Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Isn't it like 110şF in Dallas these days? How is that one guy completely covered in clothes? Like even a balaclava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Who had some Greenwich Village monthly newspaper as the first media entity to drop an n-bomb with regards to Obama?

It's supposed to be a piece about how right-wingers hate Obama because he's black, but did they really have to use that headline?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's provocative. The story below it kinda reads like the whole thing should be from The Onion.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

Isn't it like 110şF in Dallas these days? How is that one guy completely covered in clothes? Like even a balaclava.

I've been seeing a lot of people outside in jeans lately and it's very worrying to me.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am on my phone and finding a link is hard but my brother in law just told me that a guy is going to run against Lindsey Graham as an independent. The guy used to be the South Carolina state treasurer and he just got out of jail after 10 months because he bought cocaine for his friends and himself.

My BIL and his wife said voting for that guy would be better than voting for Graham.

Side note: their house is the house of conservative. All of rand's books on a book shelf, Atlas Shrugged the movie, the Fountainhead the movie, Obama's America (unopened thankfully), and an Apple TV with only the Blaze channel on it (the kids will love Liberty Treehouse).

I talked about it in the mid-terms thread. His name Thomas Ravenel, he got out of jail about 6 years ago or so. Other fun fact about him is that he was in a reality show called "Southern Charm" last year. The show is about some Southern aristocrats here in Charleston, while on the show he had a child out of wedlock with a 22 or something year old, they are now married (he is about 50). His family is old money and he will be self funding the campaign for the most part. Should make for an interesting race!

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not yet, low 90's. The 100+ days will be here in a couple weeks, though.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Sir Tonk posted:

Bigger college vocabulary, combined with never having a real job and/or having to support yourself, is ideal for developing libertarian beliefs.

The leader of Open Carry Texas.

an extended magazine on an AK that holds what 50 rounds? and the other rifle has a Beta C mag that holds 100, what a loving tool

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al Harrington posted:

an extended magazine on an AK that holds what 50 rounds? and the other rifle has a Beta C mag that holds 100, what a loving tool

Man, when he runs into 151 bad guys while he's out buying another case of Monster Energy from the grocery store his face is going to be so red.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Shageletic posted:

Well this was bound to happen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/07/hobby-lobby-is-already-creating-new-religious-demands-on-obama/373853/

Just a reminder: faith based organizations are still the most used tool for federal expenditures to help the needy, and governmental monies are still the number one source of funding for the organizations.

EDIT: And speaking of faith based organizations, here's an interesting piece on why the immigration bill died last week, when it had near unanimous support among all major religious lobbies.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/06/even-conservative-evangelical-support-couldn-t-save-immigration-reform.html

So this poo poo is going to go nowhere right? Because I can maybe pallet the hobby lobby decision but if it actually morphs into full on faith-based discrimination then it's time to [insert invective directed at Supreme Court that will get Lowtax a visit from the FBI]

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Maneuvering an AK with that long of a mag is silly. How many UN shock troops is he planning to kill?

Did he just go to the gun show and ask for the biggest mags available? Does he drive a jacked up F250 as well?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Man, when he runs into 151 bad guys while he's out buying another case of Monster Energy from the grocery store his face is going to be so red.

It'll be more red after the thing mis-feeds on the eighth round.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Abel Wingnut posted:

You do get used to it, especially if you live there, and the extra cloth does protect against the sun. Drink lots of water and don't do anything too strenuous and you should be fine as long as you're not wearing something outlandish like a winter coat. The people in the pictures aren't doing anything worse than going for a walk and playing music, and probably downing lots and lots of water.

And, as people mentioned, the 100+ F days aren't generally until late July and August.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Maneuvering an AK with that long of a mag is silly. How many UN shock troops is he planning to kill?

Did he just go to the gun show and ask for the biggest mags available? Does he drive a jacked up F250 as well?

It'll be more red after the thing mis-feeds on the eighth round.

It's Texas. An F-250 is like a compact car.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

fade5 posted:

All this talk of John Brown and no one's posted the greatest picture of him that was ever painted?

