Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Since everyone else is being nice I'll let you know that, yes, that was dumb as poo poo. What the hell dude, you rode right into the wall?

Basically, yeah. The road was lovely and my good sense went right out the window. I really should have looked through the turn and trusted my tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

nsaP posted:

Since everyone else is being nice I'll let you know that, yes, that was dumb as poo poo. What the hell dude, you rode right into the wall?

From the OP:

Don't:
Start with the dick waving (we get it, your better then us, move on and keep your smart rear end comments to yourself)
Post crash pics you, or someone you know personally, weren't involved in (this is about first hand experience, not a contest on who can find the most gruesome pics from rotten or ridetodie)
Be a prick (if you're giving advice be friendly about it, if your being criticized be gracious about it)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Stugazi posted:

From the OP:

Don't:
Start with the dick waving (we get it, your better then us, move on and keep your smart rear end comments to yourself)
Post crash pics you, or someone you know personally, weren't involved in (this is about first hand experience, not a contest on who can find the most gruesome pics from rotten or ridetodie)
Be a prick (if you're giving advice be friendly about it, if your being criticized be gracious about it)

Don't worry about it. nsaP's gonna nsaP.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Stugazi posted:

From the OP:

Don't:

Dude the pity party is nice but at some point you need a reality check to change where you messed up and move on. Condolences never helped me on my crashes but the people telling me I was a moron had me rethinking where I'd messed up.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 6, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

Dude the pity party is nice but at some point you need a reality check to change where you messed up and move on. Condolences never helped me on my crashes but the people telling me I was a moron had me rethinking where I'd messed up.

I think we all would have said that was dumb if he hadn't pointed out exactly how he hosed up when he posted it, I think he realises it was a stupid mistake that could have ended way worse than it did.

There was no reason to be a oval office to the guy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

People need to post what bikes they ruined when they crash so those of us following at home can pour one out.

Heal up.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It was a KLR I think? Either way, sorry to hear that. My friend was telling me about how he hit a jersey barrier once and I was cringing at the thought of it, and he didn't really get injured. Heal up soon!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SD that is ratshit. I've had those inexplicable moments of reptillian brain panic before but didn't crash, I can't explain it either. Are you going to have any difficulty walking because of the double repairs to your foot in the future?

I'm glad your uly is ok, too. As much as I love ragging on them, it'll be a sad day when CA sees the last of Erik's mutant abortions :)

nsaP posted:

I realise that there's always gonna be one, especially on this forum and especially in this thread, and that's fine. It bothers me that you have this self-determined quest to always be that guy though, I don't get it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I was in San Leandro eating at the Englander Pub when one of the guys that works there informs me that he thinks it's my bike that has been knocked over in the parking lot. I quickly went outside and saw that my BMW was laying on it's right side :(

I picked her up, brake lever was snapped to pieces, rear brake pedal was bent, an some scratches on the mid and upper fairing :mad Worst of all is that I had the ignition locked and I think the fall broke the lock because when I inserted the key it was not able to turn to the "on" position and the handlebars were no longer locked.

Luckily I had a couple of witnesses who saw who did it and the type of car and gave a description of the lady who did it. Judging by their description I knew who they were taking about : It's a lady that is quite a regular and probably had a few too many beers during the world cup game and hit my bike with her rav4 without realizing it. I've in fact talked to her a little bit and she seemed nice enough and not the type to do a hit and run. Just about everyone who works at the place knows who she is.

I called the San Leandro PD and they eventually came and I did a report and gave all the info I had on her and the witnesses contact info. He talked to the employees and they told the officer who she was and that she was quite a regular and would have her call the PD or me and hopefully I get some insurance info and get my bike taken care of :( I don't really care or want any legal trouble for her, I basically just want my bike fixed, and the officer basically said the same thing and would keep me updated.

The guys at the pub were real cool and didn't mind me leaving the bike there, i'm sure that lady will turn up again because i've been here 3-4 times the last 3 weeks and have seen her there everytime.

some of the damages:

slight crack in the upper fairing and pretty much shattered the brake lever, I think some of the brake fluid leaked out as it was on its side and I got virtually no braking power up front.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a remarkable degree of damage for just being pushed over. How the gently caress can someone hit a motorbike with their car and not notice? I'm sure she's a nice lady but seriously, if she's so trolleyed that she doesn't notice reversing into a large heavy noisy-when-it-falls object she shouldn't be driving.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

That is a remarkable degree of damage for just being pushed over. How the gently caress can someone hit a motorbike with their car and not notice? I'm sure she's a nice lady but seriously, if she's so trolleyed that she doesn't notice reversing into a large heavy noisy-when-it-falls object she shouldn't be driving.

