Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use my phone to navigate while driving the ambulance, so this is amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I had a power nap under a third gen Firebird at the junkyard one time. I was pulling the rear axle for my Camaro because it had a posi and the non-lovely disc brakes, but I had also been drinking heavily the previous night and hadn't slept at all so I wasn't exactly motivated to remove it quickly.
Woke up an hour later and panicked when I realized my tool bag was on the passenger's seat, luckily it was still there intact.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

So this morning I discovered https://maps.google.com/locationhistory. You can look at everywhere you've been if you use pretty much any Google service on your phone. There's even a play button on the bottom left corner which really should be accompanied with Indiana Jones music. I spent an hour and made a map of everywhere I've been in the last 12 months with the data:

http://imgur.com/gallery/L79qf/
Which would be pretty sweet for road trips/trip reports, no?

Its creepy, but I also think its really neat in a way...

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I'm watching Man of Steel against my better judgment (always thought Superman was hokey) and there is some seriously unsubtle conservative Christian messaging going on. The evil aliens societal problems derive from birth control and they praise evolution? Come on...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cooked with charcoal for the first time today! It owned!

Also, today's high was 85F. In July. In the South. (not complaining) This weekend has been unadulterated awesome.

blk posted:

So I'm watching Man of Steel against my better judgment (always thought Superman was hokey) and there is some seriously unsubtle conservative Christian messaging going on. The evil aliens societal problems derive from birth control and they praise evolution? Come on...

Since Rhyno doesn't want to talk about the difficulties of writing for a "perfect" character such as Superman, do you mind picking up the slack?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I know we've got some ACVW fans here, have you all checked today's blipshift shirt?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Small world. Walked into the Valero (c-store) by the house to get beer after work. Saw another PH driver in there. Asked which one he worked at - turns out he works for my old GM, and his former GM is now my assistant manager (both stores are 10+ miles from this Valero and in different cities).

Asked how I liked Patel, I scowled. He laughed, I asked how he liked John, he said he's a great manager.

Thinking of transferring now.

Geirskogul posted:

I use my phone to navigate while driving the ambulance, so this is amazing!

I do the same for delivery. Looked up the busiest shift I've ever worked at this store - 15 hour shift, roads were nothing but ice that day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

What? There was? Who cares, only watched it for a rather surprsingly good take on Superman smashing poo poo up. Get a building dropped on him? Shrug and get up. Take a superhuge punch that would dent an island? Throw one back that would destroy said island. Fart wrong and he would blow up a town. I'm sure it didnt gel with something golden age NERD RAAAAAAGE SUPERMAN DOES NOT KILL AGGGH or some bullshit that only nerds that need to get laid care about but MoS was the first time I think that Superman and his powers were shown that allowed suspension of disbelief to work, as in yeah of course no one can be powered by the sun like that BUT if it was possible .... well that was a pretty good representation.

Yeah sure, bunch of other poo poo didnt work but eh. Superman punched a guy through a building. Was anyone really going to see that moive for anything else?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pulled into a gas station earlier, saw a guy getting into a drat near mint (aside from clearcoat) 92 Accord EX. 5 speed, in my favorite color for the 90-93 Accord (teal). Asked him how many miles...

"376,000"
:stare:

Original engine, original transmission, original owner, only done the usual stuff (alternator, CV joints, clutch, normal maintenance). Engine was idling, sounded brand new with none of the typical clacking valvetrain you typically hear on a high mileage Honda. Interior looked drat near new, he claimed everything (including the a/c) worked like new.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Pulled into a gas station earlier, saw a guy getting into a drat near mint (aside from clearcoat) 92 Accord EX. 5 speed, in my favorite color for the 90-93 Accord (teal). Asked him how many miles...

"376,000"

Original engine, original transmission, original owner, only done the usual stuff (alternator, CV joints, clutch, normal maintenance). Engine was idling, sounded brand new with none of the typical clacking valvetrain you typically hear on a high mileage Honda. Interior looked drat near new, he claimed everything (including the a/c) worked like new.

gently caress that guy, he's living my dream. My lovely plebian dream :(

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
90s Hondas can last forever if proper maintenance is done from the beginning. And it honestly saddens me every time I see a civic or accord driven with a loud exhaust and multi-colored body panels. I saw a near mint crx drive past me today at a stop light followed by two coffee can exhaust civics and I cringed at the thought of the poor crx's future :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Google tracking your movement, why am I not surprised. Anyway here's my last months activity.

