Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Act now and you guys can get on the Doobie 2: Potato Saladoo train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

just placing this on the new page because wow

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I like that he's not overly ambitious, other than the lowest and highest, all the pledge levels have a limited number of rewards so he doesn't get overwhelmed e-mailing 5000 pictures of him making potato salad to people. That's more foresight than most kickstarters, unless hundreds of people are willing to blow $25+ on a stupid internet joke he's pretty safe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hell Doobie still owes a lot of bad froggers hot dogs but really how many of them are capable of collecting?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I'd also like to know what the Solar Roadway people did with all that money since even a cursory glance at the labor required would never make it a good idea. Like they didn't seriously show these hexagonal glass roads to a scientist and get a big thumbs up, it's absolutely beyond retarded.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Alan Smithee posted:

Hell Doobie still owes a lot of bad froggers hot dogs but really how many of them are capable of collecting?

Well they were promised combo meals and combo meals don't exist at Doobie's Dog House and there's nothing he can do about that. Dobbie does not make the dogs he just enforces them. God Bless.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
That guy is going to be making so much potato salad. I'm pretty jealous.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What happened with the guy who was funded to review burritos?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

steinrokkan posted:

What happened with the guy who was funded to review burritos?

He raised enough money to review one while skydiving. Unfortunately he missed his stretch goal to review one on a Vomit Comet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yond Cassius posted:

He raised enough money to review one while skydiving.

Rigby made a Kickstarter?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Excels posted:

I'd also like to know what the Solar Roadway people did with all that money since even a cursory glance at the labor required would never make it a good idea. Like they didn't seriously show these hexagonal glass roads to a scientist and get a big thumbs up, it's absolutely beyond retarded.

The way I see it, the Solar Roadways project has 4 possible conclusions:

1) The project is genuine and works perfectly. Congratulations, over the next several decades we will have solved the clean/renewable energy problem and simultaneously reduced road maintenance, traffic accidents, and helped a myriad of other issues.

2) The project is genuine, but never gets past the parking lot/driveway phase (which they have repeatedly stated will be their first step before they move on to roads and highways). This still a big step towards providing clean and renewable energy for places like shopping malls, large businesses, or anything else with huge sections of pavement.

3) The project is genuine but is a complete failure. It has still created tons of research, public awareness, and new ideas for clean/renewable energy and road safety.

4) The project is a scam. Seeing how neither the Federal Highway Administration nor any of the civil engineering labs across the country that have tested traction, durability, etc. have yet to speak up and say "These people have not worked with us like they say they have and/or are presenting falsified information on their multimillion dollar crowdfunding campaign with our endorsements all over it", I find this INCREDIBLY difficult to believe. If that somehow IS the case, they STILL have created tons of research, public awareness, and new ideas for clean/renewable energy and road safety.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is gonna turn out OK.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
5) They are honest working people in over their heads. After a few years of R&D, they deploy a production-ready version of the R&D panels in a few small areas like parking lots where it's really expensive but the store owner can pay for it. It turns out to actually be a net loss, as they constantly break and require expensive maintenance, and it's just not bringing in enough electricity because solar panels don't do so well when you bury them under 6 feet of durable glass that scatter the light.

It becomes a silent failure, with the inventors showing up every once in a while in the tech news, and then slowly fade into obscurity.

A few years later, people wonder where our "SOLAR FUCKIN' ROADWAYS" future was, and Google it to find out the sad story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Backers
$834
pledged of $10 goal

:suicide:

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I believe that pretty clearly falls under "The project is genuine but is a complete failure". While the general populace might forget, I seriously doubt the industry, government, and environmental people who spent so much time on it will.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

5) They are honest working people in over their heads. After a few years of R&D, they deploy a production-ready version of the R&D panels in a few small areas like parking lots where it's really expensive but the store owner can pay for it. It turns out to actually be a net loss, as they constantly break and require expensive maintenance, and it's just not bringing in enough electricity because solar panels don't do so well when you bury them under 6 feet of durable glass that scatter the light.

It becomes a silent failure, with the inventors showing up every once in a while in the tech news, and then slowly fade into obscurity.

A few years later, people wonder where our "SOLAR FUCKIN' ROADWAYS" future was, and Google it to find out the sad story.

this is it, pretty much the only way these roads work is if they're not actually driven on because they're a maintenance nightmare that barely generates enough power to keep their own LEDs on under ideal conditions (that is, not dirty, scratched, or with traffic sitting on them)

they're clearly not scammers and they have some prototypes that seem to work but for the cost we should just be putting solar panels on roofs instead of shingles

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

You know they have specifically addressed concerns like dirt, heavy traffic, and durability in their FAQs, right? I'm not saying this is going to be a guaranteed success, but a lot of people don't seem to be giving them enough credit. Why would they have even gotten as far as they have if all these mundane problems were such death knells? Part of the reason they're asking for funding in the first place is to solve the actual problems they've found.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Frocobo posted:

You know they have specifically addressed concerns like dirt, heavy traffic, and durability in their FAQs, right? I'm not saying this is going to be a guaranteed success, but a lot of people don't seem to be giving them enough credit. Why would they have even gotten as far as they have if all these mundane problems were such death knells? Part of the reason they're asking for funding in the first place is to solve the actual problems they've found.

is it your kickstarter

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Solar roadways is total bullshit. Jesus. "It's durable, look we can run a bulldozer with giant loving tires on it at 10 mph." Price competitive with almost infinitely recyclable asphalt? No but the paltry power generation will make up for it somehow.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Frocobo posted:

I believe that pretty clearly falls under "The project is genuine but is a complete failure". While the general populace might forget, I seriously doubt the industry, government, and environmental people who spent so much time on it will.