California drivers. You may recall that a month or so ago someone backed into my motorcycle while I was standing right next to it, banging on the person's car trunk and yelling at the top of my lungs for her to stop.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Absolute bullshit that she hit the bike and didn't notice. She was drunk and avoiding a DUI.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Yup this. The person who hit my parked scoot was horrid and tried to blame me for parking it where she couldn't see it (the adjacent parking space) but at least she stuck around and wasn't drunk. The person who hit yours and fled deserves as much legal trouble as possible for being careless at best and intoxicated and extremely dangerous at worst.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

I realise that there's always gonna be one, especially on this forum and especially in this thread, and that's fine. It bothers me that you have this self-determined quest to always be that guy though, I don't get it.

Get over yourself. My last post in this thread was supporting sagebrush when other people were being tough on him.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

nsaP posted:

Get over yourself. My last post in this thread was supporting sagebrush when other people were being tough on him.

Seems to me that you've just got to be against the grain in order to be remembered on some small forum in a back-water part of the internet. Alternatively: shut the gently caress up. Being so edgy doesn't really help that much, constructive criticism would (more than likely) come from others, as opposed to your "DUDE U R AN IDIOT". Top stuff chief.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ManicJason posted:

Absolute bullshit that she hit the bike and didn't notice. She was drunk and avoiding a DUI.

I have a feeling this is the case, i've been at this bar 3-4 random times in the last 3 weeks or so and i've seen her there everytime so she must be a regular and would return.

my bike wasn't "backed into" she drove out of the parking lot and must've tapped it on the left side (bike was on its sidestand) and knocked it over onto its right side, she must've tapped it pretty hard to make a ~650lb bike fall over from its sidestand to the opposite side.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

fingerling posted:

Seems to me that you've just got to be against the grain in order to be remembered on some small forum in a back-water part of the internet. Alternatively: shut the gently caress up. Being so edgy doesn't really help that much, constructive criticism would (more than likely) come from others, as opposed to your "DUDE U R AN IDIOT". Top stuff chief.

I know the title of the thread says to not try to add content to this thread, but you don't have to take it quite so literally

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

SD that is ratshit. I've had those inexplicable moments of reptillian brain panic before but didn't crash, I can't explain it either. Are you going to have any difficulty walking because of the double repairs to your foot in the future?

I'm glad your uly is ok, too. As much as I love ragging on them, it'll be a sad day when CA sees the last of Erik's mutant abortions :)

I've done it on the rex a few times, and always out of stupidity. I've never once had an issue leaning the bike, getting it to flop into a turn, or react to what I need it to do. Yet at least once a week, I'll have a moment of "well everyone says the suspension is poo poo..." When I go to turn in. Then I shake my head and just roll on more throttle and oh hey everything is just loving fine.

Also, I'm not gonna bust nsaps balls. Personally, anytime I've hosed up, people being nice has never helped. Sometimes it's better to have that harsh pull back, even if you think you know what went wrong. It lets you go "oh, poo poo. Yeah I really was loving dumb."

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Not that I particularly relish this discussion train, but I don't think that nsaP's posts are all that bad. Atleast they aren't like: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=96#post429125980

That one was about mine and it was kind of annoying to read. I guess you know, there's a difference between calling someone out for doing dumb stuff and then just straight up telling them to kill themselves or whatever. And I don't think I've ever seen nsaP even really toe that line of constructive criticism vs. toxicitiy (much as i hate using that word)

can we bury this thread now until the next fallen goonwarrior?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

I really hosed the dog yesterday.

