Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

neckbeard posted:

every other car had a bigger V6 than the MX-3

1.8L V6 MIVEC fury. I know a guy who somehow still has one, it's a non-mivec and an auto. It's the only car he's ever owned and he has an obsession with keeping it absolutely perfect and refuses to upgrade. He's a 34 year old industrial chemist. I don't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tommychu posted:

The difference between the KLDE and KLZE wasn't particularly huge, 20 or 30 horse IIRC. Significant, but not enough to write the DE off as cruddy. and in North America the Mazdas never had the ZE either so for us the primary difference between Probe and MX6 is looks.

It's more like 35, and if you drive both the difference is quite obvious

Slavvy posted:

1.8L V6 MIVEC fury. I know a guy who somehow still has one, it's a non-mivec and an auto. It's the only car he's ever owned and he has an obsession with keeping it absolutely perfect and refuses to upgrade. He's a 34 year old industrial chemist. I don't know what the gently caress.

The 1.8 was actually only a boring four cylinder - the V6 models were 2l

The early-mid 90s Lancer came with a 1.6 V6 though:

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
I was looking for a cheap(ish), interesting and reliable car in order to replace my current vehicle, an '94 Mitsubishi Sigma with a professionally ruined front window job, first rust spots, an aging automatic transmission and a mystery clunk.
The new old car under consideration has running examples starting in the sub-500€ range, a nice one will set you back about 1500€, a REALLY nice and special one can be had for 3k€ but there are more. The most expensive one was this for a paltry 7990€:

Have a guess at what that once was!

Citröen Xantia [1] [2]

I know what you think! Those cars are supposed to be quite durable and usually inexpensive to fix, even their suspension system!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

It's more like 35, and if you drive both the difference is quite obvious

The 1.8 was actually only a boring four cylinder - the V6 models were 2l

The early-mid 90s Lancer came with a 1.6 V6 though:

poo poo, you're right sorry. Don't know why I thought the v6 was a 1.8. I've seen a couple of 1.6 v6 lancers IRL too, most pointless thing ever. I agree that the horsepower difference in the two mazda engines is substantial; my mate's lantis pseudo-coupe actually felt fast.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tommychu posted:

The difference between the KLDE and KLZE wasn't particularly huge, 20 or 30 horse IIRC. Significant, but not enough to write the DE off as cruddy. and in North America the Mazdas never had the ZE either so for us the primary difference between Probe and MX6 is looks.

Mazda used a lot of Mitsu electrical bits (starter, alternator, most of the sensors and crap) but I'm pretty sure they stopped borrowing Mitsu engines in the early '90s. The ZX2 engine was a kind of pre-MZR.

I've never heard of any Mazdas being based on a Mitsubishi design, unless maybe you're talking about some of the prewar stuff or early 50s. Sure you can find a Mitsubishi logo on the distributor but the manufacturer of that part shares the name with the auto manufacturer only, being actually completely separate companies.

Edit: also you can put the 2.5L KL in an MX-3 no problem.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Have there ever been any decent cars made by a US/foreign merger or collaboration?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CharlesM posted:

I've never heard of any Mazdas being based on a Mitsubishi design, unless maybe you're talking about some of the prewar stuff or early 50s. Sure you can find a Mitsubishi logo on the distributor but the manufacturer of that part shares the name with the auto manufacturer only, being actually completely separate companies.

Edit: also you can put the 2.5L KL in an MX-3 no problem.

The B2600 briefly used a 4G54 before the G6 came out in late '88. There was some shared engineering between the Delica and Bongo, I can't remember how deep that went or any specifics though.
Also you can put the KL in basically any FWD Mazda/Fazda with minimal effort.. There's a guy with a KLZE Ford Festiva.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 6, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

poo poo, you're right sorry. Don't know why I thought the v6 was a 1.8. I've seen a couple of 1.6 v6 lancers IRL too, most pointless thing ever. I agree that the horsepower difference in the two mazda engines is substantial; my mate's lantis pseudo-coupe actually felt fast.

No the 1.8l was definitely a V6. One if the strangest engines I've ever seen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

Pretty sure the Probes only came with the cruddy version of the V6 even in Japan

North American Probes had a crappy OHV V6 initially. I don't think anywhere else in the world got it.

