Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The phenomenon of quotes for emphasis is larger than just conspiracy loons.

It goes all the way to the top!

Seriously though, agreed. The scare quotes are a pestilence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
So CNN asks a panellist whether a MH370 could have disappeared down a black hole; and the panellist answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krFN7jHKNNo

So with that on TV I am beginning to get why we can be debating 9/11 trutherism here.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Halloween Jack posted:

If that's the case, why are titles like NEW WORLD ORDER ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT SATANIC ROBOT SUPER SOLDIER COINTELPRO MKULTRA STASI MIND CONTROL IMPLANT part of the conspiracist's stock in trade?

Cause it's just the title.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The phenomenon of quotes for emphasis is larger than just conspiracy loons. I hate it so much.
You'll love/hate this, if you're not already aware of it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Strudel Man posted:

You'll love/hate this, if you're not already aware of it.

:lol:

The very first thing on the page was

God, it's been a long time since I've laughed so hard while also wanting to kill myself.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

:lol:

The very first thing on the page was

God, it's been a long time since I've laughed so hard while also wanting to kill myself.

I don't get it?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

loving British prog-rock bands. Don't even get me started on Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's involvment in Watergate.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

KomradeX posted:

I don't get it?

"I don't get it."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

moller posted:

"I don't get it."

Is that a grate over the actual fire alarm? It looked just like a red box to me for a moment, but looking harder I think I see the white handle of a fire alarm

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

KomradeX posted:

Is that a grate over the actual fire alarm? It looked just like a red box to me for a moment, but looking harder I think I see the white handle of a fire alarm

It is a "fire alarm."

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Centripetal Horse posted:

It is a "fire alarm."

It's a plastic box over one of these-

but only ironically

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A rare instance of it being used correctly

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't there a larger version of this explaining how the orange juice represents a fireball and her nametag is relevant somehow too?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

It is a "fire alarm."

A firefighter rolls their eyes at the crowd while carrying a smoking kitten from a burning building.

"Heh."

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

katlington posted:

A firefighter rolls their eyes at the crowd while carrying a smoking kitten from a burning building.

"Heh."

Kittens shouldn't smoke, it's bad for them. Too bad Big Pha"r"ma sponsors smoking to get kids hooked.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Go home Satan you are drunk.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
So what's the deal with the crazy nuttery surrounding Bilderberg Group meetings? Apparently its where the world leaders plot to take over the world or some bullshit like that apparently.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
If they're world leaders then haven't they already taken over?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Execu-speak posted:

So what's the deal with the crazy nuttery surrounding Bilderberg Group meetings? Apparently its where the world leaders plot to take over the world or some bullshit like that apparently.

It's rich people who do something they don't let any media in to see. Obviously it must be SINISTER AS gently caress!

"Bilderberg Group" on Wikipedia posted:

In 2001, Denis Healey, a Bilderberg group founder and, for 30 years, a steering committee member, said: "To say we were striving for a one-world government is exaggerated, but not wholly unfair. Those of us in Bilderberg felt we couldn't go on forever fighting one another for nothing and killing people and rendering millions homeless. So we felt that a single community throughout the world would be a good thing." In 2005 [group chairman Étienne] Davignon discussed these accusations with the BBC: "It is unavoidable and it doesn't matter. There will always be people who believe in conspiracies but things happen in a much more incoherent fashion... When people say this is a secret government of the world I say that if we were a secret government of the world we should be bloody ashamed of ourselves."

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Not sure if this has been addressed already, but I really hate how "United 93 was shot down" is seen as a "reasonable" conspiracy theory. It isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjWU6jXrdc&list=PL6F70E9C7EF49734B

And the black box transcript (only one recovered on 9/11):

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Flight_93_Cockpit_Transcript

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Execu-speak posted:

It's not as far off as you'd think. It's basically a big networking party for the elite and people they might be grooming, where they talk about different issues and political questions. They really were founded with a specific agenda, which was to prevent global conflict by fostering dialogue, globalism, etc. Sometimes it does genuinely have an effect on international relations or policy-making.

What the conspiracy theorists get wrong is that they think that it's in any way special, unique or novel. To paraphrase Healy, who was quoted further up the page, it's basically the same way that politics and governance have always worked. It's just organized around a conference rather than, say, various European social events.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sir Tonk posted:

It's pretty recent for Jones, he used to just sell DVDs. He started getting sponsored by water filtration companies and seed packs, then figured he should get in on the snake oil bandwagon. Smart move, at least from his perspective. He's just giving his audience what they want, much like any cult leader.

