Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The problem with a sideways move is that orks are already very uncompetitive, and they really needed a buff.

I haven't seen the ghaz book, and I don't know what data slates are, but I'm feeling nervous after putting a few lists together. Sure I've got a decent number of bodies on the field (95 infantry models and 8 vehicles in 1750), but they're all quite fragile and will be extremely susceptible to morale.

Without heavy armor, my nobs are gonna get taken apart in challenges before they can even swing. This is depressing to me.

And my heavy support slots are hosed, unless I can pull off some weird shenanigans with dedicated transports.

Edit: but we'll see. I still don't have the 7ed book because they aren't selling it by itself [gw worst company], so my understanding of certain rules is still flawed and incomplete. I'm excited to have kombi skorchas on my infantry squads, certainly!

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

Without heavy armor, my nobs are gonna get taken apart in challenges before they can even swing. This is depressing to me.

The odds of a non-HQ character taking out a nob before the nob can swing are pretty low in the first place. A Marine has 3 attacks needing 4s and 4s... Any other melee HQ character worth his salt is going to take out a nob 4+ save or not.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have details on the Ghazkull code formations? I thought I read that there was an update to the dread mob in it?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

TKIY posted:

Does anyone have details on the Ghazkull code formations? I thought I read that there was an update to the dread mob in it?

Dread Mob:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TKIY posted:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Welp, that's why Kans got a strength nerf, to keep the pay-only formation from becoming really-really too powerful. Really stickin' it to those not in the :homebrew: crowd.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why would you use terms like 'pay-only' to describe anything in this game if you're not going to use it to describe everything

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

why would you use terms like 'pay-only' to describe anything in this game if you're not going to use it to describe everything

Can't quote this enough.

Warhammer 40pay2win.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ignite Memories posted:

The problem with a sideways move is that orks are already very uncompetitive, and they really needed a buff.

I haven't seen the ghaz book, and I don't know what data slates are, but I'm feeling nervous after putting a few lists together. Sure I've got a decent number of bodies on the field (95 infantry models and 8 vehicles in 1750), but they're all quite fragile and will be extremely susceptible to morale.

And my heavy support slots are hosed, unless I can pull off some weird shenanigans with dedicated transports.

Edit: but we'll see. I still don't have the 7ed book because they aren't selling it by itself [gw worst company], so my understanding of certain rules is still flawed and incomplete. I'm excited to have kombi skorchas on my infantry squads, certainly!

Shoot me an email at monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com. I have a gift for you.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Post 9-11 User posted:

Welp, that's why Kans got a strength nerf, to keep the pay-only formation from becoming really-really too powerful. Really stickin' it to those not in the :homebrew: crowd.

Kans are still not really worth the points cost so this doesn't fix their problems any.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Daedleh posted:

No-one's saying they're useless, just that they didn't need toning down. They were only heavily used because they were the last units that Orks had which could stand up to more recent army lists. They were far from overpowered.

Yeah but with the exception of Shoota Boyz, all of those units got better or stayed the same. There certainly were units that got worse (like the Battlewagon), but it was hardly some universal "everything good is bad and everything new is good" rule.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If you actually took time to correlate high dollar-cost units with their efficacy you'd be a loving idiot but you'd also realize pretty quickly there's not a whole lot of correlation between paying a lot of money and having good units in your army (I bought Bullgryns)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Nobz are worse now in Boyz squads, the boss-pole simply lets you re-roll on the mob-rule table. That is a big nerf. The PK is expensive and on a two wound 6+ body. I will take a PK nob only if I'm going to put a Mek in the squad and I want it to eat a challenge for a turn.

Heavy Support is the problem now that Lootas are no longer elite. Wagons are going to be at an increasing premium if you need to mech up. You can take BW with Mega-Nobz and hide trukks behind them for a turn or two.

Those two 5-boy units of Lootas are now a waste of a HS slot.

