Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No that would be swimming above the rocks.

I'm not sure this wilful misunderstanding of a perfectly cogent sentence that wouldn't confuse a five-year-old is the rich comedy vein you're repping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roger Tangerines posted:

I'm not sure this wilful misunderstanding of a perfectly cogent sentence that wouldn't confuse a five-year-old is the rich comedy vein you're repping

You're telling me you wouldn't at least question the word choice if someone walked up to you and said "don't swim on the rocks"?

Funny pic coming shortly, I'm on my phone.

e:

e2: holy poo poo I have completely forgotten bbcode, how my phone works, or both.

razorrozar has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

"I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

razorrozar posted:

You're telling me you wouldn't at least question the word choice if someone walked up to you and said "don't swim on the rocks"?

I am telling you precisely that.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Elfface posted:

"I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

I remember this being on the news when it happened, and it is genuinely funny.
But I am completely baffled that someone whose job is apparently to deal with people who don't speak Welsh would have their away message for their work email address written in Welsh. Did it not occur to him that a good number of the people likely to see that message would not be able to read it ?
(Unless this Welsh message was also accompanied by the English translation, in which case, carry on as you were.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Roger Tangerines posted:

I am telling you precisely that.

Did your Dad write the sign or something? I'm sorry we laughed at your Dad's poor English skills. I'm sure he tries really hard at his sign writing job.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Memento posted:

Whole bunch of people posting in this thread without realising if there are rocks above the water line, chances are real good there are rocks below the water line as well. The sign means "don't swim here fuckface, in case these rocks aren't enough of a warning, there's a poo poo ton more of them where you can't see them".

Jesus Christ, you goons. It's obviously warning you not to swim when there's ice in the water.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Jesus Christ, you goons. It's obviously warning you not to swim when there's ice in the water.

I prefer my oceans neat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I prefer my oceans neat.

Just be sure not to take them on the rocks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Shaken or stirred?

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

Note that swimming on the rocks is actually safe and easy if you bring the correct equipment:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Did your Dad write the sign or something? I'm sorry we laughed at your Dad's poor English skills. I'm sure he tries really hard at his sign writing job.

Nice try at the old Reversal of Fortune, but you're definitely the one getting rear end-hurt over a stupid picture here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If only there'd been some sort of warning so we could have avoided all this ...

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

Guys, do not Rocks swim on water.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If only there'd been some sort of warning so we could have avoided all this ...

But that sign is on a post. I'm getting mixed messages here...

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.
This rock chat reminded me of these signs in Richfield, Minnesota, and I assume MN in general. I used to hang out and smoke and be a gloomy goony high schooler in this one park, and spent many hours wondering about the thought process behind these signs. I guess I kind of get their intentions, but it just seems like such a weird way to go about it. There's a real boy who cried wolf thing going on too. I guess it is correct like 15% of the time?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
If someone falls in, they can say they had a "thin ice" sign on it and be done with it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Those signs are always posted near inlets/drainage areas of ponds. The flowing water will not freeze as readily as the standing rest of the pond. Most people would assume that if the middle of the pond is frozen thick enough to hold a person, then the entire pond must be thick enough.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No that would be swimming above the rocks.

Note that swimming on the rocks is actually safe and easy if you bring the correct equipment:

This looks like it could turn into a sex thing super easy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LoonShia posted:

You could say that about anything!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WastedJoker posted:

You could say that about anything!

And I have!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LoonShia posted:

People have been inventing bizarre dry swimming machines for over a hundred years and they always end up looking like a combination of a bondage harness and a torture device from the Saw movies:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VinzKlortho posted:

Guys, do not Rocks swim on water.

10/10 would swim with.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Aggro-Gator.com

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Two chinchillas?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

May Contain Nuts posted:

Two chinchillas?

A chinchilla chilling with it's chin on another chinchilla.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
Don't we look down on newbies who post their signs?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Memento posted:

Whole bunch of people posting in this thread without realising if there are rocks above the water line, chances are real good there are rocks below the water line as well. The sign means "don't swim here fuckface, in case these rocks aren't enough of a warning, there's a poo poo ton more of them where you can't see them".

Perhaps the sign should be replaced with something clearer? It's in the funny picture thread because many people look at it and go "WTF does that mean?" Not a good property for a warning sign.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Angela Christine posted:

Perhaps the sign should be replaced with something clearer? It's in the funny picture thread because many people look at it and go "WTF does that mean?" Not a good property for a warning sign.

If your first thought when you see a sign telling you not to do something is, "hm, this isn't very clear," the problem is not the sign.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

I suspect the sign would make a lot more sense at high tide.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A redditor posted:

My daughter's list in case anything happens to her older brother.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Okay, that last one on the list made me laugh.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

If he goes missing I think we know who too question.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Please invite other people to this thread to comment on the rock sign.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Maytag posted:

Please invite other people to this thread to comment on the rock sign.

Voldemort!

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

Beware of signing Rock.

Applaud for singing Rock.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

:smug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect the sign would make a lot more sense at high tide.

That would be a very reasonable thing to think but no, those rocks are never more than a little bit underwater.

It really is as silly as it looks.

• Locked thread