Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I made an improved version of the "map".

For some reason, Denmark is just good enough to be considered an "advanced society", A Buttery Pastry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Torrannor posted:

For some reason, Denmark is just good enough to be considered an "advanced society", A Buttery Pastry.

without him it would be left of zimbabwe

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Block is the proper German spelling of bloc, could be a German who made it. As for the Russia voting thing, that had decreased dramatically in this year's Eurovision, even though Russia sent two beautiful, blond, barely legal twin girls to the contest. Seems like Putin hasn't gained any friends with his Crimea adventure.

Eh, the German spelling is just 'Block', 'bloc' is the French spelling.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

I couldn't very well have only one country in the Advanced societies group, could I? :)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There are two Slovakias on your map, one traditional one modern.

Torrannor posted:

lol

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I also sometimes confuse Belgium with Slovakia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

There are two Slovakias on your map, one traditional one modern.
Slovakia and Belgium are basically the same country.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Slovakia and Belgium are basically the same country.

USA not bottom left, voted 1.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I found that hilarious actually

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

3peat posted:

I found that hilarious actually

Yeah, it was a joke and I see your point. I'm kinda confused though, by what measure could Romania possibly be two stripes more reactionary than loving Serbia or Bulgaria? And somehow worse than Moldova?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

USA not bottom left, voted 1.

Ah yes because Americans don't put self-expression before survival?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is revenge for all those pro-Romanian maps.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I see that the Magyar culture has been deemed too alien to chart on this scale. Albania's missing too. And apparently Cyprus is an Asian country ???

e: and Portugal isn't there either. What the gently caress is even going on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I see that the Magyar culture has been deemed too alien to chart on this scale. Albania's missing too. And apparently Cyprus is an Asian country ???

Portugal is off the charts, dude.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BBJoey posted:

And apparently Cyprus is an Asian country ???

As was discussed a lot a bit ago, the line between Europe and Asia is arbitrary, and yeah, I usually see Cyprus counted as part of Asia.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

That seems more questionable than most continental claims, given Cyprus belongs to the EU.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BBJoey posted:

That seems more questionable than most continental claims, given Cyprus belongs to the EU.

It's because they're considered white enough.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BBJoey posted:

Look at a map and tell me why Cyprus should be part of Europe, when the nearest countries are all Asian, and the African coast is nearer than the coast of Greece. There is no doubt that it's geographically part of Asia. But for cultural reasons, it's counted as European. Which is certainly fine, but others saying it's part of Asia do have a strong argument. In the end, it's just a matter of taste.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BBJoey posted:

A lot of countries are missing. Maybe because they undermine the whole cultural connection the graphic is trying to show?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Look at a map and tell me why Cyprus should be part of Europe, when the nearest countries are all Asian, and the African coast is nearer than the coast of Greece. There is no doubt that it's geographically part of Asia. But for cultural reasons, it's counted as European. Which is certainly fine, but others saying it's part of Asia do have a strong argument. In the end, it's just a matter of taste.

Sure, but given the chart is about culture...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A lot of countries are missing. Maybe because they undermine the whole cultural connection the graphic is trying to show?

I wouldn't claim they have ulterior motives, but some of the choices on where to include are confusing. Why North Ireland, while Scotland gets tossed in with Britain? Why Moldova, while Hungary is ignored? Why Macedonia and not Albania?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I wouldn't claim they have ulterior motives, but some of the choices on where to include are confusing. Why North Ireland, while Scotland gets tossed in with Britain? Why Moldova, while Hungary is ignored? Why Macedonia and not Albania?
Maybe Scotland is too similar to England to divide them? Northern Ireland and Britain are quite far apart. Or the study just didn't cover some of these countries.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
What would happen if Sweden and Zimbabwe declared unification tomorrow?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

What would happen if Sweden and Zimbabwe declared unification tomorrow?
They would end up right in the second o of 'traditional societies'.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

IntricoInutile posted:

Business Insider loves maps.

This one might be overreaching: analyzing data and plotting countries on a "culture map."

It didn't survive the Zamzar .png to .jpg conversion well.

The bottom words are Survival Values and Self-Expression Values

Original report at http://www.businessinsider.com/inglehart-welzel-culture-map-2014-7

Belgium: less secular than Bulgaria.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Belgium: less secular than Bulgaria.
Belgium is notorious for emphasizing religiosity, national pride, respect for authority, obedience and marriage.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Racist maps, missing Austria.

3peat
May 6, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

Yeah, it was a joke and I see your point. I'm kinda confused though, by what measure could Romania possibly be two stripes more reactionary than loving Serbia or Bulgaria? And somehow worse than Moldova?

I assume it's because of those opinion polls where Romania comes out as extremely religious, and because we have a lot of churches (they're many but empty). The problem is that being "religious" in Romania (and I assume in other eastern european orthodox countries) means that you do some fasting if you remember to, maybe you go to church at christmas and easter, you do the cross sign from time to time and you eat the traditional food for whatever holiday. The talk about religion here is pretty much just when you're supposed to really fast, when you should eat fish during a fast, what priest sings the best at weddings, etc; it's just a mix of tradition and superstition, plus a ton of hypocrisy.
If you start to talk about actual religion stuff like Jesus, the bible, etc people will think you're weird and avoid you; this happens to the converts to those weird american cults like adventists, evangelists, etc, they're the ones that tend to talk a lot about those things and as a result they're seen kinda as mentally ill or strange at best, and avoided; there's a general term for them, "pocaiti" (the repented ones) which by now is like a slur word. And for example, in my region we have a big tatar/turkish minority, and if you marry a tatar girl your parents will be way more accepting than if you marry a "pocait", since muslim tatars are way more similar to orthodox romanians in their casual approach to religion than converts to those cults. I even know mixed families where they follow both religions in the sense they celebrate both christmas and eid/ramadan, eat both pasca and baclava/suberec, etc.

