Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Lord Bude posted:

Quick aside: You do appreciate that taking money you found on the side of the road is stealing right? that the correct, legal thing to do is to hand it in at a police station, and wait an appropriate amount of time to see if anyone claims it, and if not, depending on your local laws you may be able to take it for yourself?

It wasn't actually on the side of the road. I used the words abandoned on the ground as a way to communicate the sudden windfall, blah blah blah, bad choice of words. It's old and dirty and I found it stuck in one of the AC vents in my house. I like to think I'm not nearly dumb enough to steal money and brag about it. Though I didn't actually know that picking money off the street was illegal though, so... learn something new every day?

Anyway, rambling aside, I appreciate the new list! I've been debating back and forth on overclocking and it seems like a nice way to save money down the line, which appeals to me, but it's not a make or break sort of thing and I'll certainly implement everything else on your list. Thanks a ton!

I can get a copy of windows cheap for like 15-20 bucks so that's not a problem too.

E: PC Part Picker is hitting me with a warning, says that :

"In order to fit, the MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card may require removing drive bays from the BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case. The case only supports video cards up to 177mm in length without removing drive bays, while the video card is 260mm long."

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Iron Rose, are you sure it's new Leu? Depending on how old it is, it may be worth much less than you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_leu

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

If you're currently using a GTX 560Ti, I wouldn't upgrade the graphics card quite yet.

Yeah, I got a 760 and tried it. It is an upgrade but not a drastic one, and certainly not one that justified the price. I may be returning it, but I am having trouble with getting my system to run back with my old card.

I am going to try a complete driver clean and see if that works. Otherwise I may need to keep the thing out of need, not want.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I got a 760 and tried it. It is an upgrade but not a drastic one, and certainly not one that justified the price. I may be returning it, but I am having trouble with getting my system to run back with my old card.

I am going to try a complete driver clean and see if that works. Otherwise I may need to keep the thing out of need, not want.
Yeah you should absolutely do a complete driver clean when changing cards. Also re-install GeForce Experience as I found out (ShadowPlay wasn't working, re-installing GFE fixed that).

I think having ShadowPlay and being able to run games acceptably at greater than 1080p and record them too makes the 760 worthwhile over the 560, but since ATI cards have their own ShadowPlay now (ACE) then yeah they are a better deal currently.

If you're running games 1080p and under you probably won't see as much a difference, yeah.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah you should absolutely do a complete driver clean when changing cards. Also re-install GeForce Experience as I found out (ShadowPlay wasn't working, re-installing GFE fixed that).

I think having ShadowPlay and being able to run games acceptably at greater than 1080p and record them too makes the 760 worthwhile over the 560, but since ATI cards have their own ShadowPlay now (ACE) then yeah they are a better deal currently.

If you're running games 1080p and under you probably won't see as much a difference, yeah.

Come to think of it I didn't do a driver clean before putting in the new card. At this point however I don't really care enough to try it again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Iron Rose posted:

It wasn't actually on the side of the road. I used the words abandoned on the ground as a way to communicate the sudden windfall, blah blah blah, bad choice of words. It's old and dirty and I found it stuck in one of the AC vents in my house. I like to think I'm not nearly dumb enough to steal money and brag about it. Though I didn't actually know that picking money off the street was illegal though, so... learn something new every day?

Anyway, rambling aside, I appreciate the new list! I've been debating back and forth on overclocking and it seems like a nice way to save money down the line, which appeals to me, but it's not a make or break sort of thing and I'll certainly implement everything else on your list. Thanks a ton!

I can get a copy of windows cheap for like 15-20 bucks so that's not a problem too.

E: PC Part Picker is hitting me with a warning, says that :

"In order to fit, the MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card may require removing drive bays from the BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case. The case only supports video cards up to 177mm in length without removing drive bays, while the video card is 260mm long."

