Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've just put a thread up on SA mart to clear my shameful level of new stuff I'm never going to get rid of which was highlighted when I moved and I had to try and explain that it wasnt a colossal waste of money.

Theres bits and pieces for pretty much a lot of armies here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648492

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What do people like on medium-ranged Legion HW Squads? Volkites? How do people like Plasma Cannons?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So people, I just won an Ebay auction for a decently painted blood angel Landraider Redeemer at a very reasonable price (£20).

So if I want hypothetically, I can put any unit in there right (that'll fit). Dedicated transport just means it doesn't take a heavy support slot, not you can only put troops in that have LR's as dedicated.

I'm remembering this correctly (I'm away from home, and access to my rulebooks)?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm not sure if 7th changed it, but you would have to start it on the board empty and have the other unit jump in if it's dedicated for a different unit.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So did someone want full army pictures? Because full army pictures:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cooked Auto posted:

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/07/06/rumor-it-actual-starter-set-confirmation/

So it seems like there is a new starter box coming out relatively soon.

The dude on the left is so happy to be there

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

SRM posted:

So did someone want full army pictures? Because full army pictures:

Yesssss that was meee. That looks so drat good!!! But where are your Landspeeders? The army looks amazing, but lonely without it's metal landspeeders.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

So people, I just won an Ebay auction for a decently painted blood angel Landraider Redeemer at a very reasonable price (£20).

So if I want hypothetically, I can put any unit in there right (that'll fit). Dedicated transport just means it doesn't take a heavy support slot, not you can only put troops in that have LR's as dedicated.

I'm remembering this correctly (I'm away from home, and access to my rulebooks)?

Any unit (speaking just within a single codex no allies considerations) can embark on most Transports (unless it has some rules that says "can't get in vehicles, can't get in a Rhino, etc." or something like that) and yes, Dedicated Transports don't take up FOC slots, even DT Land Raiders.

Dedicated Transport means that only the unit that purchased that DT can start the game DEPLOYED in it. This doesn't mean that unit HAS to start deployed in it or that other units can't get into it later, but you can't buy a Dedicated Transport (like a discounted no-jump-pack-ASM Land Raider) and have a different unit (like a Terminator squad) start the game in it. You would have to spend a turn embarking the Terminator unit onto the transport.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 6, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

God drat it SRM, you glorious bastard.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I guess this may be a question better suited for the painting thread but, well, here goes! About how long did it take you guys to learn how to paint your plastic mans half respectably? I've painted the walls of my house before but nothing so small and detailed as one of these guys!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

Yesssss that was meee. That looks so drat good!!! But where are your Landspeeders? The army looks amazing, but lonely without it's metal landspeeders.

I've got one primed, one unassembled, and most of a third. I had a third one that I ordered, but someone nicked the package off my steps so I don't have it. But thanks!

Fix posted:

:ocelot:

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I guess this may be a question better suited for the painting thread but, well, here goes! About how long did it take you guys to learn how to paint your plastic mans half respectably? I've painted the walls of my house before but nothing so small and detailed as one of these guys!
I started painting models when I was a little kid, then only really started trying to paint them when I was 15 or so. Took me til I was about 18 to do stuff that I can still stomach seeing on the tabletop. Granted that was before washes, the current system of GW paints, a lot of the tutorials you have out there now, and so on. You could become a pretty good painter pretty quickly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pacheeco posted:

Any unit (speaking just within a single codex no allies considerations) can embark on most Transports (unless it has some rules that says "can't get in vehicles, can't get in a Rhino, etc." or something like that) and yes, Dedicated Transports don't take up FOC slots, even DT Land Raiders.

Dedicated Transport means that only the unit that purchased that DT can start the game DEPLOYED in it. This doesn't mean that unit HAS to start deployed in it or that other units can't get into it later, but you can't buy a Dedicated Transport (like a discounted no-jump-pack-ASM Land Raider) and have a different unit (like a Terminator squad) start the game in it. You would have to spend a turn embarking the Terminator unit onto the transport.

Soooo, if i understand correctly. If i take a Land Raider in the Heavy Support slot and not as a dedicated unit, i can throw anything (Legal) in there and it can start the game onboard?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A long time, but that's because I paint so slowly and am scared of new techniques. Some people get very good very quickly these days, just by trying out all sorts of fantastic things that didn't exist when I was a kid. Don't be scared, just get some cheap models you don't really care about, some decent brushes because poo poo brushes will make you paint like poo poo, and paint your arse off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Using your arse to paint is the latest new technique. It's the new dip painting, what you do is get you one of those bulb syringes fill your rear end with GW paint stick the figures in a bucket and then just let her rip. Then you can really call it art.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
SRM you still remain and will probably always be, my favourite miniature painter on this forum.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've been painting seriously for about a decade.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've been painting for just over 3 years now, and it probably took around a year to get to alright-ish tabletop quality. Never underestimate the massive advantage that youtube tutorials offer!