Tragic Prelude, by John Steuart Curry.

I swear he looks almost exactly like a history prof I had. Cool guy, didn't pull any punches. I distinctly recall a very Southern Baptist kid sitting next to me squirming in his chair when the prof talked about Jahweh being the hebrew war god out of their original pantheon.

His beard was shorter, though. The prof, not Jahweh.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

ShadowCatboy posted:

Welp, I touched the poop and started up a couple facebook debates with some libertarians. I pointed out that part of the reason health care costs were so high was because the underutilized primary care in the US meant higher costs when catastrophic medical consequences result. His response?

"I think that's a rather superficial and simplistic analysis of the economic causality relevant to the situation. Mandated coverage of anything tends to cause the cost of those things to skyrocket. What you say would be true under freedom, but not when force is involved."

At this point I'm starting to realize that I'm talking to a dewy-eyed idealistic manchild, because he apparently thinks FREEDOM is some mystical force of of the universe like karma or the Tao. I pointed out that regulations can be good or bad, and how heavily an industry should be regulated depends on what guidelines it needs to follow to be maximally effective while not imposing too great a burden on society. Basically, I argued that you have to take these things on a case-by-case basis, instead of lumping it into one magical theory of "regulations bad! FREEDOM!" After all, universal laws work very well for very simple systems, but as things get more complex those laws have less and less utility. He had this to say:

"I have neither the time nor the interest to disabuse you of the numerous fallacies in your posts. Your "cited" "facts" are wrong, and your allergy to conceptualization (and your fetish around disintegration) is telling. It certainly doesn't entice me to engage with you any further."

Analyzing an issue in detail? Trying to understand the individual components of something and how they function in context? That's just an "allergy to conceptualization and a fetish for disintegration!" :psyduck:

Basically, the one common observation I see with libertarians (and many Conservatives in general) is that they are idealists first and realists only very far down the line. They operate on the ideal of absolute freedom, but have no empirical understanding of how those ideals might ethically conflict in real-world scenarios. They think that "THIS is how X should work" on a purely theoretical level, but never consider the logistics of operation and what sort of stumbling blocks can keep that theory from working in practical reality.

Over the years I've gotten the impression that conservative thinking has been reduced to the mindset of angsty teenagers: they're so invested in how they think the world should operate that they don't bother to work with how it does, even if it leads to them harming themselves in the long run. All their protests of stubbornly refusing to buy health insurance, guzzling soda and gorging on donuts, and blasting exhaust fumes all over the street whenever they see a Prius smacks of "NO DAD DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" It's like dealing with a brat who gets nose piercings, tattoos, and smokes just because "it's MY BODY I'll do whatever I want with it!" It's kinda cute in that cheeky way when they're 16 and you know it's just a phase, but it's much less endearing when they're in their mid-to-late 40s and wheeling around in rascals to the voting booths. Their protests aren't about the social benefits of their theories, it's all about spiting authorities in order to express their individualism.

Basically, I'm saying conservatives are literally manchildren and they need to grow the gently caress up.

They are incredibly stupid, and they believe cloaking their stupidity in pseudo academic lingo and nonsensical theory (the Austrian school, praxology, objectivisim) makes them intelligent, and they convince others, using these tools, that they are intelligent. It's all just morons endlessly justifying FYGMism. Put them all in a boat and float it into the middle of the Pacific and sink it halfway; the last man standing is John Galt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dystram posted:

They are incredibly stupid, and they believe cloaking their stupidity in pseudo academic lingo and nonsensical theory (the Austrian school, praxology, objectivisim) makes them intelligent, and they convince others, using these tools, that they are intelligent. It's all just morons endlessly justifying FYGMism. Put them all in a boat and float it into the middle of the Pacific and sink it halfway; the last man standing is John Galt.

Man, this would make a great reality TV show. Just grab a bunch of Libertarians and "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" types and lock them in a room/island with only a set amount of supplies and challenge them to become the next John Galt.