That's perfectly fine. The prodigy has space for up to 5 hard drives, plus a few misc. SSD mounting points. When you put in a video card, you lose the top 3 hard drive slots, leaving you with room for two, and 3 SSDs.

I wish my AC vents had money in them... Might motivate me to clean them more...

Edit: probably worth mentioning that if you aren't planning to build your new PC this minute, the Corsair graphite 380T is another really nice mITX case that will be out sometime in August and looks like it will be a little more compact than the prodigy (plus it has a built in carry handle that is designed to be used, rather than the 'handles' on the prodigy that are purely aesthetic.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 6, 2014

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

yeah...no. Don't waste money on AMD processors, they don't represent good value at any price point. We also don't recommend corsair cx series power supplies. Look at our OP.

Edit: I'm not at home right now, so here's something I put together for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G227HQLbi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft Keyboard 400 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G400s Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $769.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

This is probably the best you're going to do with what is a very tight budget, especially considering you need a mouse/keyboard/screen. That Ram is faster than you need, but it happened to be the same price as the cheapest DDR3-1600 at the moment. The video card is the smaller ITX version (performance wise it's identical to a full size version) because that happened to be the cheapest 270X at the moment. The monitor is the cheapest 1080p IPS panel listed on PCPartpicker. The logitech g400s is the cheapest decent mouse you can get (and I feel having a decent mouse is a higher priority than having a premium keyboard). I haven't included an optical drive but you could add one for $20 if you wanted one.

Things to consider if you can find some more room in your budget(in rough order of priority):

1. Upgrade to a core i5 4590 (Extra $65 or so)
2. Get a solid state drive. Samsung 840EVO starts at $85 for 120gigs

Lower priority/luxury upgrades:

Hyper212 EVO cpu cooler for reduced noise (~$30)
Larger/better monitor
Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech G502 mouse (extra $30 or so)
Nicer case - eg nanoxia DS4. ($40-50)

Thank you so much! I could go up to a thousand if necessary, but I wanted to keep it below that. Is it best to buy parts online rather than brick and mortar stores?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pinball posted:

Thank you so much! I could go up to a thousand if necessary, but I wanted to keep it below that. Is it best to buy parts online rather than brick and mortar stores?

If you're building it yourself buy from wherever you want, just keep in mind things like shipping costs (and savings from shipping multiple items together) and the convenience of only dealing with the fewest possible number of vendors if you need to RMA poo poo. Just get stuff from wherever is cheapest; and keep a lookout for combo deals and stuff.

If your budget can go to $1k, I would strongly urge you to at least consider the core i5; and the SSD. Possibly also the hyper212 evo if you value silence.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I like to upgrade to a new machine roughly every 4 or 5 years, and it is about that time now. I've got about $1,000 to spend, although I can go up to $1,500 but I'd like to spend as little as possible for what I need. It'd be a general purpose machine that would also be used for gaming. Most of the build is pretty straightforward to me, but I'm having a problem with hard drives. The last time I shopped for hard drives, SSDs were a bit too new and expensive to be considered. I don't know much about them and I have no idea if I should go with one primary SSD and some old fashioned drives, multiple SSDs, or what. The CPU, RAM and so on I can just grab from one of the OPs of this thread, but I'm unsure as to what sort of hard drive set-up I should use.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TTBF posted:

I like to upgrade to a new machine roughly every 4 or 5 years, and it is about that time now. I've got about $1,000 to spend, although I can go up to $1,500 but I'd like to spend as little as possible for what I need. It'd be a general purpose machine that would also be used for gaming. Most of the build is pretty straightforward to me, but I'm having a problem with hard drives. The last time I shopped for hard drives, SSDs were a bit too new and expensive to be considered. I don't know much about them and I have no idea if I should go with one primary SSD and some old fashioned drives, multiple SSDs, or what. The CPU, RAM and so on I can just grab from one of the OPs of this thread, but I'm unsure as to what sort of hard drive set-up I should use.