I am not a fan of the change to Boyz, Boss-poles don't let you reroll the moral test so I think that the poles are no longer auto-includes.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anybody know what the Imperial Guard formations are like?

I have 9 Leaman Russes that would love a formation!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The only formation we know anything about has 7 Russes and a Hydra, so be happy!

Raphus C posted:

Heavy Support is the problem now that Lootas are no longer elite. Wagons are going to be at an increasing premium if you need to mech up. You can take BW with Mega-Nobz and hide trukks behind them for a turn or two.

Take the formation with 5 Wagons and get plenty of HS slots and a free Scout move!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Apparently a number of those well painted 30k armies you see online are from a single network of warhams. They got together and played some games, resulting in amazing pictures. Pretty awesome to see all these beautiful armies in a single place:

For more photos:
http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/06/old-line-massacre-armies.html
http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/06/old-line-massacre-tournament.html
http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/06/old-line-massacre-apocalypse.html

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Take the formation with 5 Wagons and get plenty of HS slots and a free Scout move!

Yeah, it is time to stop trying to keep my hams pure. I feel like a pensioner being confronted with the internet for the first time. I haven't got a copy of 7th and have no idea what is going on with all these formations. They are just different Force Orgs with requirements right?

BULBASAUR posted:

Apparently a number of those well painted 30k armies you see online are from a single network of warhams. They got together and played some games, resulting in amazing pictures. Pretty awesome to see all these beautiful armies in a single place:

These folks don't "play" the game, they just push models around with gloved hands admiring the paint jobs. Imagine turning up to play against them with bare plastic.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think they pretty clearly play the game, unless gw has become so evolved that playing the game is just complaining on the internet about the rules

it would certainly be better balanced

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 6, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Raphus C posted:

Imagine turning up to play against them with bare plastic.

I think you would end up outside, battered and bruised in a dumpster if you tried this.

You may or may not wake up with the word POOR scrolled across your forehead too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Raphus C posted:

These folks don't "play" the game, they just push models around with gloved hands admiring the paint jobs. Imagine turning up to play against them with bare plastic.

What does this mean? You don't think they actually roll dice and resolve combat and stuff? Or are you just saying they don't min-max like a tournament player would?

Either way, :stare: at putting that much effort into your army and not basing your jetbikes.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JerryLee posted:

Either way, :stare: at putting that much effort into your army and not basing your jetbikes.

Might have been done by one of those weird types that prefer empty bases. Can't see if the other EC marines are based or not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lungboy posted:

Might have been done by one of those weird types that prefer empty bases. Can't see if the other EC marines are based or not.

They are, at least the Phonecians are completely. The post mentions that the army isn't 100% done.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Edit: wrong thread

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They are, at least the Phonecians are completely. The post mentions that the army isn't 100% done.

I wish my army wasn't completely done like that guys.

Germ
May 7, 2013

The drapery and painting on that tank is amazing. Also, I've never seen more than 1 dickbike in one place at a time. Intimidating!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

What does this mean? You don't think they actually roll dice and resolve combat and stuff? Or are you just saying they don't min-max like a tournament player would?

If I had armies painted to that standard I would not risk their paint jobs by playing with them. I have my table-top stuff and I don't much care when I pick them up and drop a few but those models look like hours and hours worth of work.

This hobby is all about making cool models and then throwing paint on them. My army is 95% done and nothing beats seeing an all painted army. Its just a shame that when I play (about once a year) I do so on tables with unpainted terrain and against unpainted models.

Germ posted:

The drapery and painting on that tank is amazing. Also, I've never seen more than 1 dickbike in one place at a time. Intimidating!

Dick bikes with a dick tank. There is a theme there.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Raphus C posted:

I would show up with unpainted, unprimed, misassembled models from third-party retailers. I would have legs in arm sockets and hands cradling heads in firing positions. I would have tanks with treads upside down and turrets that weren't even in the slot. My boltguns would be backwards and my lascannons upside-down. My army would be a dazzling rainbow of mechanical incompetence and I would use it to utterly, utterly crush their beautifully-painted fluff armies. My grey tide of incompetent buffoons would roll them up before me and leave pretty ashes in their wake.