However, in a similar vein to what Lungboy said, it takes me forever to paint things and I tend to screw up more advanced techniques so I've sorta plateaued skill-wise. Still have fun though!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Soooo, if i understand correctly. If i take a Land Raider in the Heavy Support slot and not as a dedicated unit, i can throw anything (Legal) in there and it can start the game onboard?

Normally yes, but BA doesn't have Heavy Support Land Raiders. All BA Land Raiders are Dedicated Transports which means you can buy as many of them as you have legal units to purchase them with but you can't just buy a floating Land Raider as a Heavy Support choice. They are different from other "Space Marine" codexes in that regard. The only Heavy slot Transport BA has is the Stormraven which any "legal" unit can start deployed in.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It took about a year of painting almost every day, painting models from multiple armies and using a bunch of different techniques, to get to the level I am at now, which is maybe a tiny bit above "tabletop quality". Obviously that is subjective though. My work pales in comparison to some of the stuff posted here (which, on average, is FAR beyond tabletop quality) and in other places online but it's well beyond "Thin Your Paints" and "Pro-Painted eBay" quality. You just have to be consistent and diligent with it; painting is a skill and just like any other skill you only get better at it if you practice constantly.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No big deal. I have a Red and Gold themed space marine army which i play as Red Templars or a Blood Angel successor chapter as the mood takes me. I'll most probably strip and repaint the LR anyway, it was more the decent price i bought it for than the paint job.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Took me years to paint to an acceptable standard and that is mostly because I am a lazy painter.

Read up and take your time. Your models will look like arse until the last few layers. It is worth it.

SRM you keep inspiring me to post my army. I just need to get a few more Cyborks painted up...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Raphus C posted:

Took me years to paint to an acceptable standard and that is mostly because I am a lazy painter.

Read up and take your time. Your models will look like arse until the last few layers. It is worth it.

SRM you keep inspiring me to post my army. I just need to get a few more Cyborks painted up...
I'd love to see more armies getting posted! There haven't been enough army photos getting posted lately. Laziness is the enemy of getting better though - I plateaued for a few years until I started to try new techniques with my Valhallans and then my Ultramarines. I'm looking forward to painting something a little more mellow and forgiving for a while though, just to recharge.

serious gaylord posted:

SRM you still remain and will probably always be, my favourite miniature painter on this forum.
:allears: oh, you

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've been painting models since I was a kid (my first attempts at Heroquest models should be a criminal offense) but I really only got into it when I was about 17--which is a good 13 years ago and about the time that 3rd edition 40k really got going. I'd say I only really started getting good around 5 years ago or so, when I started dedicating myself to it--and about 3 years ago I had a jump in quality and speed when I started taking commissions. That alone helped motivate my rear end and try out all sorts of techniques, painting styles, and products.

Right now is one of the best times to start painting. There's all sorts of stuff out there to speed the process along and make your stuff look good with minimal effort--washes, dry pigments, glazes, etc. can really help make even the most barebone paint job look tabletop ready.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Man, Trukks really are more terrible than ever. Not only is there all the stuff in the new codex, but flame weapons hit the passengers of Open Topped vehicles now. Those things are a rolling barbeque for anyone except MANz.

Speaking of MANz... killsaws on everyone, right? A kombi-weapon is just a trap, because Orks aren't going to hit with the one-shot. Twin shootas might do something, but an extra attack with Armourbane for 10 points? Seems like that's what's going to do more.

The relic Blitzbike doesn't seem worthwhile, compared to a regular bike. Unless... can bikes join infantry squads now? Could be worth it to turbo-boost a doc or KFF about, but a single character on their own is a sitting duck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

I'd love to see more armies getting posted! There haven't been enough army photos getting posted lately. Laziness is the enemy of getting better though - I plateaued for a few years until I started to try new techniques with my Valhallans and then my Ultramarines. I'm looking forward to painting something a little more mellow and forgiving for a while though, just to recharge.

Once I finish the Chimera and Leman Russ I've got to assemble and paint I might do another attempt at a decent army picture. My previous one I did was kinda sloppy.
Either after that or when I finish the Forest Rangers mark 2 because since I want to do more Veteran conversions for my army instead of just normal infantry platoons which I've got enough of as it is.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Elfface posted:

Man, Trukks really are more terrible than ever. Not only is there all the stuff in the new codex, but flame weapons hit the passengers of Open Topped vehicles now. Those things are a rolling barbeque for anyone except MANz.

Speaking of MANz... killsaws on everyone, right? A kombi-weapon is just a trap, because Orks aren't going to hit with the one-shot. Twin shootas might do something, but an extra attack with Armourbane for 10 points? Seems like that's what's going to do more.

The relic Blitzbike doesn't seem worthwhile, compared to a regular bike. Unless... can bikes join infantry squads now? Could be worth it to turbo-boost a doc or KFF about, but a single character on their own is a sitting duck.

MANz with kombi-skorchas or whatever are still pretty good. They can torch something before the assault, which is pretty handy. I'm guessing Slow and Purposeful still can't overwatch though, because that would be genuinely useful. Twin shootas are okay, but the new dual chainfist setup is pretty neat.

Also, for those talking about getting better, here's two Apothecaries. The one on the right's from 2005, the one on the left is from May this year:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

SRM, I love your Retrohammer guys. Do/have you play 2nd edition 40k or are your Ultras a painting project?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BeigeJacket posted:

SRM, I love your Retrohammer guys.

Same. Takes me back to when I... actually played :P

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SRM posted:

MANz with kombi-skorchas or whatever are still pretty good. They can torch something before the assault, which is pretty handy. I'm guessing Slow and Purposeful still can't overwatch though, because that would be genuinely useful. Twin shootas are okay, but the new dual chainfist setup is pretty neat.

Also, for those talking about getting better, here's two Apothecaries. The one on the right's from 2005, the one on the left is from May this year:

SRM are you saying in 9 years you have still not learned to drill your bolters? :( , also I still paint like the model on the right i think I've been playing like 20 years, not painting though.

I kid those are so amazing. Next up 2nd edition Down Syndrome Orks ??? Yes?

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fix posted:

Yes, this. That lurid green display board. That, that... everything.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
SRM you totally have to enter that into Armies on Parade. Are they even doing Armies on Parade this year? I actually live near a GW store for once...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I really enjoy your stuff, too, SRM.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BeigeJacket posted:

SRM, I love your Retrohammer guys. Do/have you play 2nd edition 40k or are your Ultras a painting project?
Thanks! I have all the stuff to play 2nd, but I don't actually play. I Use these guys in standard 40k games of 7th edition. They are chiefly a painting project though, as since October I've painted almost 3000 points and only played 7 games with them.

Hollismason posted:

SRM are you saying in 9 years you have still not learned to drill your bolters? :( , also I still paint like the model on the right i think I've been playing like 20 years, not painting though.

I kid those are so amazing. Next up 2nd edition Down Syndrome Orks ??? Yes?
The barrel is drilled on the newer Apothecary! It just doesn't show due to the angle. I've been drilling metal bolters, dagnabbit! :corsair:
I've got the 2nd ed starter box worth of Orks and a buddy of mine has offered to sell me his excess retro Orks for cheap, but I'm holding off for now. That would be a really fun project, but so many goddamn models.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

SRM you totally have to enter that into Armies on Parade. Are they even doing Armies on Parade this year? I actually live near a GW store for once...
I just checked and the closest official GW store is in New York City. I'm in Boston. Are there even any GWs on the east coast anymore? God dang. I'd absolutely love to enter it into an Armies on Parade dealie if I could. I made up the display board and the bastion for a tournament that was going to happen last month, but it was unfortunately canceled at the last minute so this is the first time I've ever gotten to break it out.

krushgroove posted:

I really enjoy your stuff, too, SRM.
Thank you kindly! I try to make the oath art before I make a new oath every month, and it's what keeps me honest(ish) :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is the only army I've ever finished. It contains 26 models. 3 of which are tanks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Tiny model counts, best way to finish an army. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Them's some good lookin Grey Knights, but god drat that mud is awesome. The weathering on the troops is good but the mud stuck to those tank treads looks so right, like the Grey Knights were called to fight on a daemon world made entirely of chocolate cake.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Them's some good lookin Grey Knights, but god drat that mud is awesome. The weathering on the troops is good but the mud stuck to those tank treads looks so right, like the Grey Knights were called to fight on a daemon world made entirely of chocolate cake.

Cheers. That was my first attempt at any kind of weathering.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Don't Boarding Planks cost 15 points?

They do! poo poo! I'll fix that!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It looks really great and is a great contrast to the "bright" silver of the models.

Also SRM a small squad of real 2nd edition orks would make a great Diorama, just saying....

edit:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 6, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

It looks really great and is a great contrast to the "bright" silver of the models.

Also SRM a small squad of real 2nd edition orks would make a great Diorama, just saying....

So far all I've got for retro bad guys are the first mob of Stealers I painted for Space Hulk:

Part of me wants to paint the handful of RT Guard I've got as Genestealer Cult to roll with them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have some 2nd edition Orks and Gretchin knocking around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Your stuff is fantastic, SRM.

Hm. I didn't really think about screening with the buggies. That might make them more worthwhile, yeah. Hmmm. I'll have to playtest it some. Might end up painting both versions, since I'm doing display stuff too anyway!

Hmm. Could drop two more gitz and a meganob from each unit to keep the buggies in the alternate version.... Decisions decisions. I found just five gitz rather effective in my first game, but that was just one game, so...

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread