Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can vampires hide their bloodlines by acting a certain way or is it something that other vampires just innately recognize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pwnstar posted:

Can vampires hide their bloodlines by acting a certain way or is it something that other vampires just innately recognize?

Most can. Some clan weaknesses make it difficult, you're not likely to mistake a Nosferatu for anything else and most vampires just don't bother. But no, it's not something anyone else would automatically know on first meeting you. It's not something you innately know for that matter. That's what Catiff are, vampires that for one reason or another don't know their own clans.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
That's what Obfuscate is for, Stroth :v:

There's a character in the Clan Novels who was a Lasombra that passed himself off as a Ventrue for a long, long time as part of an infiltration mission in the Camarilla. Rose to a position of serious power before he got found out. Lucinde (Ventrue Justicar) was not pleased, to say the least.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
All PCs in any tabletop game are assumed to be orphans with no living relatives and no social bonds beyond the other PCs. Anything else gives the GM leverage. (And cool adventure hooks)

That makes it much easier to maintain the Masquerade. No pesky pre-embrace relations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vicissitude posted:

There's a character in the Clan Novels who was a Lasombra that passed himself off as a Ventrue for a long, long time as part of an infiltration mission in the Camarilla. Rose to a position of serious power before he got found out. Lucinde (Ventrue Justicar) was not pleased, to say the least.

Please tell me he got away with it :allears:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wasn't Lucinde, in turn, a Setite masquerading as a Ventrue?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

All PCs in any tabletop game are assumed to be orphans with no living relatives and no social bonds beyond the other PCs. Anything else gives the GM leverage. (And cool adventure hooks)

That makes it much easier to maintain the Masquerade. No pesky pre-embrace relations.

This is actually true. Having pre-embrace attachments is a (variety of) mechanical flaw(s), which gives you more character creation points to make your vampire more awesome. It comes with the expected headaches.

It's also possible for a vampire to 1. always be under the effects of Breath of Life without spending blood, regardless of humanity, and 2. show up as human to Auspex.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

By acting better than everyone and not using Obtenebration. I guess nobody ever had a mirror nearby when they met with him. Which is theoretically doable. Inner rooms of a building for no windows. Office space makes little sense for mirrors to be present. In his private haven, nobody is likely to have ever been invited. Even so, you can pass it off as a quirk of "I know I'm old. I don't need to see a young face staring back at me. It's depressing."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Vicissitude posted:

That's what Auspex is for, Vicissitude :v:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Still a contested roll if the Disciplines are tied, and Nos are really good at what they do :v:

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Pwnstar posted:

A Tremere, if they get their hands on some of your blood, can get an awful lot of information on you. With the right Thaumataturgical ritual, they can identify your generation, clan, and potentially all your sires back to the fourth generation if they get enough blood from you and they enough successes when performing the ritual. (Incidentally, they also have a ritual pretty much perfectly designed for getting their hands on your blood. If a Tremere offers you a sealed container, just say no™.)

Of course, the obverse of this is that most vampires cannot so readily and certainly identify others' Clans or have their own identified. Relationships, Discipline usage, and Clan weaknesses are very useful tools – for example, Toreadors usually flock together and behave similarly, and the guy with no reflection who's summoning shadow tentacles to rip your face off is definitely a Lasombra – but there can still be considerable room for misidentification, especially when time is short and opportunity scarce.

I always thought the Slasher was a feral Gangrel, since his Disciplines and (presumed) siring method match up fairly well at least with the way the game handles Protean*.

Unless someone that knows more than I about getting information out of the game knows different, I can't see anywhere it actually specifies any given vampire's clan, so :shrug:

fakeedit: I just tried and I can confirm that, at least in Plus Patch, he does have the war form all the way back in the Santa Monica Diner and he will push your poo poo in if you attack him.

* That reminds me, I have a crazy theory about the Gangrel in this game, but it’s massive spoilers until much later so I’ll bench it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also the guy who looks like something out of your nightmares is a Tzsimisce.