Well drat, dude. Glad to hear a fellow Chicago rider is ok enough to type a post after an accident. Remember to lean harder next time.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Safety Dance, hope you heal up quickly dude.

infraboy, I know you said you don't want any legal trouble for this lady who hit your bike, but dude, she hit your bike and drove away. I highly doubt she is an upstanding citizen who would report the issue to the police, or try to track you down to fix your motorcycle since you know, she hit it and drove away. I'd say she deserves whatever issues come her way from this, but that's just me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus gently caress Safety Dance, just opened this thread for the first time in a while after I saw the flurry of posts. :(

Heal up soon!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

americanzero4128 posted:

infraboy, I know you said you don't want any legal trouble for this lady who hit your bike, but dude, she hit your bike and drove away. I highly doubt she is an upstanding citizen who would report the issue to the police, or try to track you down to fix your motorcycle since you know, she hit it and drove away. I'd say she deserves whatever issues come her way from this, but that's just me.

She was likely pretty intoxicated, not that it's an excuse, but i've been in a similar boat before, so call me empathetic.

The officer I spoke to basically said if she comes forward to talk and give up her insurance info to get this taken care of, it's all good, otherwise it it could get worse for her.

Pretty much everyone that works at the establishment knows this lady that did it and I gave them my contact info, officer talked to them as well. They were also ok with me leaving the bike until this is settled.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

infraboy posted:

She was likely pretty intoxicated, not that it's an excuse, but i've been in a similar boat before, so call me empathetic.

If anything, her (possible) drinking should be an aggravating factor. She was irresponsible and dangerous enough to drink and drive.

She only deserves sympathy if she's an alcoholic and in that case she should lose her license until she's completed some residential treatment and is sober. I don't understand this attitude of acceptance towards drunk driving. There's no excuse for it and it kills people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

California drivers. You may recall that a month or so ago someone backed into my motorcycle while I was standing right next to it, banging on the person's car trunk and yelling at the top of my lungs for her to stop.

California drivers indeed. I had some old gently caress nearly do this to an Opel GT at a gas station - the only reason he didn't actually hit the car, despite me screaming and waving at him, is because his Cadillac's bumper went clean over the Opel's nose.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DrakeriderCa posted:

If anything, her (possible) drinking should be an aggravating factor. She was irresponsible and dangerous enough to drink and drive.

She only deserves sympathy if she's an alcoholic and in that case she should lose her license until she's completed some residential treatment and is sober. I don't understand this attitude of acceptance towards drunk driving. There's no excuse for it and it kills people.

I agree and think we should extend the same attitude and strickness to negligence and distracted driving. Saw a stat recently that phone related fatalities had recently taken the lead but I'm phone posting, i'll see if I can find it.

Edit: couldn't find it and the light went green 15 or. 20 seconds ago so I'll look later

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

nsaP posted:

Edit: couldn't find it and the light went green 15 or. 20 seconds ago so I'll look later

Finish your beer first. It Can Wait.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

California drivers indeed. I had some old gently caress nearly do this to an Opel GT at a gas station - the only reason he didn't actually hit the car, despite me screaming and waving at him, is because his Cadillac's bumper went clean over the Opel's nose.

I had a girl back into my rental car at a gas station about 10 minutes after dropping my friend off at LAX. I saw her reverse lights come on while I was still at the pump and thought "Oh, surely not...", then scrambled to find the horn (too late) as I realised what she was doing. According to insurance she did $1.3k of damage to the front end of a Ford Focus.

Wanted to settle the thing without insurance. Sure lady, let me just do that with a rental car, on the other side of the country, when I'm moving abroad in 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Learned an interesting fact that if it happens in a parking lot (as opposed to public roads) the police don't write it up as a proper accident report, just a sort of "yeah this happened on private property" slip for insurance company's purposes.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Dunno if it's a statewide thing, but where I live in Missouri, the police don't show up to a non-injury accident on private property unless one of the parties leaves the scene or is drunk/being a major rear end in a top hat about it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Well good news!

The guys at the bar saw the lady come in and told her about Saturday's incident so they gave her my info and she called right up and left me a message.

I called her back, she was very very apologetic, she had already opened up a claim with her Geico insurance and I gave her what relevant information she needed from me, got a call from Geico shortly thereafter and they should be taking care of everything tomorrow. Having the bike towed to the BMW Motorrad dealer in San Francisco to get it repaired.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Kinda x-posting from the questions thread:

Bike was running rough, took it to my friend's place (he's a former mechanic and also the PO) to see if he could help me troubleshoot it. He took a spin around the block, parked it, turn it off. Saw him loving around with the gear lever before he got off and figured he hadn't been in neutral and was putting it back there. We couldn't find the problem so he went back inside and I got on the bike to leave. Kicked it once, it rolled forward a bit (still in gear, to my surprise), I lost my balance and went over. Busted my left mirror.

