Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ithle01
May 28, 2013

3Romeo posted:

The best part of that thread is how the first thirty pages go from "lol Jesus this is terrible" (Episode 1) to "Okay, that was a pretty brutal/cool part" (The Thing in the Pit) to "I'm kinda starting to watch this unironically, am I okay?" (the fight with Theokoles) to "Oh holy poo poo" (literally everything afterwards).

I think everyone who watches the show goes through that. (I know I did.)

I started the show late and my first episode was the last episode of Gods of the Arena, meaning my second episode was s2e1 which had the brothel part and that last part with Varro's wife. So I pretty much went right to the 'holy poo poo' phase immediately because it was like someone asked my id what it would like to see and then just sort of did that with a little bit extra on top just for good measure.

edit: got episodes mixed up and had to go watch some Spartacus. In retrospect, should make that error more often.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The worst thing is how i can't convince my friends that Spartacus is awesome and so much better than poo poo like Game of Thrones. They are all proclaiming GoT the best show ever with the greatest storylines and think Spartacus is just dumb meaningless fun :negative:.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

The worst thing is how i can't convince my friends that Spartacus is awesome and so much better than poo poo like Game of Thrones. They are all proclaiming GoT the best show ever with the greatest storylines and think Spartacus is just dumb meaningless fun :negative:.

Uhh, it really isn't. Spartacus and Game of Thrones are both loving great, but in entirely different ways, with Spartacus being far more broad and unsubtle and hammy (all of which are done awesomely).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's alright take solace in the fact, that they were morons. It helps.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, Game of Thrones is top tier TV, even though it's starting to show some flaws/issues as the narrative gets more and more spread out. I can see if you said True Blood or Walking Dead or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Darko posted:

Yeah, Game of Thrones is top tier TV, even though it's starting to show some flaws/issues as the narrative gets more and more spread out. I can see if you said True Blood or Walking Dead or something.

If Game of Thrones was half as tightly paced as Spartacus was it would be the best show that ever was but it isn't, not by a long shot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Of course GoT isn't as tightly paced as Spartacus, they're completely different shows. You're comparing the pacing of a big, sprawling epic that's based on a fantasy book series and is telling the story of dozens of characters across an entire world to a show about a handful of gladiators where the showrunners decided to be as ridiculous and over the top as possible early on. They're both fantastic shows and it's kind of silly to directly compare the two considering they have almost nothing in common.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

Of course GoT isn't as tightly paced as Spartacus, they're completely different shows. You're comparing the pacing of a big, sprawling epic that's based on a fantasy book series and is telling the story of dozens of characters across an entire world to a show about a handful of gladiators where the showrunners decided to be as ridiculous and over the top as possible early on. They're both fantastic shows and it's kind of silly to directly compare the two considering they have almost nothing in common.

GoT gets more convoluted with a focus on dorky world building and being weighed down by the piles of different random subplots leading to a somewhat glacier like pace for everything. Spartacus by contrast builds up momentum and doesn't stop until the end.

The scaling is much better in Spartacus while Game of Thrones starts to drag the farther it gets into the epic war overall plotline and you got bored of seeing yet another war council scene that somehow is a substitute for showing a actual visceral battle.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

epic war overall plotline and you got bored of seeing yet another war council scene that somehow is a substitute for showing a actual visceral battle.

I really think you're mis-judging what type of story GoT is supposed to be.

Spartacus and GoT are both top tier best show ever material, but they're also very different.

It's like comparing The Wire and The Shield. They're both great cop shows with awesome writing, characters, and plots but one has meth-heads jumping out of windows and drive-by shootouts every other episode, and the other has entire arcs about being able to get the right paperwork to authorize pre-surveillance to maybe get a wire-tap approval six-months down the line.

While Spartacus and GoT are both superficially about people with swords in a culture with a lot of war and violence, they approach those ideas very differently.

EDIT: To use a video game example, Spartacus is Dynasty Warriors while GoT is Crusader Kings 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Game of Thrones has great stuff but also a lot of loving boring stories like everything with Daenerys right now and everything with Jon Snow. gently caress the north and everything up there it's boring as gently caress. Spartacus lays a Fartacus on Game of Thrones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PootieTang posted:

I really think you're mis-judging what type of story GoT is supposed to be.

Somehow the books show actual battle scenes while the show somehow expects the viewer to buy the idea that characters like Robb Snow are baddass despite never being seen in battle/doing anything heroic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jupiters Cock!

GoT got about 2 dozen threads already

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can I switch my bet?

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

etalian posted:

Somehow the books show actual battle scenes while the show somehow expects the viewer to buy the idea that characters like Robb Snow are baddass despite never being seen in battle/doing anything heroic.

