Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

4steve posted:

We often see new clients with flaky DCs that have sat for 5 years where the only driving force behind change is some director screaming 'just make it loving work' every time it breaks. Five years of random techies doing what they think is best and taking the easy/fast route every time = five years worth of crap in the AD schema, GPs, Exchange, etc.

With a fresh domain we'd build the whole lot on a VLAN on our network, then we'd take it to site, plug it in and data transfer overnight or over a weekend. Then the next day we'd just profwiz the clients - I'd put two engineers on site for one day for 30 clients and all 30 would be done in 8 hours. You just need to be careful to make sure the 3rd party application guys are working to the same schedule.

We have enough legacy software that that would most likely be a huge pain in the rear end. We're probably going to phase out the largest piece of it in the next year or two, so that'll probably be something for my successor to deal with at the next server upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the secretaries had another of my team write her a macro in Outlook that anytime she got an email with an attachment, the attachment would automatically print. I don't know why, but my boss okay'd it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

One of the secretaries had another of my team write her a macro in Outlook that anytime she got an email with an attachment, the attachment would automatically print. I don't know why, but my boss okay'd it.
Any attachment, or just Word/PDF?

I'm just picturing her getting a thousand-page Excel file...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh right, just Word/PDF.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Still loving stupid... but slightly less loving stupid.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I feel like she would probably love to get copies of most of these

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This is the same company that still has a fax machine manually spit out purchase orders, and another user print out purchase orders that are emailed in, and manually walk those stacks of papers over to order entry who loving manually types that poo poo into an AS400 green screen.

Oh and all those orders are then filed in fuckoff huge filing cabinets because order entry is known to mistype.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sounds like a great way to autoexecute a PDF or VBS virus.

Thanatosian posted:

Our copiers/printers actually have animated-.gif-style instructions for clearing out jams. Users still can't figure them out.

Also, I keep new toners right next to the printer, and set used toners on an eight-foot high shelf on the other side of the room. Somehow, everyone goes for the used ones.
Yep, the printer had a nice little cartoon of how to open tray 1 right under where it said "Open Tray 1". It did no good.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
The best possible way to start a friday. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Howmuch posted:

The best possible way to start a friday. :smith:

If India has taught me anything, just ignore the warnings! :v:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ratbert90 posted:

If India has taught me anything, just ignore the warnings! :v:

Programmers should suppress all warnings too!

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I will say I love the leasing model for copiers/printers/MFPs. Being able to call someone and say "here, you fix it" and not have to worry about getting charged out the nose is pretty great.

Speaking as the guy that has to fix network and scanning issues on these, I have run into several IT departments claiming their poo poo is fine, then come to find out there's an orange light on that super awesome expensive managed switch.

Some of them are so full of themselves they actually tell our techs to swap out the RAM or HDD on the copier to see if that fixes it without bothering to check their own network.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Today I learned that one of our data centers has a printer named <blahblah>area51.<domain>. The site in question is in Texas, but I thought it was amusing and appropriate for a printer.

Yes, I did learn this from an email chain involving someone at that site not being able to print.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PurpleButterfly posted:

Today I learned that one of our data centers has a printer named <blahblah>area51.<domain>. The site in question is in Texas, but I thought it was amusing and appropriate for a printer.

Yes, I did learn this from an email chain involving someone at that site not being able to print.

"We cannot confirm or deny that the printer Area51 exists and may or may not have a paper jam." -close ticket-

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

univbee posted:

"We cannot confirm or deny that the printer Area51 exists and may or may not have a paper jam." -close ticket-

Not a really well-kept secret, but the AFNET domain is actually registered as Area52, and it was intentional.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Lareous posted:

Speaking as the guy that has to fix network and scanning issues on these, I have run into several IT departments claiming their poo poo is fine, then come to find out there's an orange light on that super awesome expensive managed switch.

Some of them are so full of themselves they actually tell our techs to swap out the RAM or HDD on the copier to see if that fixes it without bothering to check their own network.

I actually do a very similar job. It is amazing how many of the IT guys at our clients don't understand basic terms like 'print server' and 'SNMP'.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

A ticket needs to be sent.

