Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

sell them to the first .ru email address to respond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

yeah we tried that and they're old as ball, like they're not even phone snapped.

admin wants me to drill through them but erm I don't think that's a great idea

same thing you should do with every old phone
wipe them from the handheld and donate them to a women's shelter

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ahmeni posted:

same thing you should do with every old phone
wipe them from the handheld and donate them to a women's shelter

u monster

those women have suffered enough

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

u monster

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
just drill a hole through the memory :confused:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cold on a Cob posted:

u monster

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FrozenVent posted:

hey what's the proper way to destroy blackberries to make sure the data isn't too recoverable?

we have a pile at work that I've been tasked with disposing off

they're really loving old too

run the secure delete function from the security menu.

it does a complete overwrite of the device storage, which is why it take like 20 minutes to run.

then donate them to the women's shelter, you monster.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
yeah I don't think these things will even turn on, we're talking those old things with a screen the size of a credit card if that and a case the size of a slice of bread, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

like I wouldn't give them to a women's shelter because heir abusive husband could beat them to death with the things and then I'd feel bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

run the secure delete function from the security menu.

it does a complete overwrite of the device storage, which is why it take like 20 minutes to run.

lol wtf is this poo poo? why doesn't it just throw away the encryption keys?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

lol wtf is this poo poo? why doesn't it just throw away the encryption keys?

because blackberry. it's "secure"

also, i'm not sure the old ones had encrypted storage

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

u monster

A++ would quote again

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

infernal machines posted:

because blackberry. it's "secure"

also, i'm not sure the old ones had encrypted storage

yeah wasn't the iphone 3gs the first one to actually have that as opposed to a 7 pass overwrite

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~Coxy posted:

yeah wasn't the iphone 3gs the first one to actually have that as opposed to a 7 pass overwrite

i think so.

i just looked it up, even now BB doesn't encrypt storage unless you force it to with a device policy.

real fuckin' secure guys

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~Coxy posted:

All you need on flash memory is a single zero pass

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

All you need on flash memory is a single zero pass

spinners hard drives too

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how the stock is worth anything is beyond me

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/12/02/blackberry-us-market-share-falls-below-1-hits-zero-in-china/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Analysts and shareholders love cost cutting actions. They just sold their German R&D division to VW

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chen said BlackBerry is “here to stay,”

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Caged posted:

Chen said BlackBerry is “here to stay,”

he clearly meant the shrub he's growing in the back yard. maybe he'll bake a pie.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bonzo posted:

Analysts and shareholders love cost cutting actions. They just sold their German R&D division to VW

this will be recorded as earnings and people will clap

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Caged posted:

Chen said BlackBerry is “here to stay, on your couch for a while, just a couple of weeks, a month at the most, until it sorts some things out and finds itself, you know?”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"We understand the realities of the enterprise mobility market better than anyone"

this is arguable

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BlackBerry’s square-screened phone to free us from our “rectangular world”

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/blackberrys-square-screened-phone-to-free-us-from-our-rectangular-world/

quote:

One could argue that this is the idealized design for a touchscreen phone, arrived at after years of research and development and even more years of booming sales. BlackBerry would argue that all phones look like this because innovation is dead.

quote:

The Passport is a play for BlackBerry's "traditional" work-oriented user base, where the earlier BlackBerry Z10 and Z30 were efforts to break into the post-iPhone consumer smartphone space. Though the Passport may well be preferable for spreadsheets and word processing, that square screen will be much less useful for widescreen movies, and its wide, blocky design will entirely prohibit one-handed use.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/07/passport-design/

quote:

It’s Hip to be Square

So I guess Huey Lewis will be the new V.P. of design?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bonzo posted:

BlackBerry’s square-screened phone to free us from our “rectangular world”

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/blackberrys-square-screened-phone-to-free-us-from-our-rectangular-world/

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/07/passport-design/

So I guess Huey Lewis will be the new V.P. of design?
later:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

not my original insight, but lol at showing off a spreadsheet program on a hardware-keyboarded device with no dedicated number keys

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lol at using a phone for anything spreadsheet

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This is a phablet for "professional" users.

