Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Rail Wars failed to display multi-track drifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

But they did master in a few hours at most, what real steam engine firemen spent years learning, that is firing a steam engine well.
Also characters showing generally poor judgment in handling that purse snatcher situation.
Still way better than the Locodol poo poo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/fever-huruhi

They're doing some sort of live stream or contest for that Haruhi Pachinko game on Monday. Only worth noting since it's on Tanabata and we're waiting for Yuki-chan anime details.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tokyo Ghoul: I made it as far as the ominous chanting before I started laughing. I was kinda hoping that the adaptation would try to play up the manga's more serious, psychological side, but gently caress it, I can work with full-on campy gorey bullshit too. :haw:

I did appreciate how quickly it's running through the story, though- a lot of shows would have spun out the opening segment and placed the she's a ghoul!!!!! twist at the end of the first episode. And it must be an absolute joy to be voicing this show: it's wall to wall ham in here. No scenery left unchewed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Is there at least an obscene amount of train detail? American personal rail transport is poo poo and I've always been fascinated by other countries with great public transport systems.

Or is it just trains as a vehicle for a bunch of anime tits bouncing around?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pentyne posted:

Is there at least an obscene amount of train detail? American personal rail transport is poo poo and I've always been fascinated by other countries with great public transport systems.
American rail is set up primarily for long-distance cargo transport, which it is utilized for at a much higher rate than in places like Europe. It's less romantic than people-carrying trains, I suppose, but given the population density of the US it's probably a much more efficient use of the system. :shrug:

quote:

Or is it just trains as a vehicle for a bunch of anime tits bouncing around?
There's a certain amount of train nerdery, but that's probably closer to the truth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

American rail is set up primarily for long-distance cargo transport, which it is utilized for at a much higher rate than in places like Europe. It's less romantic than people-carrying trains, I suppose, but given the population density of the US it's probably a much more efficient use of the system. :shrug:
There's a certain amount of train nerdery, but that's probably closer to the truth.

Public transport in most cities is also poo poo. Aside from NY, DC, and SF I can't think of any other major metro areas with good public transport.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Argevellon is pretty poo poo. It's completely derivative, it's a post-LGoH setting we've heard a billion times before. And they can't even disguise the irony behind all the statements by the characters for even a moment.

Even the robots looked poo poo. I like big clunky realistic robots, but they made the combat completely weightless and boring. There was one good fight scene with the idiot MC getting flanked and torn to shreds, but the rest were long slow shots of people walking into gunfire.

And perhaps it's because my animewatching pedigree is lacking, but the MC is like the worst bits of Eren Jaeger without any of his upsides. Let's make him constantly mad and on edge all the time, except we don't know why he's angry, and let's not have anyone respond properly to his actions. Instead of having him make mistakes under pressure, let's have him flub elementary poo poo like walking. Let's power him up with none of the physical and emotional downsides.

And let's have all our characters casually sit around and amble to and fro in a loving warzone. Can't you rip of Spielberg properly?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping Argevollen will be saved by the seemingly competent colonel and captain, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as you did. The MC didn't strike me as angry so much as earnest. They were casually sitting around because it wasn't a warzone yet and once it was they ambled to and fro because the robots are slow and cumbersome.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Crunchyroll servers are dying from all the people trying to watch SAO 2 I guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Phobophilia posted:

Argevellon is pretty poo poo. It's completely derivative, it's a post-LGoH setting we've heard a billion times before. And they can't even disguise the irony behind all the statements by the characters for even a moment.

Even the robots looked poo poo. I like big clunky realistic robots, but they made the combat completely weightless and boring. There was one good fight scene with the idiot MC getting flanked and torn to shreds, but the rest were long slow shots of people walking into gunfire.

And perhaps it's because my animewatching pedigree is lacking, but the MC is like the worst bits of Eren Jaeger without any of his upsides. Let's make him constantly mad and on edge all the time, except we don't know why he's angry, and let's not have anyone respond properly to his actions. Instead of having him make mistakes under pressure, let's have him flub elementary poo poo like walking. Let's power him up with none of the physical and emotional downsides.

