Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also, does anybody have any experience with teaching aviation-related classes in a college setting (CC, 4-year, whatever)? I've got a couple opportunities there as a side gig and want to know if it's as enjoyable as I think it could be or if I should turn and run.

I taught some college classes for 4 semesters before I got tired of it. First semester was for people working on getting their private pilot certificate. I thought that was pretty boring and was happy to switch to teaching an instrument ground school for the next 3 semesters. For the most part I enjoyed it, and it was nice getting another paycheck every week. It was the bad students that made me get tired of it, though. They took up a lot of my time outside of class and were always a headache. This was at a 141 school that accepted students using the GI Bill though, so we got a lot of people who didn't really care about all the work it took to become a pilot. They just thought flying around was fun and never put in any effort.

I had a good time doing some advanced pinnacle landings today. Always happy to have OGE performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That is the most baddassest thing I have seen here in a while

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Animal posted:

That is the most baddassest thing I have seen here in a while

Indeed. Not quite as badass as what his coworker(s) did though:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

God I wish I would have been able to afford being a helo pilot. It would have been a riot down in the Caribbean.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

xaarman posted:

So what's the demand for Global Express 6000/7000 pilots these days?

If you're typed with a few hundred hours in it - great. $150,000-225,000 depending on region. No 7000's in service until 2016, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CraZy GrinGo posted:

I taught some college classes for 4 semesters before I got tired of it. First semester was for people working on getting their private pilot certificate. I thought that was pretty boring and was happy to switch to teaching an instrument ground school for the next 3 semesters. For the most part I enjoyed it, and it was nice getting another paycheck every week. It was the bad students that made me get tired of it, though. They took up a lot of my time outside of class and were always a headache. This was at a 141 school that accepted students using the GI Bill though, so we got a lot of people who didn't really care about all the work it took to become a pilot. They just thought flying around was fun and never put in any effort.

I had a good time doing some advanced pinnacle landings today. Always happy to have OGE performance.

Thanks. I figured there weren't too many dipshit students in that environment based upon the people I was around when I got my degrees (hardworking, all wanted to be there and determined to do well, no slackers, no egos), but it looks like a YMMV type thing.

And I used to play Grand Theft Auto games in the hopes of flying helicopters to remote, treacherous spots that a helicopter had no business landing on. You...you did that with a real helicopter. :vince:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CraZy GrinGo posted:

That's amazing. :stare:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

ausgezeichnet posted:

If you're typed with a few hundred hours in it - great. $150,000-225,000 depending on region. No 7000's in service until 2016, though.

Got any more details? From who, and what region? Potentially looking at a job that would get me that type and about 650 hours in it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So there's speculation that the 777 cockpit doors are not such a great security idea after all:

quote:

Anyone with the necessary systems knowledge of 777s who wanted to interfere with the power supply or other electronic systems on the airliner would not be inhibited by the easy to bypass locked cockpit door.

Silly as it may have been, the Air NZ incident reminds us that there is a hole in the 777 cockpit security arrangements, and while it was exploited by its own crew on this occasion, it could, might, maybe, have been exploited with evil intent on MH370.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

xaarman posted:

Got any more details? From who, and what region? Potentially looking at a job that would get me that type and about 650 hours in it.

That's just general data for PIC positions - subtract about $50k for SIC. Global jobs in the Chicago area are paying around 150k, the NE about 175k and in LA/SF close to 200 (CoL adjustment). Pt 91 positions pay more for some reason, but 135 is still good if you get with an outfit that takes fatigue and quality of life for it's pilots seriously.

That sounds like a good opportunity, especially if you can get PIC time in the aircraft. If you want to move on with 650 hours in the aircraft, register with Jet Professionals and EJM, gently caress bitches and get paid. Contract work can definitely not suck, too. The rarer your rating and the fewer qualified pilot there are, the more you get paid. 7X contractors can pull $1500-1700 per day since there aren't many unemployed 7X pilots around. Unfortunately, my company won't allow me to do outside contracting, but by the time I'm ready to soft-retire I'll have types in the 7X and G650 to help pay for rehab.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Here's a video from earlier today. Taking off after landing in a tight spot in a forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWVN3ZdgC8

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

ausgezeichnet posted:

That's just general data for PIC positions - subtract about $50k for SIC. Global jobs in the Chicago area are paying around 150k, the NE about 175k and in LA/SF close to 200 (CoL adjustment). Pt 91 positions pay more for some reason, but 135 is still good if you get with an outfit that takes fatigue and quality of life for it's pilots seriously.

