Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

sitchelin posted:

Also, gently caress Nason's Defiance. Why does SoE insist on making the base in the middle of the continent a complete pain in the rear end?
Because that's the point, the center of the map is supposed to be hard to break through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nookovian-Red posted:

and then a Galaxy full of HAs drops on it with decimators and instagib it because GALAXIES are #1.

This is the only exception when I start yelling at pubs cause frankly its bullshit. They drop a an straight 33/33/33 split of heavies, engineers and whatever else with C4 and there is nothing you can really do about it. Mineguard? Well 3 c4 just got thrown on your sundy. Blockade? Well you got 2 AT mines thrown on there. THen the heavies all rocket the mines and c4 and bam, sundy dead in 5 seconds.

But when I moan and bitch about people not defending sundies its when like a single guy just runs to it, everyone doesn't notice him, I'm shooting the guy and he's spotted and I'm shouting in prox chat about the guy currently jihading our spawn point...

Basically I feel like Aragorn in the Two Towers yelling at Legolas to shoot that one uruk who is running to detonate the bombs. Only the elves didn't call Aragorn a human being and to QQ more.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eonwe posted:

My condolences to the NC goons for what your pubbies did in the southwest lane all night tonight.

I had a great time in that lane, but I also never touched Hunter's Blind or Bitol when it was extremely obvious the VS were trying to set up a death trap funnel of horrors. Yeah, I bet you do think it's pretty weird how they fought us tooth and nail for the base leading up to the Bitol satellite only to put up a fairly mild resistance once there. But it's not quite so mysterious after all!

You'll be glad to know that somebody in the endless waves of NC piling into the meat grinder at Bitol tried to convince people to force the VS to split the forces they had there before an assault only to be met with a stony reply of, "Cowardside 2" from some WW1 general roleplayer that then send everybody in all at once.

Personally I'm just glad the NC is getting better about relentlessly spamming Phoenixes on Hossin especially, because it's just such a drat effective launcher there

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
PHX is really pulling the quality of NC down on Emerald and that's saying something. They're literal Zapf Brannigan killbots that endlessly march towards their objective without consideration for external influences (like, say, getting their lattice link back capped so they can't even take a base). It's like playing PvE Planetside.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tonight I learned that the best place to help defend a Galaxy from is parked on top of said Galaxy with a Hawk-equipped HA.

Skygods get really nervous when you start locking in on them, it's a wonderful deterrent.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This is a double XP weekend, why is everyone on Emerald doing their damndest not to fight each other? Jesus guys.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

uncurable mlady posted:

PHX is really pulling the quality of NC down on Emerald and that's saying something. They're literal Zapf Brannigan killbots that endlessly march towards their objective without consideration for external influences (like, say, getting their lattice link back capped so they can't even take a base). It's like playing PvE Planetside.

That's a good thing because VS killbots cant get enough to hit cert/kill limit so they get bogged down.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nakar posted:

Because that's the point, the center of the map is supposed to be hard to break through.

Then why did SOE continually nerf the crap out of the Crown?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Epic High Five posted:

That was a fun little cont block on the VS on Amerish.
You made two dudes in VS command hyper-buttmad, and then GOKU got to mock them a ton (We stayed on Hossin #OurSwamp); Like, absurd amount of rage from Stormfire, who is a certified idiot hellfucker.

sitchelin posted:

I love when NC gets a mechanized discount because we just get to lance twice as much poo poo.
This, we farmed armor coming to Bitol for hours today; NC please always ghostcap Esamir, TIA~

Eonwe posted:

My condolences to the NC goons for what your pubbies did in the southwest lane all night tonight.
What we did to them was a war crime. A delicious, cert-tastic war crime.

Epic High Five posted:

I had a great time in that lane, but I also never touched Hunter's Blind or Bitol when it was extremely obvious the VS were trying to set up a death trap funnel of horrors.
Yeah it really was about as obvious as possible, but God bless PHX, they fell for it every time :allears:

uncurable mlady posted:

PHX is really pulling the quality of NC down on Emerald and that's saying something.
As a VS, let me assure you that PHX (and 902/ODMN on the TR side) is the best drat thing to ever happen to this server :911:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

THIS IS OUR SWAMP

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

PHX gave us such a generous cert donation over the past few hours that I'm honestly feeling like we should give them something back. Perhaps they'll accept Lancers and Lashers to the face?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Locked Hossin and Indar back to back. I don't know what our xp boost was at during the alert but I was making certs just looking towards the enemy. It was beautiful.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

I have a very simple assay to detect when I'm too drunk to planetside effectively: Did I die to two PHX in a row without pulling a 15 KDR against them? OK, time for a break.

keyframe posted:

Locked Hossin and Indar back to back. I don't know what our xp boost was at during the alert but I was making certs just looking towards the enemy. It was beautiful.

