Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Am I missing that this is some sort of semi-famous historical artwork, or can people just not see how poorly this is done?

Design could be nice but holy poo poo those are some wobbly rear end lines. You'd think someone trying to do a piece that focuses on clean lineart would take better care. Also looks like they forgot to draw part of the other leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Design could be nice but holy poo poo those are some wobbly rear end lines. You'd think someone trying to do a piece that focuses on clean lineart would take better care. Also looks like they forgot to draw part of the other leg.

That is my entire issue with it. Unless it is a direct reproduction of something scratched in a cave somewhere, there is no reason for those lines to be that crappy. The line on what would be that guy's right thigh is 3-4 times thicker than any other line in the design, and the lines are all wobbly.

I'm not complaining about the subject matter at all, my only issue is the execution. That could be a really neat, striking tattoo if it was done competently.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cool double long arm and floating severe leg. Look at how the back hunches, it's clearly the mutant from 300.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can some polyglot goon confirm/deny these translations.

And various others.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Amykinz posted:

Countless reblogs on tumblr with "need" added in. One actual critique/comment out of 400 "want"s saying, "the toes are a little weird, but that doesn't take away from the awesome linework".

Am I missing that this is some sort of semi-famous historical artwork, or can people just not see how poorly this is done?

Not the post amazing piece, but greek vase style has been my 'if i got a tattoo' thing for a long long while. Never seen one before now though. Actually never bothered looking.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Can some polyglot goon confirm/deny these translations.

My chinese is super rusty.

The first one is literally "cheap woman", so yeah slut i guess works.

Second is "mad" and then some crazy traditional character so yeah diarrhea why not

The third is one of those things where it means slippery, like slippery when wet, but then also like "smooth" or "cunning". But i think that's when it's with other characters.

Uhhh whoever got the fourth one is a massive fan of game of thrones the Spider, it says eunuch.

The fifth looks like they were going for "family, woman, life, friend, birthday or something but they're randomly mirrored or written badly.

6th, yeah, vicious something poet

Seventh all mirrored and backwards yeah. Although that 'dragon' looks weird, some of these might be japanese versions.

Gonna assume that's the traditional character for "bad", the "boy" in this case is literally a little kid. I think to a chinese person it'd read like "a naughty child", since a 'bad boy' is an idiom in english.

Last one def looks like some tasty food.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ya, that's the Japanese character for dragon. Also, dream is backwards, though the English text doesn't indicate it.

and lololol at eunuch.

I'd have to guess that fried rice knew what he was doing though, some sort of dumb ironic statement on people getting tattoos they can't read or whatever.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of love this piece of poo poo. I hope Buddy is/was a good cat. :3:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm not sure about Chinese, but the character labelled as "slippery" in Japanese can also mean mucus. Although since it looks like it's drawn to look like ice, maybe it was actually supposed to mean slippery.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

He went full retaerg. Never go full retaerg.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
David Bowie is unimpressed.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Seems pretty accurate?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a video game tattoo for a game that isn't out yet. How could it possibly go wrong?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's a video game tattoo for an organisation that uses child soldiers and tortures women :waycool:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

sinking belle posted:

It's a video game tattoo for an organisation that uses child soldiers and tortures women :waycool:

loving gamers, jesus christ.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vintersorg posted:

loving gamers, jesus christ.

Gamers think the protagonists are automatically the good guys. The protagonist and leader of said organization turns out to be Turbo-Hitler later on, too (or earlier since that happened in the NES games).

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Who would wear such a thing? Other than a 15-year old

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Some back story: this is a friend of mine who is very sweet, though inclined to be a bit self-aggrandizing. She has a full backpiece and this one is her second full sleeve. Technically very well done, but man that face

Maybe it's that the whole thing isn't very cohesive and it all seems like a mishmash of elements, or the knowledge that those trees are gonna be one big blur in a few years. But man, that face. Nose is kinda wonky too.

For contrast, here's her other arm

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Forearm in the top is nice, blood tears is poo poo and 9/11... otherwise it's all competently made.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Gamers think the protagonists are automatically the good guys. The protagonist and leader of said organization turns out to be Turbo-Hitler later on, too (or earlier since that happened in the NES games).

I'm pretty sure the Big Boss arc of the MGS series is supposed to semi-retcon the 8-bit games. The entire point of the arc going from MGS3 -> Peace Walker -> MGS5 is that, while he's not fundamentally a bad person and has decent intentions, he had to do monstrous poo poo to survive as a modern soldier (and later military leader), and not doing monstrous poo poo had a tendency to make Really Bad Things happen to him and everyone he cared about.