I hate this ticket system. I need to order three parts for a service partner, which shouldn't be a big deal, right?
So I open the ordering thingy for the serial number but it doesn't pull the info for the parts I need so I have to trawl through a fractured documenting system that has 4 different databases for each computer. Quite often I have to ask customers what CPU or whatever they've got because it doesn't say anywhere!
So I find the three parts I need (Motherbaord, PSU and CPU) and put them in the order, right?
Wrong.
Here's what do.
1: Choose partner.
2: Save order.
3: Saving order changed partner, so choose the correct partner again.
4: Save order.
5: Add parts.
6: Adding parts changed partner, change partner again.
7: Save order.
8: Saving order deleted all the parts from the order, add the parts again.
9: Save the order.
10: Choose the correct partner because it changed partner again.
11: save order.
12: Refresh, verify everything is ok.
13: Send the order.
14: Sending order changed partner and deleted parts.
15: Repeat steps 1-13 until successful.

So the next time there's problems with your NBD on-site, this is why. We've made complaints that it can take 15 minutes to send loving parts and quite often the parts end up not being ordered at all or they go to a partner on the other side of the country.
The response?
"Non-issue"
Great.
The sneakiest gently caress is that it can change the partner WHEN YOU SEND THE loving ORDER. If you don't notice that then the parts are gonna end up in bumfuck when they should be in assville and next day the customer is gonna call asking where the gently caress is my service and the partner is gonna call asking where the gently caress are my parts and the other partner will also ask why the gently caress do I have these parts?

But apparently it's a non issue that we're wasting time and money on this. During hte 15 minutes when I make that order I can't take other calls myself because I have to be absolutely focused on making sure that order goes to the right place with all the parts.

Don't even get me started on it randomly dropping contact details. A couple of times a customer has called in saying that we need to change contact details for a ticket, so I change them, customer hangs up, I save the ticket and a pop up appears "Name mandatory!"
And every field is empty.
And despite the pop up it saved it.
HOW?
Nowadays whenever a ticket needs to be made or something in a ticket needs to be changed I write the changes in notepad++ because holy gently caress. One of the bosses saw me doing this once when I just got out of training (one of my team mates told me to do it) and told me I shouldn't, I can trust the system.
Like four tickets logged after that it deleted the contact details when I noticed a typo in a email in another ticket. Oooops.

I also keeps deleting things as you write them sometimes.

I'm not at all frustrated with the main tool of my job, no, it's a non issue. Oh, if the customer calls in whose name I forgot because all the contact details were deleted from his ticket just tell them it's a non issue

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001
Is there an alternative to ConnectWise that doesn't suck so loving hard? Because jesus loving christ connect wise sucks so loving hard.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

organburner posted:

A ticket needs to be sent.

I hate this ticket system. I need to order three parts for a service partner, which shouldn't be a big deal, right?
So I open the ordering thingy for the serial number but it doesn't pull the info for the parts I need so I have to trawl through a fractured documenting system that has 4 different databases for each computer. Quite often I have to ask customers what CPU or whatever they've got because it doesn't say anywhere!
So I find the three parts I need (Motherbaord, PSU and CPU) and put them in the order, right?
Wrong.
Here's what do.
1: Choose partner.
2: Save order.
3: Saving order changed partner, so choose the correct partner again.
4: Save order.
5: Add parts.
6: Adding parts changed partner, change partner again.
7: Save order.
8: Saving order deleted all the parts from the order, add the parts again.
9: Save the order.
10: Choose the correct partner because it changed partner again.
11: save order.
12: Refresh, verify everything is ok.
13: Send the order.
14: Sending order changed partner and deleted parts.
15: Repeat steps 1-13 until successful.

So the next time there's problems with your NBD on-site, this is why. We've made complaints that it can take 15 minutes to send loving parts and quite often the parts end up not being ordered at all or they go to a partner on the other side of the country.
The response?
"Non-issue"
Great.
The sneakiest gently caress is that it can change the partner WHEN YOU SEND THE loving ORDER. If you don't notice that then the parts are gonna end up in bumfuck when they should be in assville and next day the customer is gonna call asking where the gently caress is my service and the partner is gonna call asking where the gently caress are my parts and the other partner will also ask why the gently caress do I have these parts?

But apparently it's a non issue that we're wasting time and money on this. During hte 15 minutes when I make that order I can't take other calls myself because I have to be absolutely focused on making sure that order goes to the right place with all the parts.

