Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Very nice Ensign, I think its one of the better ones youve posted in this thread so far. And it reminds me that I should really post something in this thread. Im working on Tristars 1/35 Storch at the moment, its a really nice kit and one of the few 1/35 WWII airplanes out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
1/76 Revall Panzer Ausf F

http://imgur.com/a/kkqkS

Not entirely finished but is a huge breath of fresh air after trying to do a 1/35 of a panzer III G. I did make some mistakes though while assembling but sometimes the parts just didn't go in right but I've learned a lot from this and will now try to make the parts fit in better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think you put the autocannon on backwards. I did that with my first run of that kit. It looks cute as all hell when it's finished, doesn't it?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Arquinsiel posted:

I think you put the autocannon on backwards. I did that with my first run of that kit. It looks cute as all hell when it's finished, doesn't it?

The fat part goes into the turret thingy (at least thats what it looks like in the instructions) so I think it's right, and yes it does look cute as hell especially if I paint it as I'm debating the cost of buying paint for now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chillyrabbit posted:

The fat part goes into the turret thingy (at least thats what it looks like in the instructions) so I think it's right, and yes it does look cute as hell especially if I paint it as I'm debating the cost of buying paint for now.
Yeah, digging it seems that was the mistake I made too: trusting the instructions. Here is a picture of an actual Panzer II ausf F turret, and it's the other way around. That said, I had a further problem with mine being one of the randomly better toolings you occasionally find, so the gun had a nice taper and clear muzzle brake to it which I decided to cover in glue and stick into the relevant hole. Ah well.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Finished the SU76M tank destroyer self-propelled artillery:

Really liking this salt + hairspray thing now.

Also the first time I've ever bothered with PE; the diagonal slat thingies on the side are the tiniest thing I think I've ever glued to a model.

Ridiculous.

Overall, this kit wasn't as good as the last one; some flash, ejector pin marks everywhere, fit problems and oddly crap instructions that mislabel parts and leave some out. I also present, without comment, section 5 of the instructions:

Yeah. Turned out OK though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Ridiculous.

Nebakenezzer posted:

For the first time I finished a kit where Photoetch was a major part of the kit. Were the pieces small? Well...

(It's an eye-hole. Oh and you need to bend it in the middle.)

:smugdog:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bah.

There were actually smaller PE bits with the kit I didn't bother with. I don't know how the hell anyone deals with that stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks great!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Unkempt posted:

Bah.

There were actually smaller PE bits with the kit I didn't bother with. I don't know how the hell anyone deals with that stuff.

I've gotten to this point too.

gently caress GERMAN TOOL CLAMPS FOREVER!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've gotten to this point too.

gently caress GERMAN TOOL CLAMPS FOREVER!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

haha basically welcome to n scale trains.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Speaking of teeny tiny models, someone re-upped this show which i love pieces, 1/72 diorama with a revell pz3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvyLa18a0c
if its considered files just tell me and ill take the link down

It's made me want to make my own 1/72 diorama so badly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In case anyone is interested, the Mig Jimenez site has re-issued the first issue of The Weathering Magazine, and will likely do that to the first few issues: http://www.migjimenez.com/en/36-english-version

I was able to find #2 on a UK model site so now I've got all the issues in hand or coming to me, except for #3, "Chipping".

If anyone hasn't see the magazine, every issue is about one particular type of weathering: Rust, Chipping, Dust, Mud, Snow & Ice, Grease & Oil and Kursk & Vegetation are the only issues so far. It's kind of like a normal model magazine but the steps skip the build of the model and review of the kit and go straight to making the weathering effects. I suppose you can get much of the same info from YouTube videos or collections of printed articles, but it's pretty nice to have them collected in one bundle of articles so you can instantly access them.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

In the same line, I've had this bookmarked for over a decade: The cliffnotes version of the above. Five illustrated articles Mig wrote on missing lynx (rain marks, washes, filters, chipped paint and pigments). click me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hi, I'm a newcomer to model building and I was looking at this model JS-2. It's really expensive and I was wondering if it was worth it to pay premium for one of these. Is Tamiya a good brand? Sorry for asking what must seem to be stupid questions.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you want to see some truly awful photoetch, look no further than trumpeter's 1/32 jets.

It's like an eyelet, with a little protrusion that you put inside one side of the control surface and then use the other side to sandwich it. Then you slide a metal rod past the first one and into another loose eyelt, then repeat with the second and third control eyelet. Then you mount those new eyelets into the wing, and sandwich it in.

Oh, and they are not brass, but they are made of some pot metal.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Hi, I'm a newcomer to model building and I was looking at [url=http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-48-scale-military-miniatures-10500/russian-heavy-tank-js-2-1944-32571this[/url] model JS-2. It's really expensive and I was wondering if it was worth it to pay premium for one of these. Is Tamiya a good brand? Sorry for asking what must seem to be stupid questions.

Tamiya is one of the better brands IMO and one of my favorites. Their paints and glues are great too. And don't worry it's not a dumb question. There's plenty of bad kits out there.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Hi, I'm a newcomer to model building and I was looking at this model JS-2. It's really expensive and I was wondering if it was worth it to pay premium for one of these. Is Tamiya a good brand? Sorry for asking what must seem to be stupid questions.

Cheaper here.

These guys are good for finding reviews of kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

$40 isn't expensive for 1:35th scale armour. Yes, you can probably find it for $30 if you look around, but kits from $60 and up in this scale are not uncommon with the bigger vehicles.

Edit: oh, I'm dumb, I forgot Tamiya's tendency to make the same thing in 1:35 and 1:48. Yeah, $40 is a bit too steep then, but I haven't noticed a tendency for 1:48th kits to be (that much) cheaper than their 1:35th counterparts.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Are they supposed to look so deformed?

Smoking Crow posted:

I've made a Tiger I from the same series, they're definitely comparable to the 1/35 models on detail if not on parts count and overall Tamiya makes a decent solid model. Though they are guilty of making the occasional lazy model.

God drat those import premiums are shocking though. That's absolutely ridiculous considering the thing is $15 bucks delivered on Amazon Japan.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Already said hello in the gunpla thread so I'll check in here too.

Aside from HO trains as a wee lad I'm a newb with models. Got lucky while scavenging the shed and found an F-15 kit in JASDF colours, nippon bonzai etc.

gently caress waterslides. That is all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

RillAkBea posted:

I've made a Tiger I from the same series, they're definitely comparable to the 1/35 models on detail if not on parts count and overall Tamiya makes a decent solid model. Though they are guilty of making the occasional lazy model.

God drat those import premiums are shocking though. That's absolutely ridiculous considering the thing is $15 bucks delivered on Amazon Japan.

Just put together two Tamiya 1/48 tank kits as well, and only hosed up a little bit. They seemed quite beginner friendly to me. I have ordered an airbrush, so I'll do some experimenting on them and post the results.

I did end up building the entire kits before painting them. Is that a bad idea? Should I paint the individual parts and then assemble?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ScottyWired posted:

gently caress waterslides. That is all.

Go make a rally car then come back and we'll talk.
Waterslides the size of credit-cards. :negative:

lilljonas posted:

I did end up building the entire kits before painting them. Is that a bad idea? Should I paint the individual parts and then assemble?

I think it's a matter of preference vs. the model itself. Tanks you can pretty much stick together then paint sure, personally when I've made tanks I like to leave the accessories and wheels off and paint them separately but there are plenty of people who stick it all together then detail. Now I mostly make car models where you have complicated three dimensional assemblies like suspensions that are just gonna suck to paint if you stick it together first so I've assembled an army of cocktail sticks and polystyrene blocks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Just put together two Tamiya 1/48 tank kits as well, and only hosed up a little bit. They seemed quite beginner friendly to me. I have ordered an airbrush, so I'll do some experimenting on them and post the results.

I usually paint the insides of turrets before gluing them together, as it's usually a pain in the rear end after. There were definitely some suspensions that I wish I had painted in advance. Otherwise, I paint after.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Sanguine posted:

That is a gorgeous Tornado, bravo.

How did you do the weathering around the control surfaces? It looks great, I want to try something like that (though it'll just wind up looking like an awkward black blob).

I've only just seen this so sorry.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by control surfaces, but if you mean the weathering around the flaps and such it was a combination of sponge chipping and just using a very small brush and chipping in by hand with a dark grey. Hope this helps thanks for the compliment.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

big_g posted:

I've only just seen this so sorry.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by control surfaces, but if you mean the weathering around the flaps and such it was a combination of sponge chipping and just using a very small brush and chipping in by hand with a dark grey. Hope this helps thanks for the compliment.

Cheers! I'm nearing the pointy end of a 1/48 I-15 that I'm going to use as a weathering test bed, so I'll be sure to give it a shot (well, something appropriate for cloth covered bits at least).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sanguine posted:

Cheers! I'm nearing the pointy end of a 1/48 I-15 that I'm going to use as a weathering test bed, so I'll be sure to give it a shot (well, something appropriate for cloth covered bits at least).

That's, uh, a tank, right? Not a Japanese submarine? :stare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a biplane.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
^^^^

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's, uh, a tank, right? Not a Japanese submarine? :stare:

Not that a 2m long submarine model wouldn't be awesome, but really by that point you may as well build a fully functioning launch-pad towing sub.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Here's the thing I was working on, again a larger scale than I normally build.

It's a Dragon 1:16th scale Warrior Series Schutz. I took some liberties with the assembly, as the ammo box is from a seemingly standard MG-42 sprue and isn't supposed to be included. I had to make the handle myself out of some wire.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I don't currently have any pictures, but I've finally started making some good progress on this 1/24 Tamiya Skyline R32 kit and good lord, the amount of detail is staggering. Working on this after finishing up that Revell Huey, the difference is mindblowing. So much love and attention were put into this thing, there's fiddly little suspension and exhaust bits everywhere. I'll try and get some photos of it tomorrow once everything is dry and set. I somehow lost the radiator hose while shuffling pieces around, so that's a bummer, but otherwise it's turning out decently. I'm taking a few liberties with paint color, such as making the valve cover a nice bright blue and the hood flat black (it came clear and I don't have the paint to color match it to the factory molded graphite body, so hey, it's a track thrasher :v: ), so if nothing else it's gonna be a nice custom job for me. I think I'm sold on Tamiya kits now, they're just wonderfully done :h:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I don't currently have any pictures, but I've finally started making some good progress on this 1/24 Tamiya Skyline R32 kit and good lord, the amount of detail is staggering. Working on this after finishing up that Revell Huey, the difference is mindblowing. So much love and attention were put into this thing, there's fiddly little suspension and exhaust bits everywhere. I'll try and get some photos of it tomorrow once everything is dry and set. I somehow lost the radiator hose while shuffling pieces around, so that's a bummer, but otherwise it's turning out decently. I'm taking a few liberties with paint color, such as making the valve cover a nice bright blue and the hood flat black (it came clear and I don't have the paint to color match it to the factory molded graphite body, so hey, it's a track thrasher :v: ), so if nothing else it's gonna be a nice custom job for me. I think I'm sold on Tamiya kits now, they're just wonderfully done :h:

Tamiya is the best all around auto kit maker IMO. Great molds, excellent detail. The Lotus 79 I built earlier in the year was amazing, even included engine wiring which is relatively unheard of in 1/20th scale outside of the resin kits like Model Factory Hiro or Studio 27. Fujimi comes close in a few cases but their plastic is brittle.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

T1g4h posted:

It's a freaking amazing kit right? That kit put me on a huge Tamiya car kit binge. Admittedly I've become so anal over the models that combined with my heavy work schedule my R32 is only just nearing completion now. I have every single piece finished but I'm still not satisfied with the finish on the body and I'm repainting the bonnet again to get it just right. (Danger: Airbrushes, auto models and super fine grit papers are habit forming when mixed)

I was actually disappointed to find that the later Skylines didn't recieve anywhere near the same amount detail. Of the ones I've picked up the only production car kits that have full engine modelling are the Mazda RX-7 R1, Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) and the Honda NSX. Oh and the limited edition Calsonic R32 GT-R (Gr.A) that I found at a second hand the other week. :getin:

I will put in a good word here for Fujimi and Aoshima though, while their fine detail is often lacking beyond the car body they do make more of an effort than Tamiya to release a model of every Japanese production car as well as numerous custom kits, while Tamiya are much more selective in what they build.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm already looking into picking up another Tamiya kit after this one is done, i'm deeply impressed by the work they put into them now! I've seen an '88 Porsche 911 Turbo kit online and with my ridiculous (fanboyish) love of Porsches, it's looking well worth the $29 price tag :v:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I'm already looking into picking up another Tamiya kit after this one is done, i'm deeply impressed by the work they put into them now! I've seen an '88 Porsche 911 Turbo kit online and with my ridiculous (fanboyish) love of Porsches, it's looking well worth the $29 price tag :v:

I built the Porsche 934 kit a few months ago and it was amazing. Not sure if you're into racecars though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

T1g4h posted:

After taking a look over here (in moon language but click on the pictures) I'd hold off if I were you. It looks like one of Tamiya's lazy kits. It's got the metal axle poles front and back so no steering articulation and bizarrely it doesn't even have any brake assemblies. Heck, I'm about finished speed-building a bloody Honda CRX and even that has steering and brakes, what the hell Tamiya?

Edit: Looking around it looks like "what the hell" is that half the parts are from a "Snap-Loc" kit of another 911.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 14, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

George Zimmer posted:

I built the Porsche 934 kit a few months ago and it was amazing. Not sure if you're into racecars though.

I'm very into them, I didn't know they made that kit! The site I usually go through doesn't have it listed, so thanks for letting me know about that one.

RillAkBea posted:

After taking a look over here (in moon language but click on the pictures) I'd hold off if I were you. It looks like one of Tamiya's lazy kits. It's got the metal axle poles front and back so no steering articulation and bizarrely it doesn't even have any brake assemblies. Heck, I'm about finished speed-building a bloody Honda CRX and even that has steering and brakes, what the hell Tamiya?

Edit: Looking around it looks like "what the hell" is that half the parts are from a "Snap-Loc" kit of another 911.

Aww, damnit. Shame, because the 930 is probably my favorite generation of 911. At least there's the 934 kit mentioned above though.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I just put together the first models I've done in about 20 years. They're not anywhere near as complicated or impressive as some of the stuff y'all are doing, but it was fun:

There took me a total of about 3 and a half hours to do. They're metal, obviously, and fairly inexpensive (i think each cost me six bucks). The company that makes these does a lot more http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth/viewall but some of them look like total pains to put together. Anyway now I have some neat models for my desk at work :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh hey! I have some of their Star Wars stuff that I forgot about. It looks cool made up.