Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I fired this up having not playing it in ages and after just two games I remember why I stopped. The first mission I lost a dude to a sectoid who literally pops out of thin air and gets a flank shot on my dude. I'm a little annoyed but I figure one casualty isn't too bad and finish the mission. The next mission I'm dealing with a mind-meld sectoid pair who are a bit damaged. I have control over the situation and can finish with a grenade, so I let two other guys take potshots. They miss so I throw a grenade and it disappears through the world geometry and I take two casualties the next turn. Not gonna bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Buck Turgidson posted:

I fired this up having not playing it in ages and after just two games I remember why I stopped. The first mission I lost a dude to a sectoid who literally pops out of thin air and gets a flank shot on my dude.
If an enemy squad appears on their turn, they can't fire their weapons. Even when enemies literally drop from the sky in some missions, they're not allowed to shoot until their next turn, specifically to avoid situations like that.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
No I mean the sectoids had already been discovered/activated and I knew where they were, I had vision of their approach and I had guys on overwatch. One of the already activated sectoids just magically appeared next to my recruit and shot him point blank. This was different to the sudden discovery bug that happens where a squad just appears out of no-where, which can still REALLY bone you if you sprinted a dude or two (like to catch up with the squad pre-discovery "conga line") and they appear mid turn.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
How the hell do I deal with thin man's poison spit in the early game, other than sinking unreasonable amount of time into rushing for sealed armor? I had to give up on an ironman run at the battleship mission because the first thin man wave basically did nothing but spit instead of shooting.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Brotato Broth posted:

How the hell do I deal with thin man's poison spit in the early game, other than sinking unreasonable amount of time into rushing for sealed armor? I had to give up on an ironman run at the battleship mission because the first thin man wave basically did nothing but spit instead of shooting.

Have you tried grenades? As soon as I see those assholes I just blow them up.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

Have you tried grenades? As soon as I see those assholes I just blow them up.

I try to nade them whenever I can, but the battleship's layout makes it really hard to get grenade hits, let alone rifle shots. I had to savescum my way through on the last run, now that I'm on ironman (and got the mission chain really early again, for whatever reason) it's a roadblock.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Medikits don't make you immune to their spit in LW?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Medikits don't make you immune to their spit in LW?

They only neutralize it. On the plus side, the Thin Men spit Acid in LW, so you can just hunker down and wait it out. Unless you are flanked. Spoiler Alert: you will probably be flanked.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Whups, thought I was being clever having my medic tank their spits - no damaged ticked, but of course it is not poison anymore.

Can you see the stats of equipment before you build it somehow? There's lots of new items in LW and their descriptions don't always tell me enough about what they do.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Is acid bugged in the current build, or is there only a chance of taking damaeg? I had to take a shot with one of my guys who had acid, and he didn't take any damage. I've been afraid to try again though.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Is acid bugged in the current build, or is there only a chance of taking damaeg? I had to take a shot with one of my guys who had acid, and he didn't take any damage. I've been afraid to try again though.

EDIT: gently caress my reading comprehension, I could've sworn you took damage when you did anything but sit still or hunker down though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've had soldiers do stuff without taking damage, and then taking damage for doing the same thing next turn, so there appears to just be a certain chance to it. Unsure if it's bugged or working as intended though.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
I started the game around a week ago, and gave up my EW run cause I felt it was a bit too easy and started LW. I'm couple months in and I'm finding it a bit too easy still (Classic difficulty + Iron Man), does the difficulty massively spike (Fighting Muton and Disks right now) or should I start over on a harder difficulty? Situation room is 100% blue except one nation that randomly defect.

Anyone have experience on LW with impossible difficulty?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really wish Foundry Projects in LW said what exactly they do before you research them. This tech tree in the install directory sure as hell ain't enough when costs in terms of time and resources are huge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Buck Turgidson posted:

No I mean the sectoids had already been discovered/activated and I knew where they were, I had vision of their approach and I had guys on overwatch. One of the already activated sectoids just magically appeared next to my recruit and shot him point blank. This was different to the sudden discovery bug that happens where a squad just appears out of no-where, which can still REALLY bone you if you sprinted a dude or two (like to catch up with the squad pre-discovery "conga line") and they appear mid turn.

I have never, ever heard of a teleportation bug with already activated squads. I also have never seen or even heard of a grenade dropping through the world. I would really consider doing some normal windows maintenance stuff because it sounds like you have something janky going on with your computer environmentally. Update your graphics drivers, verify your XCOM cache, run windows updates, restart your computer, etc - I have a similarly bizarre problem with the RenPy platform sometimes if I go a long time without restarting my computer. The game will just continuously auto-scroll forward as though I'm holding down the enter key, only being stopped if I code in a mouse-specific interrupt. It does this even when I've physically disconnected my keyboard from the computer. But a restart will fix the issue, every time. I have no clue why.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

But Not Tonight posted:

EDIT: gently caress my reading comprehension, I could've sworn you took damage when you did anything but sit still or hunker down though.

Yeah, the F1 description says you take damage unless you do nothing or hunker down, so I should have taken damage but did not. Maybe it was the last turn of the acid though, and you take damage the following turn but if the acid goes away it never triggers?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Huh, I never realized that was how acid worked. I guess I should have paid more attention.

toasterwarrior posted:

I really wish Foundry Projects in LW said what exactly they do before you research them. This tech tree in the install directory sure as hell ain't enough when costs in terms of time and resources are huge.
Absolutely agreed. "This improves your small arms" does not tell me much.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

How far along is Long War? Is it more playable now that since it first came out for EW? I remember giving up on it completely after I missed 2 90% flanking shots on a sectoid in the first mission.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

Long War's devs, in their infinite wisdom, decided that Medkits and the Poison Immunity property found on high-end armors only made you immune to the damage, and not the (significant) debuffs. Why? Because they hate the player, I assume.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

What the gently caress did LW do to Newfoundland? Do you have to just not take the mission at all? I haven't even made it to the ship yet and I've already fought about 20 Chryssalids. I can't even do it, I just quit the game and I don't think I have any desire to start it back up again.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Scyantific posted:

How far along is Long War? Is it more playable now that since it first came out for EW? I remember giving up on it completely after I missed 2 90% flanking shots on a sectoid in the first mission.

Right, because that totally would never happen in the vanilla game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SlightlyMadman posted:

What the gently caress did LW do to Newfoundland? Do you have to just not take the mission at all? I haven't even made it to the ship yet and I've already fought about 20 Chryssalids. I can't even do it, I just quit the game and I don't think I have any desire to start it back up again.

It's doable, but you have to go incredibly slowly to avoid pulling multiple packs. And don't send most of your solders anywhere near the ship, just have someone dash along the upper deck towards the button on a path that avoids giving LOS on the whale. Give them a tac vest, an SMG and no items and they might even make it back!

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
drat started LW on Impossible + Ironman. Shits hard now (but still enjoyable) tilted my head when I saw a giant Chryssalids and thought it was a graphics error till I noticed the HP bar. Ended up having to kite the poo poo out of it till it finally died.

But that was still nothing compared to that one bomb disarming mission. I'm still scratching my head and how you can possible do that mission on Impossible + Ironman, you have 3 turns to reach a generator and there is a pack of aliens guarding each and every single one. If you rush you just run into a pack of mutons and get blown up, but if you don't there is no way you can reach the bomb/generator in time.

Do you just take a pack of rookies/assault and just bum rush the bomb?

Any advice?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cheston posted:

It's doable, but you have to go incredibly slowly to avoid pulling multiple packs. And don't send most of your solders anywhere near the ship, just have someone dash along the upper deck towards the button on a path that avoids giving LOS on the whale. Give them a tac vest, an SMG and no items and they might even make it back!

That's actually exactly what my strategy was, but even pulling one pack at a time, they run in on spawn so they're already on top of you, which means every single one you don't manage to kill with the first volley will take one of your dudes with him. I handled it for the first three packs, but by the fourth I was out of grenades and rockets.

edit: I started back up and it turned out I'd already gotten through the difficult part. There were no more packs so it was just your standard run to the ship and run out. I even made it back with my assault guy I sent in, since my two sacrificial red shirts I'd brought along were already dead. Also, it turns out it was 33 chryssalids I'd fought, not 20.

I guess I'll be better prepared next time and it could have gone worse, but I thought that mission was already really well balanced in vanilla, and LW just made it unfun.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Wassbix posted:

Any advice?

Rockets and grenades.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Anyone have advice for using rocketeers effectively in LW? I feel like I use every class well except these guys - rockets would be an awesome panic button ability but the unreliable targeting is the exact opposite of what I want in an emergency option. Do they get any skills later on that make them better at that role? So far I've just been getting one to two of them and saving them for chrysalid missions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I ignore the Newfoundland mission now will it pop back up later, fairly certain I can't beat it with current advancements.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

If I ignore the Newfoundland mission now will it pop back up later, fairly certain I can't beat it with current advancements.

It will not, but I bet you can handle it if you're willing to sacrifice your button-pusher. Bear in mind that it doesn't reward you much aside from XP, though, and if you're underpowered you wouldn't be killing nearly as many chrysalids so you wouldn't be getting as much of that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is it possible to have archangel armor by that point in the game? It'd be baller as hell to handle it by having a bunch of angry squadsighters sitting in midair.

I don't even know if archangel is in LW. I just know that Archangel snipers are the apex predator in a world of chrysalids.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Hog Butcher posted:

Is it possible to have archangel armor by that point in the game? It'd be baller as hell to handle it by having a bunch of angry squadsighters sitting in midair.

I don't even know if archangel is in LW. I just know that Archangel snipers are the apex predator in a world of chrysalids.

Archangel is disgustingly late, expensive, and probably the best armor in the game.

+8 HP (compared to Titan's +10 or so), all the benefits of Titan (sealed power armor immune to fire), and you can fly. Fuel cell item gives you another 6 extra flight fuel. Great times online.

Edit: Worth noting that what really pushes Archangel over the edge in LW is the +30 defense for flying targets up from +20 in vanilla. It's like you can actually field an entire squad of jump troops and just have them jetpack around raining death.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I can't speak for LW, but it's possible in EW to have archangel by the time Newfoundland comes up - it's considered less of a priority than most of the Portent and Slingshot missions, so if you are quick about your research you can have some dudes rocking the sky by then.

That said, if you're at that point Newfoundland is going to be trivial anyway since you're almost certainly rocking plasma by then, and plasma just dominates Chryssalids eight ways from Sunday.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...
On the topic of LW Newfoundland: Usually I get in, hit the objective, get out ASAP. This time around I went for a more Aliens style wading through ichor and tearing apart xenos strategy. I will say that with a 7 man squad packed with a Shotguns + a Rocketeer and a Sapper Engineer just in case, you can just walk down into the bowels of the ship and blast them as they hatch. It's very satisfying.

Gets you some extra levelup points for your soldiers, too. Exterminate Chrysallid nests by hand, get life experience! :eng101:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jesus loving christ I hate seekers. Apparently my new strategy is to quit the mission if there is more than one pack per map and/or a unit engages while I'm already engaged.

Just got wiped on an abduction mission (basically the easiest 'level' a missino can be, of course) with no less than 4 seekers. Wouldn't have been two much of a problem except... BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE, BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE, BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE. That's IF I'm lucky enough to hit them :argh:

Yes I'm aware about battle scanners uncloaking them (which someone kindly told me, undocumented mechanics hurray!), unfortunately it doesn't do much if there is more than one unit!

And I got an A from the previous month after horribly wiping 3 times... maybe I'm just not understanding LW/XCOM and the inevitability of horrible losses.... Think my best soldier in July is a LCPL.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 7, 2014

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus loving christ I hate seekers. Apparently my new strategy is to quit the mission if there is more than one pack per map and/or a unit engages while I'm already engaged.

Just got wiped on an abduction mission (basically the easiest 'level' a missino can be, of course) with no less than 4 seekers. Wouldn't have been two much of a problem except... BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE, BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE, BLOCKS 2 DAMAGE. That's IF I'm lucky enough to hit them :argh:

Yes I'm aware about battle scanners uncloaking them (which someone kindly told me, undocumented mechanics hurray!), unfortunately it doesn't do much if there is more than one unit!

