Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saiyajin-Nester
Oct 18, 2005
I am assuming your succession type is Gavelkind which means everything gets divided amongst your sons. To keep from losing all of your good lands give your lesser sons temples so they become bishops and unable to inherit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Allyn posted:

1) Switch to elective
2) Win the election

For real though, just switch away from gavelkind asap.

Oh, bleh. I thought it would be easier than that. I remember reading some big guide on it and all of it has escaped me right now. Thanks.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You can do certain things to escape the pitfalls of gavelkind but I've never bothered learning what they are because even if you do, playing with gavelkind is so anti-fun that it's just not worth the effort when it's still always going to be superior to switch away

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

As Reformed Norse, if I switch from gavelkind to elective monarchy, will the Fylkir title go to the elected heir along with everything else?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shnooks posted:

Oh, bleh. I thought it would be easier than that. I remember reading some big guide on it and all of it has escaped me right now. Thanks.

Another trick to avoiding divisions in gavelkind is to have only one potential heir. If you have more than one potential heir at the moment, it's a fairly easy matter to solve that issue.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gavelkind is very manageable if you are expanding a lot, and can give a nice duchy to each of your spare sons.

I kind of wish it gave more gameplay advantages, since historically it was used a lot but in game you mostly just want to switch out of it ASAP.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ofaloaf posted:

Another trick to avoiding divisions in gavelkind is to have only one potential heir. If you have more than one potential heir at the moment, it's a fairly easy matter to solve that issue.

Yeah, but isn't switching off gavelkind easier and better for your dynasty long term than murdering your children?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

marktheando posted:

Gavelkind is very manageable if you are expanding a lot, and can give a nice duchy to each of your spare sons.

That didn't seem to work when I tried it. I gave my sons duchies, and one of them inherited my capital anyway.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I wish I had some control over who inherits what under gavelkind.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

That didn't seem to work when I tried it. I gave my sons duchies, and one of them inherited my capital anyway.

Imagine you have three sons and gavelkind succession, and you're the king of england. Give your second son one county and one duchy, give your third son one county and one duchy, and give your first son nothing. As long as you only have one kingdom, your first son should inherit all the rest of your titles.

As a Catholic you have more options, because you can nominate your 2nd and 3rd sons to be bishops and get them out of the line of succession. Or just kill them. Killing them is easiest, but can expensive.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What advantage is there with hoarding all my King-level titles vs handing them out to relatives/really trusted dudes? There doesn't appear to be a penalty for having more than two like their is for duchies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

As Reformed Norse, if I switch from gavelkind to elective monarchy, will the Fylkir title go to the elected heir along with everything else?

Yes, the Fylkirate will go to whoever wins the election.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, but isn't switching off gavelkind easier and better for your dynasty long term than murdering your children?

Switching out of gavelkind isn't an option for unreformed pagans, so it's important to learn how to manage it in the meantime. And since some pagans have a harder time reforming their faith than other, you can be stuck with gavelkind for a very long time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pierson posted:

What advantage is there with hoarding all my King-level titles vs handing them out to relatives/really trusted dudes? There doesn't appear to be a penalty for having more than two like their is for duchies.

All the dukes in your non-primary kingdom will have a -20 "desires <de jure> kingdom" penalty, and more if they're ambitious.

The advantage to keeping them all is you get more prestige.

Vassal kings makes it a lot easier to raise vassal levies though, since they just form up in one county.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

This question comes up a lot. If you have an emperor title (I assume you do) then I personally prefer to hand out all of my king titles to vassals and/or family members depending what religion I am. If I am muslim I never hand them out to family, because decadence can be a huge pain to manage when your kinsmen are spread out in different courts. Handing them out makes it less messy to raise levies, and there are less direct vassals for you to manage. Borders look cleaner, etc etc. Sometimes you can strategically hand them out as soon as your new heir takes the throne, so you have a bunch of vassals who love you, to get past the initial more difficult stage of inheritance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pierson posted:

If your empire is sprawling and you have some dicks at the edges who keep joining Independance plots because of the distance penalty, then giving that kingdom to someone else can make your life easier.

For example, if you are the Empire of Scandinavia, chances are that loving Iceland is always plotting for independence and generally being a pain in the rear end. Give Norway to someone else, and that problem goes away. The capital of Norway is much closer to your capital than loving Iceland, so that king won't be so eager to declare independance. loving Iceland may still plot against the King of Norway, but that isn't your problem anymore.

If you aren't going to give away the king level titles, I like to destroy them. They don't seem to have much benefit, and ensuring that they are all going to the same heir is just a nuisance.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Just make sure you don't king someone whose primary title is in loving Iceland, unless you want all your troops to spawn over there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I do a kind of cheaty thing where every time I win a new border territory, I pass off the titles to one of my vassal kings so I can raise all their troops on the borders when I need to, so they don't spend all the time getting from the inside of my empire to the frontiers.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Just make sure you don't king someone whose primary title is in loving Iceland, unless you want all your troops to spawn over there.