My favorite part of GoT was having a giant army of ice zombies invading as a season-ending cliffhanger, and then resolving that at the start of the next season by playing some "CLANG CLANG CLANG" noises over a black screen and then having the characters say "Man, that sure was an intense battle scene! :downs:"

It is a very good show that I think has improved a lot from the first season (which I wasn't entirely sold on), but I can't always convince myself that the lack of action is due to a generally slower pace/focus rather than budget constraints. It's true that the focus of the show is shifting allegiances and court intrigue (which it does very well), but there are definitely action elements that fall a bit flat.

Spartacus also had some budget constraints to work with, but the tone of the show meant that it could approach them a lot differently. I can't decide if GoT showing the viewer that Robb Stark is a badass by having a Crixesque montage of him screaming in front of a fire would be awesome or terrible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody cares, stfu about it already

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

Robb Snow? I don't remember that character.

If you mean Robb Stark he isn't really that badass in either the show or the book, but that's getting into spoiler territory. And again, GoT isn't trying to make you think of the characters as badass, hence the Wire/Shield comparison. Is it really so hard to understand that not every show is trying to do the exact same thing?

Plus Robb was in no battle scenes in the books or the show. I think the only battle scene the book has that the show doesn't is the one in the first season that Tyrion sleeps through in the show, and even then he gets knocked out anyway after killing like two guys and a horse.

That and

Rocksicles posted:

nobody cares, stfu about it already

I mean what are you really going for here? If you want to talk about GoT (especially poo poo-talking about it) go do it in the GoT thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shut up about GoT.

That's actually a great scene in hindsight, hinting at Agron's interest in men. The show is full of neat little tidbits like that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mu Zeta posted:

Game of Thrones has great stuff but also a lot of loving boring stories like everything with Daenerys right now and everything with Jon Snow. gently caress the north and everything up there it's boring as gently caress. Spartacus lays a Fartacus on Game of Thrones.
I think if you can combine both of the good stuff from both shows you would get an awesome Trojan Cycle series. And now I'm sad that this will never happen :smith:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Torrannor posted:

That's actually a great scene in hindsight, hinting at Agron's interest in men. The show is full of neat little tidbits like that.

I somehow never made that connection. :facepalm:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Shut up about GoT.

I'm curious how they will make the nude bath Segovax vs Crixus wrestling scene family friendly.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I watched The Thing in the Pit while :350: for the first time in over a year and by the end I was sweating and terrified

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

etalian posted:

I'm curious how they will make the nude bath Segovax vs Crixus wrestling scene family friendly.

Fade to black and play CLANG CLANG over it.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Pron on VHS posted:

I watched The Thing in the Pit while :350: for the first time in over a year and by the end I was sweating and terrified

:350: Spartacus is best Spartacus. It even makes the first few eps of season one entertaining!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I was thinking about a rewatch, since I hadn't seen the show since it went off the air last year. I think I will fire up that thread while I do my rewatch, thanks for that.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fade to black and play CLANG CLANG over it.

I'd love to know what's clanging in this scenario.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Skrill.exe posted:

I'd love to know what's clanging in this scenario.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

The Pit was pretty much the "drat this show owns" moment for everyone.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Like, jewelry? How cosmopolitan.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Skrill.exe posted:

Like, jewelry? How cosmopolitan.

It's all the rage.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

The gods that rammed cock in rear end? They borrowed his.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spartacus owns since the whole season directly avoids the chosen one/genius hero cliche.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
The recent activity in this thread has inspired me to do a rewatch of the show. I forgot how good season 1 was: great characterization, tight plotting, no plots that go anywhere, etc.

Also, does anyone have a gif of Lucretia's reaction to Gannicus' last kill in GoA?

The box set is tempting but the price spreads cheek and rams cock in rear end :(

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gaussian posted:

The box set is tempting but the price spreads cheeks and rams cock in rear end :(

Aaaaaaand change thread title to this.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
About time we got a title change.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Any aussies know where I can pick this up on blue ray at a reasonable price? Definitely time for a re-watch.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappers posted:

Any aussies know where I can pick this up on blue ray at a reasonable price? Definitely time for a re-watch.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/box-sets-tv-blu-ray/spartacus-1-4-the-complete-collection-blu-ray

AU$65.99 for the whole series, Region B meaning it'll play in any Aussie player. Though the site doesn't work for me right now, dunno if that's only on my end.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Any idea how big the statue is and any new special features not released previously?

I already have all the blurays and I'm still tempted but I'd really have to have a good reason to take the plunge at that price.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

http://www.ozgameshop.com/box-sets-tv-blu-ray/spartacus-1-4-the-complete-collection-blu-ray

AU$65.99 for the whole series, Region B meaning it'll play in any Aussie player. Though the site doesn't work for me right now, dunno if that's only on my end.

Sold! Thanks. Link is working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappers posted:

Sold! Thanks. Link is working fine.

Yeah, it started working fine for me too like a minute after I made that post. It's a nice price for the whole series - really underlines what you'd be paying for that statue.

• Locked thread