Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rei_ posted:

I think it's bullshit we aren't getting a proper triple changer Drift reshelled out of Generations Springer.

Well, so many people swore up and down that they wanted a new Skyhammer remold and now they've done it!

Sheesh, some people will never be happy.

\/\/\/\/ Because so many people complained about it that Netflix won't buy the rights.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why the heck isn't Beast Machines on Netflix?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spiderdrake posted:

He acts pretty hosed up in movies 2 and 3. 'Give me your face' is not something a well adjusted robot who has been making time to visit Rung is going to say.

He is pretty justified in movie 4, though.
"Give me your face" was hilariously crazy (has Peter Cullen ever commented on that line?) but outside of that I didn't really have a problem rationalizing anything else he's done in any of the movies within the framework of "he's a byproduct of a literal million-year war, fighting things that are by and large fairly hard to permanently kill".
He's arguably at his most violent in ROTF, but I felt he's dialed it back a lot since (especially in AoE).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best part of that scene is right afterward Megatron slinks away, seemingly appalled by what he just saw saying "This is no Prime."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tighclops posted:

The best part of that scene is right afterward Megatron slinks away, seemingly appalled by what he just saw saying "This is no Prime."
I kinda think that is a reference to the Fallen, who himself is part of the lineage of primes, but I do kinda like the idea that the Fallen went in expecting this gentle, philosopher poet Prime and instead he got this battle-hardened veteran who is entirely sick of Decepticrap. I mean look at that scene, Optimus puts the Fallen's scepter through his throat, bends it around his neck and then continues berating him with one-liners I'm not sure he can even reply to any more before just ripping out his still beating heart and crushing it with his hand. The Fallen's reactions to the fight rapidly turns into desperate flailing and then just trying to run away.

In specific, look at the fight once Megatron is out of it. He desperately throws rocks at Prime, claws at his attachments and then gets his face ripped off. And then Megatron is just like 'yeah oh gently caress he wasn't on his level at all'.

Then he goes and finds another Prime to fight him. A fake one, I think?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda think that is a reference to the Fallen, who himself is part of the lineage of primes, but I do kinda like the idea that the Fallen went in expecting this gentle, philosopher poet Prime and instead he got this battle-hardened veteran who is entirely sick of Decepticrap. I mean look at that scene, Optimus puts the Fallen's scepter through his throat, bends it around his neck and then continues berating him with one-liners I'm not sure he can even reply to any more before just ripping out his still beating heart and crushing it with his hand. The Fallen's reactions to the fight rapidly turns into desperate flailing and then just trying to run away.

In specific, look at the fight once Megatron is out of it. He desperately throws rocks at Prime, claws at his attachments and then gets his face ripped off. And then Megatron is just like 'yeah oh gently caress he wasn't on his level at all'.

Then he goes and finds another Prime to fight him. A fake one, I think?

Sentinel Prime was Optimus' predecessor as leader of the Autobots in both the movies and the current comics. We don't know why he stepped down while still physically able and in the films the Matrix was lost for a long rear end time so the position of PRIME was just a title.

Oh and when Lennox says "the great Matrix of Leadership" in DOTM I laugh my rear end off every time as it just sounds so loving hokey.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Actually Sentinel (Later Sit-inel) in IDW is sort of a wonky character, his original appearance painted him as just sort of the head of the Autobot "police" and then later they sort of retconned in that he was a "fake" prime (Omega implies everyone from Nova to Zeta is fake). Zeta is Optimus' direct predecessor in IDW. He is retconned as being an evil vampire robot in Autocracy!

Also my point is I believe the novelization or comics or something painted DOTM sentinel as just sort of a guy who got the title and not a 'real' prime as the Fallen and Optimus were/are or whatever, up until the movie 4 retcons or whatever. But Sentinel was more than a match for Optimus so it kinda makes the whole thing silly.

Rhyno posted:

Oh and when Lennox says "the great Matrix of Leadership" in DOTM I laugh my rear end off every time as it just sounds so loving hokey.
I kinda giggle whenever they say TF lore words. I was re-watching some of DOTM today and they go ENERGON DETECTED at the start of that bizarre chase scene, and I just paused for giggles. It isn't even tongue in cheek like Transformium.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually Sentinel (Later Sit-inel) in IDW is sort of a wonky character, his original appearance painted him as just sort of the head of the Autobot "police" and then later they sort of retconned in that he was a "fake" prime (Omega implies everyone from Nova to Zeta is fake). Zeta is Optimus' direct predecessor in IDW. He is retconned as being an evil vampire robot in Autocracy!

God drat it, in the OP Spotlight they have Nova, then Sentinel then Optimus. But I guess retconning is the thing at IDW these days, almost none of the Megatron Origin mini still jibes with the ongoing before MTMTE and RID.

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda giggle whenever they say TF lore words. I was re-watching some of DOTM today and they go ENERGON DETECTED at the start of that bizarre chase scene, and I just paused for giggles. It isn't even tongue in cheek like Transformium.

