figure out how they support your position may work when you're commenting on Jenny McCarthy articles on the HuffPo, but here at least some people are intelligent.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

In that they are opposites in one linguistic sense, yes. Otherwise, they are not alike at all.

I'll be the judge of your crazy/dumb ratio.

MONSANTO BLACK VANS COMING TO POISON OUR FOOD WITH CHEMTRAILS

So, you quote a report saying overuse of industrial agricultural inputs can be bad, to support your tinfoil opposition to GMOs, which largely include crops that need fewer industrial agricultural inputs to thrive.

The typical not-all-there strategy of dumping huge blocks of text that you found in a Google search for "GMO bad" and challenging everyone else to figure out how they support your position may work when you're commenting on Jenny McCarthy articles on the HuffPo, but here at least some people are intelligent.

I dont have an issue with GMO's. :confused:

white sauce fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 5, 2014

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

The funny thing in all this is that I actually dislike modern agriculture as well. The heavy use of hydrocarbons, pesticides, mined phosphates, and everything else is bad. Beyond harm to the environment, these resources aren't unlimited. Where I disagree with tight booty shorts is that the solution is to move back to pure organic farming, since that's a fast track to mass starvation. The only long term solution is to develop current cultivars through advanced breeding and GM technologies to where they're require less support.

Ultimately, the only way the organic farming will ever be viable is through the use of GMOs, even if that goes against the current definition. Someday, hopefully, people can accept genetic modification is something we've been doing since civilization began, and that genetic modification doesn't destroy the purity of an organism, which is ultimately just a human idea that doesn't exist in nature.

Edit:

quote:

I don't have an issue with GMOs

Ok, maybe there is a sane argument underneath everything after all.

Would you agree with the statement that genetic modification of crops is the best and most realistic approach to divesting ourselves from the use of petroleum and other chemicals while avoiding a collapse in food production?

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The thing is that organic farming also isn't ever something historical, it all comes out of the beliefs of a bunch of British weirdos in the interwar era who decided that randomly some then current farming practices were ok, but others had to be replaced with things that farmers had stopped doing decades prior. It was closely related to the "Biodynamic Agriculture" movement, which involved doing literal folk magic rituals like burying crystals stuffed in cow skulls in your fields to do things instead of pesticides.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I didn't know that we were growing fields of cheetos and coca-cola. You do understand that the "processing" you're upset about has gently caress all to do with GMOs, right?

Then why the gently caress do you keep posting all of this poo poo in a thread specifically about GMOs? Start your own loving thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not any more than organic claptrap.

This.

Imagine rich industrial country upper middle class guilt trips (organic farming) informing policy in places where primary ecosystems still exist.
Please save biodiversity by putting hedgerows between your fields on recently-cleared rainforest :laffo:

e: On that note, have a fun, free (I think) paper. Eating chicken instead of red meat for one additional day per week saves more CO2 emissions than eating 100% ~locally produced food~ ever could.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 5, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Adventure Pigeon posted:

pure organic farming

what is pure organic farming and when have I advocated shifting completely to it? Doing that would be catastrophic.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

what is pure organic farming and when have I advocated shifting completely to it? Doing that would be catastrophic.

Alright, so what are you advocating exactly?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Growing blackberries in Ecuador, so that people will eat fewer grains, as I recall.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Less intensive farming. Less outside inputs in farms worldwide. More small scale environmentally friendly farming. More environmental regulations. Educating the public about food choices and health. Limiting or removing corporation's ability to advertise unhealthy foods. Empowering poor communities by teaching them ecological agriculture methods that are self sufficient and can allow people that are socio-economically disadvantaged to grow and sell their own produce and food.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Less intensive farming. Less outside inputs in farms worldwide. More small scale environmentally friendly farming. More environmental regulations. Educating the public about food choices and health. Limiting or removing corporation's ability to advertise unhealthy foods. Empowering poor communities by teaching them ecological agriculture methods that are self sufficient and can allow people that are socio-economically disadvantaged to grow and sell their own produce and food.

So basically you want things that make no sense, great. My favorite is you deciding that there is objectively unhealthy food categories that could be created.

I also like your pronouncement that subsistence agriculture areas need to be taught how to do subsistence agriculture.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I agree that the word salad diet will prevent starving people from dying of obesity.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I don't have a problem with most of these, though I do think some are unrealistic.

Intensive farming will only begin to disappear when the resources that make it possible become too expensive. For the time being, GMOs, such as Round-Up resistance are already helping reduce the impact of farming (read up on how much the Gulf of Mexico's anaerobic zone has shrunk due to roundup), but soon it will be necessary for them to make up massive amounts of lost productivity.