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Straight off the boat from glorious nippon. Proof that the home of rice culture still does it best (worst). Yes, it's a 135i manual, yes it has a lovely aftermarket BOV and, most importantly, all of those panels are attached by screws drilled directly into the sheet-metal.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeesh - who on earth would bother importing that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

revmoo posted:

I always wanted to test drive a V6 probe. I used to have an MX-3 and they're practically the same car but the Probe had a bigger V6.

My dad had a 1992 V6 Probe, automatic. I learned a bit about driving in it.

It didn't seem that powerful to me, and his was also a massive oil burner by 50k (probably because he never changed the oil in it, only tossed a bottle in when the oil light would come on).

I wouldn't mind owning a 96 or 97 though.

Looks like it was a Vulcan V6 on the 1st gen, so you're not missing much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

An ENORMOUS PRICK who runs a -~special fast cars~- dealership selling more performancy euros and overpriced JDM tat. He's fairly confident he'll find a buyer who would happily pay extra for the sick modssss. It has to get low-volume compliance because of the aftermarket suspension, wheel spacers, modified crash structure, modified intake/exhaust and a bunch of other stuff.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The hood on that 135 is the worst. Stop trying to be the E46 GTR, it's not going to work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Have there ever been any decent cars made by a US/foreign merger or collaboration?

Basically, not this:

Chrysler TC by Maserati

sorry

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tommychu posted:

The B2600 briefly used a 4G54 before the G6 came out in late '88. There was some shared engineering between the Delica and Bongo, I can't remember how deep that went or any specifics though.
Also you can put the KL in basically any FWD Mazda/Fazda with minimal effort.. There's a guy with a KLZE Ford Festiva.

I honestly never knew that even though I'm a Mazda nerd. On the other hand I'm really not a truck person and like small cars. I know about the KL though, I considered an auto KL powered 323 might be kinda fun for a daily driver but I don't really have space or spare funds now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Basically Mazda and Mitsubishi (and Nissan) did a model swap with their commercial vehicles - the Bongo got badged as the Mitsubishi Delica and Nissan Vanette and the commercial version of the Nissan Wingroad got badged as a Mazda Familia and Mitsubishi Lancer (not sure what Mitsubishi bought to the table)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

revmoo posted:

I always wanted to test drive a V6 probe. I used to have an MX-3 and they're practically the same car but the Probe had a bigger V6.

The MX-6 is basically the same, the MX-3 is much smaller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey look it's the saddest junk yard find ever

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

8ender posted:

No the 1.8l was definitely a V6. One if the strangest engines I've ever seen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

The post you quoted was talking about the Mitsu FTO, which had a 1.8 I4 and 2.0 V6.

Since we're on the subject though, I've always found the Japanese love of tiny sixes to be fascinating. I didn't know about the Mitsu 1.6L V6 until now, but I did know about the 2.0L. Nissan had its 2.0 straight 6, Mazda the 1.8L in the MX-3, Toyota put a 2.0 six in the IS (though not in North America). That last one is interesting to me because you could also get a 2.0 four banger in that car, and the 4 was the hotter engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 3SGE is an awesome (but terrible sounding) engine with heaps of power. Unfortunately you can only get it in a tubby car that really doesn't suit the peaky delivery.

The straight six in the altezza is a pile of poo poo and you need to remove an engine brace to access the oil filter. It's also gutless, poo poo on gas, has a habit of breaking down and generally sucks a lot compared to a BMW M52 or an RB20-DE.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Importers keep bring in altezzas and pricing them at 5-6kCAD and I get seriously tempted by them. Did they ever even sell 3sgte with BEAMS in NA?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My buddy invited me over to his place for the 7/4 weekend, guess his father had an FJ45 Crew Cab? Didn't know these were such limited production. Guy loves his trucks.

Don't think it's this exact vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVG664L1MA

http://blogs.trucktrend.com/6738661/suvs/classic-toyota-fj45-crew-cab-from-brazil-with-only-6400-miles-offered-for-sale/
Probably this one since it only had XXXX miles

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 7, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Q_res posted:

Since we're on the subject though, I've always found the Japanese love of tiny sixes to be fascinating. I didn't know about the Mitsu 1.6L V6 until now, but I did know about the 2.0L. Nissan had its 2.0 straight 6, Mazda the 1.8L in the MX-3, Toyota put a 2.0 six in the IS (though not in North America). That last one is interesting to me because you could also get a 2.0 four banger in that car, and the 4 was the hotter engine.