It's actually funny than that young Tzimisce are cruel but the thing itself is so far gone that it no longer has any concept of cruelty. It has no malice while it twists your body into something unnatural, it only recognized you as raw material.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

He was shotguned in the face with a phosphorus round by an Archon, but still went on to trash an entire room full of battle-hardened Camirilla Kindred before being sliced in half with a sword.

One of the vamps that he kicked the poo poo out of was the main character from the other V:TM videogame, Christof Romuald, which instantly made me like him more.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

GrimRevenant posted:

A Tremere, if they get their hands on some of your blood, can get an awful lot of information on you. With the right Thaumataturgical ritual, they can identify your generation, clan, and potentially all your sires back to the fourth generation if they get enough blood from you and they enough successes when performing the ritual. (Incidentally, they also have a ritual pretty much perfectly designed for getting their hands on your blood. If a Tremere offers you a sealed container, just say no™.)

Experienced Ventrue can pull off something similar, provided they get a chance to sit down and savor someone's vitae like a wine sommelier.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

He was shotguned in the face with a phosphorus round by an Archon,

Good old Theo Bell. Best Archon, in my opinion.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

apostateCourier posted:

This is actually true. Having pre-embrace attachments is a (variety of) mechanical flaw(s), which gives you more character creation points to make your vampire more awesome. It comes with the expected headaches.

It's also possible for a vampire to 1. always be under the effects of Breath of Life without spending blood, regardless of humanity, and 2. show up as human to Auspex.

That sounds complicated. I Have only LARPed VtM, and it was like half people who were new to it, so the technical stuff was pretty stripped down, I am glad to not have had to deal with that. (Of course, our storytellers had their own ways of screwing us over anyway)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thesaya posted:

That sounds complicated. I Have only LARPed VtM, and it was like half people who were new to it, so the technical stuff was pretty stripped down, I am glad to not have had to deal with that. (Of course, our storytellers had their own ways of screwing us over anyway)

Funny thing is, when you're not LARPing a lot of things are way less complicated in practice.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Funny thing is, when you're not LARPing a lot of things are way less complicated in practice.

LARPing adds an entire layer of barely working cobbled together rules to everything. Not a good representation of a system.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I have the monster entry on my shelf about Giant Space Hamsters from Spelljammer that mentions Gnomes have bred a miniature version to keep as pets, which is a ridiculous notion.

I'm not sure if Baldur's Gate or Spelljammer came first, though.

Spelljammer was late '89. Giant Space Hamsters were in the first MC Appendix for it, released a few months after in 1990. Well before the BG series. Given Minsc was originally a Dark Sun character, and that setting doesn't have a lot of interaction with the Planescape as a whole, I imagine Boo started off as a simple mascot for the comic relief and only ended up as Miniature Giant Space Hamster for BG itself. Yo, strike all that, his original campaign hared off into the Planes at higher levels. (I was sceptical about the use for a DS Ranger in such an ornamental pet, but I guess it's at least not as bad for your water supplies as anything larger and more combat-capable).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(I was sceptical about the use for a DS Ranger in such an ornamental pet, but I guess it's at least not as bad for your water supplies as anything larger and more combat-capable).

And it's trained to go for the eyes.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Spelljammer was late '89. Giant Space Hamsters were in the first MC Appendix for it, released a few months after in 1990. Well before the BG series. Given Minsc was originally a Dark Sun character, and that setting doesn't have a lot of interaction with the Planescape as a whole, I imagine Boo started off as a simple mascot for the comic relief and only ended up as Miniature Giant Space Hamster for BG itself. Yo, strike all that, his original campaign hared off into the Planes at higher levels. (I was sceptical about the use for a DS Ranger in such an ornamental pet, but I guess it's at least not as bad for your water supplies as anything larger and more combat-capable).

Wait what? Minsc was a Dark Sun character? Did I miss something?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Sure.

quote:

Most of the characters in Baldur's Gate had their origins in pen and paper games. A majority of these characters came from two Dungeons and Dragons campaigns that I dungeon mastered before and during the development of Baldur's Gate. When these characters were put into Baldur's Gate, they often went under a significant metamorphosis, simply so that they would fit the role that we needed at the time. The one thing we always kept the same was the characters name.