I just rewatched the first three films last week and there's so much groan-worthy stuff, I should've been taking notes.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Optimus Prime killing a human, even one who was :qq: REALLY MEAN :qq:, is the stupidest thing to happen in any Transformers story. Stupider than a seeker headbutting a knight, stupider than Seaspray shapeshifting, stupider than Prime sacrificing himself over a video game in the 80's comic, stupider than all other Bay-isms combined.

That's all. It's a good movie if you don't like Transformers, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Zeta retcon is actually from 2008 but they only really addressed it more recently.

GrimGypsy posted:

Optimus Prime killing a human, even one who was :qq: REALLY MEAN :qq:, is the stupidest thing to happen in any Transformers story.
Meh. The guy is singlehandedly responsible for murdering a score of Autobots for material gain and Optimus is acting to protect someone who saved his life. I didn't even find it slightly jarring, other than the fact Cade never really explained what happened on camera to Optimus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GrimGypsy posted:

Optimus Prime killing a human, even one who was :qq: REALLY MEAN :qq:, is the stupidest thing to happen in any Transformers story. Stupider than a seeker headbutting a knight, stupider than Seaspray shapeshifting, stupider than Prime sacrificing himself over a video game in the 80's comic, stupider than all other Bay-isms combined.

Nah, that was the best.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spiderdrake posted:

The Zeta retcon is actually from 2008 but they only really addressed it more recently.
Meh. The guy is singlehandedly responsible for murdering a score of Autobots for material gain and Optimus is acting to protect someone who saved his life. I didn't even find it slightly jarring, other than the fact Cade never really explained what happened on camera to Optimus.
Seconding this. It's not like Optimus executes him, he saves Mark Wahlberg and opens himself to a brutal asskicking from Lockdown in the process.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Optimus's predecessor was always Sentinel Prime in IDW, Dreamwave, and I think (not 100% sure though) Marvel continuity. However, it seems that for whatever reason High Moon chose to put a dude named Zeta Prime in Fall of Cybertron who dies allowing Optimus to take over as Prime instead of Sentinel.

So Sentinel Zeta Prime is now one dude, except for the times when he isn't. Great.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GrimGypsy posted:

Optimus Prime killing a human, even one who was :qq: REALLY MEAN :qq:, is the stupidest thing to happen in any Transformers story.

Counterpoint:

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually Sentinel (Later Sit-inel)

No one seemed to appreciate this, so I'll appreciate this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wait. Is SkyByte Jewish? I don't get it.

Skybyte is a shellformer.

GrimGypsy posted:

Reminder that Optimus orders Bumblebee to invade Iran in part 3.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Optimus's predecessor was always Sentinel Prime in IDW
Zeta Prime has been his predecessor for longer (six years) than the previous three years Sentinel could have been his predecessor, but I'm pretty sure they only introduced that in Spotlight Optimus in 2007. He was in Megatron Origins but I don't think they referred to him as even being a matrix bearer or Optimus taking over for him immediately after.

As for High Moon, they unfortunately got dragged into the Aligned continuity mess, so the whole Zeta thing falls under the official tagline of the aligned continuity which is "Doesn't make any loving sense".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What's wrong with aligned continuity? Isn't that just the game series (probably over) and the (now over) tv series?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cardboard Box A posted:

What's wrong with aligned continuity? Isn't that just the game series (probably over) and the (now over) tv series?

The problem was that it was supposed to be an all-encompassing, internally-consistent fresh start for TF continuity, unburdened by Multiversal Singularities and synthesizing the best concepts from the past 30 years of fiction into a coherent whole.

Instead, it's a handful of novels, one TV show (and an upcoming follow-up), three video games, and other poo poo, none of which entirely agree with one another, and some of which contradict themselves constantly (like the Exodus novel).

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Spiderdrake posted:

Nah, it's one of the dumbest and most tone-deaf things in a series defined by dumb, tone-deaf things. Heroes and protagonists (because they're not always the same thing, certainly not in the case of AoE Optimus) provide satisfying catharsis when they punch up, not down. There's no satisfaction to be derived from the badass hero swatting a fly with a Buick, which is what AoE expects us to cheer for in that scene.

The "he had no choice/other opportunity" explanation is nonsense, because it's fiction. Someone made it up. That means anything could have happened there. Cade didn't have to lose that fight. Frasier didn't have to be killed off. He could have been subdued (by Optimus, deciding to be the bigger man/bot?) and captured, then exposed for what he was, which is the ending actually foreshadowed by Stanley Tucci's character earlier in the third act. He could have been defeated and killed by Cade, having no other choice in the situation, which is a more palatable dramatic situation because it's not the equivalent of Superman punching the head off of Lex Luthor. No matter how much Lex deserves it, that's just not how it goes.

Heroes overcome odds, they surmount obstacles; they punch up. Bay's Optimus rarely does this, and usually the sequels end with a suddenly superpowered Optimus going biggety buck wild over helpless enemies. The interesting and satisfying fights involving Optimus in the film series are the ones in which he's up against crazy odds and barely hanging on, like the fight against Megatron in the first film, and the fight against all three Decepticons in the forest in RotF (arguably also the fight with Bonecrusher on the freeway in the first film, as there's a lot of back and forth in that and it's the first time we've seen Prime fight another Transformer). Blowing a mere human away in one shot is just another supposedly climactic fight that Optimus had no chance of losing. It's terrible filmmaking.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Optimus killing Kelsey Grammer owned.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Movie Optimus is at the point where he will just kill a threat he knows is going to come back later.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

therealjon_ posted:

Optimus killing Kelsey Grammer owned.

