Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

R. Mute posted:

oh i thought we were using the colloquial use of corporate personhood where it doesn't just mean 'a corporation is more than just a collection of people' but has connotations involving civil rights and and getting involved in the voting process and all that

is that what you're doing? getting really anal about legal semantics? i honestly don't know. it could be.

Corporations have limited civil rights all over Europe as well as America, and they're only involved in the voting process in the City of London.

I'm just telling people to stop believing it's worthwhile to do anything based on vague notions of what established legal and economic terms are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

agreed and unironically only a revolution will solve the problems that the western capitalist world faces. death to capitalism

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, you do not understand the concept because you immediately posted the next paragraph.

People are people. Corporations are only legal people. Corporations do not have full equal protection under the 14th amendment, they do not have full any rights.

Every other country on earth that has corporations at all has corporations as persons, because that is literally the concept of a corporation.

Every country on earth used to be a monarchy or theocracy. We were totally in the wrong for rocking the boat on that one too.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Lotta people getting fishmech'd really hard.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

size1one posted:

Every country on earth used to be a monarchy or theocracy. We were totally in the wrong for rocking the boat on that one too.

So you love sole proprietorships and the inability of governments to participate in contracts or what? There's literally nothing to gain from some shitbrained attempt to "end corporate personhood" anymore than there was anything to gain from donating to the KONY 2012 people.

R. Mute posted:

agreed and unironically only a revolution will solve the problems that the western capitalist world faces. death to capitalism

same and agreed.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you love sole proprietorships and the inability of governments to participate in contracts or what? There's literally nothing to gain from some shitbrained attempt to "end corporate personhood" anymore than there was anything to gain from donating to the KONY 2012 people.

I never argued we shouldn't have corporations. In fact, I explicitly stated that corporations are needed. My point has been and still is that there is more than one way to convey rights and legal protections to corporations.

But then you're probably just trolling me what with the false dichotomy, ad hominem, and strawmen. I should know better than to actively engage you.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Fishmech is actually 100% correct.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'd rather go to fully publicly financed elections than try and split hairs over the definition of corporate personhood with respect to the law - you just know some smartasses will find a way around the latter anyhow.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Something something fringe loonies something something con artists stealing mah tax dollars something something Nader.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Can some people help me better understand the concept of corporate personhood? What rights does a corporation enjoy that is separate from the rights an individual has under American law? Is it just to allow corporations to do business in the way an individual would or is there more to it than just that?

This is what I'm using to try and understand the issue better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

but I'm sure there are better sources.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm pretty confident that a possible corporate personhood amendment (as a response to Citizens United) would be a little more complicated than "corps aren't people, lol". But who knows???

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

N. Senada posted:

Can some people help me better understand the concept of corporate personhood? What rights does a corporation enjoy that is separate from the rights an individual has under American law? Is it just to allow corporations to do business in the way an individual would or is there more to it than just that?

This is what I'm using to try and understand the issue better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

The wikipedia article actually looks like a good place to start-outside of a law school, you're not going to find anything resembling an unbiased account of the issue, which is obviously very complicated and politically fraught.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Wikipedia posted:

Corporate personhood is an American legal concept that a corporation may be recognized as an individual in the eyes of the law.

JOHN SULLIVAN, a person, can make business transactions with DYMAXION MATTRESS CO. a corporation.

That's it.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
One of you wads suggested not snubbing Evan Williams in a prior US Pol thread. Thank you, whoever you are.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Corporations have limited civil rights all over Europe as well as America, and they're only involved in the voting process in the City of London.

