Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Black Zhenjiang vinegar. The stomach lining and everything is edible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

gsroppsa posted:

Now that I'm back home, I'm keen to make this broth myself. However, my Google searches are too vague and turn up nothing. Does anyone know how to make this deliciously soupy goodness? Am I on the right track with beef bones, curry powder, soy sauce, sesame oil and msg? I feel like I'd be missing a whole heap of spices, but then again this was street food, so I can't imagine the recipe to be too complex.

It has cilantro in it.

Yknow, I don't know what that is, but it looks a bit like a Malaysian/Singaporean soup: soup (sup) kambing. Only thing is that sup kambing is made with lamb.

If you have a mixed Asian market near you, there's often a spice packet soup mix aisle full of pre-combined spices in pouches that you kind of mull the water and meat with. I'd try going there and finding a sup kambing pack and make it. Follow the directions but add 2-3 times the spice packets they tell you, else it will be weak as hell. Also, use a lot more meat/bones than they tell you to, and cook it until it tastes delicious (which is a hell of a lot longer than the instructions will ever tell you. I don't know who the hell writes those instructions). When you're done, add some finely chopped cilantro and drink it down. My favored side is a crusty piece of bread with a bit of butter, and dip it into the soup.

Whatever you do, don't pop the spice packet by accident and eat/drink the spices. You will be full of regret instead of soup.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 30, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Genewiz posted:

What rice cooker do you have? The fancy kind these days do a pretty good job.

Using an Aroma 3 cup rice cooker. I could go back to the rice hours later and it's still sticky as hell. It's totally edible and like I said, my parents seem to prefer it even. And yeah, I always wash my rice/let it sit and less water weirdly doesn't seem to help much. Since I'm moving to a not-dorm next year, any suggestions on a rice cooker that will make me restaurant type rice? I'd prefer a smaller one since it'll just be feeding me and maybe my roommate if they want any.

I want my rice to look like this dammit :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Did you try the link I posted? It's the only way I cook rice now, the texture's great. I have a zero extra function $20 rice cooker, there's nothing wrong with the fancier ones but you don't need them.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Did you try the link I posted? It's the only way I cook rice now, the texture's great. I have a zero extra function $20 rice cooker, there's nothing wrong with the fancier ones but you don't need them.

Too bad my parent's are crazy and my mom basically threw the rice into the rice cooker while it was suppose to be soaking and yelled at me for "not knowing how to make rice" :v: I'll have to try it when I move out.

Xun fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 4, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

Since I'm moving to a not-dorm next year, any suggestions on a rice cooker that will make me restaurant type rice? I'd prefer a smaller one since it'll just be feeding me and maybe my roommate if they want any.

You should get this

It's HKD $10,000 ~= USD $ 1,300 for a rice cooker. I tried the USD 300 dollar version and drat it really is amazing. It keeps the interior husk moist. I did a double blind 4 rice cooker taste test for my family (we are Cantonese food snobs, goons who met me or went out to dinner with me know my poo poo) - and the amazing thing with the fancier rice cookers is how they can preserve the rice.

Oh yeah, generic restaurant rice cookers suck and the rice grains they use also suck. It's generic bland dried long grain. Short grain, slightly moist (not mushy, that means too much water) and puffy is where the taste is at :rock: It has that hint of sweet starch that mixes well with sauces and food juices as you shovel rice into your mouth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xun posted:

Using an Aroma 3 cup rice cooker. I could go back to the rice hours later and it's still sticky as hell. It's totally edible and like I said, my parents seem to prefer it even. And yeah, I always wash my rice/let it sit and less water weirdly doesn't seem to help much. Since I'm moving to a not-dorm next year, any suggestions on a rice cooker that will make me restaurant type rice? I'd prefer a smaller one since it'll just be feeding me and maybe my roommate if they want any.

What kind of rice are you using? I never pre-soak the rice but I don't know that it's a bad thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

What kind of rice are you using? I never pre-soak the rice but I don't know that it's a bad thing.

I think that's the important part here. As far as I know, short grain rice will always be stickier than medium or long grain rice cooked the same way.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
What brand of rice are you using? I always buy jasmine, and some brands are super sticky, while some aren't.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone know a good dumpling sauce recipe? I can never seem to get the ratio of ingredients quite right.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laocius posted:

Does anyone know a good dumpling sauce recipe? I can never seem to get the ratio of ingredients quite right.

I just do it to taste. Soy sauce, chili oil, vinegar, and a little sesame oil. Grated ginger and garlic if that's your thing.

In my experience, if it doesn't taste right, you need to add more vinegar. Then adjust the heat with the chili oil.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just do it to taste. Soy sauce, chili oil, vinegar, and a little sesame oil. Grated ginger and garlic if that's your thing.

