Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just read that Surviving Jack was shitcanned. Did they really not do anything good with that? You'd think they'd get poo poo My Dad Says right the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The best Drunk History segment is the one about Chris Romano's father that I have no idea whether it's remotely true or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

I'm agreeing with Irish Joe a lot these days.

He's right about Axe Cop being bad too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
More and more this thread becomes a Tower of Babel

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fox ADHD was so embarassing because they were this close. The idea of giving a bunch of young people an animation studio and letting them go hog wild was a surprisingly ballsy move, the problem is that instead of pulling established talent from the internet they gave it to a bunch of shithead art school grads who couldn't do anything but parrot internet memes and mindlessly copy internet trends in the least interesting way possible. It could have been Cartoon Hangover With A Budget And Less Tumblr, instead it was tepid Oatmeal/Cracked.com "oh man you guys remember the 90s?! :buddy:" non-humor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

scary ghost dog posted:

More and more this thread becomes a Tower of Babel

It's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce and thinking "How hot could it be?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scary ghost dog posted:

I bet you think drunk history sucks because drunk people aren't funny.

It's not super funny but the reenactments are pretty good sometimes. They could definitely stand to get more creative people to gently caress up the history though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I like drunk history for the history not the drunks.

Watch a documentary instead.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

FilthyImp posted:

I just read that Surviving Jack was shitcanned. Did they really not do anything good with that? You'd think they'd get poo poo My Dad Says right the second time.

It wasn't amazing but still pretty watchable. It had it's moments, I thought. I pretty much love Christoper Meloni in anything though, so I might be a little biased.

Honestly I was a little bummed when it got cancelled, because I like to have a couple sitcoms to keep up with when I don't want to watch something "long". Not a lot of them make it past their first seasons anymore, it seems :(

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

precision posted:

It's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce and thinking "How hot could it be?"

Alcohol should be replaced with Tabasco in Drunk History. Then it would be entertaining.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sober posted:

Watch a documentary instead.

I do usually.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only ever really liked Lucas Brothers Moving Company in ADHD.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey I can finally post here again, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Also, The Leftovers fuckin rules, just fyi

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not a big fan of leftovers myself.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I put in tosh.0 in the background earlier today and id never seen it before. Is it always so...racist? I don't think I'm overly sensitive about this sort of stuff, but it was like non-stop jokes about Mexicans and Asians.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xandu posted:

I put in tosh.0 in the background earlier today and id never seen it before. Is it always so...racist? I don't think I'm overly sensitive about this sort of stuff, but it was like non-stop jokes about Mexicans and Asians.

It's Daniel Tosh, so yes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

Tosh's whole thing is that he uses being "edgy" as a cover for a lack of talent and a shield from criticism. See: his response to being heckled being a jokeless tirade about how he hoped the heckler got raped, and when people made fun of him for it he whined about how feminists were persecuting him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daniel Tosh came here (New Orleans) on his tour a couple years ago and his very first joke was about Hurricane Katrina washing us all away. I didn't attend the show but several of my friends did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only Daniel Tosh thing I've seen is him making fun of those Cold Steel swords and it's hilarious.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Daniel Tosh came here (New Orleans) on his tour a couple years ago and his very first joke was about Hurricane Katrina washing us all away. I didn't attend the show but several of my friends did.

I can't think of a better way to start the show

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Despite being a " Storm's a-comin' " episode, Halt and Catch Fire actually made a decent episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Tosh's whole thing is that he uses being "edgy" as a cover for a lack of talent and a shield from criticism. See: his response to being heckled being a jokeless tirade about how he hoped the heckler got raped, and when people made fun of him for it he whined about how feminists were persecuting him.

That's a bad example because most comedians can't improv.

That's why shows like @Midnight are so heavily scripted. And yet Chris Hardwick is not even funny with a team of writers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

That's a bad example because most comedians can't improv.

That's why shows like @Midnight are so heavily scripted. And yet Chris Hardwick is not even funny with a team of writers.
Hey now :mad:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He really isn't.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
He's a competent talk show host who figured out how to maximize his brand through nerd appeal. I don't love or hate @midnight but how funny it is depends entirely on how funny the panel is.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

feedmyleg posted:

He really isn't.

I need to hear Irish Joe, arbiter of taste before I can decide.

Hardwick got a lot more bearable in the last 1-2 years. He was really, really obnoxious regularly on the Nerdist podcast before.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chris Hardwick is never funny but sometimes he is almost charming. And then he yells "POINTS!" and I'm like "why does this show even have a goddamn host" :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Are there really people that would argue that Chris Hardwick is funny on his own?

Decius posted:

Hardwick got a lot more bearable in the last 1-2 years. He was really, really obnoxious regularly on the Nerdist podcast before.

I never listened to the podcast but I tried watching the TV show once or twice and I was never able to make it through an entire episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

It's a shame, because Meloni was so good in it that it didn't matter that the show was essentially just another throwback show with some plot lines that didn't really make the most sense. It was a good laugh I thought.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Fox ADHD was so embarassing because they were this close. The idea of giving a bunch of young people an animation studio and letting them go hog wild was a surprisingly ballsy move, the problem is that instead of pulling established talent from the internet they gave it to a bunch of shithead art school grads who couldn't do anything but parrot internet memes and mindlessly copy internet trends in the least interesting way possible. It could have been Cartoon Hangover With A Budget And Less Tumblr, instead it was tepid Oatmeal/Cracked.com "oh man you guys remember the 90s?! :buddy:" non-humor.

I really liked High School USA, Lucas Bros and Golan. I agree with others that Axe Cop was a fun blast a few times but it didn't grab me enough to keep watching. I'd be happy if the other 3 got relocated to Adult Swim though, Lucas Bros *definitely* need to get something permanent on the air.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xandu posted:

Usually more misogynistic than racist, but yes, also quite racist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, [as] is trying to move to primetime, so

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been catching up with Workaholics. Just watched the episode where they massacre a bunch of rats. I found it to be in really bad taste and not particularly funny. I know it's all special effects but it's really disappointing that a show I generally find to be pretty clever would dedicate a huge chunk of an episode to smashing animals with bats.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Book Barn/TVIV hybrid question: are there any good books about The X-Files out there? Not novelizations or whatever, but rather books about the show itself, the making of, how influential it was, maybe cool background info about the spoooooky stories?

I remember the Books of the Unexplained being interesting though I haven't read them since the show was on.

This is a 2008 compilation of the ones I had, I think. There are some related books in the also-bought and bought-together sections so check those out too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PantsBandit posted:

I've been catching up with Workaholics. Just watched the episode where they massacre a bunch of rats. I found it to be in really bad taste and not particularly funny. I know it's all special effects but it's really disappointing that a show I generally find to be pretty clever would dedicate a huge chunk of an episode to smashing animals with bats.

Well let's be honest, it's not a particularly smart show. They've ramped up the gross out humour this year because they needed a new angle because it was getting in a bit of a rut. Thought it was stupid, silly fun personally. The bit with the fish was as bad if not worse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Book Barn/TVIV hybrid question: are there any good books about The X-Files out there? Not novelizations or whatever, but rather books about the show itself, the making of, how influential it was, maybe cool background info about the spoooooky stories?

Kumail nanjiani started a podcast reviewing the show from it's beginning, the x-files files

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PantsBandit posted:

I just plain stopped watching it during the first half of Season 4. To me, it isn't as good anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Workaholics had one near-perfect season, then a not so great one with a couple of episodes that were way better than the rest, then a mostly great one, then a pretty bad one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hey Deadpool this Key and Peele show is pretty good, thanks for the rec.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Kumail nanjiani started a podcast reviewing the show from it's beginning, the x-files files

This is a really amazing podcast. He reads the old usenet posts from when the shows first aired. Trolling used to be really different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Hey Deadpool this Key and Peele show is pretty good, thanks for the rec.

Key and Peele were pretty good on Fargo.

• Locked thread