Don't even get me started on it randomly dropping contact details. A couple of times a customer has called in saying that we need to change contact details for a ticket, so I change them, customer hangs up, I save the ticket and a pop up appears "Name mandatory!"
And every field is empty.
And despite the pop up it saved it.
HOW?
Nowadays whenever a ticket needs to be made or something in a ticket needs to be changed I write the changes in notepad++ because holy gently caress. One of the bosses saw me doing this once when I just got out of training (one of my team mates told me to do it) and told me I shouldn't, I can trust the system.
Like four tickets logged after that it deleted the contact details when I noticed a typo in a email in another ticket. Oooops.

I also keeps deleting things as you write them sometimes.

I'm not at all frustrated with the main tool of my job, no, it's a non issue. Oh, if the customer calls in whose name I forgot because all the contact details were deleted from his ticket just tell them it's a non issue

I am not above sending anonymous emails to anyone in an org that might need to know about problems like this. (assuming the place is big enough to give plausible deniability)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

John Kruk posted:

I am not above sending anonymous emails to anyone in an org that might need to know about problems like this. (assuming the place is big enough to give plausible deniability)

Eh, I don't think there's any need for that, the problem is they don't care about the country we support since it's so small. They basically told us that they won't start doing any overhauls necessary for it to start working for us since we're supposedly, getting a new system "real soon"
loving Sweden though, they get their poo poo fixed fast if there's some kind of problem.
Come to think of it I haven't heard a swede complain about any of the problems us finns have with the system.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Start a new job starting on Monday. :yotj:

144% raise, still working on Linux, large company, and I am going to contract with my former current boss still. :woop:

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
is there any particular place you guys post your resumes/cv's to with regards to :yotj:?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Killer_B posted:

is there any particular place you guys post your resumes/cv's to with regards to :yotj:?

I got mine from my bosses friend. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Killer_B posted:

LinkedIn. The head hunters pelt you with job offers. There's literally no other reason to care about LinkedIn.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ratbert90 posted:

Start a new job starting on Monday. :yotj:

144% raise, still working on Linux, large company, and I am going to contract with my former current boss still. :woop:

My co-workers try to talk me out of accepting the job I applied for if they offer it. It will suck, I'll hate it, "don't buy fish at a steak house" as if government is known for its amazing IT work. It's also claimed the place I want to go to does not take IT seriously, but their infrastructure will be better than ours once they get finished. Verizon is even installing equipment in the building. They really don't want me to go.

We'll have to see if I get the job or not. I'm amped up for it, but I'm ready for disappointment. I'm excited because I won't just be a computer janitor any more. I know a lot but have not had the chance to get much experience. I've done a bit with AD and Server 2008, created a few production scripts with Powershell and Python. I've not had any experience with VMWare but I'm reading up on that. Too bad I don't have room anywhere for a VM lab.

Biggest problem is they don't actually have anything setup. No AD or equivalent, no ticket system, no nothing. Not sure if they even have their VMWare infrastructure going yet. Luckily the network admin (whom setup AD and VMWare at our location) will be helping getting everything going so whomever gets the job won't be on their own.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 6, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yaos posted:

I've not had any experience with VMWare but I'm reading up on that. Too bad I don't have room anywhere for a VM lab.

Unless you're living in your car, you can build a decent host that won't take up much space at all. We should talk about it in the virtualization or home lab threads.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Yaos posted:

My co-workers try to talk me out of accepting the job I applied for if they offer it. It will suck, I'll hate it, "don't buy fish at a steak house" as if government is known for its amazing IT work. It's also claimed the place I want to go to does not take IT seriously, but their infrastructure will be better than ours once they get finished. Verizon is even installing equipment in the building. They really don't want me to go.

I had a recruiter call me a couple days after I accepted the offer to transfer from the server farm team to messaging and I told him right up front that I had just accepted an offer to be an exchange admin. His response "oh, that's going to be an extremely rough gig and you probably will hate it. I can find you something better." No jackass, you can't. Sorry, but no paycheck for you. Please disappear and never be heard from again like all the other recruiters I've talked to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I get recruiters contacting me to offer me jobs like the one I have but worse. I am not sure why they think I would want those jobs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

guppy posted:

I get recruiters contacting me to offer me jobs like the one I have but worse. I am not sure why they think I would want those jobs.