That sounds like a good opportunity, especially if you can get PIC time in the aircraft. If you want to move on with 650 hours in the aircraft, register with Jet Professionals and EJM, gently caress bitches and get paid. Contract work can definitely not suck, too. The rarer your rating and the fewer qualified pilot there are, the more you get paid. 7X contractors can pull $1500-1700 per day since there aren't many unemployed 7X pilots around. Unfortunately, my company won't allow me to do outside contracting, but by the time I'm ready to soft-retire I'll have types in the 7X and G650 to help pay for rehab.

Sweet... I need to find out if the 650 hours would be PIC or SIC.

On a semi related note, just signed up for the ATP written, time to get studying.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So this seems like a bad thing...

According to CNN, the Aerolineas Argentinas flight had permission to cross the runway, and the UTair flight landing had received permission to land, but wisely opted to go around instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5THRSp4hM

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Why was the UTair plane like Caesar?

Because it was Roman' around in TOGA

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

So this seems like a bad thing...

According to CNN, the Aerolineas Argentinas flight had permission to cross the runway, and the UTair flight landing had received permission to land, but wisely opted to go around instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5THRSp4hM

A couple of different possibilities here, and I don't know if we'll ever get a more detailed account of it from Spain's aeronautical authority:

1) Everything was going to be fine, but it was close and the arriving air crew elected to go around (telescopic lens distortion might make this look a lot closer than it really was.)

2) The taxiing aircraft was told to hold short of the active runway but didn't. If they acknowledged the instruction it's the crew's fault, if they didn't it's ATC's fault.

3) The taxiing aircraft was told to cross the runway and the arrival was too close for it to work. ATC at fault. Maybe they thought the crossing aircraft would be faster, maybe they forgot about the arrival aircraft. Who knows.

In the US anyway, a crossing aircraft must have all parts of its airframe past the runway edge (the solid white line) before an arrival crosses the runway threshold or a departure begins takeoff roll. This can allow for aircraft to come quite close while still remaining legal. Due to the concept of anticipating separation, this can also mean that more than one aircraft are verbally cleared onto the runway surface at the same time, with the expectation that one or the other will be clear before separation is lost. Though pilot or controller error is definitely a possibility here, it could also be a case of a really tight squeeze becoming too close for comfort/legality.

A saying I was taught during the ATC academy at Oklahoma City was, "It was looking good. Until it started looking bad."

simplefish posted:

Why was the UTair plane like Caesar?

Because it was Roman' around in TOGA

:golfclap:

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 8, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The ARG flight was transiting RWY 02 on either M5 or N5, I'm going to guess TWY M5 because you can see in the foreground at 0:32 another taxiway running parallel to the direction of the ARG flight.

M5 is just short of halfway down the runway, so 4000ft?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I know there has to be at least one of you neckbeards at hillsboro aviation.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

invision posted:

I know there has to be at least one of you neckbeards at hillsboro aviation.

Near Portland? I think one of my students ended up there. Former Navy guy, played around with reactors on subs or carriers or something along those lines. Probably the best student I ever had. His beard was too full to be called a neck beard. His name was either Scott Martin or Martin Scott or something along those lines. I had 4 students with Scott or Martin in their names that semester.

I went to the Rose Festival Airshow at Hillsboro when I was a kid. Probably one of the main reasons I got into flying.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Did a short XC today in a Flight Design.

Flew KCOS>KLIC>KFLY>KCOS

My chariot for the day.

Junkyard outside of Calhan with the old Rock Island railroad bed in the background.

Windmill farm outside of Limon.

Train cars parked outside of Limon with an old alignment of US40 from before I70 was built.

Cows.

Pikes Peak

Bridge that was built in the 1940s.

Cherry Creek dam that burst in the 1930's and flooded Denver.

Castle Rock

Santa Fe train bridge outside of Larkspur

Bald Mountain

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I get to fly in canada this week for the first time.

Party!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Whereabouts you flying into? No real big differences flying up here except some minor radio differences. If your in the eastern part of the country you may hear some French on the radio which may weird you out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The regional airline industry just declared war on the ATP Law:

http://takeflighttomorrow.org/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Outstanding. :worship:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Considering I'm hitting 500 hours this week: oh snap!

I knew it was a matter of time.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh no we won't be able to find enough pilots to fly for peanuts.

I'm confused, do you guys think that lowering the mins back down is a good thing or am I misreading sarcasm?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SCOTLAND posted:

Oh no we won't be able to find enough pilots to fly for peanuts.

