Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Why would a professional carpet cleaner want to come home to more carpet? Why do all of these rich old men have three heirs that they see on the very day of their murder? Why wouldn't the police be staking out the homes of every rich old dude in this universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lost Side of Suburbia

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Everybody go read the solution to this.

Every time this strip gets posted, I wonder if its serious or if the person who wrote it is just loving with his readers.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Between this and the League of Extraordinary Gentleman arc, I'm changing my indifferent tune with this. This rules.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why would a professional carpet cleaner want to come home to more carpet?
Carpet dealer.

And maybe he's trying to stop using his own product.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Grinding up woodland critters by the truckload in a giant novelty meatgrinder is metal as gently caress.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

I don't know what it is, but this comic really inspires me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the real solution going to be something like "If you really had the flu you wouldn't be bundling up"?

Edit: This reminded me of a CSI episode. A woman was questioned about where she was the morning of the murder. She gave her alibi as being sick from food poisoning from the night before. The head detective dismissed her story; according to him food poisoning would set in within 15 minutes and would have dissipated by the next morning.

The thing is, there is no singular type of food poisoning, many things can cause different symptoms we lump together as "food poisoning". And even if she didn't have food poisoning she could have been mistaken about what made her sick.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 7, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Tell me he found flu virus on the gun.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

<snip rest of timgs>

Yes. The artwork in this just loving rules. I'm looking forward to more. The colors of his eyes matching navigational running lights just made it for me. Green starboard, red port. :)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Jesus Christ.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

I think Sal's mom and Jackie win the idea war. Hil should ask her Aunt Jackie where she found wi-fi... unless she torrented that show ahead of time.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

In some nutty way, I guess I win!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Mucous from a dead dog's eye and Blueberry Oyster Cult. I do love this comic. When this first started being posted, we were in another arc set here, right?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Mucous from a dead dog's eye and Blueberry Oyster Cult. I do love this comic. When this first started being posted, we were in another arc set here, right?

Yeah, we were. Looking ahead a bit the pirate character is going to be introduced soon, too. Not really sure how it'll all tie together, but it's good to know that it's going somewhere with the overall plot.

The arc I started with, which was at the tail end of the comic before it went on hiatus, also had Heckbender concluding everything.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

reclusivemind posted:

I can't believe this was 5 years ago. In comic strip time it was like a two months ago.

2009 was five years ago...that means I've been following these threads for eight years. :negative: There are grade schoolers younger than my Mary Worth addiction.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I think Sal's mom and Jackie win the idea war. Hil should ask her Aunt Jackie where she found wi-fi... unless she torrented that show ahead of time.
Inviting a 10(?) year old child to watch a show featuring swearing and boobs. Why couldn't I have had that family?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kismet posted:

2009 was five years ago...that means I've been following these threads for eight years. :negative: There are grade schoolers younger than my Mary Worth addiction.
This thread and the CAD mock threads were the first ones I read, and I read them for a while before I registered. The CAD mock thread died for a bit, but has sort of come back. This thread has been going strong the whole time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Told you they went to get high.

Rex Morgan MD

It's a good thing June was at this meeting. Her contribution was invaluable.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

RandomPauI posted:

Is the real solution going to be something like "If you really had the flu you wouldn't be bundling up"?

The original solution was "check the BULLETS for fingerprints". It turned out to be the girl. And the one guy didn't confess, either.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ZeeToo posted:

The original solution was "check the BULLETS for fingerprints". It turned out to be the girl. And the one guy didn't confess, either.

So it explicitly says the guns fingerprints were unusable, then the solution is something that technically isn't the gun but the reader would assume was checked along with the gun did in fact, have usable prints? And then there was fuckall to suggest who those belonged to other than the narration?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

What the gently caress. I assume this is referencing some thing from the antebellum era but I am too lazy to google it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Magna Kaser posted:

What the gently caress. I assume this is referencing some thing from the antebellum era but I am too lazy to google it.

I didn't recognize the song until I Googled it, but even the hat should suggest the tinman from The Wizard of Oz.

That still doesn't explain the Hush Money thing.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Holy poo poo. I wasn't wild about the League story, but this is just amazing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I didn't recognize the song until I Googled it, but even the hat should suggest the tinman from The Wizard of Oz.

That still doesn't explain the Hush Money thing.

What is there to explain? Oh, right. Goons.
He is saying he doesn't have money to pay her to not tell people about seeing him sing and dance.
Because it would embarrass him to have people know of the event. (for all the autistic out there.)

loving kids these days doesn't even recognize the goddamn tin man?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Johnny Aztec posted:

it was released before world war 2 started get over yourself great-grampa

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is there to explain? Oh, right. Goons.
He is saying he doesn't have money to pay her to not tell people about seeing him sing and dance.
Because it would embarrass him to have people know of the event. (for all the autistic out there.)