Not so bad, but took it to the mechanic afterwards and he wasn't able to get it running well either, so he wants to take a longer look at it and will probably wind up overhauling the carbs. I *just* paid $300 to my usual mechanic for a going-over/tune-up before my big trip in two weeks, looks like I get to spend at least that much again, for a bike I can expect to get $700 for on a good day when I leave the country next month.

:sigh:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks dude. The bike looks like it's in okay shape. Scrapes on the luggage and the patented Eric Buell Gastank/Frame Slider Puck, but it looked otherwise not bad.

I was fortunate to have a retired firefighter a few cars behind me. He directed traffic and handled the 911 call.

e. My fiance put this picture on Facebook.

Go see an orthopaedic right away. I wrecked in May which resulted in a broken collar bone, and I stuck with the general advice from the ER and my GP which was to just leave my arm in a sling for 6 weeks and come out good as new. After a few weeks the pain was largely gone and the sling was annoying to I went to the specialist hoping to hear it would be OK to take my arm out of the sling once in awhile.

I heard that I should have had my arm out of the sling a week ago, and that now that all the swelling was down it was clear the 'straight down the middle easy break' diagnosis in the ER was actually broken in two places, and quite badly. Thanks to advancements in surgery over the last 10 years or so, surgery is very much worth it and would result in 100% recovery, but it wasn't really worth undoing 3 weeks of healing. So my left shoulder is now about an inch shorter than the right, and I've got reduced movement and strength in it for life (or until elective surgery), but as a computer guy I'm not really noticing that.

You're local so I recommend Hinsdale Orthopaedics if they're in your insurance network. Great group based on my rather recent experience.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 8, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Safety Dance, sorry to hear about your off; heal up quick.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

I wrecked in May

I've been meaning to write this up since it happened. In May I took a motorcycle trip with 3 friends from Chicago, IL to Hampton, TN which is about 650 miles, and the attraction there is this: The Snake which is a less intense and less crowded choice than The Dragon/Deal's Gap. (Vacation photos :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiGJNqh1i7w) It rained almost the entire way down, which made for a long couple of days but all in all still fun. Stopping and starting so much, and having pretty much everything covered in water gave me the bright idea of putting a wet earplug back in which promptly resulted in an ear infection for the remainder of the trip. Probably didn't do any favors for my balance, and definitely didn't do any favors for my focus.

The drag bike that I decided was a fine touring bike and totally up to taking on some twisties handled the trip quite well despite it's 150 mile range tank, because my rear end needed the rest every 100 or so miles anyway.

On Day 3 of the trip we had some great weather, took the $5 tour of Bristol Dragway (do this if you're ever in the area. Loads of fun and I don't even care about stock car racing.) and hit the Snake.

Rode most of it, stopped at the little shop they had on the halfway point in Shadey Valley, bought an 'I Survived the Snake' t-shirt, and then moved on to finish up the trek and get a bite to eat for dinner.

On the last few miles or so of the Snake I got really comfortable. The drag bike was taking the turns beautifully provided I had solid body position so the bike didn't have to do much of the work. I was moving up to about 40-50 mph which was passing cruisers and getting buzzed by supersports... which is right where this bike belongs. I was having loads of fun, and got totally relaxed. Taking some note of how incredibly far of a fall some of these no-gaurd-rail having turns were, and how amazing being surrounded by the mountain side was. All while keeping an above safe pace on the straight line bike. Then a truck was edged into the oncoming lane as I came around a blind corner, and it forced my apex way out of where I had intended to be. I was setup for the turn well and had yet to 'flop' into my line so I just stayed hanging off the bike with my arm pushing the bars out to keep the bike straight. I braked hard with the bike still upright, and flopped into the turn hard at the last minute with steady throttle maintaining traction on a way too hot apex. Made it through that one, but my heart was racing and my hands were shaking as result. Not much in the way of shoulders on this route and all of the turns were blind corners in one way or another. So I figured it was safer moving on, and not being a cause of target fixation than getting a grip on the side of the road.