I would be 2nd Legion and my presence in the game would be so embarrassing the group would never speak of me or even admit my existence.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
People say that a unit's price cost and usefulness aren't necessarily correlated because there are expensive models that are rubbish. What are some examples of super useful models (the must-takes of a codex) that are really quite cheap (for GW)?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Depending on what's cheap, Fire Warriors, Wave Serpents are pretty cheap for a vehicle kit, pretty much any 10-man SW squad can be made for under 40 bucks. I can actually look more into it later but that's off the top of my head.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Chaos terminator lord kit is probably up there. For $25 you get enough bits to make 2 HQs that will probably cost 100-200 points each.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

Does anybody know what the Imperial Guard formations are like?

I have 9 Leaman Russes that would love a formation!

Actually, I lied! I just read this week's White Dwarf and there's the formation that's perfect for you!

The Steel Host

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Actually, I lied! I just read this week's White Dwarf and there's the formation that's perfect for you!

The Steel Host

How does this work exactly with Blast/L. Blast weapons? Do you just count those guns as completely Twin-Linked? P.158 states how you resolve the ability to re-roll To Hit with "blast" weapons but PE is a re-roll with stipulations. I'm not complaining either way but I feel like they should have taken 20 seconds to specify how PE and Blast weapons interact in the Rulebook. Even without a re-roll To-Hit, being able to re-roll To-Wounds of 1 is pretty strong for LRs considering their weapon strength.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 6, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
PE re-rolls TH/TWs of 1 and Blast weapons don't roll To Hit.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

The Chaos terminator lord kit is probably up there. For $25 you get enough bits to make 2 HQs that will probably cost 100-200 points each.

But are people taking the Terminator Lord in lists, or are the best lists taking Daemon Princes / Sorcerers instead. I'm interested in the must-take units like Wave Serpents.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Blasts only need the possibility of a reroll to be rerolled, so it's not quite as cut and dry. It's a big dumb question that I really hoped 7th would solve. There's no good answer and it's best to leave it at that. There's ten page threads on Dakka if you want to read more.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know, I think it's pretty clear. Preferred Enemy doesn't confer re-rolls, it confers re-rolls on rolls of 1. This can't happen if you don't roll To Hit.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

PE re-rolls TH/TWs of 1 and Blast weapons don't roll To Hit.

I cited the page that states how re-roll To-Hit and Blast weapons interact.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Blasts only need the possibility of a reroll to be rerolled, so it's not quite as cut and dry. It's a big dumb question that I really hoped 7th would solve. There's no good answer and it's best to leave it at that. There's ten page threads on Dakka if you want to read more.

Yeah it's not a super huge issue to me although the lack of clarification is annoying and also par for the course; I think my group just plays it as a complete re-roll. It's just one of those issues that can change a cool effect to something incredibly powerful based on how you play it.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 6, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Pacheeco posted:

I cited the page that states how re-roll To-Hit and Blast weapons interact.

I know, but the stipulation to allow the re-roll never occurs.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Here's the stupid Dakka thread you all meant to post in:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/599910.page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah the whole Preferred Enemy reroll blasts thing is the dumbest loving argument in the world and has been going on for literally 3 years on DAKKA. Don't get dragged into the madness.

I think that and the monthly I can totally take two Coteaz threads are my two favorite things that continue on and on.

In other news I've yet to lose with my Daemon Bomb/Summoning army and am starting to think it may be a bit much. It's kind of boss and I look forward to seeing Bay Area Open and Nova results if someone takes a serious army there.

I still have a ways to go with building it since my friends all let me proxy Necrons and poo poo for the Daemons. ( Even though flayed ones are boss daemons).

• Locked thread