BMW got in on the game as well with the 2.0L M50 in the nineties. The 320i seems to have been oddly popular in my part of Canada despite being like a regular straight six 3 series but with all the fun sucked out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Q_res posted:

Since we're on the subject though, I've always found the Japanese love of tiny sixes to be fascinating.

(At least three ways inappropriate for this thread, unless you reread it as terrible carb stuff)

Suicide Watch posted:

My buddy invited me over to his place for the 7/4 weekend, guess his father had an FJ45 Crew Cab? Didn't know these were such limited production. Guy loves his trucks.

Also very much wrong thread

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

The 3SGE is an awesome (but terrible sounding) engine with heaps of power. Unfortunately you can only get it in a tubby car that really doesn't suit the peaky delivery.

The straight six in the altezza is a pile of poo poo and you need to remove an engine brace to access the oil filter. It's also gutless, poo poo on gas, has a habit of breaking down and generally sucks a lot compared to a BMW M52 or an RB20-DE.

The straight six in the Altezza is the 2JZ... also you can get the filter out without removing the brace, I used to do it every day. :v:

Crustashio posted:

Importers keep bring in altezzas and pricing them at 5-6kCAD and I get seriously tempted by them. Did they ever even sell 3sgte with BEAMS in NA?

Yes, the Altezza had it, for one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The straight six in the Altezza is the 2JZ... also you can get the filter out without removing the brace, I used to do it every day. :v:

Only in the wagon - the six in the sedan is the 1G-FE which has ~150hp and terrible fuel consumption. Even the 3l version sucked in stock trim though - by the late 90s it was way underpowered and horribly thirsty compared to a modern V6

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, the Altezza had it, for one.

There was never a factory turbo Altezza although there were a bunch of aftermarket conversions

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Only in the wagon - the six in the sedan is the 1G-FE which has ~150hp and terrible fuel consumption. Even the 3l version sucked in stock trim though - by the late 90s it was way underpowered and horribly thirsty compared to a modern V6

This, the 2JZ-GE only comes up in the wagons and lexus LS300's here; every car badged altezza has a 2L. Crustashio I think the BEAMS engine was JDM only, unfortunately. Nevermind.

dissss posted:

There was never a factory turbo Altezza although there were a bunch of aftermarket conversions

The closest I've seen to a 'factory' turbo altezza was a Tom's factory modified car with a 3S-GE. It was reasonably fast but the flaws in the chassis really started to show through when it's trying to put down real power.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The 'Altezza' IS300 in the States got the 2JZ, and those were almost entirely sedans. We never got the 2.0 I6 here. Also never got the LS300, I think the LS level has always been V8-only.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IS300* :kiddo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dissss posted:

Haha, I read NA as naturally aspirated meaning a 3SGE - not North America.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I meant 3sge anyway, accidentally added the T. Imported altezzas are stupid cheap but availability of parts for the motor worries me. I'd rather an e46 but getting a rust free car for 6k is basically impossible here.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 7, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drat, daily driven with that stance?! Badman

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just couldn't make the sacrifices involved in driving a German luxury sedan every day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

revmoo posted:

I just couldn't make the sacrifices involved in driving a German luxury sedan every day.

not just a German luxury sedan, a ~~**decade old 318d (most likely)**~~

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I guess you at least rack up some points for surviving daily driving when you take a hacksaw to your suspension, but that sticker really makes no sense at all on the car, unless he's got GDCS syndrome or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd find it funnier if it were parked in a disabled spot with an "illest" sticker.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Crustashio posted:

I meant 3sge anyway, accidentally added the T. Imported altezzas are stupid cheap but availability of parts for the motor worries me. I'd rather an e46 but getting a rust free car for 6k is basically impossible here.

I am pretty sure 90% of the parts are the same as any other 3SGE, just the head/ECU are different. Shouldn't be any worse than owning a 20v 4AGE in USA/Canada. You can get pretty much any part you need as long as you have a good toyota dealer to work with. If not there is one that caters to most of the toyota forums(Lithia Toyota?), and will get you any part you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The BEAMS engine is 100% solid but there is very little parts interchangeability with FWD 3SGE's. Pretty much only the bare block is broadly the same. Literally everything on the outside is different to a FWD car, including the manifolds etc. Parts definitely aren't difficult to get but an Altezza is a really poor choice compared to an e46 (maintenance and 'european character' issues aside) as far as actually driving the thing goes. Even with the beams engine they simply aren't very fast at all.