Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

AgentF posted:

People say that a unit's price cost and usefulness aren't necessarily correlated because there are expensive models that are rubbish. What are some examples of super useful models (the must-takes of a codex) that are really quite cheap (for GW)?

Wave Serpents, Night Scythes, and Annihilation Barges are three units that spring to mind as frontrunners- all of them are reasonably-cheap kits (on par or below the cost of similar models) that are extremely high performers. The Daemon Prince kit, since it can essentially make two full models if you find a way to replace the legs with something, is an extremely good bargain and has been a staple of several different armies for some time now. Kroot Carnivores come in a large box and haven't seen a significant price increase or size decrease for quite some time now. The Transcendent C'tan is "cheating" a bit in this respect, but it's one of the most powerful models in the game right now and it is basically an add-on bit for another kit.

That's not even looking to conversions and other options, which can make a lot of kits significantly more cost-effective. Things also change if you look at a dollars-per-effectiveness-per-point metric, but that's getting into some really complex numbers.

Hollismason posted:

In other news I've yet to lose with my Daemon Bomb/Summoning army and am starting to think it may be a bit much. It's kind of boss and I look forward to seeing Bay Area Open and Nova results if someone takes a serious army there.

I almost went with a summoning/psychic-based list for BAO, but I wasn't sure I would have the models painted in time and enough experience with the army to really play it well, so I decided on something else instead. I still think it's an incredibly strong army, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's actually super fun to play,( probably not fun to play against) which is why I like it. I still super enjoy my Necrons, but I like the Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marine army I'm working on.

I'm curious as to whether anyone will even bring one as you have to be on top of things in order to make the psychic phase move pretty fast.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 6, 2014

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

A dickbike so big it needs TWO stands to hold it up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That army isn't even the best painted one there which is what's crazy.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

DAEMONS DAEMONS DAEMONS DAEMONS.

daemons.
What is your buddy playing against you, and what are you facing on Vassal? There's still a lot of weakness in that list and I'm curious if anyone has tried to exploit it yet - it's a strong army, but I don't know if people have any idea how to face it. Basically, have you paired it against worst-case scenario and seen how it has turned out, or are you just running into guys that look at you putting lots of models on the table and going "wtf how am i gonna score." (Not attacking you, your buddy, or how you play the list - I'm honest keen to seen how it is going.)

AbusePuppy posted:

The Daemon Prince kit, since it can essentially make two full models if you find a way to replace the legs with something, is an extremely good bargain and has been a staple of several different armies for some time now.
I can speak to this. I apparently don't have a photo of them anywhere (and lack a camera) but I put together a pair of Daemon Prince out of spare bits from the Prince box, and then spare bits from the Maulerfiend kit. The big thing is making the back, but you can sculpt something out of green stuff. You can, if you have a spare flight stand, for like a Land Speeder or the like, get even cheaper - give your Daemon Prince stubby legs, or some sort of anti-grav thing, or just a few tentacles trailing on the ground, and prop him up. Bam, hit both flight and the lack of legs at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/07/06/rumor-it-actual-starter-set-confirmation/

So it seems like there is a new starter box coming out relatively soon.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dragongaze?

e: Dragongaze.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
New starter box with (presumably) new mini rulebook? One of the armies is SW and the other is Orks?

This may be that stopped clock moment where GW gets my money for a NIB product.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Updated Grey Hunters pack or are those the new starter models? Either way MY WALLET.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does anyone have any advice for freehanding writing onto a flat surface - in this case the armour of a Leman Russ? Just want to write "CAIN" and "ABEL" onto the side of my paired punishers which I'm running as a squadron

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have any advice for freehanding writing onto a flat surface - in this case the armour of a Leman Russ? Just want to write "CAIN" and "ABEL" onto the side of my paired punishers which I'm running as a squadron

How thick and how well? I'm bad and I did this using what is basically a ruined cheap brush, the bristles fused into a solid but blunt pseudo pen nib. Used the paint thick, short strokes so I didn't have to repaint over where the paint ran out, and tied not to be too fancy about it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Buy yourself a micron pen in whatever color you need (probably white or black). You'll want it to be .2mm for tiny writing like on purity seals, .3mm for small letters on a tank, and .4mm or for larger projects.

Using a brush is too much a pain in the rear end in my opinion so I take shortcuts where possible.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm surprised to see that new starter box. I thought with DV being out for less than 2 years, and the fact they were still selling it just with a disclaimer about the rules, that we wouldn't see a new one for years, if at all this edition. Now to wait to find out if it includes a mini rulebook.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Got me waaaaagh all figgered out! Played a round against Dagon last night, with ten less boyz per unit and another set of buggies and some burnas instead of the second meganobz, and half the Flash Gitz.

I did not expect my boyz to be so deadly. He made a bit of a blunder and deep struck his Commander Farsight (and his two bodyguards) in range of da boyz. One shooting attack later, dat dere warlord wuz dead.

Assault may not be the best thing, but both my Burnas (specifically their Meks with killsaws) and Meganobz managed to utterly destroy a Riptide each in close combat. And my Wagons got them into there quite well!

Haven't tried out this new version, yet, but basically I'm increasing what I felt was highly effective. The Meks amongst the burnas were good, but the burnas themselves fell a little flat in the fight!

Waaaagh.

pre:
Orks
2000pt

HQ
Warboss [60]
	Mega Armor [40]
	Boss Pole [5]
	Da Lucky Stick [25]
Big Mek [35]
	Mega Armor [40]
	Kustom Force Field [50]

Troops
Boyz (30) [180]
	Boss Nob [10]
		Boss Pole [5]
		Power Klaw [25]
	Shootas [30]
	Big Shoota [5]
	Big Shoota [5]
	Big Shoota [5]	

Boyz (30) [180]
	Boss Nob [10]
		Boss Pole [5]
		Power Klaw [25]
	Shootas [30]
	Big Shoota [5]
	Big Shoota [5]
	Big Shoota [5]

Elites
Meganobs (5) [200]
	Boss pole [5]
	Battlewagon [110]	
		Kannon [10]
		Big Shoota [5]
		Big Shoota [5]
		Rokkit Launcher [5]
		Rokkit Launcher [5]
		Boarding Plank [10]
		Grot Riggers [10]
Meganobs (5) [200]
	Boss pole [5]
	Battlewagon [110]	
		Kannon [10]
		Big Shoota [5]
		Big Shoota [5]
		Rokkit Launcher [5]
		Rokkit Launcher [5]
		Boarding Plank [10]
		Grot Riggers [10]		

Fast attack
Warbuggies (5) [125]
	Rokkits [0]

Heavy Support

Lootas (10) [140]

Flash Gitz (10) [220]

EDIT: I may swap out the buggies, two gitz, and two lootas for a second FoC of another Mega Mek w/ KFF and two Gretchin squads, to get a KFF mek in each wagon.

EDIT2: Probably will do that swap. Having a Mek in each wagon will be handy, both for repairs and for the KFF. I'll use Reaper Bones kobolds or goblins for the grots, since I already have some and dey'z cheap, and the Meks from my lootas kits I already have for the runtherds.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 6, 2014

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

EDIT: I may swap out the buggies, two gitz, and two lootas for a second FoC of another Mega Mek w/ KFF and two Gretchin squads, to get a KFF mek in each wagon.

EDIT2: Probably will do that swap. Having a Mek in each wagon will be handy, both for repairs and for the KFF. I'll use Reaper Bones kobolds or goblins for the grots, since I already have some and dey'z cheap, and the Meks from my lootas kits I already have for the runtherds.

Can you not use the buggies for a cover save for those wagons? The price for a Mega-Mek with KFF is pretty high, you could pick up a bunch of buggies and throw a Mek into the wagon for the points.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hmm. I didn't think of screening with the buggies! The MegaMek is partially a non-optimization thing, since I like the model a lot and I'll have one left from getting all my Meganobz.

I'll try it out a couple different ways, see what plays best!

