Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

jeeves posted:

Does anyone know a decent map program on Windows Phone that will actually let someone find directions but like choose a different path than the one the thing picks by default?

My GF is really annoyed since it keeps trying to plot her through the shittiest busiest freeway in the area.

Waze. It's free too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I recommend Waze, but the WP port seems to be very buggy for me. I'm not sure it's fair to say that when I'm running a beta OS, but my problem is that whenever it calculates a route it gets stuck at the calculation screen until I back out of the app entirely. I think the app itself is still working underneath the calculation screen, but I dunno.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

cstine posted:

1. It's in Android L, for phones. Tablets have had it for ages for some reason.

5. 3rd party launchers all pretty much offer this.

7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications&hl=en - even lets you pick which apps.

13. Google keyboard's swipe is... not fantastic. But, hey, take your pick of a dozen other good options.

14. K-9 mail does, and I find I prefer it to the google mail clients, generally.

Cheers for this. I hope the Moto G gets Android L.

Continuing my WP/Android comparison:

1. Maps – with Google Maps deleting history has to be done one item at a time. HERE Maps is much more user-friendly, I find.
2. No offline maps in Android - this is a huge thing for me as my data cap is only 1GB.
3. Battery is still eaten alive when using GPS during navigation. I was hoping there would be some power efficiency improvements over this past 2 years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. Maps – with Google Maps deleting history has to be done one item at a time. HERE Maps is much more user-friendly, I find.
2. No offline maps in Android - this is a huge thing for me as my data cap is only 1GB.
3. Battery is still eaten alive when using GPS during navigation. I was hoping there would be some power efficiency improvements over this past 2 years.

There is offline caching in Maps, but there's some unintuitive way to do it. Alternatively, I found out today that if you search for a route and lose service, it still works nicely if you don't need to change the route.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

RVProfootballer posted:

There is offline caching in Maps, but there's some unintuitive way to do it. Alternatively, I found out today that if you search for a route and lose service, it still works nicely if you don't need to change the route.

I tried the offline caching thing, but it didn't work for me, just kept telling me I was offline. That's why I saved the loving map, Android. It's nice to have this experience with Android, though. I do feel kinda sad leaving Windows Phone for now. Like I'm turning my back on an old friend.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Moto G will get L probably will be one of the first phones to do so. The unlocked G and X have been getting updates nearly as fast as Nexus devices. I haven't found a device that doesn't clobber battery during GPS navigation with turn by turn.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

5. This is my personal preference, but I prefer vertical scrolling for apps instead of horizontal scrolling. Horizontal arrangement seems a bit visually busy sometimes.

If you want to customize the phone get the Nova launcher.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ovalauncher.com

Personally I have customized my Moto X to have only one homescreen with a 5x5 grid and the launcher with a 6x6 grid. This allows me the least amount of mode error (I always know exactly where everything is on the home screen) and the least amount of pages of apps.

If I wasn't too cheap to buy Nova Prime I'd have folders in the program list to cut down my program list to 2 pages of apps.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I bought a Lumia 521, so I could have an actual Windows Phone for development again. I figured I would go with a cheap one since if I target that, and it runs really well, then it should run awesome on higher end stuff. And man is it low end. I'm not accustom to having such a low end phone so it's weird not having things like a front facing camera, or a good screen. But for what I need, and for what most Windows Phone users have, this works just fine. I'm upgrading it to 8.1 right now.

The best thing about it is the Camera. It's way better than the HTC One M8... but that's not saying much :v:.

EDIT: I've made some more advancements on Awful Music, recorded off of said Lumia 521.

I gotta make my lazy image loading stuff work better, you should not see any popups like that :v:.
It does play music now, with background audio. I have a very very basic UI that supports it, but it's still mostly to keep hacking away at the back end stuff. The biggest idea I have for the UI at the moment is to make sure the music controls are always on screen, no matter where you are in the app. The XAML pages are all in a root frame, with the controls at the bottom. Right now it's just the default Media element controls, but I'm cooking up my own right now. I'm also thinking about making them expandable, so if, say, you're driving, or want big buttons and sliders to change tracks or the time in the song, you'll be able to.

I like the big artists artwork though. I really wanted to show that off :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 6, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The "low end" thing sort of hit me with my 625 when I tried to use it to get some directions in Toronto and BAM I realize it doesn't have a compass.

I guess I should have checked the specs or something, but I thought it was part of the GPS or accelerometer chipsets these days so I was kind of all :rolleyes: ..

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I finally ordered my White Lumia Icon earlier today to replace my iPhone 4. Turns out Verizon stores do different prices than the website and while our local store was selling it for $199.99, it was $99.99 on the website. Since I was renewing a 2-year contract, entering the coupon code TECHBAR (VZWDEAL may also work) knocked it down to $49.99! Now I just have to wait until Tuesday for it to get here.

Goodbye Jobs, hello Gates!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did GMail deletes change in 8.1 or something?