Especially because it's like you've seen how the Autobot weapons act on buildings, vehicles, reinforced armor and other robots. Meanwhile Kelsey just gets pinged in the head and flies back whereas I'm pretty sure he should have been loving vaporized or SOMETHING.

Movie Optimus is at the point where he will just kill a threat he knows is going to come back later.

Cheers spinoff with Optimus Prime anyone?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 7, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It started in G1, when Astoria remains unhurt despite getting smacked and tossed around by Powerglide.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rei_ posted:

Especially because it's like you've seen how the Autobot weapons act on buildings, vehicles, reinforced armor and other robots. Meanwhile Kelsey just gets pinged in the head and flies back whereas I'm pretty sure he should have been loving vaporized or SOMETHING.
The Decepticons literally gunned down civilians in DOTM and they exploded into puffs of ash, it was pretty crazy.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe Optimus set his phaser to stun?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
so are we getting David Hyde Peirce to be the bad guy for the next one? That would be pretty sweet.

Then we can have Bumblebee do a Mortal Kombat finisher on him, complete the horrible parent figure circle.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
With the recent talks about the cost of molds and different-colored plastic sprues and whatnot I saw this video on Digg and thought it would be really interesting to watch but alas it was the OTHER kind of transformer.

http://digg.com/video/this-chinese-worker-is-incredibly-fast-at-assembling-transformers

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Keldroc posted:

Superman punching the head off of Lex Luthor

I get what you're saying, but this would be awesome.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno man, Optimus going all "I sacrificed some video game characters to defeat Megatron I must kill myself and let the decepticons win in real life" was pretty goddamn stupid.

I mean I was a really small child when I read that issue and I couldn't believe how stupid it was. Incidentally that's also where they ended the comic series in my country so it was OVER - FINISHED and OP was dead for good.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 7, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

GrimGypsy posted:

Does he cry afterwards like the Man of Steel did

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Why...why, you guys, it's almost like Optimus Prime in the Bay universe isn't a hero at all!

I mean there is nothing in the films to suggest that he is a hero, in the sense that we normally think of heroes, other than he is fighting an evil greater than himself and that he is constantly saying how good he is. Otherwise, he is a dick who just happens to believe the flavor of his own bullshit.

I have a toy related question. I just put down a purchase at BBTS for a few pre-orders. The site seems a little contradictory, in that it's saying that, "All items added to the Pile of Loot must be paid within 10 days, or they will be cancelled." But it also says, "Preorder items are not charged until items arrive to us." So basically that's saying that I won't be charged automatically until the pre-order items arrive, because until then, they're technically not "added" to the pile of loot?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yes basically you will be charged when the items are in stock and go into your pile of loot (if you turn it on). The ten day window is if a card declines or something like that and you have to redo the payment.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Okay, awesome. I'll have plenty of money saved for it all when everything arrives in September or so, but now would be a little tighter.

I gotta get me some of that sweet sweet Quantron action.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

therealjon_ posted:

Maybe Optimus set his phaser to stun?

CYBORG ENEMIES :aaaaa:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Blackheart posted:

I dunno man, Optimus going all "I sacrificed some video game characters to defeat Megatron I must kill myself and let the decepticons win in real life" was pretty goddamn stupid.

I mean I was a really small child when I read that issue and I couldn't believe how stupid it was. Incidentally that's also where they ended the comic series in my country so it was OVER - FINISHED and OP was dead for good.

This is very true, and of all the stupid things any Optimus has ever done in any continuity, is probably #1 with a bullet. Even at the time, I thought Ethan Zachary should have pressed Megatron's button and told Prime to get his suicidal rear end out of Zachary's improbably high-ceilinged software company/industrial research facility or whatever it was. Or, you know, at least told somebody he copied that floppy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So is BBTS or TFSource the better site for ordering as a Canadian? I am pretty sure this year isn't going to be a good toy hunting year ;(

Also, new Thew?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Do you prefer to pay ahead or be charged when it ships?

TFSource you have to pay ahead. BBTS will let you cancel any time with no charges.

However if you are looking to get imports it would be cheaper to go AmiAmi or HLJ.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

So is BBTS or TFSource the better site for ordering as a Canadian? I am pretty sure this year isn't going to be a good toy hunting year ;(

Also, new Thew?

I've heard more than a few gripes about stuff from BBTS getting frequently hung up in customs. I've had to pay duty on some packages from them, but not all. Otherwise they're a pretty professional experience. Never ordered from tfsource before but MP Wheeljack and Bee are on order from them, so I guess I'll see how those go.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Optimus killed Fraiser because he was tired of fancy drawn out apartment parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"If I have to put up with one more farcical attempt to hide a dog food smear on one of Maris's paintings, I swear to Primus I'm taking that man's face."