I was trying to get control of my panic induced lizard brain, going about 20mph, and just easing my way through the rest of the snake. Then I saw this sign for one of those guys that snaps photos of bikes as they go through these things. I saw the sign and thought 'I wonder where the web cam is for that?' and then I saw it wasn't a web cam, but a dude in the bushes with a huge camera. I then looked forward to find myself pretty well out of road. I wasn't setup for the turn. I wasn't really anything but caught with my pants down staring at a man in the bushes with a camera pointed at me.

Lizard brain overloaded. I braked. I turned. I couldn't even tell you what all I did. It was a whole lot of panicked everything, and it resulted in nothing but shaving some speed off before I low sided. I think I made a conscious decision to separate myself from the bike once down, but I can't be sure, and it probably wasn't really in my control anyway. My shoulder hit the pavement and I distinctly remember saying 'Ooooof' when I hit. The bike sprawled into the mercifully existent guard rail, and I followed right behind it but managed to slide underneath it, pinging my foot off of it as I slid by.

I found myself looking up at some trees and the sky and muttering variations of 'ouch', 'gently caress', and 'ugh'. I wiggled my toes, and wiggled my fingers. Those all checked out. Moved my legs, moved my arms... moved my right arm... left one wasn't really working like it normally did. No pain thanks to all the adrenaline and endorphins, just a dull 'hey this isn't normal' sort of feeling. So I was sure I broke something, and then it became clear the trees were moving a bit. Hey... I'm injured and on my back and gradually sliding down a mountain... I should do something about this. Planted my feet, and began to rear end scootch my way back up to the road. I made it within a couple of feet of the guard rail when I heard somebody ask if I was OK.

'No.'
'Is something broken?'
'Yes.'
'.... Do you want help?'
'Yes. Pull me back up to the road.' I reached out my right arm and the kind stranger dragged me back up to the road where I laid there for a moment before thinking I should call an ambulance. I was also briefly worried about my friend on his Stratoliner who would be pulling around this corner any minute now and see me laid out... hope he doesn't run my over. Hope he doesn't worry.

I must have been in a state of shock, because the guy who pulled me up wasn't around anymore, and I had forgotten he ever existed. My friend would later tell me he was at the start of the turn giving a 'slow down' signal to all incoming traffic. My first thought was that I really liked my helmet, and EMT's cut off the helmet to reduce risk of spinal injury... better get that off before they ruin it. So I did. Which now put my head on gravel instead of a nicely padded and supporting helmet. Better call an ambulance, let me find my cell phone in my pants pocket... gently caress... no signal gently caress this loving useless thing, and I pitched it off on the side of the road somewhere. The useless helmet, useful phone, and my useful glasses were all returned to me later by kind people on the scene.

Next bit is a blur of memories. If not for other people telling me the order of events I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what order they happened in. My friend rolled up and came over to me. He asked the same questions the first guy did, with a follow up of 'what's broken?', and 'what can I do to help?'. I told him to take a few minutes to calm down because he was visibly terrified, and then ride down the mountain to call for help because we don't have a cell signal here. I remember the pain on the shoulder starting to set in, and me making a conscious decision to do nothing about it for fear of going into severe shock if there was a bone protruding or anything nasty like that. A former EMT pulled up on the scene, and he kept me conscious, calm, and talking about whatever. He had Verizon which had a signal, and he called for the ambulance. My friend took that as his cue to ride on and catch up with our other traveling companions who were well ahead of us on their twisty capable sport tourers and decades of riding experience.

When they got on the scene some time later the first thing they said was 'Man... this isn't how it's supposed to go.'
'Thanks bro. I wasn't sure, but now I know.'

While in the ambulance I heard my friends get my bike started up, and they then had the task of taking 3 riders and 4 bikes around to the hospital, and to the cabin we were staying which was about 60 miles away. Thanks a great bunch to them for managing it. While in the ambulance I asked the EMT what % of her calls were due to people putting things in their butt that didn't belong, and she looked flustered and informed me she'd never had that one before. I informed her we had more interesting kinds of people in Chicago. To get to the cabin we were staying in from the hospital a nurse's husband was kind enough to give me a ride. No cabs or shuttles or anything, and my friends and I were having serious conversations about how best to strap me on to the back of one of the bikes because the hospital refused to admit me overnight to give us time to sort out a better plan. I've never been more grateful for a ride in a car in my life.