And let's have all our characters casually sit around and amble to and fro in a loving warzone. Can't you rip of Spielberg properly?

And the animation is really bad except for the male main character's really great rear end for some reason

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Demicol posted:

Crunchyroll servers are dying from all the people trying to watch SAO 2 I guess.

That or the new Sailor Moon.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Crunchyroll's servers don't actually need a reason to die

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Argevellon episode 1, like a "making mech anime for dummies" book was behind it, much like I have encountered death metal bands having composited and written their songs after a "for dummies" book. It was a plethora of predictable plop and a bundle of boring business until things started happening, then cycling back to that. Certainly appreciating keeping it down to earth and realistic in an earthbound scifi way though, sticking with it for another two because I have a hunch it'll go one way or another. For now it's a mech anime with the least amount of cliches ever seen and it is not going to become a surprise-LoGH of mech series, you know who you are, you hopeful beautiful bastard.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I daresay Aldnoah.Zero is shaping up to be the superior Mecha show, but it's too soon to say. Going to give it another episode.

I'm not the best judge though, I kinda hate mecha shows. Not that I can't appreciate a giant robot now and again but the whole genre is married to the most aggravating and repetitive tropes, it makes shonen fighting shows look innovative by comparison. Has there been an actually revolutionary mecha show in like, the last 10 years? 15?

Sailor Moon is alright, coming from the perspective of someone who watched a dozen episodes when he was 13.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
After the first ep, I'm pretty optimistic about Aldnoah.Zero myself, though I'm not much of a mech fan either. Then again this episode had barely any mech, reading more like a political thriller with a hint of space opera, info-dumping and all. In any case, the setting seems interesting, the writers seem competent, and it looks pretty good production-wise, so I'm gonna keep watching, robots or no.

As far as the other shows I've checked out, Sailor Moon's alright and I'll probably keep watching because hype train, Glasslip is pretty and I loved NagiAsu so I'll give it a few more eps to get interesting, Tokyo Ghoul seems like it could be decent but I'm not that hopeful, and Free! is dumb as hell but I'm gonna watch it and I'm gonna love it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Put me down for really digging the new Sailor Moon. It's easy to get into, and while it'll probably take a few episodes to click for some if you have any affection for the series at all you'll probably like it right away. Direction and pacing is solid and it looks gorgeous. There was a risk that it'd end up mostly pandering to male fans but it still feels like a girls show, to a greater extent than even Pretty Cure. Actually it just feels like an all ages and genders kind of deal, which is good.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

SAO II is just as somehow unintentionally hilarious and absurdly boring as everyone always said it was(never stuck with the first series long, myself), the new Sailor Moon looks and sounds like garbage and Alnoah.Zero just makes me wanna watch Turn A Gundam again, but at least there's new Dandy tonight.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sailor Moon was great. Even better than I expected.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
So, the AV Club of all places is reviewing the new "Sailor Moon". :stare: Did not expect to see that, especially since "Space Dandy" just got a single review from them. Here's their review.

NETVERK
Jul 4, 2014

You're unpleasant!
Aldnoah.Zero was really kinda cool, and the real action hasn't even started yet. The graphic design was nice, and the backstory and world-building seemed interesting. It felt like I was jumping into the middle of a narrative that had been going on for a long time, but the show did a good job explaining the setting.

Sailor Moon was fun and quite good. The soundtrack was okay, I liked it.
I also liked the soundtrack of Aldnoah, but is it just me or does every soundtrack by Hiroyuki Sawano sound the same?

I watched Glasslip yesterday. I thought it was incredibly laid back, but it felt sorta filler-ish, which may be a bad sign for the first episode.
Rail Wars, I didn't like. I stopped it after getting to the second half. The entire show felt really kinda cheap. It could become 'so bad it's good', but I doubt it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

NETVERK posted:

Aldnoah.Zero (...), but the show did a good job explaining the setting.

Perhaps I missed a few lines on the subs but I found the show did exact opposite: terrible job of explaining the setting. Well, the "opposing forces" perhaps, but general history makes no sense to me whatsoever. Alternative history where Apollo 17 founds ~ancient alien technology~, humans starting to colonize Mars, HUMAN interstellar Empire appears out of nowhere but they're originally from Earth - Like they left in ancient history or some poo poo? What year is it even supposed to be in the show? Current year?