What do you mean by less outside inputs? Globalization of farming is ultimately a direction I hope society takes. Not necessarily in terms of agribusiness, but academic and non-profit initiatives to make seed and breeding stock available to small farmers. As climates change, we find that conditions in one regions may begin to mirror those in another, so plants which have already adapted to the later may be beneficial in the former.

I don't have a problem with education or environmental regulation.

I'd even agree that there are objectively unhealthy food categories - it's hard to argue for soda.

Poor communities in first world countries may benefit from education, but in third world countries what they need is crops better adapted to their needs. Rice is a perfect example of this problem. Right now, creating hybrid rice is extremely difficult due to the fact that their pollen is sticky and their flowers contain both male and female parts. Rice has evolved to self-fertilize, yet hybrid plants produce more food on equivalent resources. The only way to create hybrids is basically to hover a helicopter over a field and force pollen to spread. Obviously, in many parts of Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America this is not possible. Creating lines of rice with entirely female flowers through GMO technology or breeding would be of enormous benefit to farmers without access to helicopters. Another obvious direction for GMOs is climate change response, since the poorest areas of the world are likely to be impacted the worst. A path most people, especially in the west, never think of is moving GMO technology into crops like cassava and sorghum - plants that aren't eaten much in Europe or America, but are extremely vital to food security elsewhere. This means assembling genomes, mapping genes, and most importantly developing financially secure research institutions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I'd even agree that there are objectively unhealthy food categories - it's hard to argue for soda.

Soda is no more unhealthy than tons of juices and other "natural" foods out there. But whenever actual proposals come around to restrict unhealthy foods, what you end up is people deciding that having a little extra fiber or vitamins (which could be easily added to sodas) magically makes those other things "healthy".

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It's not just soda vs. juice, it's soda vs. lots of other high calorie beverages. It's notable how the attempted NYC soda law deliberately carved out exemptions for a lot of enormous sugary coffee drinks and other stuff popular with richer, trendier people, even where they were more calorie dense thanks mostly to fats and refined sugars.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Here's your problem, this thread is a straight up honey pot for people who do have issues with GMOs. When you come in here and advocate for change (separately I still have no idea what you are advocating for, even after you attempted to specify), people rightly assume you have an issue with GMOs. I don't think you need to make a separate thread, but you do need to clear on why your advocacy is relevant here.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Soda is no more unhealthy than tons of juices and other "natural" foods out there. But whenever actual proposals come around to restrict unhealthy foods, what you end up is people deciding that having a little extra fiber or vitamins (which could be easily added to sodas) magically makes those other things "healthy".

Yeah, unfortunately that's a good point.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I am of the exact opposite opinion. Humanity currently consumes ~4.3 billion tons of food. This is not going to be decreasing any time soon. I firmly and absolutely believe that we are better off if we farm as little land as possible as intensive as possible rather than farming 2-3 times as much land less intensively. Note that local self-sufficiency is fragile and not something to strive for. All it takes is a drought, or flood, or a early fall frost or a late spring frost or any of the numerous other things that can happen on a farm and your crop is lost. All of your neighbor's crops are lost too. You former self-sufficient farmer is no longer self-sufficient and is hosed. You do not want farmers to save seed. Saving seed is a harmful practice that degrades hybridization and gives a less predictable and less uniform crop. If you started with 2700 GDD corn then you know how long (±5 days) it will take to get to black layer. If you save seed you no longer have 2700 GDD corn, you have a range of corn from 2500-2900 GDD. Assuming May 1st planting you will hit 2500 GDD Aug 30th (±5 days) and 2900 GDD Sept 24th (±5 days). So now your maturity range is stretched well over a month and now your growing season is pushing dangerously close to first frost. Remember, we hybridized for very specific reason. High predictable yields. These crops are uniform clones of each other and we know exactly how long it takes for every leaf to grow on that plant. It takes 2 leaves will become visible after 200 GDD, 8 leaves after 610 GDD, tassel at 1135 GDD, Black layer at 2700 GDD. Predictability is the farmers best friend. Don't destroy this at them at your desire for a fragile system.

Sadly though I find your continual push of a fragile locally self-sufficient system to be disturbing and I wonder how many farmers you will push into suicide if you are ever able to implement their nightmare.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Educating the public about food choices and health. Limiting or removing corporation's ability to advertise unhealthy foods.
Good.

quote:

Empowering poor communities by teaching them ecological agriculture methods that are self sufficient and can allow people that are socio-economically disadvantaged to grow and sell their own produce and food.
Also good.

quote:

Less intensive farming. Less outside inputs in farms worldwide. More small scale environmentally friendly farming. More environmental regulations.
Bad.

Making farms be small scale and environmentally friendly (for the plot of land they're physically occupying) means they usually need to be larger to produce the same amount of food. That is a terrible, terrible idea and should not be encouraged for any large scale operation.