To be fair locking a continent with 50% pop (Hossin) isn't much of a thing to brag about. I guess you *can* brag about about it but it doesn't say much for the quality of play involved.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Does anyone use the 2x reflex on the CARV? It's like a recoil multiplier with that on. At anything about 30 meters away I have to aim at their knees and try to keep it steady while I ride the recoil up to their heads.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

vigorous sodomy posted:

Does anyone use the 2x reflex on the CARV? It's like a recoil multiplier with that on. At anything about 30 meters away I have to aim at their knees and try to keep it steady while I ride the recoil up to their heads.
You should pretty much only ever use the 1x or IRNV with the CARV. Or almost any LMG, really. Higher-magnification scopes are a trap on automatics 99% of the time and the weapons that can use them should probably never go higher than a 3.4x.

That said on semi-automatics and bolt-actions the 4x is basically the perfect scope, though Battle Rifles may want to notch it down to 2x for situational awareness purposes.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I suggest using the same magnification across all your automatic weapons, so that you don't have to readjust recoil compensation every time you switch. 1x is what I use on everything because that used to be the only option on a lot of guns. There are players that use only 3.4x or other silly things and do just fine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I prefer 2x. Good magnification for mid-range fights, while not being too overpowered for close-quarters. If you're close enough where 2x is too powerful, you should be hipfiring or using a different weapon.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Here's how you defend a sundy: Get two bulldogs with thermals and park it somewhere that the gunners can easily shell the enemy. You'll get a couple of pubbies to guard that thing with their lives until it runs out of ammo.

If you play against NC some BAX guys will come out of loving no where with a gal, suicide literally 12 dudes into it and if you manage to destroy their gal they will simply have one of the 12 pull another one. Its literally a battle of attrition, how many sundys did you pull? is it enough to cap the base before BAX can kill them all?

If you change the sundys then you can have vehicles protect a infantry sundy and it would take multiple gals of infantry to frag your sundy but they could just pull vehicles and frag it that way. You could then pull a vehicle sundy and park it in a fairly exposed area and defend it with infantry while vehicles uselessly try to destroy it. If you tweaked the deployment zone for both the sundy and points it would be super balanced.

Just think of the loving fights at amerish bases where its a stalemate and defenders cant get enough ground to kill the sundy and attackers cant get a foothold on the point. Indar ex is also a good example, make a sundy tower between the garage and indar ex and now defenders actually need to leave the tower to overwhelm the sundy tower to kill the spawns or it will literally just be a never ending indar ex fight.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

wei posted:

I suggest using the same magnification across all your automatic weapons, so that you don't have to readjust recoil compensation every time you switch. 1x is what I use on everything because that used to be the only option on a lot of guns. There are players that use only 3.4x or other silly things and do just fine.

Saw a guy with a 3.4 on an Orion today.

:psyboom:

Desideratus posted:

You made two dudes in VS command hyper-buttmad, and then GOKU got to mock them a ton (We stayed on Hossin #OurSwamp); Like, absurd amount of rage from Stormfire, who is a certified idiot hellfucker.

This, we farmed armor coming to Bitol for hours today; NC please always ghostcap Esamir, TIA~

What we did to them was a war crime. A delicious, cert-tastic war crime.

Yeah it really was about as obvious as possible, but God bless PHX, they fell for it every time :allears:

As a VS, let me assure you that PHX (and 902/ODMN on the TR side) is the best drat thing to ever happen to this server :911:

902 not so much, apparently.

Now AOD and 382 Terran Air Wing? Holy poo poo the amount of concentrated bad and dumb could power the planet indefinitely.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 6, 2014

West007
Apr 21, 2013

o muerte posted:

To be fair locking a continent with 50% pop (Hossin) isn't much of a thing to brag about. I guess you *can* brag about about it but it doesn't say much for the quality of play involved.

It was equal pops almost all the way through, when we broke some of the key bases most of TR and NC just left.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wei posted:

There are players that use only 3.4x or other silly things and do just fine.
Like me :downsgun:

With foregrip I don't really have a problem burst firing people to death with any gun that uses it but I use the 1x reflex on the GD-7F because that's just a wet fart I barely pull out because I still haven't learned to jump (or) strafe when in an actual close combat situation

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 6, 2014

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
I just got back into this game and I spent some money on my TR guy on the West Server, is there a way to move some of those things to another character/faction?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Dementedghost posted:

I just got back into this game and I spent some money on my TR guy on the West Server, is there a way to move some of those things to another character/faction?

Any NS things you bought with station cash will be account wide (NS-11A/C/M/Baron, Commisionar/Underboss/Crossbow), any TR specific items (weapons/camo/decals) will be shared across your other TR character on different servers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Now that I got the chance to play several hours on it, I believe I was correct in my initial impression that Hossin is the worst continent ever. Let's count the ways:

- Terrible performance (but this will hopefully be fixed)

- Hideous visibility making it Squintside 2 even in brightest day, so to speak

- The same lovely effect as in Esamir nighttime where all the Vanu (or, up to a degree, any player who paid money for a dark camo) are invisible, except worse and at all times

- Also the same lovely effect as on Esamir, where IRNV scopes basically don't work 75% of the time

- HOWEVER, thermal sights work just fine so HE and PPA farmers are not hampered in the least :suicide: (poo poo, at one point I pulled an AP lightning to hunt down some vehicles and I discovered I could effortlessly farm unaware infantry thanks to the peasoup fog making me just a faint shape in the distance)

- Makes the infantry-vs-infantry game 150% more random because, unlike on Amerish, you cannot possibly keep track of every single cover (i.e. every single tree) out of which an enemy could pop up, so it's a game of "who picked the winning branch to perch up on / the right root to hide under?"

- Similarly, forget about hunting down tanks with anything infantry... except by going C4 fairy, which is considerably easier on Hossing. Yep: the most rage-inducing AV option, now also universally the most effective on the entire continent

- And for a kicker: it's basically the promised land for airspergs, since they have absolutely nothing to fear from ground players when the tree canopy completely nullifies lock-ons and cuts the range of flak down by 75% or so

I'm trying to think of something, anything good to say about Hossin and I'm coming up empty. The closest thing to a silver lining is that the juicy +25% XP bonus leads to it getting constantly locked by hellzerg outfit [TRID]'s patented WDS 2.0 tactic of 3 AM ghostcaps. I wish it were a NC outfit doing it, obviously ([MB1] tries but they're not nearly as big), but I'll just be glad not to have to fight on that shithole a moment longer than necessary.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man, I love most everything about the merge, but it seems like the QRY/PREY swarm inevitably appears anywhere that any aircraft exists. Super autists have pretty much always killed any chances of new pilots getting into the air game, but now it's just absurd. Aside from the occasional GOKU Scythe swarm I don't think I've had a single instance of pulling a Scythe since the merge that hasn't ended (usually very quickly) by the appearance of six or so QRY/PREY Reavers.

I also can't happen but notice that I haven't seen N at all since the merge, were they driven out by the ever-present Reaver swarm?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Now that I got the chance to play several hours on it, I believe I was correct in my initial impression that Hossin is the worst continent ever.

The fog is the source of basically all of these problems I think. I wouldn't be surprised if they tone it down in the future.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Now that I got the chance to play several hours on it, I believe I was correct in my initial impression that Hossin is the worst continent ever. Let's count the ways:

- Terrible performance (but this will hopefully be fixed)

- Hideous visibility making it Squintside 2 even in brightest day, so to speak

- The same lovely effect as in Esamir nighttime where all the Vanu (or, up to a degree, any player who paid money for a dark camo) are invisible, except worse and at all times

- Also the same lovely effect as on Esamir, where IRNV scopes basically don't work 75% of the time

- HOWEVER, thermal sights work just fine so HE and PPA farmers are not hampered in the least :suicide: (poo poo, at one point I pulled an AP lightning to hunt down some vehicles and I discovered I could effortlessly farm unaware infantry thanks to the peasoup fog making me just a faint shape in the distance)

- Makes the infantry-vs-infantry game 150% more random because, unlike on Amerish, you cannot possibly keep track of every single cover (i.e. every single tree) out of which an enemy could pop up, so it's a game of "who picked the winning branch to perch up on / the right root to hide under?"

- Similarly, forget about hunting down tanks with anything infantry... except by going C4 fairy, which is considerably easier on Hossing. Yep: the most rage-inducing AV option, now also universally the most effective on the entire continent

- And for a kicker: it's basically the promised land for airspergs, since they have absolutely nothing to fear from ground players when the tree canopy completely nullifies lock-ons and cuts the range of flak down by 75% or so

I'm trying to think of something, anything good to say about Hossin and I'm coming up empty. The closest thing to a silver lining is that the juicy +25% XP bonus leads to it getting constantly locked by hellzerg outfit [TRID]'s patented WDS 2.0 tactic of 3 AM ghostcaps. I wish it were a NC outfit doing it, obviously ([MB1] tries but they're not nearly as big), but I'll just be glad not to have to fight on that shithole a moment longer than necessary.

I haven't seen someone so terminally wrong ever since that one guy who said that Terminator 2 was a bad movie.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Lassitude posted:

The fog is the source of basically all of these problems I think. I wouldn't be surprised if they tone it down in the future.

