Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gavok posted:

I remember they brought in a really obscure one in the early Joe Kelly days of Deadpool. I can't even tell you what his/her name is and I'm the goddamn Deadpool expert.

Vamp/Animus! A proud alum of the Roy Thomas School of Taking Jung Too Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

That is probably for the best though? Rulk goes around topless, was she just never gonna transform back, or...?

She finds the nearest piece of cloth, and covers herself as well as she can until she gets home. It's not complicated.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Red Hulk was terrible because in the What If General Ross Was The Hulk? version Ross' moustache hulked out with him, setting a precedent that was discarded just because otherwise everyone would instantly know who red muscle dad was.

Gavok posted:

I remember they brought in a really obscure one in the early Joe Kelly days of Deadpool. I can't even tell you what his/her name is and I'm the goddamn Deadpool expert.
That issue is weirdly the only physical Deadpool comic I own.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Wait, Deadpool (the mod) isn't the Deadpool expert? Or did you double major in Venom/Deadpool studies?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

PSA: You can get the best comic you probably aren't reading, Bandette, for 50% off right now, and issues were only $0.99 to start with.
https://www.comixology.com/Monkeybrain-Independents-Sale/page/2559

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

zoux posted:

Isn't there a gender swapping character now? Besides Apex I guess.
Mystique. :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Tupac's dead man, stop living in the past.

Nah, he's still alive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNurKU3_zkM

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Teenage Fansub posted:

PSA: You can get the best comic you probably aren't reading, Bandette, for 50% off right now, and issues were only $0.99 to start with.
https://www.comixology.com/Monkeybrain-Independents-Sale/page/2559

I would never empty quote anything, though I might consider making an exception for this excellent public service announcement.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Has there been any indication on how financially successful Monkeybrain has been?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Has there been any indication on how financially successful Monkeybrain has been?

They've got a full slate of books, a bunch if collections put out by IDW, a couple Eisners, and Allison Baker just got hired by IDW as Director of Operations.

No idea what their numbers are on digital singles, though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ghostlight posted:

Red Hulk was terrible because in the What If General Ross Was The Hulk? version Ross' moustache hulked out with him, setting a precedent that was discarded just because otherwise everyone would instantly know who red muscle dad was.
Even more than a What If, it's been established repeatedly that Hulk (Banner) can grow a beard, if his hair is shaved Hulk's hair is shaved, if Rick Jones's hair is long he's got long hair as a Hulk, etc.

Jeph Loeb's defense of this in interviews is "Well Ben Grimm had hair when he got turned into the Thing, and the Thing is bald, so I guess you all think Jack Kirby is a hack if you criticize me."

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Happy America Day, comic goons, regardless of your country of origin. May both your hearts stay strong. :patriot:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And the rocket's red glare~

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I had stopped reading comics for years and then last Christmas I was lucky enough to get a Nook HD+. Since then I've been picking up more and more reads from comiXology. I *almost feel guilty about this but, man, I don't think I'll ever go back to the old school way. Kinda makes me sad because I do love comic shops- just not enough to pull me away from reading on my tablet.

A friend even offered me his Punisher: War Journal #1 for helping him move his couch and I told him to keep it.

Fleetwood fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Brick and mortar stores are probably doomed in the longterm, so there's no reason to feel guilty. If you live in a major city though, sometimes your local comic is still worth going to. Places like Desert Island in Brooklyn and Chicago Comics in Chicago both have a good indie/self-published sections of stuff you can't really get online and some fun events every now and then. Those places are probably going to have to shutdown eventually, but it's still fun to support fun people doing fun things.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Good stores are evolving. My former local moved to a much larger location and tripled the games section.

Where we used to have a couple Warmachine tables and a few card tables, gaming takes up 4/5 of the store and comics are on one wall.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In the Kick-rear end movie the characters all hang out at a comic shop/coffee shop hybrid and I always thought that was a good idea, has anyone ever seen a real life shop like that?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Toronto's Silver Snail has a coffee shop built into their Yonge/Dundas store. Unfortunately, their comics selection is terrible, and the staff isn't particularly interested in helping anyone, so I tend to buy from their competition down the road.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The three stores I know of around my location are all a drive for me. Going digital would be convenient but I really like browsing through boxes and coming to the desk with a stack.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Starsnostars posted:

In the Kick-rear end movie the characters all hang out at a comic shop/coffee shop hybrid and I always thought that was a good idea, has anyone ever seen a real life shop like that?

That's based on the former Atomic Comics in Phoenix which went bankrupt a couple years ago (having a ton of product destroyed by a broken water main is one of the main causes). I think I heard something else went in there with a coffee bar as well though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

Comics/Music/Coffee has been the go-to thought between a couple of friends and I for a successful shop that would actually last. The only downside we found to this is that you would have a tough time having a shop of an affordable size that had much in the way of backstock.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I thought about that idea of a cafe/comic book shop once, actually. And I couldn't decide if The Phantom Scone was the best or worst name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I thought about that idea of a cafe/comic book shop once, actually. And I couldn't decide if The Phantom Scone was the best or worst name.