As it is a BB device, it is not NSA ready.

Not to be compared to iPhones and Androids as it marches to its own beat.

Forget about trying to comparing it to iPhones, Androids, Windows phones as it merely suggests that you cannot think out of the circles and rectangles.

Unless you have been keeping up with Advance Design ideas, Z10, Q10, Z30 have all won Red Dot design awards.

I am quite certain that the Passport will be another winner of the Red Dot Design award, in time to come.

You want to spend time flipping phones side ways? Then this phablet is not for you!

If you are a busy lawyer, accountant, stock broker, doctor, journalist, engineer, VIP or another professional, this phablet will be worth a look.

If all you do is text, chat, and kill time on social media, this phone is not for you as you definitely cannot walk swinging one arm and type at the same time with it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
how the passport was designed

:butt:"hey lets make another phone with a keyboard!"

:downs:"but its going to look stupid when looking at a picture or video in landscape, which 99% of smartphones users do everyday"

:butt:"make the screen square and then there is no reason to ever use landscape and we'll save on development!"

:downs:"makes sense to me!"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

THC posted:

This is a phablet for "professional" users.

As it is a BB device, it is not NSA ready.

Not to be compared to iPhones and Androids as it marches to its own beat.

Forget about trying to comparing it to iPhones, Androids, Windows phones as it merely suggests that you cannot think out of the circles and rectangles.

Unless you have been keeping up with Advance Design ideas, Z10, Q10, Z30 have all won Red Dot design awards.

I am quite certain that the Passport will be another winner of the Red Dot Design award, in time to come.

You want to spend time flipping phones side ways? Then this phablet is not for you!

If you are a busy lawyer, accountant, stock broker, doctor, journalist, engineer, VIP or another professional, this phablet will be worth a look.

If all you do is text, chat, and kill time on social media, this phone is not for you as you definitely cannot walk swinging one arm and type at the same time with it.

yeah

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Perplx posted:

how the passport was designed

:butt: *shits on a plate*

:downs:"makes sense to me!"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you want to use this portable device for portable device things
you want to type numbers or punctuation
you want to run things other than toy apps for clowns

this device isn't for you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

loving

l
o
l

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

is it called passport to conjure up thoughts of the pure hell on earth that is an airport?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ford chat

quote:

"Ford broke things, got into fights with other residents," said one source with knowledge of the mayor's time in rehab at the resort-turned-drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in Muskoka.

"Ford stopped people from sharing their stories, which is key to a successful rehab experience," said another source. "Other residents felt intimidated. They felt he was a bully. He was always saying he did not belong there."

In the hallways and common areas, Ford argued, pushed and shoved other patients who were angry that Ford had "brought his circus with him," sources said.

they think he was still using drugs and alcohol as well.

EDIT: Rob Ford stays seated during World Pride standing ovation; Doug triggers ruckus at council

quote:

The spat started during debate over a recommendation from Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper, who suggested council ask the mayor to apologize for making inaccurate comments in robocalls against Councillor Paul Ainslie .

“I don’t know if you don’t understand English” Doug Ford said to Speaker Frances Nunziata when she demanded he retract and apologize for comments he made to Councillor Shelley Carroll .

The Carroll comment brought Councillor Maria Augimeri to her feet demanding that the comment be retracted.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 9, 2014

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wrong candachat thread dude

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
he was also totally loving that one lady who got busted driving his car. they would go parking

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
free us from our rectangular world? a square is a rectangle gj idiots

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wow, a keyboard with half the characters i want to type so every sentence needs the on screen keyboard bringing up, covering more of the screen. and the only trade off is a huge device that doesnt really count as a phone, has a hardware keyboard permanently taking up space and no developers are interested in supporting it?

where do i sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the keyboard is touch sensitive as well as having moving keys, so i guess you can lightly do palm graffiti on your keyboard for punctuation

• Locked thread