I've noticed now that when I delete messages on my phone, they are just "archived", which is a godawful behavior, regardless of what the settings are in the IMAP settings page on my gmail account.

I can't find anything else on the phone settings or GMail settings that would explain this behavior, and it's ONLY happening to messages that get deleted on my phone, not any other devices.

Now I get to cleanup a shitton of unwanted messages, thanks Google for dropping EAS. :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played with an Icon this weekend at the VZW phone, had the 920 last year for a bit and really liked it. I have a Galaxy S5 right now but I'm not using it all that much for how much I spent on it. For it being almost as new, the Icon's value on Swappa is remarkably lower, about $490 vs $370. Reallllllly considering getting rid of the S5 for it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good to-do app I can sync online? I need something better than using OneNote to keep up with my chores and future plans for things like renewing car junk.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a good to-do app I can sync online? I need something better than using OneNote to keep up with my chores and future plans for things like renewing car junk.

May not be what you're looking for, but I use Cortana to remind of one-off stuff (do "X" when I get to work tomorrow - works fantastic for this) and just throw everything else on my calendar.

Not sure how this is, but it syncs with the Windows 8 app and may do what you want: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tasks/21c17744-f63c-4b21-8a69-600cd08193f5

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
On Android I used Series Guide to track tv shows and notify me of upcoming episodes/seasons. Tried several Windows apps and they aren't very good. I bought Series Fan because the trial seemed perfect but the full app is kinda crappy. I want an app that will sync with Trakt, allow me to tick off shows as I watch them, notify me of upcoming shows, will hide shows that are caught up, preferably with a good usable interface that allows many sorting options. Anyone use an app like that?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm afraid I'm never going to grow the stones to purchase the 1520

It's so... big

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
So I survived 3 1/2 years with my iphone 4s not having a protective case on it but my slippery hands finally resulted in a cracked screen. It's still usable but I figured now is as good a time as any to try a Windows Phone. I've been lurking this thread for about a year and went ahead and bought a 520 off contract for ATT from the Microsoft store. It gives me a chance to try out the platform and depending on how much I like it I might buy whatever new flagship phone comes out this winter(?).

I'm not really too concerned about apps (except my TD Ameritrade app, I think the Win one is basically just the website RIP) as I don't use many. I mostly just do a ton of browsing on my phone and listen to music on it in the car and around the house.

I would appreciate a heads up of things I'm not thinking about with this switch. Whenever I read this thread and people are like "yeah I have this backup phone and I bought this other phone a couple months ago and then there's this phone that I use to test stuff" I just kind of go :stare: because I'm a very "use this one product for 4+ years until it's on its last legs" type of person.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

I bought a Lumia 521, so I could have an actual Windows Phone for development again. I figured I would go with a cheap one since if I target that, and it runs really well, then it should run awesome on higher end stuff. And man is it low end. I'm not accustom to having such a low end phone so it's weird not having things like a front facing camera, or a good screen. But for what I need, and for what most Windows Phone users have, this works just fine. I'm upgrading it to 8.1 right now.

The best thing about it is the Camera. It's way better than the HTC One M8... but that's not saying much :v:.

EDIT: I've made some more advancements on Awful Music, recorded off of said Lumia 521.

I gotta make my lazy image loading stuff work better, you should not see any popups like that :v:.
It does play music now, with background audio. I have a very very basic UI that supports it, but it's still mostly to keep hacking away at the back end stuff. The biggest idea I have for the UI at the moment is to make sure the music controls are always on screen, no matter where you are in the app. The XAML pages are all in a root frame, with the controls at the bottom. Right now it's just the default Media element controls, but I'm cooking up my own right now. I'm also thinking about making them expandable, so if, say, you're driving, or want big buttons and sliders to change tracks or the time in the song, you'll be able to.

I like the big artists artwork though. I really wanted to show that off :3:

I like it already. The Artwalk almost brings the old Zune look back as well.

Rip off all you can of the Zune "Screensaver" effect since that was really good looking and xbox music does nothing but remind me how good Zune used to be and how ugly and bad the music app is now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I'm afraid I'm never going to grow the stones to purchase the 1520

It's so... big

I thought so too. In fact, I used to scoff at the big phablet phones. Now I've been on a 1520 for about a month and it's going to be hard to go down in size if/when McLaren comes out.

What I'm saying is, you get used to it, and I don't regret it at all.

(If it helps, you could always get one used in great shape on eBay/Craigslist and sell it for only a small loss if you don't like it.)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Drastic Actions posted:

Cool. I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself. Yours looks better than mine at the moment.

In the battle to prove how bad Xbox Music is, no matter who wins, we all win because Xbox Music is just that bad.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So now we already have a GDR1 for 8.1 coming our way....