I don't understand where the Empire or w/e came and how did humans colonize Mars and why are they called "martians" and.. What the Christ. :psyduck:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 5, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Dessel posted:

What year is it even supposed to be in the show? Current year?
1999+15, so yes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Aldnoah.Zero: In the grim darkness of the alternate near future, there are still Snuggies.

I went into Barakamon knowing absolutely nothing about it, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I went into Barakamon knowing absolutely nothing about it, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ah right, the one that's region-locked...Yeah, that's actually a pretty good show. If it stays as entertaining as the first episode, I'm in.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012

Dessel posted:

Perhaps I missed a few lines on the subs but I found the show did exact opposite: terrible job of explaining the setting. Well, the "opposing forces" perhaps, but general history makes no sense to me whatsoever. Alternative history where Apollo 17 founds ~ancient alien technology~, humans starting to colonize Mars, HUMAN interstellar Empire appears out of nowhere but they're originally from Earth - Like they left in ancient history or some poo poo? What year is it even supposed to be in the show? Current year?

I don't understand where the Empire or w/e came and how did humans colonize Mars and why are they called "martians" and.. What the Christ. :psyduck:

I think what happened is that the colonists took over the hyper gate or w/e, and started the empire. fast forward a few years there is a big war between the colonists and the earth which is ended in the "ceasefire" when the colonists drop the hammer and blow up the moon

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Quad Cape posted:

I think what happened is that the colonists took over the hyper gate or w/e, and started the empire. fast forward a few years there is a big war between the colonists and the earth which is ended in the "ceasefire" when the colonists drop the hammer and blow up the moon

Aldnoah Zero
What I understood is that humans found the gate on the moon, used it to go to mars, found ancient technology, then this alien empire shows up and says its theirs and a war breaks out which causes the moon to blow up, after which there has been a peace for a while. How and when these "aliens" left earth isn't explained yet.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Can someone tell me what the backlash against Free! was about? It wasn't just because the studio made a show with a female audience in mind, was it?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hocus Pocus posted:

Can someone tell me what the backlash against Free! was about? It wasn't just because the studio made a show with a female audience in mind, was it?

A lot of people claimed they were mad that KyoAni was funding "fujoshi bait" instead of the next Nichijou or whatever, but basically yes, you're right.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

No, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNR9JFP_TU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This reminds me how, even if Fumoffu is one of my favorite comedic animes of all time (Tomokazu Seki as the stoic funny-man will never not be funny), there will never be a 3rd Season of FMP. :(

Also, is it weird to be jealous of fictional characters with toned musculature? Seeing the first episode of the 2nd season of Free makes me feel like hating my body.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just saw the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal, without having seen any Sailor Moon before.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the main character so far; she reminds me a bit of Tsuna from Reborn. (The magic jewelry is also kind of like Reborn, amusingly.) Unlike Tsuna, she doesn't even get any more competent when she transforms; she basically wins the fight by accident. Hopefully she'll develop character traits beyond "bad at everything" eventually.

This franchise has a reputation for appealing to some creepy people despite being aimed primarily at teenage girls, but the transformation scene was thankfully not at all creepy. I thought the animation for it was really cool, although it could get old if they recycle the whole thing every time she transforms.

The shapeshifter telling Naru she couldn't be allowed to live made me wonder why it didn't kill Naru's mother. Maybe it can only take the shape of a living person?

Overall, I guess it's earned the three-episode test, narrowly.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Robert Denby posted:

So, the AV Club of all places is reviewing the new "Sailor Moon". :stare: Did not expect to see that, especially since "Space Dandy" just got a single review from them. Here's their review.

They also did a TV Roundtable for the DIC version of the first season finale a while back.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/sailor-moon-crystal-act-1-usagi-sailor-moon-206562

Genevieve Koski clearly chose this one. Just look at what the other panelists say:

Zack Handlen: "This was definitely my first exposure to the show"

Carrie Raisler: "this was my first experience with Sailor Moon—and my first experience with anime at all.."