A Samsung 840evo for your OS/games/apps and a regular hard drive (typically a WD Red) for music, movies, etc. We typically suggest 250gig for the SSD - less is restrictive, more is very much a luxury.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sweet spot at the moment is 250gb Samsung evo and 1tb wd red. Install your os and games on the ssd, everything else on the red.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So a SSD as the main drive and then a traditional drive for music and such? Got it. Thanks for the help. I'm not looking to buy this computer immediately, so I was wondering if there are any upcoming parts (CPUs, GPUs, etc) that might be worth waiting for. If not, I think I've got a machine based on the quick picks from the OP.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 6, 2014

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
I'm pretty close to ordering a new GPU, I think I'm really sold on the 750ti, price wise and performance from what be researched and been told from here. I read it doesn't require external power though? Anything to be worries about?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SierraNovember posted:

I'm pretty close to ordering a new GPU, I think I'm really sold on the 750ti, price wise and performance from what be researched and been told from here. I read it doesn't require external power though? Anything to be worries about?

This depends on exactly which one you get. Some of them draw all their power from the PCIe bus, others will have a 6 pin connector as well.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

The Lord Bude posted:

This depends on exactly which one you get. Some of them draw all their power from the PCIe bus, others will have a 6 pin connector as well.

Does it make much difference really? I've been eying up the Asus version: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICUGOP0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_16xUtb15KCA3F5PX good choice?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SierraNovember posted:

The MSI 750i Twin Frozr does not need external power so that one at least is an option if you want something quiet with lower power usage.

EDIT: that Asus is a tenner cheaper though. :)

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 6, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What can I use to add internal SATA ports to my Asus Z97A motherboard? I want to move some hard drives off the Intel ports.

Well actually, should I do RAID1 or RAID5 on those Intel ports or use a dedicated hardware RAID card?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Ok guys looking to maybe make a buy this week. Anything wrong with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $731.91

Goal is to be a box connected to TV/sometime a monitor. 1080p output. No GPU included in this until I can either decide on which I want. I'm thinking of buying this, building it, and grabbing the GPU later. Is there any reason that's a bad idea? Is this a fine base system to throw upgraded GPUs as demanded? It's OP build more or less and I don't want to touch overclocking.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

MJBuddy posted:

Ok guys looking to maybe make a buy this week. Anything wrong with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $731.91

Goal is to be a box connected to TV/sometime a monitor. 1080p output. No GPU included in this until I can either decide on which I want. I'm thinking of buying this, building it, and grabbing the GPU later. Is there any reason that's a bad idea? Is this a fine base system to throw upgraded GPUs as demanded? It's OP build more or less and I don't want to touch overclocking.

You're pretty much good. That motherboard can accept a max of 16gb of RAM, so you if you think you'll want to add more than that in the future, get the h97-g43.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

beejay posted:

Care to explain? I'm curious about your reasoning.

A 760 isn't enough an upgrade from a 560Ti to warrant the price - IMO anyway - and I'd wait to see where Maxwell goes before upgrading. Also, ATI apparently has a surprise waiting. Normally I'm not one to wait for new parts, but 560Ti isn't that old.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

My parts arrived! Unfortunately I can't work on building it until tomorrow evening. What's a good guide for someone who's never connected parts inside a computer before? I think I'm pretty sure what goes where, but something I can look at for help if needed would be good.

Also, my bf has expressed interest in inheriting my old computer. Unfortunately I had planned to use the psu in the new one. I guess I have a couple of days to try researching prices to see whether I should leave the current one where it is and get a new one for myself, or transfer the current one over and buy a cheap one for him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Lord Bude posted:

That's perfectly fine. The prodigy has space for up to 5 hard drives, plus a few misc. SSD mounting points. When you put in a video card, you lose the top 3 hard drive slots, leaving you with room for two, and 3 SSDs.

I wish my AC vents had money in them... Might motivate me to clean them more...