Nah, you just need to remember to manually raise them from wherever you want them, and if you're at the point where you're handing out king-level titles you should be doing anyway since you probably wont need all your levies for every war, and if you do you'll need them in one spot asap.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Nah, you just need to remember to manually raise them from wherever you want them, and if you're at the point where you're handing out king-level titles you should be doing anyway since you probably wont need all your levies for every war, and if you do you'll need them in one spot asap.

I didn't even know you could do that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

I didn't even know you could do that.

Yeah you can raise all of a vassal's levies from any of their provinces, or their vassal's provinces.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

If you are holding onto a lot more counties than your extra sons have it will start handing some of them out too. You just need to keep an eye on the "titles lost on succession" alert up top. When you feel like you might bite the bucket soon you can then a) give more other land to the son(s) that are going to get the counties you want to keep or b) (probably better) give some counties away to randoms until the alert goes away. You don't always NEED to be at your demesne limit.

Managing gavelkind isn't too bad once you are used to it. You just either need to be expanding fast enough to get all your sons equalish chunks of land or start "taking them out" of the line of inheritance.

I've spent most of my time in this game playing unreformed pagans though so

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

Better yet, just don't ever go to Iceland and its two lovely counties.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tsyni posted:

This question comes up a lot. If you have an emperor title (I assume you do) then I personally prefer to hand out all of my king titles to vassals and/or family members depending what religion I am. If I am muslim I never hand them out to family, because decadence can be a huge pain to manage when your kinsmen are spread out in different courts. Handing them out makes it less messy to raise levies, and there are less direct vassals for you to manage. Borders look cleaner, etc etc. Sometimes you can strategically hand them out as soon as your new heir takes the throne, so you have a bunch of vassals who love you, to get past the initial more difficult stage of inheritance.

In the more general sense, is it better to give away lower or higher titles when you have to give stuff away to get under the demesne limit?

For instance, the William the Conquerer start drops you in with like 15 titles even before you form the duchies, is it better to give away the counties or form and give away the duchies? Why? And in the case of William in particular, is there any good way to decide who to give them to or do you just hand them out to random good courtiers? All his children are, well, children at the time, should you hand them all counties anyway?

I feel like I am grasping the gameplay here after playing Tutorial Island (which as someone mentioned is slow as balls but easy to understand and manage) but once I get into playing someone with multiple levels of vassals and a real kingdom to manage I start to lose the big picture. I started the GoT mod as Ned Stark just after Robert's Rebellion and stared at a giant map for like 30 seconds before quietly closing the game and going back to Ireland. :(

I guess what I am asking for is a "Real Feudalism Primer", since the tutorials and Ireland do a good job of introducing the concepts but in practice its a lot more complicated than it ever gets even if you become King of Ireland.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

In the more general sense, is it better to give away lower or higher titles when you have to give stuff away to get under the demesne limit?

For instance, the William the Conquerer start drops you in with like 15 titles even before you form the duchies, is it better to give away the counties or form and give away the duchies? Why? And in the case of William in particular, is there any good way to decide who to give them to or do you just hand them out to random good courtiers? All his children are, well, children at the time, should you hand them all counties anyway?

I feel like I am grasping the gameplay here after playing Tutorial Island (which as someone mentioned is slow as balls but easy to understand and manage) but once I get into playing someone with multiple levels of vassals and a real kingdom to manage I start to lose the big picture.

I guess what I am asking for is a "Real Feudalism Primer", since the tutorials and Ireland do a good job of introducing the concepts but in practice its a lot more complicated than it ever gets even if you become King of Ireland.

Hre or French duke.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

marktheando posted:

Well I started a new vanilla game and my daughters are still constantly getting randomly assigned new tutors, so everyone hates me for losing a ward. Anyone else getting this when they play as a Muslim?

So I guess it is a vanilla bug and not anything to do with HIP.

I do not have this problem in my vanilla game, I used to have it but the latest patch fixed it for me. Although other people seem to have this problem with 2.1.6 too as can be seen here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?786649-2.1.5-Relationship-loss-due-to-quot-lost-ward-quot-with-Muslims

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

I feel like I am grasping the gameplay here after playing Tutorial Island (which as someone mentioned is slow as balls but easy to understand and manage) but once I get into playing someone with multiple levels of vassals and a real kingdom to manage I start to lose the big picture. I started the GoT mod as Ned Stark just after Robert's Rebellion and stared at a giant map for like 30 seconds before quietly closing the game and going back to Ireland. :(

I find it's best to choose the "invite a holy man to court" for 5 piety in the intrigue menu, and hand out counties one a time to them. They have no ties to other characters and you're not going to lose territory from them inheriting a higher title somewhere else in the world, that you can run in to with landed characters that are already part of a family. Then hand out the duchy to the most passive county holder in the de jure land of the duchy. Avoid traits like ambitious and try and go for content rulers. This just makes it easier to handle their opinion of you later.