I do like having a couple of throwaway troops to park on a couple rear objectives so my boyz can march forward.

Plus the KFF protects my manz once they disembark!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 6, 2014

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Don't Boarding Planks cost 15 points?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Buy yourself a micron pen in whatever color you need (probably white or black). You'll want it to be .2mm for tiny writing like on purity seals, .3mm for small letters on a tank, and .4mm or for larger projects.

Using a brush is too much a pain in the rear end in my opinion so I take shortcuts where possible.

Do you have a recommendation for a micropen? I can't get the thinning right for my Skaven freehand.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
From the GBS thread - but awesome:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Raphus C posted:

Can you not use the buggies for a cover save for those wagons? The price for a Mega-Mek with KFF is pretty high, you could pick up a bunch of buggies and throw a Mek into the wagon for the points.

Important distinction, the force fields (kustom or mega) are invulnerable saves from shooting attacks. So those serpent shields and Str D weapons can suck it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

OB_Juan posted:

From the GBS thread - but awesome:

Holy poo poo.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Important distinction, the force fields (kustom or mega) are invulnerable saves from shooting attacks. So those serpent shields and Str D weapons can suck it.

Str D weapons don't ignore cover saves anymore, except on the 6 result (which doesn't care about any kinds of saves.)

Also, Lemongrab, yessssssssssssssssssss.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think it's a new starter. It looks like it's a box set with two forces, like a two player Battleforce? People have been asking for that for year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

What is your buddy playing against you, and what are you facing on Vassal? There's still a lot of weakness in that list and I'm curious if anyone has tried to exploit it yet - it's a strong army, but I don't know if people have any idea how to face it. Basically, have you paired it against worst-case scenario and seen how it has turned out, or are you just running into guys that look at you putting lots of models on the table and going "wtf how am i gonna score." (Not attacking you, your buddy, or how you play the list - I'm honest keen to seen how it is going.)
I can speak to this. I apparently don't have a photo of them anywhere (and lack a camera) but I put together a pair of Daemon Prince out of spare bits from the Prince box, and then spare bits from the Maulerfiend kit. The big thing is making the back, but you can sculpt something out of green stuff. You can, if you have a spare flight stand, for like a Land Speeder or the like, get even cheaper - give your Daemon Prince stubby legs, or some sort of anti-grav thing, or just a few tentacles trailing on the ground, and prop him up. Bam, hit both flight and the lack of legs at the same time.

In RL I usually play against my friends, Salamanders w/ Drop Pods with Vulcan, Tyranids, and Imperial Guard, Eldar, Necrons ( well my necrons I don't use). We all kind of "pool" our resources.

Vassal I've played pretty much against everything (although my vassal quit on me and I can't seem to get it to work again with my Ubuntu operating system, cause of some update not sure) so I haven't played for a a week or two.

The armies that gave me the most trouble were AV12 spam and Drop Pod lists along with Leafblower Imperial Guard, but then I switched to the Daemon Bomb version of deepstriking in when that happens and switched over to using Lash Princes and Soul Grinder and taking a small mini star that changed drastically.

The worst army it could play for a while was FMC spam Tyranids, and Drop Podding Salamanders. I've never lost to SeerStar or Tau. ( Slaanesh has a psychic spell that prevents Overwatch ). It also has the ability to get terrify and Psychic Scream. Then I figured out it's really easy to get 2-3 or more units with a 3++ so I started doing that and using a pretty much unkillable Soul Grinder.

In single games if we decide to really test it I'll bring Fateweaver. Otherwise I just bring a KOS. My normal fluffy list has Chaos Space Marines and Daemons , plus Necrons( Ad Mech creations).

The toughest armies it has to play is Drop Pod Salamanders and FMC Tyranids. It's really hard to kill a army that has 2 or more units that have a 3++ and a 2++ all that reroll. ( Forewarning + Cursed Earth, Grimoire + Cursed Earth) plus Invisibility as I usually have a KOS and a Daemon Prince or two.