Need to go buy another new SIM card tomorrow. Can't refill this pre-paid without linking a German bank account and that is not going to happen. Just need another 2 weeks of service and a plan that will let me self register or someone that will accept my hotel address when setting up the account.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

:tinfoil:

This is pretty spooky.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
"You have no location history". Guess it's a good thing I keep GPS off on my phone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, bought the blipshift shirt.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"376,000"

My friend had a 90 or so with a really nice leather interior and all that and every time I'd see it it would have new dents. I'd ask where they came from and he said he didn't know. :doh: Then he fell asleep and wedged the car in an underpass kinda shaped like this > . I was honestly shocked when I saw it after. I know that car saved his life. It was literally twisted. If it was brand new it would have been totalled. And the thing still loving ran and all the doors closed.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Sockington posted:

I went and dusted off the jorts.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Nws that, you sexy beast :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Devyl posted:

90s Hondas can last forever if proper maintenance is done from the beginning. And it honestly saddens me every time I see a civic or accord driven with a loud exhaust and multi-colored body panels. I saw a near mint crx drive past me today at a stop light followed by two coffee can exhaust civics and I cringed at the thought of the poor crx's future :(

I would love to get my hands on that Accord, to be honest. Get a straight hood on it, give it a new paint job, and :smug: MY ACCORD HAS ALMOST 400K all day. The interior looked like it only needed the upholstery cleaned, I didn't see any rips. And being a 92, it didn't have those horrible electric seatbelts. Even had (one) airbag!

CharlesM posted:

My friend had a 90 or so with a really nice leather interior and all that and every time I'd see it it would have new dents. I'd ask where they came from and he said he didn't know. :doh: Then he fell asleep and wedged the car in an underpass kinda shaped like this > . I was honestly shocked when I saw it after. I know that car saved his life. It was literally twisted. If it was brand new it would have been totalled. And the thing still loving ran and all the doors closed.

This was a cloth interior; I don't think they did leather on the Accord outside of the SE models (which were 85, 89, and 93, IIRC) prior to 1994 - after 93 I think you could order them with leather on the EX.

I played with an 18 wheeler in a 95 Civic once. The car was a pretzel afterwards, but it still drove (kinda sideways, holding the steering wheel past upside down, and the PS pump was one with the LF frame rail), and... the doors still opened and closed like perfectly, still locked/unlocked fine... if you ignored the sound of broken glass in the drivers door. The door and B pillar were pushed in so far that the seat was pushed into the center console, and I had a huge bruise on my hip. But the fucker still drove, door still opened, and I escaped with whiplash and some cuts.

It was a salvage title; totaled with 39k, friend got it with 40k, I got it from him with 195k (with a dead clutch and battery), totaled (again) at 206k. Massive chunks of bondo fell off during the accident, but I still can't believe I walked (and drove) away from that.

Trunk wouldn't close, sunroof shattered, both front and rear windows were spiderwebbed, and the hood had to be pried open. But I drove it home, drove it around for a couple of weeks, and finally sold it to some kid who needed an engine for $200.

The number of times I've seen that look... :allears: (just not on you)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't remember the exact year but it was fourth gen. Looking on Wikipedia it couldn't be an SE as it was black with ivory interior. I wa sad cause it was once a really nice example but fortunately there are still many around. But the biggest thing is when I saw it I was so happy he was okay cause it was pretty messed up and I don't even think he realized it cause on the phone he didnt make it sound like a big deal.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I would love to get my hands on that Accord, to be honest. Get a straight hood on it, give it a new paint job, and :smug: MY ACCORD HAS ALMOST 400K all day. The interior looked like it only needed the upholstery cleaned, I didn't see any rips. And being a 92, it didn't have those horrible electric seatbelts. Even had (one) airbag!

This was a cloth interior; I don't think they did leather on the Accord outside of the SE models (which were 85, 89, and 93, IIRC) prior to 1994 - after 93 I think you could order them with leather on the EX.

I played with an 18 wheeler in a 95 Civic once. The car was a pretzel afterwards, but it still drove (kinda sideways, holding the steering wheel past upside down, and the PS pump was one with the LF frame rail), and... the doors still opened and closed like perfectly, still locked/unlocked fine... if you ignored the sound of broken glass in the drivers door. The door and B pillar were pushed in so far that the seat was pushed into the center console, and I had a huge bruise on my hip. But the fucker still drove, door still opened, and I escaped with whiplash and some cuts.

It was a salvage title; totaled with 39k, friend got it with 40k, I got it from him with 195k (with a dead clutch and battery), totaled (again) at 206k. Massive chunks of bondo fell off during the accident, but I still can't believe I walked (and drove) away from that.

Trunk wouldn't close, sunroof shattered, both front and rear windows were spiderwebbed, and the hood had to be pried open. But I drove it home, drove it around for a couple of weeks, and finally sold it to some kid who needed an engine for $200.

The number of times I've seen that look... :allears: (just not on you)

I feel your Honda knowledge is endless sometimes.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend used to have a '92 Honda Civic. It was pretty rusted out but it ran like a champ. He wrecked it last year unfortunately. It had a certain charm about it even if it was pretty basic.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Devyl posted:

"You have no location history". Guess it's a good thing I keep GPS off on my phone.

Too bad it probably uses Cell towers instead of GPS.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I have one confused boner.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

I have one confused boner.