They don't, you're just product to them.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

guppy posted:

My favorite a couple years ago straight out asked me to lie on my resume.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hell, it's impressive when recruiters actually read enough of my resume to know I'm a Linux admin who lives in Atlanta instead of just spamming me about six-month PC help desk positions in Idaho or some poo poo.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

At least they asked. I had one just "edit" my resume and send it on to a hiring manager.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Electronaut posted:

Depending on the lie, this can be good and expected. If you only state exactly what you did without talking it up and expanding your responsibilities a little, you're competing against everyone else that did that. Even inventing a project that exists only in your mind can be OK if you can talk in detail about what the project would have been had you actually been allowed to implement it. A line gets crossed when you put things on your resume that you actually know nothing about or invent degrees/certs.

Guy Axlerod posted:

At least they asked. I had one just "edit" my resume and send it on to a hiring manager.
Yeah, dumb move by the recruiter. Sets the candidate up to fall really flat on their face for the "tell me about X" question, or to say "that's not on my resume, the recruiter must have added it". Good way to close a lot of doors for the recruiter.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My 'favorite' recruiter story is this:

I was looking for work shortly after college and was in contact with a couple recruiters. One of them gets ahold of me and tells me "I have an interview at company XYZ. They're looking for something that can do this and that." So I go to the interview, and it's going pretty well. Very informal work environment. I talk with my prospective immediate boss and get a chance to ask questions of prospective co-workers, and everything seems to click. Then I get to the boss's boss and give my spiel again, highlighting the things the recruiter told me they were looking for.

The boss's boss pauses... "Well, that's great and all, but XYZ's not what I'm looking for. What I put out the job listing for is someone with ABC -related skills. Now, I'm afraid the work we are hiring for has to be done in a year, and I just don't have the time or money to afford to train you in ABC, so I'm afraid this isn't going to work out. I'm sorry."

Now the thing is, I actually had some knowledge of ABC, but I hadn't looked at it in a year or two. If I'd known about it before the interview, I could have reviewed a few things online in thirty minutes and been fine, but the recruiter totally hosed up and didn't bother to tell me about it. Talking to her afterwards, I could only surmise that she didn't understand what the job listing was asking for.

After blowing that interview, I ended up in a much shittier job for several years because I couldn't find anything else in my area.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

dennyk posted:

Hell, it's impressive when recruiters actually read enough of my resume to know I'm a Linux admin who lives in Atlanta instead of just spamming me about six-month PC help desk positions in Idaho or some poo poo.

I pulled my resumes off of all the recruiting websites 2 years ago. I'm STILL getting 2-3 of these emails per week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dennyk posted:

And I'm a embedded Linux engineer living in Idaho that gets spammed with .net desktop developer positions in Texas. :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Yaos posted:

Roughly translates to "don't take a better opportunity because we'll have to actually do our jobs when you leave". CaseThis especially applies to anyone who's had to pick up the pieces after a problem happens, because other people would rather gently caress off on Youtube or Facebook than do their jobs. Been there, done that, and people like that generally don't last long after you're gone and management sees how lazy or incompetent they are.

Case in point, I worked a contract desktop support job 3 years ago, started in 2009 and left in mid 2011 after a new contract company took over for the old one (that and never got a clear answer on if/when myself or other contract workers would be brought on full-time permanent). Got a couple dollars more an hour for pay, but benefits negated that because they changed who they went through for health benefits, so we basically broke even. I worked 3pm-12am, and for at least a year of that time I was by myself from 5pm -12am because the company couldn't find anyone to work the night shift. Anyhow, ended up taking a better paying full time job closer to home with a more reputable, stable company, and after I left, people got shuffled around on my old shift but couldn't keep up with the same workload I had. 3 people quit within a month after I was gone, our desktop support manager quit, and a couple other people got fired for not doing their jobs. No idea how things are now, just know that some people were sad to see me leave, while others kept trying to push the whole "you're making a mistake" or "we'll have to do more work to cover for you". Take a guess which ones left versus got fired...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can't imagine telling my coworkers I was going for a new job before I put in notice, and I like my coworkers.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
My bosses were the ones that told us about the job and asked us if we wanted it. I was the only one to say yes; one person was brand new and the other person can barley handle what he's doing now. The place I'm going after is in the same organization I'm currently in but they have an internal IT department. Both of them are okay with me leaving, it's the rest of the department that does not want me to go, including the person that told me about the job and asked us if we wanted it. :confused: I think I'll miss the circus if I get the job.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

The Electronaut posted:

My favorite a couple years ago was - why are you searching for work here?

I said I was willing to relocate and wasn't really bothered by where do I end up, yet the woman was still amazed that I was looking in that area (Devon / Cornwall in UK).

• Locked thread