HEAT Warhead Rocketeer is your ace in the hole vs. unexpected robotic pod activations. One rocket can wipe out every one of them if they're clustered enough. Otherwise, rush Beam Lasers and put them on scoped Infantry so you've got double tap chances to tear down Seekers. HEAT Sapper Engineers are good vs them if they're low enough to the ground to be naded, as well.

quote:

Think my best soldier in July is a LCPL.

:ohdear: If you don't have a CPL by at least mid April you're in trouble. You should have a roster full of Sgts and Cpls by July at least.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TheresNoThyme posted:

Anyone have advice for using rocketeers effectively in LW? I feel like I use every class well except these guys - rockets would be an awesome panic button ability but the unreliable targeting is the exact opposite of what I want in an emergency option. Do they get any skills later on that make them better at that role? So far I've just been getting one to two of them and saving them for chrysalid missions.

Steady Weapon, Laser Sights and Scopes all apply to rockets, and remember that moving before firing a rocket gives an aim and range penalty. You can easily justify that 80 dollar Scope when it knocks out the wall giving five Exalt elites full cover. Moving and shooting is the panic button and Sappers are always going to be better at that, but waiting a turn to take a shot is the hammer that splatters whole pods of enemies.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 7, 2014

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Wassbix posted:

drat started LW on Impossible + Ironman. Shits hard now (but still enjoyable) tilted my head when I saw a giant Chryssalids and thought it was a graphics error till I noticed the HP bar. Ended up having to kite the poo poo out of it till it finally died.

But that was still nothing compared to that one bomb disarming mission. I'm still scratching my head and how you can possible do that mission on Impossible + Ironman, you have 3 turns to reach a generator and there is a pack of aliens guarding each and every single one. If you rush you just run into a pack of mutons and get blown up, but if you don't there is no way you can reach the bomb/generator in time.

Do you just take a pack of rookies/assault and just bum rush the bomb?

Any advice?

Wait LW added boss aliens(your large Chryssalids)?

I though that was still on the to do list.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

MrBims posted:

Steady Weapon, Laser Sights and Scopes all apply to rockets, and remember that moving before firing a rocket gives an aim and range penalty. You can easily justify that 80 dollar Scope when it knocks out the wall giving five Exalt elites full cover. Moving and shooting is the panic button and Sappers are always going to be better at that, but waiting a turn to take a shot is the hammer that splatters whole pods of enemies.

All great advice, and note that for as long as they've been in the game I've found Carbines a great way to provide +7 aim to Rocketeers, too.

Someone was telling me that it doesn't actually work for the Rocket, but I did some tests comparing a non Carbine Rocketeer to a Carbiner and the aim on the Rocket % adjusted as you'd expect. Laser Carbine Rocketeers are even more hillarious for the extra beam laser accuracy. By the time you have Beam Laser Carbine SCOPE Snap-shot Rocketeers, you've got very reliable damage.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
Seekers are really annoying in the long war early game since they get that permanent 2/3s cover and damage resistance and there's nothing you can ever do about it. My best tactic has been to fairyishly bounce a grenade off a nearby post or generator box so it explodes in the middle of them, thank god every single xcom operative turned down a career as world's #1 major league curveball pitcher. Either that or do the standard dangerous situation tactic of sprint away and set up an ambush but that seems well outside the intended power curve for a couple seekers or floaters.

Funny how in the flying units heavy early game of long war the aliens get the fast, aggressive units who live to cover ground and flank you for a good attack and the player gets the dumbasses who can only brawl because no position will give them a better or worse shot. Kinda seems like the player should be the aliens and the ai should be xcom.

Oh wait, I'm talking about the stupid little flying drones. Seekers are the invisible things, right?

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 7, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

The first time I went to scope out a landed LW abductor I activated a pack of 4 seekers on my third move. No problem, keep everyone in sight range, overwatch, wait it out. Then a second pack of 3 seekers and a drone wandered in.
6 dead, 0 aliens killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Ran into a pack of 8 floaters and then a 2 group of 3 seekers each joined the fray. Somehow killed all of them without taking any damage. Engineer just spent the whole time tossing grenades and my closer quarter shotgun Assault killed all the seekers coming to strangle my sniper. That was the most stressful mission yet.

• Locked thread