Edit: probably worth mentioning that if you aren't planning to build your new PC this minute, the Corsair graphite 380T is another really nice mITX case that will be out sometime in August and looks like it will be a little more compact than the prodigy (plus it has a built in carry handle that is designed to be used, rather than the 'handles' on the prodigy that are purely aesthetic.
The Corsair graphite 380T looks pretty comparable to the Prodigy, it does the same PSU and Hard Drives under the horizontal motherboard shelf thing, the difference seems to be lower height and thus lower clearance on top, which might possibly cut off some tall CPU coolers, and no optical drive bay. Also it seems that the PSU length is still limited to 160mm like the Prodigy, you would think they could make it a cm or two longer and give it more room. And no mention so far on whether than front 140mm fan is filtered or not. No side window too.

It can't compare to the mATX Prodigy-alikes like the Xigmatek Aquilla so far, so I would still make that my first pick unless you really need the space, but it's good to give Bitfenix more competition.

Cardboard Box A posted:

The real mATX version of the Prodigy is the Xigmatek Aquila

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815040

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-case-ccd14abwu01

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ftXLrH (PC Part Picker user build says the motherboard cutout is placed wrong, like it's placed for a mini-ITX instead of a MicroATX board, but that it's not a big deal?)

And/or the Aerocool Dead Silence Cube if you don't want handles (and more quiet but less airflow and no front fan filter)

http://www.amazon.com/AeroCool-MicroATX-Cases-DS-Cube-Black/dp/B00G3TVEH0

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aerocool-case-dscube

http://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/aerocool-case-dscube

EDIT: BEATEN

The Lord Bude posted:

The xigmatek case is decent - it seems to correct a couple of issues I have with the prodigy (wobbly feet, cheapness in the build quality) but it lacks the side panel ventilation that makes the prodigy so superb at cooling both cpu and gpu. The DS Cube doesn't have dust filters over the intake fan which is a dealbreaker to me.
Yeah, that's why I would consider the Xigmatek over the Aerocool DS too.

Since you have the case, did you have any problems with the backplate cutout like the PCPartPicker user described? http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ftXLrH

Rawrbomb posted:

Why would you use fraps to record video when stuff like OBS is available freely?
EXACTLY!

FRAPS somehow still has all the mindshare since it's the oldest recording program, but it's really sad and terrible in this day and age. Hopefully now that every new videocard from ATI and NVIDIA includes built-in recording software it can finally be forgotten.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Schmetterling posted:

My parts arrived! Unfortunately I can't work on building it until tomorrow evening. What's a good guide for someone who's never connected parts inside a computer before? I think I'm pretty sure what goes where, but something I can look at for help if needed would be good.

Also, my bf has expressed interest in inheriting my old computer. Unfortunately I had planned to use the psu in the new one. I guess I have a couple of days to try researching prices to see whether I should leave the current one where it is and get a new one for myself, or transfer the current one over and buy a cheap one for him.

How old is the old PSU? If it's over 4 years get a new one for your new PC, gently caress having the old one messing up your new components.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Unlucky7 posted:

I'd do the driver thing. I've had to do it enough times this year to see pretty dramatic improvements by correctly reinstalling drivers.

That being said, I'd return it and price match a 280x if you can. That'll probably take you to the level you'd like for the $

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Cardboard Box A posted:

FRAPS somehow still has all the mindshare since it's the oldest recording program, but it's really sad and terrible in this day and age. Hopefully now that every new videocard from ATI and NVIDIA includes built-in recording software it can finally be forgotten.