Has 8.1 actually officially made it to anything outside of the 630 series yet? The 930 isn't even out yet is it?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If anyone's looking for a cheap 520, Amazon has them today for $44.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E45043A/

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Maneki Neko posted:

If anyone's looking for a cheap 520, Amazon has them today for $44.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E45043A/

4 days after I get one for $59. :argh: That GoPhone deal is better than what I have somehow. I think I'm capped at 300mb a month or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

On Android I used Series Guide to track tv shows and notify me of upcoming episodes/seasons. Tried several Windows apps and they aren't very good. I bought Series Fan because the trial seemed perfect but the full app is kinda crappy. I want an app that will sync with Trakt, allow me to tick off shows as I watch them, notify me of upcoming shows, will hide shows that are caught up, preferably with a good usable interface that allows many sorting options. Anyone use an app like that?

Which ones have you tried? I don't use Trakt, but it looks like the general recommendations are:

WPTrakt
Prime TV
TV Blaze

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bushes posted:

4 days after I get one for $59. :argh: That GoPhone deal is better than what I have somehow. I think I'm capped at 300mb a month or something.

That's a pretty good deal, drat. If I've got AT&Ts GoPhone $25 plan (250 minutes, unlimited text, no data) on a basic phone, can I still use this phone without needing to go to a data plan and use on wifi only?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Has 8.1 actually officially made it to anything outside of the 630 series yet? The 930 isn't even out yet is it?
Received an email today that it's supposedly in stock in a shop in Belgium. If it's available, where are the reviews?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Maneki Neko posted:

Which ones have you tried? I don't use Trakt, but it looks like the general recommendations are:

WPTrakt
Prime TV
TV Blaze

Prime and Blaze for sure, each have some features I want. Not sure about Wp, I'll look at it again. A couple I didn't try because recent reviews were negative. The only reason I use Trakt is to sync from my old phone to the new one.

edit, I like WP better than the others.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Is there anything interesting in the final 8.1 that we haven't already had in the previews? Some cool feature they kept under wraps?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LifeSizePotato posted:

Is there anything interesting in the final 8.1 that we haven't already had in the previews? Some cool feature they kept under wraps?

I'd say "all signs point to no", but they're apparently almost done with 8.1 Update 1, so maybe something interesting there?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Native folder integration, or at least that's the rumor.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
I hope for an update to Glance.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

bushes posted:

So I survived 3 1/2 years with my iphone 4s not having a protective case on it but my slippery hands finally resulted in a cracked screen. It's still usable but I figured now is as good a time as any to try a Windows Phone. I've been lurking this thread for about a year and went ahead and bought a 520 off contract for ATT from the Microsoft store. It gives me a chance to try out the platform and depending on how much I like it I might buy whatever new flagship phone comes out this winter(?).

I'm not really too concerned about apps (except my TD Ameritrade app, I think the Win one is basically just the website RIP) as I don't use many. I mostly just do a ton of browsing on my phone and listen to music on it in the car and around the house.

I would appreciate a heads up of things I'm not thinking about with this switch. Whenever I read this thread and people are like "yeah I have this backup phone and I bought this other phone a couple months ago and then there's this phone that I use to test stuff" I just kind of go :stare: because I'm a very "use this one product for 4+ years until it's on its last legs" type of person.

As no one has said anything yet the advice seems to be either get to a phone shop that will let you play with the phone for a bit or buy a 520 (they are peanuts at the moment) to try out (get the developer release app as it will allow you to upgrade to the 8.1 beta) and have a play.

If you like the way WP works then the 630/635 is the current budget phone and the 930 is the top of the line phone will be out soon so those are the best options for new. If you want something inbetween the two the 925 is a good middle ground and it will get 8.1 soon.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

Cool. I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself. Yours looks better than mine at the moment.

In the battle to prove how bad Xbox Music is, no matter who wins, we all win because Xbox Music is just that bad.

Nice! I wish you luck. I'm going to put my stuff on my github at some point. It's the first time I've used AutoFac, and doing a bunch of other XAML techniques so I really need to clean up my code some more. But it's getting better and better the more I bang away at it.

Anyway, made some more changes to the UI. I figured out that it kinda sucked the way it was. My goal is to make the targets really big, so that it's easy to operate when, say, driving. The one above looks okay, but it's a real pain in the rear end to use this way.

That's a bit better I think. It scales with the device too, so the bigger the screen, the more albums fit in the grid and such. And it's virtualized too, which helps performance (and means I don't have to do it myself :v:).

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2014

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So I have a home server/NAS, with all my music/movies on it. I can access it via FTP if necessary. I want an app that will allow me to stream the movies, principally, and somehow this seems hard to find. Anyone any recommendations?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jeherrin posted:

So I have a home server/NAS, with all my music/movies on it. I can access it via FTP if necessary. I want an app that will allow me to stream the movies, principally, and somehow this seems hard to find. Anyone any recommendations?

I use Plex.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Just got my first stab at writing WinPhone apps using F#. I'm pretty stoked about it as I can have it cross-compiled for Android and iOS, too.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all this.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
As soon as I finally make up my mind to order a 1520, newegg runs out of the white version. :(

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anyone use twitter and get double notifications?

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Jeherrin posted:

I use moliplayer pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Anyone use twitter and get double notifications?

Do you have both twitter and twitter beta installed?