The two campaigns that these characters were drawn from were a Forgotten Realms campaign, and a Dark Sun/ Planescape campaign. The Darksun campaign was sort of a sequel to the Forgotten Realms campaign, as I had monkeyed around with the history of Darksun so that the Forgotten Realms represented the pre-cataclysm history. I mixed Planescape in once the characters were higher level, just because it was such an immersive setting.

The most popular character in Baldur's Gate was the hamster totting Minsc. The pen and paper version of this character was played by Cameron Tofer (associate producer and lead programmer of MDK2). As in the game, Minsc was an unstable ranger played for comic relief who carried around a hamster named Boo. Luke Kristjanson (lead writer on BG) took this basic concept and wrote some really funny dialogue, thus turning Minsc into one of the most enjoyable characters that you could meet in BG. In the pen and paper game, Minsc wasn't a Rasheman berserker, but rather a Darksun ranger.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

I finally have an explanation for why Minsc was some bizarre ranger kit with barbarian rage. :aaaaa:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Newbie here that actually got an account for this LP alone, If recall correctly, isn't Jack supposed to be Jack Rackham? I always remember from what I had seen that he was supposed to be pretty big stuff when he was a pirate
Edit : Somebody tell me if I need to put spoiler tags on that?

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 6, 2014

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JackNapier posted:

Newbie here that actually got an account for this LP alone, If recall correctly, isn't Jack supposed to be Jack Rackham? I always remember from what I had seen that he was supposed to be pretty big stuff when he was a pirate
Edit : Somebody tell me if I need to put spoiler tags on that?

It's implied pretty heavily that he was originally a pirate in the seventeen hundreds until he was embraced, but who exactly was never confirmed.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 6, 2014

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

TheRagamuffin posted:

I finally have an explanation for why Minsc was some bizarre ranger kit with barbarian rage. :aaaaa:
It's not the Dark Sun origin – berserkers are a pretty important part of the Rashemi culture to which both Minsc and Dynaheir belong, and which is an established part of the Forgotten Realms setting. (Their main foes on a national level are the Red Wizards of Thay, incidentally.)

The rest of the article from which that quote is drawn is a pretty interesting read, especially the part on Xan.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Stroth posted:

It's implied pretty heavily that he was originally a pirate in the seventeen hundreds until he was embraced, but who exactly was never confirmed.

I think if you play a Malkavian, they actually call him "Smiling Jack" on occasion, and Jack would have the perfect cover if he was Jack Rackham, because supposedly his skeleton was hanging from a cage at a port in fort royal for a very long time, IRL history, not backwards as gently caress AC4 history

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

JackNapier posted:

I think if you play a Malkavian, they actually call him "Smiling Jack" on occasion, and Jack would have the perfect cover if he was Jack Rackham, because supposedly his skeleton was hanging from a cage at a port in fort royal for a very long time, IRL history, not backwards as gently caress AC4 history

Jack Rackham's violence tendencies and other issues would also fit in perfectly with Smiling Jack as presented in the books - he's less badass-and-cool and more rogue force of chaos/huge flaming rear end in a top hat with a wicked sense of humor.

At least until the Gehenna book, where he takes up gardening for a little while.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Jack Rackham's violence tendencies and other issues would also fit in perfectly with Smiling Jack as presented in the books - he's less badass-and-cool and more rogue force of chaos/huge flaming rear end in a top hat with a wicked sense of humor.

At least until the Gehenna book, where he takes up gardening for a little while.