In my experience, if it doesn't taste right, you need to add more vinegar. Then adjust the heat with the chili oil.

Yeah do whatever you like. For the comedy option try dijon mustard or balsamic vinegar. But black vinegar can't go wrong, or sweet black vinegar

Everyone has their own thing. Soy sauce with dumplings is kinda sacrilege in northern China but more common in Guangdong province. People in the south love soy sauce.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Black vinegar with thinly sliced ginger is my favorite. Maybe a tiny touch of soy sauce.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My mom is a northerner that has to vinegar with her dumplings, and garlic. She will just eat cloves of raw garlic on the side. My dad is from the south and likes hot sauce and soysauce for dipping. After trying all the different options growing up I've determined that dumplings are best eaten plain with no sauce. Just enjoy the delicate flavors of the filling without those overpowering soy/vinegar/chili flavors.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I've got to post that my girlfriend got me a birthday gift consisting of a cereal box filled with stacked bottles of angry lady sauce. She fit nine bottles in that box and shipped it across the country to me.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

bamhand posted:

Just enjoy the delicate flavors of the filling without those overpowering soy/vinegar/chili flavors.

This is madness.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Jiaozi are a means of moving the greatest possible quantity of black vinegar into your mouth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's not chinese, but nuoc cham is great for dumplings, imo.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

This is madness.

No way. You can really taste and feel the filling if you're not loaded up on dipping sauce. Fish dumplings are the best if you don't dump them in a sauce. And then, take another dumpling and just dredge it in sauce.

The only way to enjoy dumplings is if you get a plate to yourself so you can eat them plain and also dip them in every sauce combination possible. Soy, some chili sauce, some vinegar, all of it mixed together... mmm.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

squigadoo posted:

The only way to enjoy dumplings is if you get a plate to yourself so you can eat them plain and also dip them in every sauce combination possible. Soy, some chili sauce, some vinegar, all of it mixed together... mmm.

This is also acceptable. My family does pork, chives, and shrimp so they're bursting with flavor already. Dipping in sauce usually overpowers the shrimp.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread, I tried to skim quick but its long and I might have missed it.

I was about to get a replacement grate for my 22 inch weber that had a circular cut-out so I could use a big pile of hardwood lump charcoal to try to get wok-level heat output (and not smoke out my kitchen). Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus what seems like the more common in this thread outdoor propane burner/turkey fryer? I've pretty much given up one of my two off street parking spots to my grill and smoker so I was hoping to pull double duty instead of taking up yet more space (though I suppose I could get a short burner and just set it down inside the grill while in use).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jarmak posted:

I was about to get a replacement grate for my 22 inch weber that had a circular cut-out so I could use a big pile of hardwood lump charcoal to try to get wok-level heat output (and not smoke out my kitchen). Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus what seems like the more common in this thread outdoor propane burner/turkey fryer? I've pretty much given up one of my two off street parking spots to my grill and smoker so I was hoping to pull double duty instead of taking up yet more space (though I suppose I could get a short burner and just set it down inside the grill while in use).
If you're going to use charcoal as a fuel, just use your chimney starter as a wok burner.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

If you're going to use charcoal as a fuel, just use your chimney starter as a wok burner.

I could, though the serious eats article I read which gave me the idea indicated this would provide higher heat and more wok hei flavor (I could find other uses for the grate as well, and its an overall upgrade being a cast iron replacement for my stock grate)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I could, though the serious eats article I read which gave me the idea indicated this would provide higher heat and more wok hei flavor[...]
I don't know what they're smoking but when I have a chimney starter going it absofuckinglutely gets flames going up the sides. And it's not like a commercial wok burner is as broad as a kettle grill.

I mean I'm not trying to argue against making a wok ring for a grill. That's actually a great idea. I'm just saying that if you're reluctant to go that way the chimney starter thing is a dead simple no effort alternative.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

SubG posted:

Jesus... I should have thought of this years ago

Hauki
May 11, 2010

As a caveat, I'm gonna mention that I melted a charcoal starter I got at home depot doing something similar.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Found the article I was talking about, it has to do with more airflow giving much much more heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html?ref=search

edit: (The dip in the graph is food being added)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool article about food temperatures and Chinese cooking. But man, you guys got to julienne your vegetables. The broccoli in the pictures look ridiculously big. I think cutting the thicker stems and cooking it as a separate batch would be nicer. I'm glad to be back in Hong Kong now. I just spent a month in Europe on a work trip and am just glad to be back posting on SA and eating some Cantonese food

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Jarmak posted:

Found the article I was talking about, it has to do with more airflow giving much much more heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html?ref=search

Am I mistaken or does he not ever test the temperature of the grill or the burner? Additionally, the graph lacks numbers for time. I'm not saying that a wok isn't better than a skillet for stir frying, but I don't think this proves why in any regard.