I'm confused, do you guys think that lowering the mins back down is a good thing or am I misreading sarcasm?

I just posted the link because I saw it and didn't know if anybody else posting in this thread knew about it.

It's the worst kind of double-edged sword, really. I still think 500-750 is where it should be because 1500 still feels arbitrary, but somebody (current or future pilots) loses no matter which way it goes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 8, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well at least they don't seem to be arguing for legalizing cadet programs.

Yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just posted the link because I saw it and didn't know if anybody else posting in this thread knew about it.

It's the worst kind of double-edged sword, really. I still think 500-750 is where it should be because 1500 still feels arbitrary, but somebody (current or future pilots) loses no matter which way it goes.

All of these things, with the addition that the political-carveouts for graduates of certain schools are nothing but terrible.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

All of these things, with the addition that the political-carveouts for graduates of certain schools are nothing but terrible.

There's a lot hosed about the 1500 hour rule, but one "decent" (using that term loosely, as I feel dirty sticking up for the government) thing about the carveouts is that they're at least letting anybody that's 141 have a chance to apply for certification. The community college I attended (before transferring to ERAU-WW) and trained with (after our pilot mill bailed) is in the final stages of being approved. Still, mom-and-pop 61 schools, which it used to be perfectly fine and dandy to train with while saving money, get the shaft, along with the people who got Instrument and/or Commercial there.

When I first heard they were going to do it, I figured it would be limited to those whose lobbyists cuddled up enough to their respective representatives/senators.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

It gets those programs, what, a 250-hour reprieve? How many hours do you typically graduate from a 4-year degree program with? I'm more confused about the military pilot 750-hour reprieve.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fordan posted:

It gets those programs, what, a 250-hour reprieve? How many hours do you typically graduate from a 4-year degree program with? I'm more confused about the military pilot 750-hour reprieve.

Associate's from an approved school- 1250TT (250 credit)
Bachelor's from an approved school- 1000TT (500 credit)

Instrument AND Commercial training must be completed at the flight training program associated with the college, with no grandfathering. So, in my case (Private 141, Instrument 61), I would be screwed.

On a related note, a friend of mine that commissioned in the Air Force said there's no way in hell you fly in the USAF and only get out with 750 hours.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

On a related note, a friend of mine that commissioned in the Air Force said there's no way in hell you fly in the USAF and only get out with 750 hours.

I suppose you could get hurt.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Well at least they don't seem to be arguing for legalizing cadet programs.

Yet.

That's the next step.

Multi-crew licenses (which restrict the holder to only working for one specific carrier, but can be gained in about 250 hours) are already pretty common in Asia, and are allowed in Europe and Canada, so I'd expect the RAA to start lobbying for the FAA to sign off on them under the guise of "ICAO standardization" at some point in the future.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

1250hrs for an associates program, 1000hrs for a bachelors program, 750hrs if you were military trained and qualified. Part 61 schools get hosed raw.

Indentured Goon
Dec 6, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Unless you get sent to Creech for a "three year tour" from an airframe being phased out, that you didn't have the opportunity to upgrade in. Then subsequently get selected for the 2015 Officer Reduction in Force Board. Under those circumstances, it's totally possible to get out with well under 750 hours.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Weren't Mil pilots flying the OH-58 / Kiowa Warrior airframes getting completely screwed after they got out and the FAA wasn't counting all of those flight hours because ... reasons? I thought I had heard of something like that back a couple years ago.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Well hopefully tilt rotor aircraft catch on because I really don't know where the hours I'm going to accumulate in the V-22 are going to be good in other than...the V-22.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
You just need to land :rimshot: an AW-609 corporate ferry gig when you get out.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 9, 2014

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Well, that guy's sweet helicopter pics convinced me to sign up for a demo ride in an r-22. Seeing as how it's an R-22, I'll probably die a fiery death when it falls out of the sky, but I've never been up in a helo before. I have like an hour in a 172 and an hour in a traumahawk, so I really wanna see what helos are like before I blow big sums of money on airplaning around for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

invision posted:

Well, that guy's sweet helicopter pics convinced me to sign up for a demo ride in an r-22. Seeing as how it's an R-22, I'll probably die a fiery death when it falls out of the sky, but I've never been up in a helo before. I have like an hour in a 172 and an hour in a traumahawk, so I really wanna see what helos are like before I blow big sums of money on airplaning around for fun.

helicopters are hella sweet. I don't know anything about R-22's except don't try to autorotate and the controls are wacky but hovering is the tightest poo poo out there

• Locked thread