It's not "here's how Big Boss became as evil as twenty hitlers," it's "here's why war is really loving bad and is even worse due to how it's changed in the last 70 years."

Whether you agree with this message is totally a matter of opinion, and I completely get not empathizing with him (hell, it doesn't really work that well for me), but it's pretty clearly what the games are going for and I'm not really surprised that people still think he's a sympathetic character and/or FOXHOUND/MSF are sympathetic organizations. It's not a matter of "dumb gamers, heh :smuggo:" when it's literally the intended message of the game.

(i'm also slightly biased because MGS and MGS2 were a not-insignificant part of my childhood and I've kinda wanted a FOXHOUND tattoo for a long time)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm pretty sure the Big Boss arc of the MGS series is supposed to semi-retcon the 8-bit games. The entire point of the arc going from MGS3 -> Peace Walker -> MGS5 is that, while he's not fundamentally a bad person and has decent intentions, he had to do monstrous poo poo to survive as a modern soldier (and later military leader), and not doing monstrous poo poo had a tendency to make Really Bad Things happen to him and everyone he cared about.

It's not "here's how Big Boss became as evil as twenty hitlers," it's "here's why war is really loving bad and is even worse due to how it's changed in the last 70 years."

Whether you agree with this message is totally a matter of opinion, and I completely get not empathizing with him (hell, it doesn't really work that well for me), but it's pretty clearly what the games are going for and I'm not really surprised that people still think he's a sympathetic character and/or FOXHOUND/MSF are sympathetic organizations. It's not a matter of "dumb gamers, heh :smuggo:" when it's literally the intended message of the game.

(i'm also slightly biased because MGS and MGS2 were a not-insignificant part of my childhood and I've kinda wanted a FOXHOUND tattoo for a long time)

Holy loving poo poo.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
yes yes I know "trap sprung bitch" pardon me for knowing a lot about a video game series that i have been playing since i was literally six

e: and also for catching something that it beats you over the loving head with and you would have to be literally blind to not notice, because Kojima is not a particularly subtle man

SALT CURES HAM has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jul 5, 2014

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

bideogames

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SALT CURES HAM posted:

yes yes I know "trap sprung bitch" pardon me for knowing a lot about a video game series that i have been playing since i was literally six

e: and also for catching something that it beats you over the loving head with and you would have to be literally blind to not notice, because Kojima is not a particularly subtle man

Yeah, that's not some spergy fantasy. You'd have to be either actually retarded or asleep at the wheel to play any of those games and not get the message.

I mean, I get that we're here to laugh at bad/tasteless tattoos; this isn't "bloo bloo you're making fun of my videogame." You guys just homed in on the game tat and made up a reason for it to be funny while totally ignoring that awful loving H on his arm, which is evidently covering up (but inexplicably only partially) some other far more horrible tattoo...or possibly ligature marks from a bondage session.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, that's not some spergy fantasy. You'd have to be either actually retarded or asleep at the wheel to play any of those games and not get the message.

I mean, I get that we're here to laugh at bad/tasteless tattoos; this isn't "bloo bloo you're making fun of my videogame." You guys just homed in on the game tat and made up a reason for it to be funny while totally ignoring that awful loving H on his arm, which is evidently covering up (but inexplicably only partially) some other far more horrible tattoo...or possibly ligature marks from a bondage session.

I never noticed the H because I was trying so hard not to look at his puffy nipple. Just crosspost the thing to AUG for me while I rinse puke taste outta my mouth, thanks.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is the best

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
From a facebook group called SpringFAILd that highlights the finer denizens of the city of Springfield Illinois:

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Man, jerking off with this tattoo must be hard. :gonk:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Ronnz posted:

Man, jerking off with this tattoo must be hard. :gonk:

"I'm gonna wreck it!"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BarbarousBertha posted:

I never noticed the H because I was trying so hard not to look at his puffy nipple. Just crosspost the thing to AUG for me while I rinse puke taste outta my mouth, thanks.

Does that mean you didn't notice the gigantic blood vessel running through the bottom of his areola? :haw:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

This is cool as hell

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

This is cool as hell

The debris kind of looks like skin growths but otherwise it's kind of cool

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
They probably look like that because they're raised and red from being a recent tattoo

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
It's really thoughtful of that person to get a tattoo depicting two of John C. Reilly's characters in one piece. Ralph's body and Steve Brule's :stare:.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm almost positive I've seen a Popeye and either Ken or Ryu from Street Fighter done in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

ReidRansom posted:

I'm almost positive I've seen a Popeye and either Ken or Ryu from Street Fighter done in the same way.

• Locked thread