Be fair, you could replace "cult leader" in that sentence with basically anything. Business man, entertainer, sexual partner, politician...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sir Tonk posted:

It's pretty recent for Jones, he used to just sell DVDs. He started getting sponsored by water filtration companies and seed packs, then figured he should get in on the snake oil bandwagon. Smart move, at least from his perspective. He's just giving his audience what they want, much like any cult leader.

No kidding. I remember when he used to proclaim David Icke as part of the NWO conspiracy, since he's saying everything "almost right" and then adds on the reptilians to "discredit the movement". Now David Icke is a regular on the show.

Once he even said that he had "an old lady that send him a $50,000 check that was her entire life savings and he refused to cash it". Also then saying he doesn't take donations, just "buy my stuff to fund me." Now he's practically always asking for donations along with "buy my stuff".

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The bilderberg meeting was a hoot. Lots of local anti-nwo nutters showing up and trying to explain to the cops how they were being mind-controlled. Good times :tinfoil:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

There was an article posted in (I think?) this thread, that went fairly well into the reasons people believe in (or claim they do) conspiracy theories and why are perpetuate them for selfish reasons etc.

It was a two-part article, and I can't find the links,

Anyone help me out :)?

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

simmyb posted:

There was an article posted in (I think?) this thread, that went fairly well into the reasons people believe in (or claim they do) conspiracy theories and why are perpetuate them for selfish reasons etc.

It was a two-part article, and I can't find the links,

Anyone help me out :)?

There was a good article on Skeptoid about it but I don't know if it was in this particular thread.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4264

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Time for conspiracy theorizing on XANAX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNRvnZ8ke6w

The combination of paul mccartney is dead, full on paranoid-schizo magical thinking and the slurring australian accent makes this an extra crazy listen.

Enjoy!

Oh that picture in the still seems to be implying that Paul McCartney is in fact Barack Obamas mother. Yes, this video is THAT crazy

edit: Oh gently caress, this is completely barking. Apparently what it is is paul mccartney , barack obamas mother, dave davies from the kinks and so on are all children of alister crowley.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vci8P_TKvto

Oh god. What the gently caress is up with nutters claiming to be the defenders of "common sense"

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

duck monster posted:

The combination of paul mccartney is dead, full on paranoid-schizo magical thinking and the slurring australian accent makes this an extra crazy listen.

Enjoy!

Oh that picture in the still seems to be implying that Paul McCartney is in fact Barack Obamas mother. Yes, this video is THAT crazy

edit: Oh gently caress, this is completely barking. Apparently what it is is paul mccartney , barack obamas mother, dave davies from the kinks and so on are all children of alister crowley .

Holy poo poo

Tias
May 25, 2008

duck monster posted:

edit: Oh gently caress, this is completely barking. Apparently what it is is paul mccartney , barack obamas mother, dave davies from the kinks and so on are all children of alister crowley.

It's a thing. A schizo acquintance of mine is certain Aleister Crowley built a huge temple in Greece where he personally devoured hundreds of infants.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
This is someone that ran against a represenative in the GOP primary in my state:

http://www.timothyraymurray.com/

quote:

I, Timothy Ray Murray, am a human, born in Oklahoma, and obtained and continue to fully meet the requirements to serve as U.S. Representative when honored to so. I will never use a look alike to replace my (The Office’s) message to you or to anyone else, as both the other Republican Challengers have.

Rep. Frank Lucas, and a few other Oklahoma and other States’ Congressional Members were depicted as being executed by The World Court on or about Jan. 11, 2011 in Southern Ukraine. On television they were depicted as being executed by the hanging about the neck until death on a white stage and in front of witnesses. Other now current Members of Congress have shared those facts on television also. We know that it is possible to use look alike artificial or manmade replacements, however Rep. Lucas was not eligible to serve as a Congressional Member after that time.

The World knows the truth and We must always display and communicate the truth. I will always share public information with the truth when honored to serve as your Representative.

quote:

I will NEVER use Artificial Intelligence look alike to voice what

The Representative’s Office is doing nor own a robot look alike.

The World knows the truth, and We must always share the truth.

(emphasis mine)

The site kinda has a TimeCube feel to it. It almost feels like word salad...