Fraps/Dxtory are still relevant because they can produce lossless footage, meanwhile stuff like Shadowplay is lossy. It doesn't matter for 99% of people who just want to record footage and throw it on youtube, but they definitely have a place still.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

With my current psu kicking the bucket I'm thinking it's time to just break down and try to get a whole upgrade for my ancient athlon system. I can't really go above 500 dollars so I'm planning to keep using my 6770 HD gpu, my hard drives, and my Intel wireless adapter. The rest of my poo poo is pretty much done, my RAM is DDR2 still and nothing else can really carry over that I can think of. Any room for improvement or trimming down money if it's being spent wastefully, or have I pretty much got it? And if any of these parts are known to be problematic, please do correct my mistakes. No Microcenters or anything fancy like that for me to shop at for sweet deals sadly.
-------------

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $460.62

Mischievous Mink fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 7, 2014

Konlik
Oct 14, 2012
I'm looking to buy in the next couple of days.

This build is about what I'm looking to spend but there is a little wiggle room, if you think there are improvements to be made.

Planning on a dual monitor set-up with a 1080p monitor for web browsing and gaming, alongside a full HD TV for XBMC.

I picked the 4690K as it was only £5 more expensive than the 4690. I might also dabble in over clocking it somewhere down the line.

I am really unsure on the motherboard as a lot of the quick picks in the OP list are not available here.

I also wasn't sure on the manufacturer of the video card.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£157.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£68.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.70 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£175.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.74 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.11 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £603.87

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SierraNovember posted:

Does it make much difference really? I've been eying up the Asus version: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICUGOP0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_16xUtb15KCA3F5PX good choice?

If your power supply supports the extra power draw, and has the connector, then there is no reason not to get one that needs more power.... It would probably overclock a fair bit further. Some of those 750ti variants can be pushed to 7850 level of performance.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

I'm building a new computer for gaming and some video editing, how does this build look?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($204.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.38 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($122.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1176.32

I already have a video card,a copy of Windows, an optical drive, and a PSU. The memory listed is what is in my current pc, I would just be moving it over assuming there are no compatibility issues with the rest of the build. Does it look alright, or is there something I'm still missing?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Burger McAngus posted:

I'm building a new computer for gaming and some video editing, how does this build look?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($204.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.38 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($122.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1176.32

I already have a video card,a copy of Windows, an optical drive, and a PSU. The memory listed is what is in my current pc, I would just be moving it over assuming there are no compatibility issues with the rest of the build. Does it look alright, or is there something I'm still missing?

How old is your PSU, and what is it? If it's close to the end of the warranty period you should replace it.

The Nanoxia DS1 is a similar silence oriented Case to the Fractal Design Define, except much better at both cooling, and not making noise.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

How old is your PSU, and what is it? If it's close to the end of the warranty period you should replace it.

The Nanoxia DS1 is a similar silence oriented Case to the Fractal Design Define, except much better at both cooling, and not making noise.

This is what I have, http://azzatek.com/psaz-1000pt14.html, I bought it 3 or 4 months ago.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Burger McAngus posted:

This is what I have, http://azzatek.com/psaz-1000pt14.html, I bought it 3 or 4 months ago.

Ok that should be fine (if 500w more than you needed). It is an unusually long Power supply though so check whatever case you get to make sure it can accommodate it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 7, 2014

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

MisterAlex posted:

I know this is just silly fluff, but since I now have a case with a window (the Corsair 250D), I'd like to make it look cool like this one...

But maybe a green-blue color instead of red.

I've never bought any kind of lighting, though; is it just something that plugs into the PSU with Molex or SATA connection?
Do y'all recommend any particular brands or types of lights?