Todd VanDerWerff: "I have seen exactly one episode of Sailor Moon before this one..."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

SAO II is just as somehow unintentionally hilarious and absurdly boring as everyone always said it was(never stuck with the first series long, myself), the new Sailor Moon looks and sounds like garbage and Alnoah.Zero just makes me wanna watch Turn A Gundam again, but at least there's new Dandy tonight.

"Unintentionally hilarious" is how I'd describe that first episode, but I'm not so sure about the "unintentionally" part. The melodrama felt so intentional that I have a hard time believing A-1 isn't trying to make it look silly as hell.

But despite all that the writing managed to stay half competent. Or maybe I'm deluding myself, idk.

I checked out the new Sailor Moon too, and it was a decent introduction I think. This coming from someone who has never watched any of the original and knows nothing about it except that it is a famous MG show from the 90's.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have seen literally one episode of Sailor Moon original flavor, and I have to say that the song in Crystal's OP is nowhere near as good.

I'm not really feeling the new character art. Something about it is "too pretty"; the high contrast in the colors make the characters look almost like painted plastic dolls. It's kind of distracting.

The CGI in the transformation scene wasn't very good either, if you want to charitable.

I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly enough, but for now I feel like watching the old show would be a better fit for me. Even if what I saw of the show terrified me as a little girl.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly enough, but for now I feel like watching the old show would be a better fit for me. Even if what I saw of the show terrified me as a little girl.

Just in case you didn't know they've been releasing a brand new subbed version on Hulu a couple of episodes a week. There's a new DVD/Bluray version of the entire thing (new dub and all) coming this fall too.

http://www.hulu.com/sailor-moon

The original has a looooot of filler, some of it is very fun filler, but holy crap it's 8 episodes before there's even a second sailor scout.

I like Crystal so far, it definitely has some issues, but so does the first series and even the manga as well and I love those so we'll see how it turns out.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Just in case you didn't know they've been releasing a brand new subbed version on Hulu a couple of episodes a week. There's a new DVD/Bluray version of the entire thing (new dub and all) coming this fall too.

http://www.hulu.com/sailor-moon

The original has a looooot of filler, some of it is very fun filler, but holy crap it's 8 episodes before there's even a second sailor scout.

I like Crystal so far, it definitely has some issues, but so does the first series and even the manga as well and I love those so we'll see how it turns out.

Yeah, that's where I watched the first episode actually. I held off on watching the rest to see how Crystal panned out, but their first episodes were basically one to one. I heard that there was some guide to watching the show that labeled or cut out the filler. Is that still around or did it vanish into the ether?

e: Some googling turned up this, but none of the descriptions really help in telling me what's actually important as a total newcomer.

VVV Thank you!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 6, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, that's where I watched the first episode actually. I held off on watching the rest to see how Crystal panned out, but their first episodes were basically one to one. I heard that there was some guide to watching the show that labeled or cut out the filler. Is that still around or did it vanish into the ether?

e: Some googling turned up this, but none of the descriptions really help in telling me what's actually important as a total newcomer.

I have an archive of the original(?) in my bookmarks, dunno if anyone has re-hosted it somewhere else.
http://archive.today/9WvI8

Edit: oh it's mostly the same, the archived one seems slightly easier to parse.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 6, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Aldnoah Zero definitely giving off a Gundam vibe, in a good way. If nothing else, it has some of the most ridiculous, over the top musical cues in an anime that I've seen in quite a while. :allears:

SAO 2 was pretty much what I expected from the first episode, hopefully we get more of the action from the ED going on in the next one though.

Sailor Moon's opening was 90s anime as gently caress. Great first ep too! Only minor complaint is the lack of wacky facefaults you'd get in the original show, or Utena. That hella shoujo moment when Usagi met Mamoru was great though, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone's mentioned this, but Crunchyroll has announced that they will be broadcasting Akame ga Kill, Blue Spring Ride, DRAMAtical Murder, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, and the new Persona anime. I have no idea if they're simulcasts or not but it doesn't look like they're delayed by any substantial amount of time.

• Locked thread