Just stand back, have your producers regularly goad them on like in any other reality TV show and only do the minimum intervention necessary to please your insurance (in order to create a proper "free market simulation") and watch as they try to rip out each other's throats and become the captain of industry on their own little island.

Basically, Survivor without even the pretense of people getting along.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

Man, this would make a great reality TV show. Just grab a bunch of Libertarians and "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" types and lock them in a room/island with only a set amount of supplies and challenge them to become the next John Galt.

Just stand back, have your producers regularly goad them on like in any other reality TV show and only do the minimum intervention necessary to please your insurance (in order to create a proper "free market simulation") and watch as they try to rip out each other's throats and become the captain of industry on their own little island.

Basically, Survivor without even the pretense of people getting along.

That would make a great reality TV show. I think I'd call it "Actual 21st Century Reality: Neoliberal Capitalists Competing in a Winner Take All Real Life Game of Monopoly - Global Devastation Oblivion Edition"

Ye best start belivin' in capitalist dystopias, laddy. Yer in one! :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dystram posted:

That would make a great reality TV show. I think I'd call it "Actual 21st Century Reality: Neoliberal Capitalists Competing in a Winner Take All Real Life Game of Monopoly - Global Devastation Oblivion Edition"

Ye best start belivin' in capitalist dystopias, laddy. Yer in one! :getin:

Too long. Just call it "Who is John Galt?" Or "Who is the next John Galt?" for simplicity sake. Easier to sell that way. Your title is better suited for the research paper you write off of it (while still raking in the money from the reality TV show).

But yeah, basically, just toss the idiots on an island with a film crew. Every time the people look like they're about to get along have a producer start insinuating "well that's what a moocher would do". Only take people off the island when they lose all of whatever arbitrary points are given to them, are suffering from malnutrition due to fighting over the limited but more than adequate resources they mis-manage, or they start begging to be let off. You can't be voted off, you can either lose or admit on national TV that you are not a Libertarian Ubermensch.

Even better, as the latest Atlas Shrugged movie proves, Libertarians have no sense of irony and you could probably get them to eagerly crowdfund this idea if you had the film company able to produce it.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 7, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

Too long. Just call it "Who is John Galt?" Or "Who is the next John Galt?" for simplicity sake. Easier to sell that way. Your title is better suited for the research paper you write off of it (while still raking in the money from the reality TV show).

But yeah, basically, just toss the idiots on an island with a film crew. Every time the people look like they're about to get along have a producer start insinuating "well that's what a moocher would do". Only take people off the island when they lose all of whatever arbitrary points are given to them, are suffering from malnutrition due to fighting over the limited but more than adequate resources they mis-manage, or they start begging to be let off. You can't be voted off, you can either lose or admit on national TV that you are not a Libertarian Ubermensch.

Even better, as the latest Atlas Shrugged movie proves, Libertarians have no sense of irony and you could probably get them to eagerly crowdfund this idea if you had the film company able to produce it.

The joke was that an idiotic, selfish group of capitalists short-sightedly competing to out-Galt each other while the rest of us are destroyed in the crossfire is actual real life.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dystram posted:

The joke was that an idiotic, selfish group of capitalists short-sightedly competing to out-Galt each other while the rest of us are destroyed in the crossfire is actual real life.

Oh, sorry for missing it. I was just wishing I had the resources to make some money off of the suckers.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

Oh, sorry for missing it. I was just wishing I had the resources to make some money off of the suckers.

The show would be fairly hilarious. I'm sure that, on the way from out current dystopia to a Mad Max level dystopia, we'll hit a Running Man level dystopia, and maybe we'll see your TV show then.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Alkydere posted:

Why take any of them off the island? Keep them all there for the entire length of the show. See who volunteers for indentured servitude so they can eat.

Discovery Channel did two seasons of a show called The Colony, where they dropped a pretty diverse and somewhat skilled group of people into a "post-apocalyptic wasteland" after a "nuclear flu" to survive. I didn't see the first season, but the second season set in a deserted part of New Orleans post-Katrina was incredible. Highlights follow:

They managed to rig a windmill for power to their shelter, which was a magnet for looters who kidnapped one of them and demanded most of their resources for ransom. They all sucked so badly at all aspects of survival the producers dropped in a "guardian angel" to provide them food. They still managed to lose when a scouting group found a viable house on the bayou, but when they all went to move in it was occupied by armed marauders who would've just killed them all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Colony stuff

The guardian angel was *also* one of those "diverse" people, though - he was dropped off on the same exact day everyone else was, he was simply told to hang out on his own for a while and actually had skills relevant to the situation. All of that food he had? That was all stuff he'd accumulated under the *same exact situation* as the rest of the 'survivors'! It was actually pretty awesome. "This is how you guys could be living as well if you weren't such goddamn screw-ups."

Well, ostensibly, anyway. I got the feeling the show faked a lot of stuff, even beyond what it admitted it was faking, and as enjoyable as it was it was hard to be sure what and how much was actually genuine.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

radical meme posted:

In the June thread, I posted an article about a Dallas musician, Barry Kooda, promoting an "Open Guitar Rally" in response to the open carry nonsense.

Because this is SA and everything can have a cartoon linked to it: Adult Swim's Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law had a great episode featuring 'guitar control' using QuickDraw McGraw as a Charleston Heston caricature.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0597339/

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Shbobdb posted:

It is easy to think that based on the book, but Rand was a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and Usonian design. So while Roark is hating on linear lines and greek columns, he isn't making Chthulu-structures. It's erotic fanfiction, where FLW thinks all sex is rape (and that is sexy as hell).

FLW was his own special kind of dipshit; the man built a freakish cult of personality, had zero tolerance for dissent or disagreement, was a serial adulterer, treated his employees so poorly Galt would be proud, and was an absolute motherfucker in terms of his personality. gently caress that guy, even on tours of his more famous projects (Taliesin, Taliesin West) the guides have a very, very hard time finding any way to make the man sound likable in even the smallest of ways.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

wheez the roux posted:

FLW was his own special kind of dipshit; the man built a freakish cult of personality, had zero tolerance for dissent or disagreement, was a serial adulterer, treated his employees so poorly Galt would be proud, and was an absolute motherfucker in terms of his personality. gently caress that guy, even on tours of his more famous projects (Taliesin, Taliesin West) the guides have a very, very hard time finding any way to make the man sound likable in even the smallest of ways.

I was visiting a museum that had an exhibition on Frank Lloyd Wright some months ago, and among the items on display was a model proposed by Wright for an ideal city. That place had everything: zoos, factories, farms, rivers, ponds, rec centers, you name it. Additionally, there was a hill where only the most respected and affluent members of society lived. And who lived on top of that hill, in the nicest houses? The architects, of course. Because they are naturally the ones taht contribute most to society.

(Nothing against architects, mind. But seriously, Frank? Seriously?)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Wright was a genius and architectural innovator, one of the best- but I can attest that Taliesin, the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture school, is continuing the cult format. Among other things, they make a habit of having students build structures that they then live in- because that's a meaningful substitute for studying, for example, structural engineering or substance thermodynamics. Listen to this utter wank:

Taliesin website posted:

The shelter program originated in the late 30s with the construction of Taliesin West. During the first years of residency apprentices lived in small shepherd’s tents that were made of canvas, set on metal frames attached to a 10-foot square masonry base. As simple variations of tetrahedrons and pyramids these structures not only provided apprentices with housing, but also helped them understand the nature of the vast Sonoran desert in which they lived. Although the Shelter Construction Program has evolved since its founding to include more design choices, all shelters have been built by students living closely with the natural environment, thereby better understanding what Wright envisioned when he wrote in his autobiography: All students are encouraged to participate in the Shelter Construction Program to improve their architectural skills, gain a deeper appreciation of the design/build process in relationship to nature, and to participate in a team effort that is remarkably fulfilling.

Despite Wright's significant contributions to the field, his main influence has been to increase the degree to which architectural artistry is prioritized over safety or client needs. Like Whistler's Peacock Room, except it costs ten times as much and might collapse and kill people.

Now James Stirling, he knew what was what. Then again, he was British.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 7, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dystram posted:

I figure this will end up same way-

http://utopiatvcasting.com/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Good news people, a bunch of millionaries have decided that no one cares about income inequality

quote:

With Democrats split on inequality issues, Obama shifts talk away from income gap

After making fighting income inequality an early focus of his second term, President Obama has largely abandoned talk of the subject this election year in a move that highlights the emerging debate within the Democratic Party over economic populism and its limits.

During the first half of this year, Obama shifted from income inequality to the more politically palatable theme of lifting the middle class, focusing on issues such as the minimum wage and the gender pay gap that are thought to resonate with a broader group of voters.

The pivot is striking for a president who identified inequality as one of his top concerns after his reelection, calling it “a fundamental threat to the American Dream, our way of life and what we stand for around the globe.”

The shift also underscores the ongoing dispute between the Democratic Party’s liberal and moderate wings over how to address inequality issues. Whereas the left takes a more combative tone, seeking to focus on the income gap and what it views as the harmful influence of big business and Wall Street, more centrist forces in the party favor an emphasis on less-divisive issues.

White House officials say the change in the president’s rhetoric was driven by a desire to focus not just on the problem — economic inequality — but also on solutions that could address it. Others close to the White House contend that the move is at least partly driven by Democratic polling that found that talking about income inequality does not register strongly with the American public and risks accusations of class warfare.

“It was clear in 2013 that income inequality was the top narrative for the White House, but they abruptly switched away from it,” said Jim Kessler, senior vice president for policy at Third Way, a centrist Democratic think tank that has advised the White House and Democrats to avoid excessive populism. “Income inequality seems like it’s on the back burner now — at least in terms of their rhetoric.”

The shift hints at a broader repositioning of Democratic messaging ahead of the midterm elections and, perhaps, the 2016 presidential race. House and Senate strategists and their pollsters have concluded that they should focus less on the wealth gap and more on emphasizing that all Americans should have economic “opportunity” to get ahead or a “fair shot.”

“Both the White House and the Senate agreed that the decline of middle-class incomes was the most serious issue we face in this country, but the focus had to be on how to get middle-class incomes up, rather than drive other people’s incomes down,” said Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.), the messaging chief for Senate Democrats.

He added, “There are some who believe it’s better to talk about the negative parts of wealth that people have accumulated, but our polling data show people care less about that and more about how we’re going to help them.”

But many liberal Democrats, represented most prominently by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), have been pushing an increasingly populist economic agenda. Some warn against papering over the wealth gap with euphemisms.

“It matters a lot, and I think that talking about inequality is talking about raising the bottom in a very concrete way for everybody, whereas talking about opportunity is much more narrowly focused,” said John Schmitt, an economist with the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research.

The new Democratic focus, he said, risks being solely “about creating opportunities for some of the people at the bottom to go up, but leaving the rest of the folks where they are.”

Last year, Obama personally felt the pull of these arguments. White House political research showed that income inequality was a wonky term that did not always resonate with voters, but he insisted on speaking about it anyway.

That focus culminated in a December speech in a low-income neighborhood in Southeast Washington, where he referenced inequality 26 times and discussed academic findings on the gap between the wealthy and the poor.

“He wasn’t particularly interested in knowing whether that was a good economic message,” said one person familiar with the process, who spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss private conversations. “He wanted to sound alarm and put voice behind that.”

But as 2014 loomed, White House strategists concluded that inequality was not registering with voters on its own.

A senior White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss private conversations, said that Obama primarily wanted to focus on more inclusive language such as “opportunity” and specific policies such as raising the minimum wage or infrastructure spending to create jobs that could help workers.

“Income inequality is much more a term of art than a term of everyday politics, and public-opinion polling has borne that out pretty quickly,” said Geoff Garin, a Democratic pollster. “I think it doesn’t have a personal immediacy and there are lot of other things that speak to income inequality that are much more immediate and much more tangible and much more real to people.”

Regardless of the terms he used, congressional Republicans have continued to lash out at Obama’s economic philosophy.

“As we head into the Independence Day weekend, it’s disappointing to realize that millions of our fellow Americans think the American Dream is slipping away because they can’t find good jobs in the Obama economy,” Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Thursday.

Other conservatives, however, see room for agreement between Obama’s focus on mobility and Republicans, who have also been searching for better ways to address middle-class anxieties.

“I think it actually reflects not necessarily a consensus, but a growing recognition that there is a distinction between inequality itself and a deeper concern about whether there are some people who lack the ability to move up the economic ladder,” said Stuart Butler, a senior fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

Meanwhile, other left-leaning economists say it does not matter whether Obama chooses different language so long as he advocates the right policies.

“When I hear inequality and middle class, they are two slices of the same thing,” said Heather Boushey, executive director of the Washington Center for Equitable Growth. “Politically, his job is to connect with his constituents in trying to figure out which of those phrases are the most compelling.”

Beyond the politics, Obama’s public statements suggest he is skeptical that members of either party would embrace some of the policies aimed squarely at reducing income inequality, such as taxing wealthier Americans in order to give more benefits to poorer Americans.

In a profile this year, Obama told David Remnick of the New Yorker that “the appetite for tax-and-transfer strategies, even among Democrats, much less among independents or Republicans, is probably somewhat limited, because people are seeing their incomes haven’t gone up, their wages haven’t gone up. It’s natural for them to think, ‘Any new taxes may be going to somebody else, I’m not confident in terms of how it’s going to be spent, I’d much rather hang on to what I’ve got.’ ”

For those who forget, Third Way isn't a "centrist Democratic think tank", it is a Wall Street lobbying group (primarily JP Morgan Chase) whose goals are cutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other social programs (because that is a very responsible, very serious, very centrist position), and has been going after Elizabeth Warren since she was talking about the CFPB (and she kicked their rear end last December, resulting in a lot of muckreads on Third Way).

http://littlesis.org/org/35880/Third_Way

Anyways, god loving drat it. I know it is a rhetorical style in an election year (the House will stop anything from getting done in terms of policy), but that poo poo does matter for setting up the expectations you politicians will be held to and for closing off the path for the opposition.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rand may have liked Wright's architecture, but I'm guessing she was oblivious to his land use policy prescriptions:

Emily Washington posted:

Wright called his urban development vision Broadacres because he thought that population density should be less than one person per acre...

This is all well and good for those who want to live far from cities. However, Wright went on to argue that density of people and buildings is not merely an issue of preference, but one of democracy. He argued that city life restricted individuals’ freedom of movement, and that skyscrapers limited individualism by increasing congestion and “keeping concentration where it is,” as if working or living in a skyscraper was like being in prison rather than a voluntary activity. Like many who have argued against building density because it increases congestion, Wright downplayed the necessary traffic congestion that occurs when land use restrictions require people to live far from their workplaces...

[I]t’s important to note that [Broadacres is] also very anti-libertarian. The design relies on a central plan which Wright envisioned repeated over and over in cities across the country. He saw room for individualism in house design, but the land use plan would rely entirely on county-level planners...

He sounds not unlike a Randian villain. While Wright professed support of limited government, he advocated authoritarianism in land use. Individual liberty requires the freedom for consumers to choose to live in a setting like Broadacres or in a skyscraper like one of Howard Roark’s, but Wright’s plan would not offer this choice.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Warcabbit posted:

I think my favorite is the one guy with a cymbal.

Drummers... :rolleyes:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fried Chicken posted:

Good news people, a bunch of millionaries have decided that no one cares about income inequality

For those who forget, Third Way isn't a "centrist Democratic think tank", it is a Wall Street lobbying group (primarily JP Morgan Chase) whose goals are cutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other social programs (because that is a very responsible, very serious, very centrist position), and has been going after Elizabeth Warren since she was talking about the CFPB (and she kicked their rear end last December, resulting in a lot of muckreads on Third Way).

http://littlesis.org/org/35880/Third_Way

Anyways, god loving drat it. I know it is a rhetorical style in an election year (the House will stop anything from getting done in terms of policy), but that poo poo does matter for setting up the expectations you politicians will be held to and for closing off the path for the opposition.

Get ready to hear more from these clowns as Hillary Clinton is in bed with pretty much every one of these "centristy" groups.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Get ready to hear more from these clowns as Hillary Clinton is in bed with pretty much every one of these "centristy" groups.

I get the feeling this kind of thing is the way Hillary could blow the election. Republicans are going to vote so hard their election machines will catch fire after eight years of Obama with the thought of their great enemy Hillary in the Presidency. If she spends her time making stupid "Hey I can understand how poor you guys are since I was broke" statements while cozying up to Wall Street types that not only want more money, but to reduce social services it's not going to be a compelling campaign. We can talk about how important it is that we get a Democrat to nominate RBG's scotus replacement but that isn't going to drive non-political types to the polls on election day. If the GOP can keep their misogyny in check and only infer that the younger, unmarried types are the "bad ones" they won't have to worry too much about middle class, white, married women leaving their party in droves.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Radish posted:

If the GOP can keep their misogyny in check

I don't mean to be glib, but, um, ha ha?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

If the GOP can keep their misogyny in check...

You already know that they can't. Ask any recent female Democratic candidate how she thinks the GOP will respond to Hillary Clinton on a national ticket -- I bet the responses would be golden.

But I take your larger point about HRC 3rd-waying herself into a corner. In the meantime, we can console ourselves with toy math about white married women, because whether one likes it or not, identity politics is going to be worth at least a couple of percentage points in an election with the first female presidential candidate. But can we keep enough men? I worry about Bradley-effect misogyny because I think it's way more ingrained in 18yr-40yr white men (at this point in history) than racism was during the Obama elections.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The broadly effect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

As terrible as Atlas Shrugged is, I glanced at the contents and saw a chapter entitled "This is John Galt Speaking."
It's like a punchline to a joke I've heard set up for years, and I'm going to get to see it unfold.
This had better loving deliver.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Two Finger posted:

As terrible as Atlas Shrugged is, I glanced at the contents and saw a chapter entitled "This is John Galt Speaking."
It's like a punchline to a joke I've heard set up for years, and I'm going to get to see it unfold.
This had better loving deliver.

Manure trucks deliver, too.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004
On the last campaign Clinton announced she wanted to for s Secretary for Poverty, something along those lines. I remember reading something in the office about that. What I can't recall is if she announced it before or after Super Tuesday.

I was at her last or second-to-last campaign speech in New York, I remember supporters saying they would NEVER vote for Obama because he was going to destroy the nation!! I was one of the only people of color working out of her Midtown Manhattan office, me and a couple other latinos. I remember when the white guys were saying that me and the other minorities side-eyed each other, probably all thinking "Yeah, okay buddy." There was a ton of vitriol from the white people I knew that Obama won the nomination, I guess it all must have died down because hey, he won the election.

That long rambling recollection was by way of saying that Clinton seemed invincible then too, but she's 6 years older and making the same god damned stupid, unforced errors. I mean, remember, Terry loving McAuliffe ran that campaign. No one made him pick her, and that kind of dumbass poo poo ran down the line. The advantages she had 6 years ago are the same advantages people are touting now, the only thing she's done in the meantime was be Secretary of State, and who the hell even knows what the SecState does besides political junkies?

The only problem I see is no one on the horizon to take her down, but that was true in 2008 too. Maybe Reid will pull another rabbit out of his hat and stop the juggernaut again.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Alkydere posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The GOP isn't going to have Obama's campaign/ground game which is why they're most likely not going to win, but the part that makes me apprehensive is that Hillary might not have it either.

• Locked thread