A bit late but you could look into led strips instead of cold cathodes. They are a bit more complicated but also more flexible in both placement and colours, you can cut it up to length and attach it wherever you want.
Option 1: :20bux::20bux: solution. Buy a kit like this. It includes some RGB led strip and an IR remote with presets and stuff. Just wire it up like molex (4 pin) -> either soldering or just this connector, paying attention to which wire is 12v and which is ground -> remote -> led strip. Pros: all the colours you could want. Cons: you have to stash that ugly remote + its receiver somewhere in your case. Oh, and I'm linking Hitlights just because some modding people like it, all led strips are made in the same factory in China. By the way, don't buy waterproof led strips, they are the same just encased in some plastic and don't disperse light enough and look worse.
Option 2: :science: solution. Buy a led strip of the colour you want. Wire it up straight to molex (one wire to 12v, one to ground). For additional and better :science: wire it up for dimming to a fan controller like Lian Li PT-FN03 like this: molex goes to fan controller -> 3 pin fan connector comes from fan controller and goes to led strip(s). This allows you to control led brightness any time you want and doesn't require mashing an IR receiver into your case and having one more remote in your house. You can connect multiple led strips of different colours, just pay some attention to how many watts can the fan controller push through each connector (only significant if you have an enormous ATX case). If you don't like that fan controller that goes in PCI slot, many others are available for 3.5" or 5.25" slots in the front, but I personally like them hidden in the back.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Not sure where to figure this out, but I'm a little worried about interior clearance.

I picked up a Maximus VI Impact, and I wanted to pick up a Noctua CPU cooler, but I'm not sure which one I should go with as they all seem like they're too big to fit anything.

I think the two factors I need to consider are the RAM (Crucial Ballistix) and GPU (PNY GTX 770).
I've seen builds with the NH-U9B SE2 that seem to fit everything, but I was hoping I could use an NH-L12. Are there any advantages to either? Should I just stick with one over the other?

This is all in a InWin 901, but I don't think I need to worry about case clearance.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DevCore posted:

Not sure where to figure this out, but I'm a little worried about interior clearance.

I picked up a Maximus VI Impact, and I wanted to pick up a Noctua CPU cooler, but I'm not sure which one I should go with as they all seem like they're too big to fit anything.

I think the two factors I need to consider are the RAM (Crucial Ballistix) and GPU (PNY GTX 770).
I've seen builds with the NH-U9B SE2 that seem to fit everything, but I was hoping I could use an NH-L12. Are there any advantages to either? Should I just stick with one over the other?

This is all in a InWin 901, but I don't think I need to worry about case clearance.

I dont know, but if I had a small case

App13
Dec 31, 2011

How much of a bottleneck is an hd7770 in a system with a i5 4670k? A few key aspects of my build need updating (PSU, RAM, GPU, case) and I'm trying to figure out which to do first.

The psu is a non modular 600w thermaltake that is probably going to be replaced first since the case is a corsair 1000 and has no cable management at all. The RAM is old and probably lovely, the case is alright, just cheap.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

App13 posted:

How much of a bottleneck is an hd7770 in a system with a i5 4670k? A few key aspects of my build need updating (PSU, RAM, GPU, case) and I'm trying to figure out which to do first.

The psu is a non modular 600w thermaltake that is probably going to be replaced first since the case is a corsair 1000 and has no cable management at all. The RAM is old and probably lovely, the case is alright, just cheap.

It is your bottleneck for gaming for sure.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

App13 posted:

A significant one. However you should totally switch out the PSU for a new one if it's pretty dated. I wouldn't worry about your RAM unless it's like DDR3-1066 and constantly causing blue screens.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been having problems running newer games on even the lowest settings and am considering a video card upgrade. Right now I'm looking at the GTX 770, this one in particular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Do I also need to upgrade my motherboard and processor? How likely am I to experience CPU bottlenecks / performance issues with my current build?
Current Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412
Current CPU: Intel I5 760 2.8Ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

Please advise. Thanks!

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

humansuperior posted:

I've been having problems running newer games on even the lowest settings and am considering a video card upgrade. Right now I'm looking at the GTX 770, this one in particular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Do I also need to upgrade my motherboard and processor? How likely am I to experience CPU bottlenecks / performance issues with my current build?
Current Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412
Current CPU: Intel I5 760 2.8Ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

Please advise. Thanks!

It looks like the nutty 280x pricing is over, 770's are back in the running. 770's are great cards. That is a good brand.

However what card are you coming from?

• Locked thread