Later in the game I hand out entire duchies to single characters, because I am strong enough then that I don't care if one guy has 4 counties and a duchy, and I don't want to take the time to dick around.

Handing out titles to family members can be a double edged sword, because if they have claim on your primary title, they will not like you very much and be harder to manage, but I usually hand them out to family members because you have a family prestige pool that raises the more family members have titles, and a fraction is in turn given to newly born members of the family. I also just like to see the map full of rulers of my dynasty. If you're not sure and want to play it safe, then just go the "invite holy man" route. If you're low on piety then try and give to courtiers with no claims and no inheritances.

These are just rules of thumb, sometimes you're going to want to go against these tips, to press claims or do other things, but starting out this is probably the most straightforward way to go.

Starting as England or something isn't horrible. Conquer the rest of the british isles then try and get in on the crusade for jerusalem when it fires, then defend and expand into the middle east. Alternatively, do an old gods viking start and conquer, conquer, conquer. It's a lot of fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jedit posted:

If you go elective loving Iceland gets to vote.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Here's another succession question: If I am the Duke of Flanders, and I switch to elective, why do random-rear end people like the Duke of Burgundy and the Kaiser of the HRE get a vote? I thought only the ruler in question and his vassals get to vote. My liege is at war with the HRE, so I don't understand why I would consider his opinion in my heir election.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JoshTheStampede posted:

Here's another succession question: If I am the Duke of Flanders, and I switch to elective, why do random-rear end people like the Duke of Burgundy and the Kaiser of the HRE get a vote? I thought only the ruler in question and his vassals get to vote. My liege is at war with the HRE, so I don't understand why I would consider his opinion in my heir election.

All de jure rulers in Flanders get a vote. Do you control 100% of the territory of the Duchy of Flanders? The Kaiser should only be able to vote if he personally holds one county in the de jure duchy, and the same should be true for the Duke of Burgundy. And any wars don't matter for who votes in elective successions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A really gamey thing to do is to give titles to celibate characters or marry a contented courtier to a celibate wife and then give him a title. Then when they almost inevitably die childless you get the titles back! :eng101:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

I do not have this problem in my vanilla game, I used to have it but the latest patch fixed it for me. Although other people seem to have this problem with 2.1.6 too as can be seen here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?786649-2.1.5-Relationship-loss-due-to-quot-lost-ward-quot-with-Muslims

Thanks. At least there seems to be a workaround, sending your daughters abroad to be educated.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ugh, think I'm going to drop this game. I am completely surrounded by assholes with bigger armies.

Also the Fatimids ate the awesome Jewish Axum.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If you have two empires, make sure both of them are set to primogeniture before you lower Crown Authority from High to Medium. :downs:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It had been a while since I played CK2 last. The new launcher was a bit of a surprise.

Also, I really wanted to play a zoroastrian game but the actual zoroastrian 867 start just kept kicking my rear end so I took the easy way out and started as the Samanids and converted to Zoroastrian. The fact that literally none of your provinces are Sunni just makes it easier.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torrannor posted:

All de jure rulers in Flanders get a vote. Do you control 100% of the territory of the Duchy of Flanders? The Kaiser should only be able to vote if he personally holds one county in the de jure duchy, and the same should be true for the Duke of Burgundy. And any wars don't matter for who votes in elective successions.

Aha, this was the issue. I had expanded past the de jure Flanders but in the process lost one of the counties to the HRE (who dropped a 7K stack on me I could do nothing about and King Dickhead of France wouldn't help me fight HIS war). I didn't know it was based on the de jure borders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

McGavin posted:

A really gamey thing to do is to give titles to celibate characters or marry a contented courtier to a celibate wife and then give him a title. Then when they almost inevitably die childless you get the titles back! :eng101:

I don't think this works if the celibate character is a member of a great house, since they will still have an heir.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

What the heck is a great house, anyway? It's an option on the person finder but that's basically all I know about it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

McGavin posted:

I'm almost 100% certain that you cannot do that. The game will not allow you to grant titles to characters with traits that make them infertile, even if they already have children.

Jedit posted:

The main reason you might want Iceland, as far as I'm concerned, is if you're converting the save to EU4 and want a colonizing game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

What the heck is a great house, anyway? It's an option on the person finder but that's basically all I know about it.

I think these are families that have at least one landed family member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Crown laws, where do people like to keep them? I've been running with Medium Crown Authority as it seems you get most of the benefits from having that, and the vassal opinion penalty is manageable.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Anyone who's not Lowborn AFAIK.

• Locked thread