As long as a long term viable source of outside inputs is available, use it as much as possible to reduce land use and keep farms out of the natural environment.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 5, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Youre not supposed to say sensible things in this thread. This thread is for sucking monsanto dick.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/13/un-one-third-of-food-produced-for-human-consumption-is-uneaten/

quote:

One Third of Food Produced for Human Consumption Is Uneaten

A new report suggests that some 1.3 billion metric tons of food in the world is lost (on the production side of the food supply chain) or wasted (on the consumption side) each year. That’s about one-third of total edibles produced for humans.

http://qz.com/155596/the-global-food-supply-has-a-demand-problem/

quote:

Yes, we probably will need to grow more crops, but not as much as this narrative suggests. That’s because people often confusegrowing more crops with making more food available to the world. They’re not the same thing. What we really need to do isdeliver more food and good nutrition to the world. And there is another way to deliver more food to the world besides simply growing more crops: Better use of the crops we already grow, making sure they create as much nutritious food as possible.

Food waste alone takes roughly 30-40% of the world’s calories, but it rarely receives the attention is deserves. (While we can’t fully eliminate food waste, surely we can cut it substantially in the coming decades.) Meanwhile, the use of crops for animal feed (instead of for direct human consumption) can be extremely inefficient in feeding people. Furthermore, some key crops are increasingly being used for biofuels, at the expense of producing food. Altogether, this leaves tremendous opportunities to feed more people with the same level of crop production by shifting more of our animal agriculture to pastures and grass-fed operations, and moving biofuel production away from food crops. Basically, how we use crops matters as much as how many crops we grow.

My colleague Emily Cassidy recently made this point very clearly. She noted that the typical Midwestern farm couldtheoretically provide enough calories to feed about 15 people daily from each hectare of farmland. But there’s a catch: People would need to eat the corn and soybeans these farms grow directly, as part of a plant-based diet, with little food waste. What Cassidy found was that the actual Midwestern farm today provides only enough calories to feed roughly five people per day per hectare of farmland, mainly because the vast majority of the corn and soybeans are being used to make ethanol or to feed animals. Amazingly, feeding five people per day per hectare is comparable to the production of an average farm in Bangladesh today.

In other words, we grow a lot of crops, but it’s not translating to as much food.

quote:

Work in our lab, led by Nathan Mueller, has shown how focusing on improved soil nutrition and water availability is key to boosting crop yields around the world. Mueller’s research shows that in developing countries many places exhibit substantial “yield gaps”—the difference between the crop yields we see today, and the crop yields that are possible with improved farming practices—which can be largely closed by improving agronomic practices, such as adding organic matter, small doses of fertilizer (chemical or organic), and extra water (especially with efficient systems like drip irrigation). At this point, it’s hard for me to imagine how GMOs would dramatically help farmers in poor countries right now, where yield gaps are large, especially when yields are currently limited by the availability of soil nutrients and water.

The prevailing narrative about the global food supply needs to be replaced by a more accurate narrative that can better guide future investments and decisions.

Of course, GMOs and other advanced technology might be able to help in the quest for a food-secure world, especially if they are not primarily used in large monocultures of nonfood crops, but they are no silver bullet. Hopefully they can help. But in the near-term, I’m placing my bets on lower-technology approaches, targeted at small landholders, especially for improved soil and water management.

Aside from that, assuming that the droughts arent going to let up in the US (speaking generally about the coming years), people better start picking up on permaculture methods of water usage because "suck it out of the aquifer" is just about over.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Does anyone with knowledge of the field have any sense about neonicotinoid pesticides affecting the bee population?
I've been hearing a lot about it online but those making the most noise about it, whether for and against, aren't credible to me (mother jones on one side and AEI shills on the other).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

Does anyone with knowledge of the field have any sense about neonicotinoid pesticides affecting the bee population?
I've been hearing a lot about it online but those making the most noise about it, whether for and against, aren't credible to me (mother jones on one side and AEI shills on the other).

The current status of study is that we simply aren't sure, there's reports that lean both ways on the issue that are equally robust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Killer robot posted:

Now, it isn't going to say anything about the food being healthy, the practices being environmentally sound, or any harm being prevented to poor farmers, but only because organic has nothing to do with those.

so wait, these guidleines from the USDA's certification regulations, specifically sections 205.202-07 have nothing to do with "being environmentally sound"? seems like that's exactly what they're concerned with.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=3f34f4c22f9aa8e6d9864cc2683cea02&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title07/7cfr205_main_02.tpl

Here's Ontario's certification, which apply to much of what I buy personally. Refer specifically to section five regarding environmental practices:
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/programme-program/normes-standards/internet/bio-org/principes-principles-eng.html#a6

peter banana fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread