Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jonesy posted:

I skimmed the thread but didn't see it, I'm probably just retarded/bad at reading: is there a way to download specific threads to your device for off-data reading? It'd be really handy for travel or reading megathreads and help save battery/data.

Oh no, idiot question snipe

The app will cache all pages you load and the webview will try to cache all the corresponding images. There is however no automated way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Yeah, that's been my solution for page-at-a-time reading, but being able to download all 1100 posts of a thread in one go would be nice. I'm very much loving the app though, so thanks for that!

WriteRalpinblood
May 21, 2014
Forgive me for asking this (Read the first post couldn't find nothing) but is there a way to access the archives via this app? I'm curious to see if Waffleimages is truly fixed, that'd be really amazing actually. Thanks for info that I'm sure has no doubt been repeated several hundred times!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WriteRalpinblood posted:

Forgive me for asking this (Read the first post couldn't find nothing) but is there a way to access the archives via this app? I'm curious to see if Waffleimages is truly fixed, that'd be really amazing actually. Thanks for info that I'm sure has no doubt been repeated several hundred times!

As far as I know no Awful app has implemented archives so far. We certainly haven't.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:confused:

Also I just noticed the development thread was archived because no one posted in it since march. Speaks for itself pretty much.

If there are no problems with the current beta I'm gonna make some last changes, maybe steal Drastic Action's post preview implementation, and update it to the main version.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

:confused:

Also I just noticed the development thread was archived because no one posted in it since march. Speaks for itself pretty much.

If there are no problems with the current beta I'm gonna make some last changes, maybe steal Drastic Action's post preview implementation, and update it to the main version.

You upped the timeouts right?

I can't really tell because the forums are running okay again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I try to attach an image to a post awful crashes every time.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

:psyduck: As far as I can tell this was always broken in KitKat. Patched Beta going out.

I also looked into the font thing you mentioned earlier and I can't get it to work in the thread view, it always defaults to Roboto.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

:psyduck: As far as I can tell this was always broken in KitKat. Patched Beta going out.
Sweet, thanks!
I almost never use attachments so it's the first time I ran into it on my new phone. Previous phone was pre-kitkat.

quote:

I also looked into the font thing you mentioned earlier and I can't get it to work in the thread view, it always defaults to Roboto.
I'm not sure how to read this sentence. Do you mean you can't reproduce it, or you can and you can't fix it?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

Sweet, thanks!
I almost never use attachments so it's the first time I ran into it on my new phone. Previous phone was pre-kitkat.

I'm not sure how to read this sentence. Do you mean you can't reproduce it, or you can and you can't fix it?

I got myself an old SGS2, changed the system font to some sort of Comic Sans and tried to get that in the thread view. Maybe there is something I missed but as far as I can tell, there is no way to get the name of the current system typeset besides the default typeset which is always Roboto.

My favorite part is however how, if you set a font in the app, the settings will still use the system default while everything besides the thread view will use the app font. :allears:

I'm also not 100% sure attachments are fixed because both attachments have yet to appear, though that might be the forums. I saw a thread about this in QCS anyway.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I got my first tablet recently and found the awful app on Google Play. Somehow I didn't know about it before. It's great, many thanks to everyone who worked on it. :)

spankmeister posted:

Forum attachments seem to be broken. They don't work for me on PC either. It doesn't crash anything but the image never shows up. I think I'll try again since I'm using the app' but it probably won't work:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ema Nymton posted:

Forum attachments seem to be broken. They don't work for me on PC either. It doesn't crash anything but the image never shows up. I think I'll try again since I'm using the app' but it probably won't work:

Forum attachments were double broken when you tried posting one from a kitkat device. I fixed it, but in the beta but its still broken on the forums.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Strange, in the app I can see a little icon where the image would have been, but I don't see something like that on PC.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 7, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

Strange, in the app I can see a little icon where the image would have been, but I don't see something like that on PC.

I see the broken link in Chrome on OS X.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sereri posted:

While we're in there making changes with the images stuff, can we get a [TIMG] tag added to the list of pre-made tags? I completely forgot we have the ability to attach images through the forum, I just always use imgur, as does pretty much everyone else, which sort of necessitates the timg tag.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

The thing that I've been missing for a while is the bookmark page being the default view when the app opens. Does this exist now but I don't have it enabled or is it not?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Unclean009 posted:

The thing that I've been missing for a while is the bookmark page being the default view when the app opens. Does this exist now but I don't have it enabled or is it not?
It's a widget, not an in-app option.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

WoG posted:

It's a widget, not an in-app option.

When you said widget I imaged some app view on the homescreen, not a shortcut. I have it sorted now, thanks!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

While we're in there making changes with the images stuff, can we get a [TIMG] tag added to the list of pre-made tags? I completely forgot we have the ability to attach images through the forum, I just always use imgur, as does pretty much everyone else, which sort of necessitates the timg tag.
:psyduck: I could swear that was put in at some point, but its not. It'll be in the next patch.