And just for reference here is not too long ago he was running as a Democrat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzo2io4xvg

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lest we forget the great Lee Mercer who ran for president, while claiming the US military "installed an intelligence hotwire into him"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It was brought up in another thread that the great people at Hobby Lobby likely believe that UPC barcodes and scanners are the Mark of the Beast, and for this reason they don't use them in any of their stores (much to the chagrin of their employees who have to do everything by hand). So I searched about this and found that this is an actual thing that real people believe, and it has to be the dumbest conspiracy I've ever heard of. Like, dumber than Bigfoot performing alien autopsies at Area 51 while high on chemtrails. Notably because even if you believed everything in the book of Revelations at face value, it straight up says that the mark of the beast is put onto people's forehead or right hand, and has nothing to do with marks on products themselves beyond some paranoid interpretation of the numbers on the code having a passing resemblance to 666, which still wouldn't matter because it's not a mark that goes anywhere on the human body.

So does anyone have relatives or friends who actually believe in this poo poo? Do they really think every business around the entire world is in on a conspiracy to force them to commit themselves to the antichrist every time they buy milk, or at least are unknowingly participating in End Times Prophecy™?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 10, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, the bar code "6-6-6" thing goes back decades. I'm pretty sure I heard about it in the 80's, and it was assumed by the "The End Times is nigh!" crowd that they'd be given bar code tattoos for tracking and identification. Even Kyle in the Terminator had a bar code tat.

That guy with the perfect hair and the "It's happening any day now!" show (gently caress - what is his name? His simpering wife is also on there agreeing with him) has been spending at least the past 35 years going on about all the signs. He has had the bar code meme on his show forever.

Amusingly, he declared flat out that the EU was obviously the twelve-headed dragon, since there were twelve countries. Too bad they've added a few since then...

So, yes. There are a significant group of people who think (I mean, seriously believe) that the bar code is a sign of the devil.

Fake edit - Jack Van Impe - that's him. Google some pics of him and his wife for some truly evangelical hair!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hobby Lobby seriously don't use barcodes or whatever? Wow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, the bar code "6-6-6" thing goes back decades. I'm pretty sure I heard about it in the 80's, and it was assumed by the "The End Times is nigh!" crowd that they'd be given bar code tattoos for tracking and identification. Even Kyle in the Terminator had a bar code tat.

That guy with the perfect hair and the "It's happening any day now!" show (gently caress - what is his name? His simpering wife is also on there agreeing with him) has been spending at least the past 35 years going on about all the signs. He has had the bar code meme on his show forever.

Amusingly, he declared flat out that the EU was obviously the twelve-headed dragon, since there were twelve countries. Too bad they've added a few since then...

So, yes. There are a significant group of people who think (I mean, seriously believe) that the bar code is a sign of the devil.

Fake edit - Jack Van Impe - that's him. Google some pics of him and his wife for some truly evangelical hair!

Old Jack made a movie about the antichrist coming that involved barcodes. I think it was called "Eye of the Storm." It's notable mostly because they defeat the anti-Christ by showing old video tapes of Jack Van Impe's show (Jack and crew were raptured, natch. He left a note with a box of tapes beforehand, though). Jesus never shows up, so it's like he cast himself as Christ.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

duck monster posted:

Enjoy!

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vci8P_TKvto

Oh god. What the gently caress is up with nutters claiming to be the defenders of "common sense"

Since we're talking Paul is dead stuff it's a good time to point out that the Beatles never existed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

katlington posted:

Hobby Lobby seriously don't use barcodes or whatever? Wow.

Yep! It's like taking a time warp back to 1973 when you go to check out in one of them. They also primarily play Christian music over the instore speakers (but no Christian rock because rock is evil!) and refuse to open on Sundays. They've also refused to carry crafting items related to any non-Christian religions or holidays.

Basically the company is literally run by the kind of people who believe Jack Chick tracts are 100% truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack Gladney posted:

Old Jack made a movie about the antichrist coming that involved barcodes. I think it was called "Eye of the Storm." It's notable mostly because they defeat the anti-Christ by showing old video tapes of Jack Van Impe's show (Jack and crew were raptured, natch. He left a note with a box of tapes beforehand, though). Jesus never shows up, so it's like he cast himself as Christ.

So the anti-Christ watched reruns of his show and realized that Peak Evil had already been reached so he sulked back to hell?

• Locked thread