I've always found the main advantage to be in the greater surface area which helps to prevent crowding the pan and allowing moisture to collect underneath the ingredients, steaming them, as well as the ability to quickly drop the temperature by removing the thin metal from the heat.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 3, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you read the article? I'm not sure that the temp of the grill or burner matters; it's just a graph of how the wok or skillet reacts to the heat based on the metal and type of work it's doing.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Yes, I read the whole article. The relative temperature of the ingredients, the pan, the flame (more specifically the BTU it's putting out), as well as the quantity of ingredients, and the thickness of the pans will all effect the heat retention and ability to come back up to temperature which is what the graph is attempting to show based on two pans and three heat sources.

P.S. I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong here, but it seems like yet another SeriousEats article claiming scientific testing with a flawed methodology.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 3, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I'm all for collecting data, but I'm skeptical about those results. You can get a chimney starter hot enough de-season metal cookware, which is hotter than you need it to be. The primary factors influencing the temperature you reach are, off the top of my head: ventilation, fuel, and packing. They don't provide details on any of the above, so I have no way of evaluating their methodology and data.

There's one photo of their setup with the chimney starter, of it on the grate in an open kettle grill. Based on this and with nothing else to go on I'd guess they're just choking their chimney starter. Due to the stack effect it'll be pulling (or at least will pull if you let it) way more air than a similar-sized bed of coals in the bottom of a grill.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AriTheDog posted:

Yes, I read the whole article. The relative temperature of the ingredients, the pan, the flame (more specifically the BTU it's putting out), as well as the quantity of ingredients, and the thickness of the pans will all effect the heat retention and ability to come back up to temperature which is what the graph is attempting to show based on two pans and three heat sources.

P.S. I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong here, but it seems like yet another SeriousEats article claiming scientific testing with a flawed methodology.

Well I mean you can assume the MIT guy is a total moron and didn't use the same quantities of food every time when measuring that, or used different burners for some reason, or we can kind of assume since its not a scientific article in a peer-reviewed journal of chemistry that he wasn't compelled to write three pages on the methodology and he can perform a science experiment with the level of competence of a freshman in high school.

SubG posted:

I'm all for collecting data, but I'm skeptical about those results. You can get a chimney starter hot enough de-season metal cookware, which is hotter than you need it to be. The primary factors influencing the temperature you reach are, off the top of my head: ventilation, fuel, and packing. They don't provide details on any of the above, so I have no way of evaluating their methodology and data.

There's one photo of their setup with the chimney starter, of it on the grate in an open kettle grill. Based on this and with nothing else to go on I'd guess they're just choking their chimney starter. Due to the stack effect it'll be pulling (or at least will pull if you let it) way more air than a similar-sized bed of coals in the bottom of a grill.

It might heavily depend on your chimney starter too, but you can put a lot more fuel down on the weber grate with plenty of air to feed it then you can in a chimney starter. I've gotten some obscenely hot beds of coals going for doing stuff like searing steaks. The convenience alone of not having to play jenga with the chimney starter was worth the 35$ for the setup.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
I have this slight dimpling/rough texture on the bottom of my wok in a couple of patches, I've seasoned it and at this point (about 6 months use) that area is pretty much non-stick. Should I buff it back to smooth with a polishing compound and re-season it or is this just a side-effect of the patina? I've tried a salt+oil scrub and it didn't budge.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Basic question. How do you cook rice to give it the classic chinese / asian textures, almost sticky, and is it just standard long grain? I don't think it's stick rice / glutinous rice.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

Isnak posted:

I have this slight dimpling/rough texture on the bottom of my wok in a couple of patches, I've seasoned it and at this point (about 6 months use) that area is pretty much non-stick. Should I buff it back to smooth with a polishing compound and re-season it or is this just a side-effect of the patina? I've tried a salt+oil scrub and it didn't budge.

If it has a non-stick feel to it then you've just seasoned over a bit of burnt food, or the seasoning there might just have become especially thick for some reason. Probably no need to scrape it off and re-season unless you just don't like it aesthetically or it begins to interfere with cooking.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

itsjustdrew posted:

Basic question. How do you cook rice to give it the classic chinese / asian textures, almost sticky, and is it just standard long grain? I don't think it's stick rice / glutinous rice.

It may not be what a lot of people would refer to as "sticky rice" (nuomifan/mochigome) but varying types of rice have varying amounts of stickiness when cooked. Hence, you're going to want to pick up a short-grain rice. I don't think it's possible to get that stickiness with long-grain rice.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

itsjustdrew posted:

I use broken rice. Whole rice just feels wrong to me.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Thank you gents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

Cook it in a rice cooker. Wash off the starch. Use the right amount of water for mine with long grain and jasmine it's about 1:1.5 rice to water.