I had a few parking lot mishaps my first year riding, but this was my first real wreck. I've been riding for 8 years across a dozen bikes and tens of thousands of miles. I've got one basic and one advanced riding course under my belt (with more planned). All of that didn't mean dick because my head wasn't in what I was doing. It was early in the season and I hadn't run any panic drills yet this year and my lizard brain got the better of me after my human brain took a moment off the job. Minutes before I wrecked I had made tighter turns faster, and I had my wits about me to dig out of a sudden situation. What did me in was getting too complacent, and allowing myself to get distracted. The situation on a road changes dramatically every second you're on it, and eventually not giving it your full deserved attention will hurt.

Bike:

Rider (wear tall and properly reinforced boots. This damage was through a pair of Red Wings and mesh overpants at 10-20mph):

This weekend I want back down with a borrowed van and dug the bike out of a storage shed my friends arranged for the bike in Tennessee. So it's back home after 6 long weeks, and ready for the insurance adjuster to come by. My last week of physical therapy for the broken collar bone is this week. There's still a small percentage of pain, loss of motion, and loss of strength, but nothing so bad it will change me in the long run... except that my left shoulder is now an inch or so shorter than my right. Now that the bike and I are reunited the insurance ball can finally roll. I have a GoPro of the crash itself, and I'm really curious to see how it compares to my memory, but I haven't watched it and I'm not going to until after at least a few rides. No need to psych myself out about getting back on.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

If that's what happened to you going down less than 20, I need to learn to appreciate I walked away fine when I lowsided going ~50mph and sliding into rocks. Minor road rash on my lower back that healed up in 2 weeks and some bruises, aggravated previous injuries, but it's fine now. Low siding on a mountain would be terrifying :( glad you and your bike didn't go over the side.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
His bike didn't, anyway.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Schroeder91 posted:

If that's what happened to you going down less than 20, I need to learn to appreciate I walked away fine when I lowsided going ~50mph and sliding into rocks. Minor road rash on my lower back that healed up in 2 weeks and some bruises, aggravated previous injuries, but it's fine now. Low siding on a mountain would be terrifying :( glad you and your bike didn't go over the side.

Thankful for a lot of things that could have made it a lot worse. Glad I had friends with me to sort out the aftermath. Glad that nothing was so badly injured that it's life altering in any way. It's 6 weeks later and I'm excited to have the bike back so I can ride again while there's still a few good months left in the season. Glad it was my left collar bone instead of my right so I had full ability of wiping my own rear end while wearing a sling.

Glad for that guard rail... so much so I got into it with an x-ray tech at the hospital who looked like Lemmy from Motorhead. He told me that he's opposed to those guard rails and would much rather hit something soft like a tree or some bushes. I told him my collar bone broke when I hit the concrete and the rail made it so an ambulance could retrieve me rather than an air lift or an undertaker. He dropped the point.

I'm surprised by the damage done from a fully geared, low speed, low side. At the time I was being loaded into the ambulance I remember being annoyed as hell that this was happening, because the bike was fine enough and I could have just continued on with my vacation if not for this pesky bone problem. I've since learned that collar bones are relatively fragile. They're one of the most common injuries in sports, in kids falling off jungle gyms, and accidents of both car and motorcycle. Plenty of people have them from getting drunk and falling off a deck or some other retarded thing that made them fall hard on their shoulder. It's just about how hard you land on a shoulder, and I guess I did gently caress all to brace myself for the fall so there you go. Glad my gear took the brunt of it all as far as the rest of my body was concerned.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Glad it was my left collar bone instead of my right so I had full ability of wiping my own rear end while wearing a sling.

Haha I hear that. I broke my left arm in my first crash and getting dressed was such a pain in the rear end with a sling. Getting home at 1am then up at 5 so I had enough time to get ready before work the next day at 7, all while being on Percocet, was fun. Back on the bike in 2 weeks :twisted:.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So you know you gotta link to the pics, right?

Sounds like you came out alright considering the circumstances, bummer it happened on your trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lovely man, sounds/looks like the old Vmax took it pretty well.

where are the action pics from the dude in the bushes

• Locked thread