We usually play 1850 to 2000 points as that's the most fun , the army is usually : KOS , 4 Heralds (Discs, Portaglyphs, Grimoire), 4 to 5 Pinks, Screamers, 1-2 Lash Prince , 1-2 Soul Grinder, Bastion.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 6, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think it's a new starter. It looks like it's a box set with two forces, like a two player Battleforce? People have been asking for that for year.

Presumably it ties in with Sanctum Reach, and more of them will be released alongside the other campaign volumes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is what I'm leaning towards too. The only new model on the leaked cover is that new character. Then you have regular grey hunters and terminators in the foreground/background. A two player battleforce is a good idea, but seems a little redundant if a starter set exists. It'll really depend on the price. I think we'll see Dark Vengeance come back at some point with a new mini rulebook, it's just a matter of time.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteOutMouse posted:

True, but a Mega-Mek aint throwing out 3+ tl Rokkits a turn. Buggies draw fire and crack open transports and threats to the rest of the army. Those Meks are just putting more eggs in the basket.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just finished Marneus Calgar:

Although the banner was kind of a pain, I had a great time painting Calgar. There's so much detail on him, but it doesn't feel as ridiculous as it does on modern models - the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines should be this blinged out! I only count 19 skulls on him, which is downright tame by today's standards :D He's just got a ton of character, appropriately enough:

As an added bonus, I finished up the last 5 scouts:

I painted 5 last month, but even given their limited poses they didn't feel repetitive to me. They're really great sculpts, like all of Jes' old Space Marines.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Thanks for the tips with the micron pens I'll check them out!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I really like that Calgar model. I can't stand the new one.

really surprised to see SW next, thought it would be Blood Angels. Give me cool new Flesh Tearers stuff GW, TIA.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Wasn't their a picture in a recent WD of a new Warboss? Seems like there might be new models in that starter set.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I really like that Calgar model. I can't stand the new one.
I love them both, and I think the new one preserves a lot of the original's character.I still think it's hilarious he has frag grenades and a power sword with those giant-rear end gauntlets though.

Power Player posted:

Wasn't their a picture in a recent WD of a new Warboss? Seems like there might be new models in that starter set.

Yeah, he's in the WAAAAGH! Ghazghkull supplement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SRM posted:

I love them both, and I think the new one preserves a lot of the original's character.

That's not the original Calgar, this is!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They managed to carry over and update a lot of the details when they sculpted the newer Calgar. It's a great model and it's actually pretty cool to compare the two side-by-side. There's just no competition when it comes down to an old model with an old school paper banner though. :allears: All the old heraldries were pretty cool in a goofy way. Calgar's is just fists, fire, and a skull, but it works.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't mind the PA Calgar, but the Terminator model that comes with the Honor Guard just looks kind of doofy to me.

edit: please give me the option of putting loving helmets on characters

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lungboy posted:

That's not the original Calgar, this is!
Oh, I've got him too! He's squatting there behind Pedro:

My no-longer-valid Crimson Fists counts-as, Marneo Caligari.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

edit: please give me the option of putting loving helmets on characters

Marines pussy enough to wear helmets don't get to be characters :colbert:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I particularly enjoy helmetless terminators, it is especially nice to place a huge fleshy target in literally a bullseye made out of armor.

edit: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/WORLD_EATERS_LEGION_UPGRADE_SET_-_TORSOS.html these are pretty cool. There are IF torsos up also that are not as cool.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Marines pussy enough to wear helmets don't get to be characters :colbert:

Of course you manage to say this below a picture of Pedro Kantor. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
This Marneus Calgar talk reminded me of that janky rules conflict a while ago, where he would join a unit of Guard and be executed by some back-water nobody Commissar because he chose to fail a leadership test from his God of War rule (or whatever it was called). Good times.

I just like the thought of the super human Chapter Master of the Ultramarines, hundreds of years old, veteran of thousands of wars, champion of humanity, and scourge of all enemies of the Emperor, being double tapped in the dome by some green-behind-the-ears Commissar on his first deployment.

• Locked thread