Yeah, Jack Rackham's tendencies fit very well with our own loveable Jack, and personality wise he seems pretty similar historically, I would like to imagine whoever his sire was looked at Jack and thought to himself "He's going to wreck some poor idiots poopoo sometime in the future, and it'll be hilarious"
Conversation about my favorite Bloodlines character aside, I love this thread to bits, and I've learned so much poopoo from this thread I feel like I actually know something about the White Wolf world, beyond what I've seen in Bloodlines and the god awful Hunter Reckoning game that I still have a copy of.
Another edit because the question just popped into my mind, is there any real explanation on the Hunters from Reckoning and their "Creeds"? Or is it literally just "Hey, you got the poopoo kicked out of you when you were alive by life, here's some magick powers to make you feel better, go kill supernatural things"

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 6, 2014

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JackNapier posted:

whoever his sire was
Mama Lion.

And yeah, Jack's attitude fits Calico Jack pretty well, but "rogue force of chaos/huge flaming rear end in a top hat with a wicked sense of humor" fits a hell of a lot of pirates form that time period. It was kind of part of the job.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

JackNapier posted:

Yeah, Jack Rackham's tendencies fit very well with our own loveable Jack, and personality wise he seems pretty similar historically, I would like to imagine whoever his sire was looked at Jack and thought to himself "He's going to wreck some poor idiots poopoo sometime in the future, and it'll be hilarious"
Conversation about my favorite Bloodlines character aside, I love this thread to bits, and I've learned so much poopoo from this thread I feel like I actually know something about the White Wolf world, beyond what I've seen in Bloodlines and the god awful Hunter Reckoning game that I still have a copy of.
Another edit because the question just popped into my mind, is there any real explanation on the Hunters from Reckoning and their "Creeds"? Or is it literally just "Hey, you got the poopoo kicked out of you when you were alive by life, here's some magick powers to make you feel better, go kill supernatural things"

You can swear here, it's okay.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

You can swear here, it's okay.

Alright, I've seen a lot of posts and LP's like that and I didn't want to get probated my like first week here.
And at Stroth, that's true, but from what I've seen and heard of Jack, his particular brand of Flaming rear end in a top hat Pirate fits very well with Calico Jack, that being said, as a history guy, in the world of White Wolf, who all in history has been more then human, the threads covered Dracula already, but any other big names?

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 6, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JackNapier posted:

Alright, I've seen a lot of posts and LP's like that and I didn't want to get probated my like first week here.
When you aren't logged in there's a filter.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

JT Jag posted:

When you aren't logged in there's a filter.

Seriously? I just figured it was a thing that was done on the forums, didn't realize it was an actual filter if you weren't logged on

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Back to game talk. I had absolutely no clue what this game was when I got it, traded a buddy of it for some burnt Metallica cd's like five or six years ago, and the first clan I went for was the Malkavian, so I went through the whole game without a clue what the gently caress was going on

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

JackNapier posted:

And at Stroth, that's true, but from what I've seen and heard of Jack, his particular brand of Flaming rear end in a top hat Pirate fits very well with Calico Jack, that being said, as a history guy, in the world of White Wolf, who all in history has been more then human, the threads covered Dracula already, but any other big names?

Heinrich Himmler is, I believe, the Tremere primogen of Berlin.

Because White Wolf is loving terrible, is why.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Heinrich Himmler is, I believe, the Tremere primogen of Berlin.

Because White Wolf is loving terrible, is why.

Wow! Wasn't expecting that, somebody please tell me Hitler was like, a Ventrue, please, that would make me come full circle on this. Because if Himmler was a Tremere, wow, just wow

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Eh, of all the Nazis, I guess I'd have Himmler down as a Tremere. We know White Wolf loving loves them some historical figures, and in all the stories about Nazi occultism, Himmler's name comes up most of the time, so I suppose he's a natural fit? :shrug:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Eh, of all the Nazis, I guess I'd have Himmler down as a Tremere. We know White Wolf loving loves them some historical figures, and in all the stories about Nazi occultism, Himmler's name comes up most of the time, so I suppose he's a natural fit? :shrug:

Yeah, he was big into the occult, as history well pointed out, and actually designed all of the insignia for the SS, based off of old Germanic Runes, and was apparently huge into the occult and into 'aliens' so it fits he'd be a Tremere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Just because I love the little nut cases, any important Malkavians in history?
Edit: I'm not gumming up the thread with really stupid basic knowledge questions, am I?

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread