Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Hmm... interesting update. A couple of questions was Rose out of the mirror at the end when she placed her hand on Alexis's shoulder? Did Blake plan for the demon to eat his connections? Pretty much everyone he was currently directly connected to via friendship and by the conflict with Conquest were at the warehouse. If his connections ceased to exist with everyone what would that imply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think what this means is that everyone was wrong about how the demon worked to begin with. It doesn't erase people from existence - it erases their connections to others, erasing them from memory, and then it captures them. We don't know what it does to them afterwards, but we can surmise that tea and crumpets are probably not involved. So Blake technically isn't dead yet, but otherwise he's about as hosed as it's possible to be.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So Rose is out of the mirror and Blake is likely still alive if in a serious spot of bother. It seems that the demon doesn't actualy erase people after all but rather removes their connections then I guess incorporates them into its body mass. Also Maggie apparently has the hots for our hero.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think the universe/whatever magic makes Rose into the next physical heir was tricked. When Blake's connections were severed, that magic considered him dead, and so Rose was pulled into the real world.

But I think Blake is alive and likely coming back.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Honestly, I'm more surprised by Maggy; I never really got that vibe from her. Question is whether it's from original Maggy or whatever poo poo is going on inside her now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, that was interesting. I would like to believe that Blake will bind Ur with his own voice, now that he is separated from Rose and no longer has her hogging all the Thorburn diabolist powers. Then he can emerge from the factory and start reforming those connections. However, this is not at all something I'd wager money on. Wildbow may be experimenting as a growing author with just how much he can do in stories like this.

Wait, didn't Wildbow say that he was going to do a Travelers-style long interlude after this arc? Son of a bitch.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP Blake

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
So did they manage to burn down the factory or not? Sucks for Blake if it goes.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Son of a bitch!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rose Spirit posted:

So did they manage to burn down the factory or not? Sucks for Blake if it goes.

Pact posted:

“You remember what we agreed to, right?” he asked.

She was panting, she looked bewildered.

“Abandon the mission,” Rose said.

“But-” she started.

“Wait for the fires to die down, abandon the mission,” Rose said.

“But-” Alexis said.

She couldn’t bring herself to finish the sentence.

She wasn’t even sure what she was supposed to say.

The others joined them. The Knights and Tiff. Watching the smoke rise. Watching a sparrow travel a confused path through the sky.

Rose settled a hand on Alexis’ shoulder. “We can’t do anything more here.”

Seems like they burned it down, but there's enough ambiguity that Blake could be alive in the basement. Poor Evan. :sigh:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I am convinced this is fully planned. It kind of makes sense... it frees Blake from the responsibilities of being the heir, completes his promise to Rose that he would try to help her become permanent, will allow him to travel the world trying to stop demons/bad others (part of #1) as Blake promised Evan, semi resolves the death of Laird though not the overall Jacob's Bell situation (if they think he's dead), allows him to continue to help Rose if he chooses but perhaps unties their fates, completes Isadora's prophecy, etc etc.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lyon posted:

I am convinced this is fully planned. It kind of makes sense... it frees Blake from the responsibilities of being the heir, completes his promise to Rose that he would try to help her become permanent, will allow him to travel the world trying to stop demons/bad others (part of #1) as Blake promised Evan, semi resolves the death of Laird though not the overall Jacob's Bell situation (if they think he's dead), allows him to continue to help Rose if he chooses but perhaps unties their fates, completes Isadora's prophecy, etc etc.

I don't know. Doesn't seem like it's going according to Blake's plan.

I saw what was happening, and felt only stark horror at the realization of just what it meant.

The back window. Through the spiderweb. With the flare gun, I could break the web.

I ran for it, giving it my all.

I didn’t make it.

Edit: I agree it's a clever way to wrap a bunch of things up, but that's a lot different than according to plan.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Grundulum posted:

Well, that was interesting. I would like to believe that Blake will bind Ur with his own voice, now that he is separated from Rose and no longer has her hogging all the Thorburn diabolist powers. Then he can emerge from the factory and start reforming those connections....
It's been covered a number of times that only women of the family get the Thorburn Voice and all that goes with it. I don't think a "real" female heir existing is going to make that better for Blake than the fake "mirror" heir did.

Mike Gallego posted:

I think the universe/whatever magic makes Rose into the next physical heir was tricked. When Blake's connections were severed, that magic considered him dead, and so Rose was pulled into the real world...
I'm hoping things are closer to this, since this would imply that the family's bad karma went with Rose, meaning Blake has time to pull himself together (assuming he gets out) and can work from secrecy for awhile, coming back with a bit of a power-up (and, hopefully, some more exploration into who he is as a character.)

Keep in mind, erasUr wasn't shown to sever the connections to Evan, who flew out of the roof. Only to his friends and backup who were standing outside. Which means, I hope, Evan to the rescue!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

Keep in mind, erasUr wasn't shown to sever the connections to Evan, who flew out of the roof. Only to his friends and backup who were standing outside. Which means, I hope, Evan to the rescue!

None of the characters recognize Evan at the end of the chapter, which is interesting. I don't think we have enough information on how magic works in-universe to do more than speculate on how connections and familiars work.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

If only Evan was a Fire Sparrow...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grundulum posted:

None of the characters recognize Evan at the end of the chapter, which is interesting. I don't think we have enough information on how magic works in-universe to do more than speculate on how connections and familiars work.

At least it's clear that Evan isn't Rose's familiar.

Edit: so who is? JC?

builds character fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 2, 2014

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

builds character posted:

At least it's clear that Evan isn't Rose's familiar.

Edit: so who is? JC?

In light of her taking Blake's place in life (friends included), having Corvidae would be quite funny... If incredibly, incredibly worrying. You'd have to be pretty hosed in the head to look at what Corvidae does and say "yeah he's my magical BFF now."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Einander posted:

In light of her taking Blake's place in life (friends included), having Corvidae would be quite funny... If incredibly, incredibly worrying. You'd have to be pretty hosed in the head to look at what Corvidae does and say "yeah he's my magical BFF now."

I'm hearing a yes from you. That's a "yes" right?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

pactwelp, saw that coming, still a kick in the gut.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP Blake, we knew ye all too little.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 5, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the off-chance Blake survived, what is he and does it really even count as surviving? What is left of a human being when you remove every connection they have to the world?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blake is still alive. I want to believe.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Between the bit at the end about making new motes, Isadora giving out luck, and the bits at the end about how demons can't ever (ever) create anything, I'm thinking that if anything's left of Blake, he's end up with an extremely complicated place in life. It's hard to be good and do good when you are literally a bleeding hole in reality.

I am extremely conflicted about the end of Rose's bit. On one hand, Evan will live! Yay! On the other hand, someone as messed up as Rose getting Evan, when familiars affect the master and the master affects the familiar? Oh no :ohdear:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This demon seems to be spawning, so presumably it does so by altering the things it consumes, rather than creating.

Poor Blake.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Fellwenner posted:

Blake is still alive. I want to believe.

What happens when you carve a reflection of a reflection?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

You're left with a shadow!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fellwenner posted:

You're left with a shadow!

Blake "Sandman Slim" Thorburn. I was ready to give this series up but now I need to knowwww.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
So, does the first part of the chapter imply that Ur is really a First Choir demon and Rose really hosed up on the analysis?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pavlov posted:

So, does the first part of the chapter imply that Ur is really a First Choir demon and Rose really hosed up on the analysis?

Yeah, pretty much.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I've been wondering if that actually a mistake, especially if she figured out what it does.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, so I've been thinking about this. I find killing off the main character interesting at a conceptual level, but I'm afraid of the execution here. Usually, to be able to support a main character's death, you need to have a really strong supporting cast to be able to fill in for the gap you leave. Evan is a good character, and Maggy is a pretty good one. Fell was good, but he's dead. Besides that, everyone else is pretty underwhelming or underutilized as far as protagonists go. I'm particularly afraid for Rose, who looks to be our next main, but who's managed to be more annoying than anything else in the story so far. We've unfortunately been very main character focused, and for me at least, losing the main character makes it feel like I've lost the majority of my investment in the story.

Worse, I think the story may have lost its investment too. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of reality destroying demons; I've written some similar concepts; but the fact that our main gets eaten by one means that the majority of his impact on the world is null and void. Blake had a nice arc, but I feel like it wasn't entirely finished. It's possible Blake is coming back, but the revelation that this is a First Choir demon makes that really unlikely. All that said, if Blake doesn't make a comeback, the story is going to have to make a really strong argument why it didn't just start with a different main to begin with.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure Rose identified Ur as part of the First Choir from almost the beginning. If she was wrong about anything it was about its power and size, which is something she and Blake were told about by Conquest. In that he called it a minor demon.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Blake had a nice arc, but I feel like it wasn't entirely finished. It's possible Blake is coming back, but the revelation that this is a First Choir demon makes that really unlikely.

Given that Blake made a point of the connections being eaten, rather than the person, I'm holding out hope that he survives. What he does once he's effectively a free agent with no power or resources is a question, but like you mentioned the alternative (switch in main/POV character partway through the series) is really jarring.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Happy Yeti posted:

I'm pretty sure Rose identified Ur as part of the First Choir from almost the beginning. If she was wrong about anything it was about its power and size, which is something she and Blake were told about by Conquest. In that he called it a minor demon.

Whoops, you're right.

“Demons and devils fall into choirs. Choir of dark, choir of chaos, choir of ruin, choir of madness, choir of the feral, choir of sin, and choir of unrest, in order. What we’re dealing with… I think it’s a demon of darkness, by all descriptions.”

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh right. It was Corvidae that was associated with the 7th choir. My bad.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

These past 2 updates have really been helping my liking of Pact. I hope Blake never comes back.

Maggie and Molly are best frands

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"as penance for having you brutally murdered i've bound a horrifying vestige of you to your gravesite"

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

"“I played a prank to equalize things because you assholes felt like the new girl needed to know her place or some poo poo like that.”"

Maggie is cursing, wonder what the relevance is (I assume it isn't a mistake).

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, it's messed up that he voted in favor of executing her after she merely responded to hostilities. Jacob's Bell establishment has a really hosed up sense of morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It has nothing to do with morality :eng101:

• Locked thread