Anyway, in terms of being socially conservative and tolerant towards gays or other minorities Romania is definitely better than the likes of Moldova, Russia, Ukraine or even Poland (abortions for everybody over here! most per capita in europe lol) but there's still a long way to go before we reach western europe. I would say some stuff about the romanian orthodox church and what a terrible organization of thieves and crooks it is, but am too lazy to type so many words and I would just get angry

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Replace "regressive societies," "traditional societies," "modern societies," and "advanced societies" with "no white people," "some white people," "a lot of white people," and "mostly white people."

3peat
May 6, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I see that the Magyar culture has been deemed too alien to chart on this scale.

I would have made a IT'S THERE and point at Mongolia joke but apparently that one's missing too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

Replace "regressive societies," "traditional societies," "modern societies," and "advanced societies" with "no white people," "some white people," "a lot of white people," and "mostly white people."

I bet Sweden wouldn't be topmost rightmost in that case.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3peat posted:

I would have made a IT'S THERE and point at Mongolia joke but apparently that one's missing too

Plus it doesn't work as trolling because Hungarian nationalists would agree.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

You can move up to the next tech level if you gain at least 10% White pops in all your provinces.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

3peat posted:

you do some fasting if you remember to, maybe you go to church at christmas and easter, you do the cross sign from time to time and you eat the traditional food for whatever holiday

Haha, this is spot-on for Serbia. Your description sent me on a little nostalgia flashback.

e: you earn bonus piety points for having an orthodox icon keychain or rearview mirror dangler

3peat posted:

"pocaiti"

This is interesting, the Serbian word for "to repent" is "pokajati se" ("se" is just the reflexive part of the verb). The repentant ones would be "pokajnici". I suppose it could be an older word that escaped Francization of the Romanian language?

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 6, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bet Sweden wouldn't be topmost rightmost in that case.
A whole lot of (technically) white countries in the bottom left too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm a light pink myself.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3peat posted:

I assume it's because of those opinion polls where Romania comes out as extremely religious, and because we have a lot of churches (they're many but empty). The problem is that being "religious" in Romania (and I assume in other eastern european orthodox countries) means that you do some fasting if you remember to, maybe you go to church at christmas and easter, you do the cross sign from time to time and you eat the traditional food for whatever holiday. The talk about religion here is pretty much just when you're supposed to really fast, when you should eat fish during a fast, what priest sings the best at weddings, etc; it's just a mix of tradition and superstition, plus a ton of hypocrisy.
If you start to talk about actual religion stuff like Jesus, the bible, etc people will think you're weird and avoid you; this happens to the converts to those weird american cults like adventists, evangelists, etc, they're the ones that tend to talk a lot about those things and as a result they're seen kinda as mentally ill or strange at best, and avoided; there's a general term for them, "pocaiti" (the repented ones) which by now is like a slur word. And for example, in my region we have a big tatar/turkish minority, and if you marry a tatar girl your parents will be way more accepting than if you marry a "pocait", since muslim tatars are way more similar to orthodox romanians in their casual approach to religion than converts to those cults. I even know mixed families where they follow both religions in the sense they celebrate both christmas and eid/ramadan, eat both pasca and baclava/suberec, etc.

Anyway, in terms of being socially conservative and tolerant towards gays or other minorities Romania is definitely better than the likes of Moldova, Russia, Ukraine or even Poland (abortions for everybody over here! most per capita in europe lol) but there's still a long way to go before we reach western europe. I would say some stuff about the romanian orthodox church and what a terrible organization of thieves and crooks it is, but am too lazy to type so many words and I would just get angry

The only thing I know about Romania is that I dated a Romanian boy once and he had the longest and widest dick I have ever encountered in my entire life. Dumb as a post though.

I don't know why I felt like sharing that but you're welcome.

3peat
May 6, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

e: you earn bonus piety points for having an orthodox icon keychain or rearview mirror dangler

Same here, I bought my car used and no matter how much I scrubbed you can still spot the places where I peeled off the orthodox icon stickers from the dashboard

quote:

This is interesting, the Serbian word for "to repent" is "pokajati se" ("se" is just the reflexive part of the verb). The repentant ones would be "pokajnici". I suppose it could be an older word that escaped Francization of the Romanian language?

Most of the terms used by the church come from old church slavonic, even tho not many are used by regular people since they sound extremely archaic. Others you may recognize are bodaproste from bog da prosti, rai (heaven) from raj or iad (hell) from jadu
There are some notable latin exceptions that remained from Roman times, like for example the word for God is Dumnezeu, which comes from doamne+zeu, which in turn come from domine deus (master god), inger (angel) from angelus, drac (devil) from draco (dragon), infern from infernus, biserica (church) from basilica
There's also plenty of french imports like satana, paradis, eden, demon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

And let's not forget the Japanese as "honorary whites"