I'm just telling people to stop believing it's worthwhile to do anything based on vague notions of what established legal and economic terms are.
It would probably be less of a reflexive vague anger for people if we used legal/juristic/artificial person as the descriptor. People hear "corporate personhood" and they think "a corporation being treated as equivalent to a person", whereas international descriptors are pretty unambiguous about it being beneath natural personhood.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xenocidebot posted:

One of you wads suggested not snubbing Evan Williams in a prior US Pol thread. Thank you, whoever you are.
Evan Williams is genuinely good, and I'm not even a big cheap bourbon fan. Amazing for an Old Fashioned or Whiskey Sour.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

N. Senada posted:

Corporate personhood is a legal concept that allows a piece of paper to be treated as a legal person to make it easier to conduct business. This means the corporation can sue, be sued, hold property, have debts, and have an obligation to pay taxes (lol). It also shields the people who own the corporation (stockholders) from liability. This is why the bank can't repossess your car because the tech startup you bought stock in went under. Corporate personhood is essentially a legal wall seperating a business's activities from the owners and the people conducting those activities (to a certain extent). As opposed to, say, a sole proprietorship, which is, as far as government is concerned, just you going out there and doing stuff.

That's about all I got.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

R. Mute posted:

is that what you're doing? getting really anal about legal semantics?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

38 and 40 are the same person.

Breakfast All Day posted:

Lotta people getting fishmech'd really hard.

paragon1 posted:

Corporate personhood is a legal concept that allows a piece of paper to be treated as a legal person to make it easier to conduct business. This means the corporation can sue, be sued, hold property, have debts, and have an obligation to pay taxes (lol). It also shields the people who own the corporation (stockholders) from liability. This is why the bank can't repossess your car because the tech startup you bought stock in went under. Corporate personhood is essentially a legal wall
There is no need to apply "personhood" to preserve those legal artifacts.

"Free Speech", "Money=Speech", "Freedom to exert 'religious' beliefs", etc... do not need to be applied to the piece of paper so that the humans hiding behind it can act like monsters.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I never said it did? I was explaining how corporations as a concept work, not justifying bad behavior and bad Supreme Court decisions, for fucks sake.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 5, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

paragon1 posted:

I never said it did? I was explaining how corporations as a concept work, not justifying bad behavior, for fucks sake.
I was just following your points with the explicit: "we can keep those and still get rid of the bullshit".

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

FRINGE posted:

"Free Speech", "Money=Speech", "Freedom to exert 'religious' beliefs", etc... do not need to be applied to the piece of paper so that the humans hiding behind it can act like monsters.

Congrats on agreeing with segregationists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_for_the_Advancement_of_Colored_People_v._Alabama
And their cronies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Co._v._Sullivan
And Nixon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Co._v._United_States

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Oh look the pro-corporatist has reasons why things cant change, and further if you want them to change youre a racist!

Lol.

Irony-points for using racism and corporate power to defend ... racism and coprorate power.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Corporate personhood is the reason the NYT could be sued at all, if your looking for more examples of how personhood works.

Question: How long before we get some company suing the government for the corporate tax rate being discriminatory?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

FRINGE posted:

Oh look the pro-corporatist has reasons why things cant change, and further if you want them to change youre a racist!

Lol.

Irony-points for using racism and corporate power to defend ... racism and coprorate power.

Here's another filthy racist that agrees with me :)
https://secure.huffingtonpost.com/ira-glasser/understanding-the-emcitiz_b_447342.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:rip: rip d&d chat thread, killed by the exact same posting as the gun thread :rip:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:rip: rip d&d chat thread, killed by the exact same posting as the gun thread :rip:

At some point, you would begin thinking the fault is in the people posting, not the subjects.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I was reading the US politics thread, which every so often has the discussion over high school history. But, I figured this thread was better to post in for this.

I went to high school in the south and I remember (to my teacher's credit) the history of the civil war was presented as bad thing the south did over slavery.

But, my question has more to do with the period between the civil war and WWI.

The main thing we got from the inter-war period was nothing much happened, but a few great men made some companies and then we had a big war in Europe.

Is this normal in a lot of high schools? I am wondering because it just glosses over all labor disputes of the period.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If everyone starts posting about burgers again everything will be just fine.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Deadulus posted:

Is this normal in a lot of high schools? I am wondering because it just glosses over all labor disputes of the period.