Get Katee Sackhoff's likeness rights and call it "Starbuck's" (the apostrophe is very important) with a giant picture of her as the logo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Squidster posted:

Toronto's Silver Snail has a coffee shop built into their Yonge/Dundas store. Unfortunately, their comics selection is terrible, and the staff isn't particularly interested in helping anyone, so I tend to buy from their competition down the road.

They do, however, have a mug filled with spoons for people to use with a picture of the Tick yelling "SPOON!" on the side of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bairfanx posted:

Comics/Music/Coffee has been the go-to thought between a couple of friends and I for a successful shop that would actually last. The only downside we found to this is that you would have a tough time having a shop of an affordable size that had much in the way of backstock.

My local shop considered it, but the costs of permits, and making the building suitable to serve drinks/food would be too much of a pain.

A friend with more money than sense still wants to go through with the idea someday in midtown Detroit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Get Katee Sackhoff's likeness rights and call it "Starbuck's" (the apostrophe is very important) with a giant picture of her as the logo.

Dirk Benedict is probably a lot cheaper.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Starsnostars posted:

Cup of Kryptonite in Des Moines is a pretty neat place to go to, in case you're ever in the area.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Having worked at both cafes and comic book shops, I can only imagine the sheer nightmare that is working at both at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having worked at both cafes and comic book shops, I can only imagine the sheer nightmare that is working at both at the same time.

Comics and cafes don't mesh at all. I was the Cafe Lead at a Borders when they started carrying single issues and we were tossing out a few dozen a week after they became coffee soaked.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Comics and cafes don't mesh at all. I was the Cafe Lead at a Borders when they started carrying single issues and we were tossing out a few dozen a week after they became coffee soaked.
Was there a similar issue with trades? I feel like with a smaller location you could probably maintain a rule where you don't let people read singles that they haven't purchased at their tables.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Rhyno, have you (or anyone) tried pulling the first issue or two of an arc from back issues, and putting them in a rack at a nearby coffee shop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Was there a similar issue with trades? I feel like with a smaller location you could probably maintain a rule where you don't let people read singles that they haven't purchased at their tables.

Borders gave absolutely no fucks about damaged periodicals. Like, NO FUCKS.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Rhyno, have you (or anyone) tried pulling the first issue or two of an arc from back issues, and putting them in a rack at a nearby coffee shop?

I'm an active part of the local Cars & Coffee group and I've been trying to get a Comics & Coffee group going where we'd go to a different coffee shop once a month and have a comic book shindig or something. It's slow going and I'm sort of looking at leaving the shop so it's on the back burner.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Parmesan Basil posted:

Cup of Kryptonite in Des Moines is a pretty neat place to go to, in case you're ever in the area.
Cup o' Kryptonite is basically no more. They got driven out of their old shop that had coffee and comics to a smaller, shittier shop that just had comics, and then got rolled up into the Des Moines Social Club downtown where they're now just a coffee shop that has no parking. It sucks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We have two comic shops in Orlando that have bought up the spaces next door to them and turned them into event rooms. They both regularly host book clubs, art classes and contests, creator signings, concerts, stand-up and improv comedy, burlesque performances, and even weddings. One of them tends to be the more family-friendly store with a museum-like collection of new and vintage action figures, and the other one is actually decreasing the size of the comic shop in order to increase the size of their event room, which functions as a bar.

A close friend has the dream of founding his own comic/toy/all-purpose geek store but combining it with his other love, Scotch, as a high-end bar or liquor store specializing in Scotches and other whiskeys. I know the Isotope Lounge in San Francisco is a classy comic shop/bar, but I'm not sure how big the crossover market would be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coffee doesn't feel like the right drink for a comic book store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Coffee doesn't feel like the right drink for a comic book store.

Mountain Dew is way cheaper. We have a mini fridge full of drinks for gaming events and we sell something like 8 MDs to every one bottle of water.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just get one of those Coke machines with the 500 flavor combinations, but put Mountain Dew in it too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Just get one of those Coke machines with the 500 flavor combinations, but put Mountain Dew in it too.

They installed these at the movie theater I go to when they did a big remodel a few years back and the only thing better is the comfy recliners they replaced the seats with.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
But real talk, there is a comic book store near this bar I really like. So, I picked up Sex Criminals, Saga, and the last two issues of Original Sin recently. Then I took them with my dog over to a bar with a garden and drank two dark and stormies. And it all just felt right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So Batman waged a one man war on crime and has a policy to not use guns. But what if Batman decided guns were the problem and decided to wage a one man war on guns?

• Locked thread