I have two confused boners, which is concerning as I'm both straight and have only one penis.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I have two confused boners, which is concerning as I'm both straight and have only one penis.

Get that whitworth wrench out of your pants.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

Get that whitworth wrench out of your pants.

Is that your standard pick up line, or am I just special?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What's the general opinion on EBC, specifically the Greenstuff 6000 line? I had my first real drive in the Sportage yesterday and the brakes are clearly not up to the task of stopping this prick as quickly as I'd like it to with 31x10.50s on it. It seems like these pads are pretty much the only option I've got to upgrade without major fab work but I'm super leary on these :pcgaming: "performance" brake companies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tommychu posted:

What's the general opinion on EBC, specifically the Greenstuff 6000 line? I had my first real drive in the Sportage yesterday and the brakes are clearly not up to the task of stopping this prick as quickly as I'd like it to with 31x10.50s on it. It seems like these pads are pretty much the only option I've got to upgrade without major fab work but I'm super leary on these :pcgaming: "performance" brake companies.

I was a big fan of the Axxis/Repco/whatever they are now "Ultimate Ceramic" pads. I used them on probably a dozen cars with nothing but good results. A few years ago my brother had a Mazda 3, and the Ultimate Ceramics weren't available for it, so I used a set of Green Stuff... they sucked. Maybe good for quasi-track pads, but for DD they lacked initial/cold bite and squealed like loving crazy all the time.

I've got a set of Hawks on my BMW and they feel very similar to the Ultimate Ceramics with good initial bite, more when you need it and minimal dusting.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah as far as I can tell Hawk doesn't make anything for my application, nor does Axxis. Though I just found out Raybestos does make ATD-series front brakes for this thing. I'm quite impressed with the ATDs on the Vibe, but that car is sitting on 4% larger than stock diameter tires and doesn't have any major factors (beyond my excessive fast-food consumption and slight packrat tendencies) increasing the weight, the Kia is on a 20% larger than stock tire and is getting some rather heavy bumpers and an '80s-era Ramsey winch (along with all the gear I'll be packing).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you're willing to splash out a bit more, most of the 'big' brake companies will make you a set of brake pads for your specific application. Then you can spec whatever insane compound you want.

The specs aren't too onerous to capture on your own, either: http://porterfield-brakes.com/categories/shop/Custom+Brake+Pads.html

I have no idea what the price would be, but a phone call's cheap.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Centric makes an assortment of decent pads. 105.xxxxx is the standard posi-quiet which are pretty good, 301.xxxxx is the new premium ceramic, and 309 is stoptech street performance. You'll have to look up your car on the site to see what they make and what the part numbers are.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, so what's the best way to clean out a funky plastic master cylinder reservoir? Obviously I'd like something that will eat old brake fluid gunk but not chew through the plastic. I've got a jug of acetone, but I'm kind of leery about that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ok, so what's the best way to clean out a funky plastic master cylinder reservoir? Obviously I'd like something that will eat old brake fluid gunk but not chew through the plastic. I've got a jug of acetone, but I'm kind of leery about that.

Soap and water then dry thoroughly? I always had pretty good luck with that. Brake fluid washes away great with water so maybe a tooth brush or something for the stubborn stuff.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Soap and water then dry thoroughly? I always had pretty good luck with that. Brake fluid washes away great with water so maybe a tooth brush or something for the stubborn stuff.

Just kinda slosh it around? No real room to get a brush in there with all the baffling and chamber and whatnot in there. I read somewhere that some OEMs will use denatured alcohol to clean and flush. I may pick up a can and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I trash my reservoir and go pick another one at the scrapyard for :10bux:.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just kinda slosh it around? No real room to get a brush in there with all the baffling and chamber and whatnot in there. I read somewhere that some OEMs will use denatured alcohol to clean and flush. I may pick up a can and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I trash my reservoir and go pick another one at the scrapyard for :10bux:.

Rice or something similar is pretty useful for cleaning things like this out, assuming you have it off the car and can shake it around.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This is what a saturday of goon junkyard looks like.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The last month:

January was more interesting:

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 6, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell Hawk doesn't make anything for my application, nor does Axxis. Though I just found out Raybestos does make ATD-series front brakes for this thing. I'm quite impressed with the ATDs on the Vibe, but that car is sitting on 4% larger than stock diameter tires and doesn't have any major factors (beyond my excessive fast-food consumption and slight packrat tendencies) increasing the weight, the Kia is on a 20% larger than stock tire and is getting some rather heavy bumpers and an '80s-era Ramsey winch (along with all the gear I'll be packing).

Diameter or section width? Diameter is gonna have no appreciable effect on braking performance (unless you do it to fit bigger brakes but that's its own thing). Or do you just mean the increased rotating mass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The kind of brakleen I use is mostly acetone so I would assume it is fine.

• Locked thread