The fog is great, actually, and gives the continent a much different vibe than others. The only real problems right now are some base designs are dumb (teleporters not far enough away from spawn, or spawn too far from objectives) and some weird geometry. Heck, even the plop-in prefab construction site bases are actually pretty balanced thanks to sundy placement.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially as TR. Unless it's Vanu I'm fighting. Then I get my MCG with an extended mag and my little squad is basically Predator

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hossin really does need some optimizing though. I tried actually playing on non-hossin last night and it was almost like playing after the PU again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

wei posted:

NVIR and Ironsights are all you need. And a 3.4x or 4x for your SAS-R.

Also I would literally pay 20 bucks for an Infiltrator only voice pack that is totally normal except it includes the Predator clicking on a hotkey so that everyone can hear it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Also I would literally pay 20 bucks for an Infiltrator only voice pack that is totally normal except it includes the Predator clicking on a hotkey so that everyone can hear it.

gently caress yessssss :gizz:

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
I swear I feel like the client has another gigantic memory leak. About an hour in and it just starts getting that huge drag, lag picking up, everything slowing down, frame rates in the shitter. Restart the client and all is well. Feels like every other drat patch I get this.

Locking Hossin was great, we were redeploying so fast just to get that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lassitude posted:

I think SOE mentioned at some point that the fog being so thick was initially an early temporary performance improvement that they kept because it helped the atmosphere a ton.

What I'm trying to say is that Planetside 2 is basically Morrowind.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe I should go back to my render quality tweaks so I can go from playing Perfect Dark to playing Turok. The N64 one, not the remake.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

The fog is great, actually, and gives the continent a much different vibe than others. The only real problems right now are some base designs are dumb (teleporters not far enough away from spawn, or spawn too far from objectives) and some weird geometry. Heck, even the plop-in prefab construction site bases are actually pretty balanced thanks to sundy placement.

I don't like it because it noticeably affects my performance. Or at least, I think that's the fog. But yeah, I like Hossin because it's pretty much designed to be the short/medium range infantry vs. infantry continent with the ability for prowlers and stuff to farm at a distance being reduced quite a lot. It's great, and I hope future continents are designed around certain playstyles like Hossin was, but it's kind of annoying having to tweak my graphics settings when I go to Hossin.

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies
Should have made the fog come and go like a LEVOLUTION.

I started playing for Vanu after taking a year off. What's a good LMG that'll make me feel like I'm using a Gauss Saw?
What VS shotgun will play like Mauler+slugs?
What happened to under-barrel grenade launcher? I've not been killed by one and it used to be by most used weapon.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I enjoy Hossin so much becaue it's cramped and close-quarters which I figure is as close as we're gonna get to an actual urban combat enviroment. Granted, it's a swamp so natch the aesthetics are much different and the flow feels different than an urban environment, but I like the shortened sight-lines and of course the fantastic cover provided from/for air.

hug your babies posted:

I started playing for Vanu after taking a year off. What's a good LMG that'll make me feel like I'm using a Gauss Saw?
What VS shotgun will play like Mauler+slugs?
What happened to under-barrel grenade launcher? I've not been killed by one and it used to be by most used weapon.

1) Flare is our hardest hitting gun with stupid recoil, that's about as close as you're going to get.
2) I'm assuming the Mauler is the pump action? If so, Deimos/Phobos, if it's the semi-auto then you want the Nova/Thanatos.
3) They nerfed the gently caress out of it, it drops like a floppy dong and the explosion no longer one-shots, you have to get direct hits.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Started playing PS2 again after a very long time. What ever happened to all of the passive skills that you could get? I remember being able to look at a long list of upgrades but now I barely see anything. Do you have to level up before you can even cert into that stuff or something? Because there is like, one thing in the medic passive cert stuff for me for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The Kins posted:

I think SOE mentioned at some point that the fog being so thick was initially an early temporary performance improvement that they kept because it helped the atmosphere a ton.

What I'm trying to say is that Planetside 2 is basically Morrowind.

Cliffracers

But Not Tonight posted:

I enjoy Hossin so much becaue it's cramped and close-quarters which I figure is as close as we're gonna get to an actual urban combat enviroment. Granted, it's a swamp so natch the aesthetics are much different and the flow feels different than an urban environment, but I like the shortened sight-lines and of course the fantastic cover provided from/for air.

1) Flare is our hardest hitting gun with stupid recoil, that's about as close as you're going to get.
2) I'm assuming the Mauler is the pump action? If so, Deimos/Phobos, if it's the semi-auto then you want the Nova/Thanatos.
3) They nerfed the gently caress out of it, it drops like a floppy dong and the explosion no longer one-shots, you have to get direct hits.

I thought the Ursa was the VS 167 gun.

• Locked thread