Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
BJ used to be really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Press conference will be better than that fight.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ishin posted:

"Wow BJ looks tall as poo poo" - not something I ever saw myself thinking.

It's nice they have those smaller weight classes. Frankie really looks at home. I didn't see much of his lw career but he must have been tiny.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That was such a waste of time. I have no clue why that fight had to happen.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What the gently caress was BJ trying to do?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

manyak posted:

BJ used to be really good

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think BJ could even beat someone in the top 20 of the division.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
BJ Penn was somehow a better striker before when he would just wing bombs. It seems to me that training actually makes BJ worse.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
In Penn's last ten rounds of fighting, the only round he wasn't getting completely smashed in was round 1 vs Diaz.

Stimulus
Mar 25, 2005
BJ couldn't hear the secret code word that was supposed to trigger him to kill

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
On the bright side Frankie Edgar finished a fight for the first time in a while and didn't get his face beaten up for once. :unsmith:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's crazy to think BJ would probably get knocked out by Jeremy Stephens now when a few years ago Penn was king of that division and Stephens was a gatekeeper.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Team Stab posted:

BJ Penn was somehow a better striker before when he would just wing bombs. It seems to me that training actually makes BJ worse.

Somewhere Karo Parisyan softly weeps to his shrine of "too talented to train" fallen heroes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Okay apparently Franklin Edgar murdered BJ Penn. is it safe to say he's better than GSP now? Because he is.

Frankie/Mendes please

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Somewhere Karo Parisyan softly weeps to his shrine of "too talented to train" fallen heroes.

And chews another xanax

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
"I want to fight... for the title? Uh, does beating an action figure with no movable limbs get me there?"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
christ this is sad

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Crowd goes wild for BJ after that?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
im watching with no sound, did he retire?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
My brother who hates fights was actually watching tonight and enjoying himself, then he saw BJ Penn die on television and I don't think he likes fights again

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Team Stab posted:

BJ never really just winged bombs. he was a pretty talented boxer in his prime, one of the best of that era, and I would have assumed he was still a good boxer if i didnt just watch that fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SquirrelGrip posted:

im watching with no sound, did he retire?

no he wants to come back and lose to neil magny

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That whole thing was sad.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like how Edgar gets better in every rematch.

Lost Maynard 1 -> Drew Maynard 2 -> TKO Maynard 3
Contentious decision BJ 1 -> Dominant decision BJ 2 -> Murder BJ 3
Contentious decision loss Benson 1 -> Robbery decision loss Benson 2

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHlICw6Pjk

Might be sad to watch though.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

1st AD posted:

Okay apparently Franklin Edgar murdered BJ Penn. is it safe to say he's better than GSP now? Because he is.

Frankie/Mendes please

uhh since you didn't actually see the fight, lemmie tell you that beating the BJ Penn we just saw isn't indicative of much except that Frankie has working arms and legs.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
That's the most bummed out I've felt watching a fight and I don't even like BJ

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if BJ's body is failing him. He barely bent at the knees and all his movements are slow and jerky. He wasn't one to mention injuries to my recollection but I'm sure he's had his share.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

attackmole posted:

I like how Edgar gets better in every rematch.

Lost Maynard 1 -> Drew Maynard 2 -> TKO Maynard 3
Contentious decision BJ 1 -> Dominant decision BJ 2 -> Murder BJ 3
Contentious decision loss Benson 1 -> Robbery decision loss Benson 2

i like where this is going

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

canoshiz posted:

What the gently caress was BJ trying to do?

Maybe he was trying to Jon Jones it and use his length? I just don't know. That poo poo can't work if you aren't on par athletically and BJ was emphatically not.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
Lol it's like a BJ Penn memorial in this post fight. So appropriate.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So I had to watch BJ die and Frankie's awesome performance probably won't even get talked about because he beat up an old guy. I also doubt it does much for him as far as moving closer to a title shot. Pretty stupid fight. And it's not hindsight either, I recall the overwhelming reaction to this fight when it was announced was "lol what?"

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
BJ's coaches thought he generates more power from that upright stance. :psyduck:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Man imagine if we had Edgar vs Faber instead of that poo poo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

I wonder if BJ's body is failing him. He barely bent at the knees and all his movements are slow and jerky. He wasn't one to mention injuries to my recollection but I'm sure he's had his share.

Its possible but he spent this whole fight doing guard work that requires a lot of dexterity in the knees and puts pressure on them

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
That was legitimately sad

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Remember their first fight? Everyone was shocked that Frankie was able to take him down at all, which hadn't happened at LW since the first Pulver fight. Even then Frankie still just got like 2 quick takedowns the whole fight and BJ got right up. In the rematch Frankie was able to get a bunch of takedowns, but didn't really hold BJ down at will. When BJ got takedown down tonight he wasn't able to get up or do anything at all.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Miching Mallecho posted:

BJ's coaches thought he generates more power from that upright stance. :psyduck:

Apparently they hadn't seen the previous fights and were unaware that it doesn't matter how much power you can generate if you can't apply it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

I also doubt it does much for him as far as moving closer to a title shot.

he is literally one win or one injury away from a rematch at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Did he retire yet

Alternatively did Dana says he's retired yet

• Locked thread