I recognized the tin man thing but what is "Hush Money"? As it's in quotes I image it must be something. I googled it and it's a 1931 movie but as far as I can tell it doesn't share a single actor or staff member with The Wizard of Oz so I have even less of an idea now.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Now, you are just being intentionally obtuse. <:mad:>

Edminster posted:

it was released before world war 2 started get over yourself great-grampa

It doesn't matter if it was released 2 centuries ago when it would repeatedly be ran on TV up until semi-recently. Besides, it is a childrens movie staple. It is prevelent enough to where the hat and the meter of the song should have been enough. Hell, the "oil can" bit is being incredibly unsubtle about it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan's_Planet

According to this Wikipedia article, 1982.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Knew it. I saw that the painter was painting, the car dealer was near some cars, but the carpet seller had a big patch of floor with no carpet? Obvious criminal.

Magna Kaser posted:

I recognized the tin man thing but what is "Hush Money"? As it's in quotes I image it must be something. I googled it and it's a 1931 movie but as far as I can tell it doesn't share a single actor or staff member with The Wizard of Oz so I have even less of an idea now.
Hush money. Money paid to someone for them to keep quiet. It's not a reference to something, it's just Gilchrist using unnecessary quotation marks.

I thought I was getting the hang of these because I spotted the coat of arms, but the hat thing is brilliant. :roflolmao:

Mandrake the Magician (1942-03-22)

Nancy

Speechless

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Blhue posted:

So it explicitly says the guns fingerprints were unusable, then the solution is something that technically isn't the gun but the reader would assume was checked along with the gun did in fact, have usable prints? And then there was fuckall to suggest who those belonged to other than the narration?

Yeah, pretty much. :shrug: The actual suspect panels were completely wasting your time. Here's the unedited version for comparison:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Told you they went to get high.
I try to not make demands, but in this case, I think I am being entirely reasonable when I say that we must get a Dancin' Mary Worth .gif (or a full-on Big Gay Logan-style disco tribute), as soon as humanly possible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
have some Fingerpori + Mummo + Kamala Luonto @ Ruisrock

Phantom's arm band says 'bouncer' :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori tries its hand at catte comix

Fok_It

Eino Leino was a journalist and poet and is considered one of the most important Finnish authors.

The poem that Frog is quoting is called Laulu onnesta, and the first line especially has become a common phrase. I'm not a poet, but I wanted to try translating it anyway.

A song of happiness

Let the one with happiness be the one to hide it,
let the one with treasure be the one to cover it,
and let the happy one be happy of his happiness
and the rich one rejoice in his loneliness.

Happiness won't suffer the sights of men.
Let the one with happiness in the woods make his den
and let him live quietly, quietly with his treasure
and quietly of his happiness take his pleasure.

Are there seriously no two synonyms for hide/cover/conceal etc. that would rhyme together? drat.

e: Oh right, forgot to mention. The punchline in this comic is lost in translation because, well, there's no way to translate it. The poem uses a poetic form of "who [has]", that is, kell' where normally it would be kellä. When Frog's asking "who's the one", he uses kell'. His follow-up "Me? You?" uses the same form: Mull'? Sull'? which would usually be Mulla? Sulla? or Minulla? Sinulla?. I considered translating it as "Me? Thee?" but that would've been just confusing, I think. Not to mention anachronistic, but "I? Thou?" wouldn't have been as good.

e2: One more thing about the tone of the poem, just to make it clear: that "let" doesn't mean "allow", as in "let him be alone". It's a passive imperative as in "let there be light", that is, more like a command or statement of how things should be henceforth.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 7, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

I really can't gauge the personalities of anyone in this strip.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac oh god damnit, Ernesto again.

Wish there was a medication they could give Petey to make him go away. Of course, I suspect Petey feels the same way.

The Creeps welp, so much for mr. fish.

Poptropica does this thing where they get really big on Mondays, so, enjoy some good art.

drat, that's a fine Frankenstein's Monster.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps welp, so much for mr. fish.

Wait, is this implying that skinny creep is a sex offender? :stare:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 18, 1927)

Peanuts (July 10, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: Were you getting incredibly excited over the saga of Les Moore, immaculately pure artist vaguely tortured by debasing his life's story in the name of commerce, especially since it seemed like it was about to build to something?

You were? Really?

Well anyway, too bad, because this week we're back to chasing comic books.

The Starbuck Jones publishers sound like a real pair of clown shoes. And not just because of the name.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 30-31, 1925)

It's the evil eye mom again!

She doesn't like hobo children!

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 7, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean: Were you getting incredibly excited over the saga of Les Moore, immaculately pure artist vaguely tortured by debasing his life's story in the name of commerce, especially since it seemed like it was about to build to something?

You were? Really?

Well anyway, too bad, because this week we're back to chasing comic books.

The Starbuck Jones publishers sound like a real pair of clown shoes. And not just because of the name.

And mark my words, she'll get this comic for free because gently caress you Funkyverse, that's why.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, pretty much. :shrug: The actual suspect panels were completely wasting your time. Here's the unedited version for comparison:

I figured it was the second guy because who wears a scarf indoors?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

RevKrule posted:

And mark my words, she'll get this comic for free because gently caress you Funkyverse, that's why.

Hey, at least something nice is happening to someone. In six months' time her son is totally going to be blinded by an IED and she'll have to read the comics to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

That second name should be good to go in a few months.

• Locked thread