Unclean009 posted:

When you said widget I imaged some app view on the homescreen, not a shortcut. I have it sorted now, thanks!

It used to be a shortcut but this doesn't exist anymore in the 4+ Android world, they're widgets now for some reason

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow, I had no idea those tags were there. I've been typing them out like a chump.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I have a request, for sometime in the future. I'd like an option to skip or collapse a particular post so I don't have to scroll past it. This would be really useful in threads where somebody posts a huge image dump/John Galt speech and other people quote the whole thing again and again. If there's already an option like this I'd love to know about it.

Still totally digging it though, my most used app by far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

I have a request, for sometime in the future. I'd like an option to skip or collapse a particular post so I don't have to scroll past it. This would be really useful in threads where somebody posts a huge image dump/John Galt speech and other people quote the whole thing again and again. If there's already an option like this I'd love to know about it.

Still totally digging it though, my most used app by far.
Unfortunately the button to do it would necessarily be at the top of the long post meaning you'd have to immediately scroll back up to hit the button.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Unfortunately the button to do it would necessarily be at the top of the long post meaning you'd have to immediately scroll back up to hit the button.

Also you'd have to press it for every single post that quotes the guy unless you want to have a database of post to skip.

E:/ Beta is going into main this weekend, can't wait for all the 'oh god a thing changed'

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sereri posted:

Also you'd have to press it for every single post that quotes the guy unless you want to have a database of post to skip.
At least quotes should be collapsible. Add a target to the right of where it says "posted:" or maybe on the line to the left of the quote. It would be nice to be able to swipe posts away (with an undo toast) but that sounds like a lot more work.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
This could already be known and be fixed in the new version, but when I'm using the app on my S3 after reading/refreshing threads for a while doing something in particular unbeknownst to me, I end up with loads of artifacting everywhere. Big black boxes of random size appear obscuring text etc, sometimes they'll be massive versions of ui elements. Only way to fix it has been to restart the app, sometimes I can get the boxes to disappear if I select bits of the text they obscure.

I'll take a screenshot of it next time happens.

Other than that great app :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Heliosicle posted:

This could already be known

yup

Heliosicle posted:

and be fixed in the new version

we'll see about that on friday

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

At least quotes should be collapsible. Add a target to the right of where it says "posted:" or maybe on the line to the left of the quote. It would be nice to be able to swipe posts away (with an undo toast) but that sounds like a lot more work.

Sound like a good idea, I'll give it a try

Sereri fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 15, 2014

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Collapsible quotes would be great, I don't really want to skip posts but it gets obnoxious sometimes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sereri posted:

E:/ Beta is going into main this weekend, can't wait for all the 'oh god a thing changed'

I'd hate to disappoint you, so here goes. I used to be able to select the gray boxes for gifs in posts and select "Load Image Inline", that's disappeared and now I can only elect to load them in another app.

I'm going to miss this option.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Q_res posted:

I'd hate to disappoint you, so here goes. I used to be able to select the gray boxes for gifs in posts and select "Load Image Inline", that's disappeared and now I can only elect to load them in another app.

Wow, now I'm not sure I want to update. I use that constantly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure what you two are talking about. I've been in the beta for quite some time, and I have that option.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I have the option, but sometimes it doesn't work - likewise with clicking on a gif to display. Other than that things are smooth. Just a shame to use a browser to access archives.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Android L has an odd issue with the thread reply count. http://imgur.com/pii9eRW

It's white on light Grey, which isn't ideal.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Android L has an odd issue with the thread reply count.
This has been mentioned before but since it's an OS preview release don't expect a fix.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Tunga posted:

This has been mentioned before but since it's an OS preview release don't expect a fix.

Oh really? I must have missed it somehow. Apologies for the duplicate, and no worries* about it not getting fixed until L goes gold, it was more a head's up.

*I mean, it's annoying for sure, but that's the cost of a preview OS

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Q_res posted:

Not sure what you're on about. Maybe try disabling that 'always open as link' in the settings.

Ghostpilot posted:

I have the option, but sometimes it doesn't work - likewise with clicking on a gif to display.

Good news, that should be fixed in the version going out right now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Bring back the bookmark button in the top right please. At least as an option. This update ruined my 'work'flow.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Bring back the bookmark button in the top right please. At least as an option. This update ruined my 'work'flow.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the bookmark button being an extra click away isn't awesome, but on larger phones (Nexus 5) it means you have to browse with two hands.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You can swipe to see the sidemenu from anywhere on the left side of the screen which has the bookmark button all the way on the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Sereri posted:

You can swipe to see the sidemenu from anywhere on the left side of the screen which has the bookmark button all the way on the right

It's somewhat less convenient, but it does look nice and it's hardly the end of the world. For the most part I like the update.