Yes, that's the memory hole. Concealing the history of labor is the biggest conspiracy in America.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I can't comment much about high school US history since I took APUSH (thankfully the textbook and my teacher actually expounded on the Chicago Strike and Pinkerton et al, although we never went into the West Virginia Coal Wars), but good lord did my 8th grade US history teacher spend literally 3/4 of the year masturbating about the constitution and how the North was just as bad as the South.

I'll never forget Vanderbilt's "The public be damned".

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 6, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Deadulus posted:

I was reading the US politics thread, which every so often has the discussion over high school history. But, I figured this thread was better to post in for this.

I went to high school in the south and I remember (to my teacher's credit) the history of the civil war was presented as bad thing the south did over slavery.

The main thing we got from the inter-war period was nothing much happened, but a few great men made some companies and then we had a big war in Europe.

I would say yes but the teacher I got in high school for post ACW US History was lf as gently caress and literally based the class around zinn's a peoples history and killing hope

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

If everyone starts posting about burgers again everything will be just fine.

I prefer to use 80/20 or 85/15 for my burgers because 73/27 shrinks too much when you cook them + making a bunch of hamburgers with that fatty rear end poo poo leaves you with a bunch of beef fat on your hands and that is pretty gross IMO

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Yes, that's the memory hole. Concealing the history of labor is the biggest conspiracy in America.

Yeah, this is what I was mainly trying to figure out. Where I am, if I ask someone about this period, no body knows anything about it. I had a huge knowledge gap about this period, until took the time to read about it.

This is an issue all over America and not just the South, I take it?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Deadulus posted:

Educated in the south also and it was the same. Only things discussed between "The War between the States" and WW1 were some colonial-focused westward expansion events and the Spanish-American War (but of course not the Philippines).

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Deadulus posted:

Yeah, this is what I was mainly trying to figure out. Where I am, if I ask someone about this period, no body knows anything about it. I had a huge knowledge gap about this period, until took the time to read about it.

This is an issue all over America and not just the South, I take it?

All over. Places like Kansas, which are now huge republican strongholds, used to be the beating heart of America's left-wing populist movements. I don't really know what happened. I was recommended a book about this once. Uh... what's the matter with kansas? I think?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Our, only assignment about the period was to be given a biography of an industrialist and write a report.

I had J. P. Morgan. I don't remember what I wrote, but I am sure it is hilarious, if I can find it.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 6, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadulus posted:

People's History of the United States should be mandatory or recommended in high school. The labor movement, the guilded age, Emma Goldman and Eugene Debs, the fact that kids don't grow up with this stuff doesn't seem like a mistake, but an utter calculation.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Personally when I read that the reason Oklahoma only allows Democrats and Republicans on the ballot is due to the strength of left-wing third parties in the early 20th century, I had trouble believing it.

I guess states that had strong populist streaks have been co-opted by right-wing populism nowadays, or something?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Deadulus posted:

Our, only assignment about the period was to be given a biography of an industrialist and write a report.

I had J. P. Morgan. I don't remember what I wrote, but I am sure it is hilarious if I can find it.

Did you write about the time when he held the world economy hostage (during the Panic of 1907) in order to acquire TC&I for US Steel? Or when the Pujo Committee found out that Morgan effectively held control of the vast majority of the market through interlocking directorates? Good times.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

ThirdPartyView posted:

Did you write about the time when he held the world economy hostage (during the Panic of 1907) in order to acquire TC&I for US Steel? Or when the Pujo Committee found out that Morgan effectively held control of the vast majority of the market through interlocking directorates? Good times.

No, I am pretty sure the younger me glossed over all that and wrote, solely, about his philanthropy and schools he helped set up.

For that, I am deeply sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Personally when I read that the reason Oklahoma only allows Democrats and Republicans on the ballot is due to the strength of left-wing third parties in the early 20th century, I had trouble believing it.

I guess states that had strong populist streaks have been co-opted by right-wing populism nowadays, or something?

Depends on where you're talking about. Places like Minnesota and New York do have a tradition of populist progressive parties, but what you tend to see is a co-option of them by "left-wing" stalwarts like the Democratic party. coughfuckyouAndrewCuomocough.

• Locked thread