But you stipulated that the research that went into it would be useful. It's more likely that the avenues they are exploring are mostly non starters and wastes of time, leading to dead ends and wasting the time and money of otherwise smart and dedicated people. And that any public awareness will do more harm than good when the whole thing inevitably crashes and burns and everyone writes off solar in general rather than just solar deployed in stupid ways.

Also, their FAQ just brushes off or fails to even mention some massive issues. They are loving obsessed with making this poo poo work in Northern states even though solar only really makes sense in more equatorial climates with more direct sunlight and fewer overcast days. Dirt isn't an issue apparently because "roads keep themselves clean" and they can just "send street sweepers" around, with no thought given to the energy or materials used by these sweepers. There's literally no mention of loving abrasion, which would be a HUGE issue with thousands of cars running over a dusty, gritty road day in day out. Ever seen a piece of sea glass? That's what abrasion does to glass, it loses clarity in just a few months and would massively impact light transmission. The ENTIRE ROAD WILL BE HEATED to protect from frost heave; keeping a road tens of degrees hotter than it's surroundings will apparently be easy and use less power than the solar panels actually produce. If a section of heater breaks then they'll just.....what? close the road while they fix it? leave it and let the frost do as it pleases? Their answer to earthquakes is "well, regular roads get hosed up too!", without considering that a minor quake would likely gently caress up brittle tempered glass much more than more flexible asphalt, could interfere with power transmission and would be massively more expensive to fix. the largest single section of their FAQ is dedicated to the effect of an EMP, something only caused by a loving nuclear explosion or a non existent magical sci-fi superweapon. This is the kind of people we are dealing with here, they have given more thought to EMPs than to the abrasive effect of millions of vehicles driving over glass.

here are some words absent from the FAQ: Glare, reflection, abrasion, vandalism, lifecycle analysis (this is like step 1, since if it's an environmental project you need to know whether you're using more energy than you'll produce (hint:yes))

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jul 4, 2014

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Fatkraken posted:

But you stipulated that the research that went into it would be useful. It's more likely that the avenues they are exploring are mostly non starters and wastes of time, leading to dead ends and wasting the time and money of otherwise smart and dedicated people. And that any public awareness will do more harm than good when the whole thing inevitably crashes and burns and everyone writes off solar in general rather than just solar deployed in stupid ways.

Even if it does turn out that the techniques they're using don't work, isn't that useful information by itself?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Crashbee posted:

Even if it does turn out that the techniques they're using don't work, isn't that useful information by itself?

Not if it's common bloody sense. "Putting solar panels places where cars won't keep running over them is better" isn't something that requires millions of dollars to prove. They're not developing new technologies from scratch, there's no grass roots research here, they will be buying off the shelf parts or ordering custom parts made using standard techniques. The new knowledge is "is there a way we can put this already existent stuff together in a way that makes solar roadways make sense, and that is better than rooftop solar". The answer is very simple: no.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jul 4, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy

Would this count as awful since Harmony Gold is widely hated for their lawsuits/partially being the reason for Macross being unlicensed here?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Zeether posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy

Would this count as awful since Harmony Gold is widely hated for their lawsuits/partially being the reason for Macross being unlicensed here?

Don't forget the part where they did some poo poo with BattleTech licensing and are at least partially responsible for MechWarrior 5 getting turned into MWO.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Harmony Gold occasionally comes in handy. It's a rare occasion, this day and age, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crashbee posted:

We already know it doesn't, based on simple statistics and material properties. It's like running an experiment to find out if water is wet.

They can't have the roads put out enough energy in years to cover the power usage of the LED lights running constantly and the heating elements in winter, just for example. Plus the whole assembly needs to be yanked out and replaced every 5 to 10 years on average to cover materials degradation and heating elements and lights burning out and unless the value of electricity rises like 100x over the near future they can't come close to paying for themselves before new ones have to go in.

Nintendo Kid has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Jul 5, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part of the Robotech Kickstarter is the line where they go "Carl Macek totally predicted Kickstarter!"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Morglon posted:

Don't forget the part where they did some poo poo with BattleTech licensing and are at least partially responsible for MechWarrior 5 getting turned into MWO.
I forgot about the fact they sued Hasbro, too.

And then Hasbro came up with the new Jetfire toy that's just enough different from a VF-1 to still look vaguely like one and has the G1 head as a bonus/middle finger to HG.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/853633882/i-got-a-noise-complaint?ref=home_location

"I got a noise complaint for watching the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate on a Sunday. Now I have to pay a ticket.

That's what happened, and I'm trying to get it paid off."

Thanks to Kickstarter I'm starting to hate Chicago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Over $1000 now with 4 weeks to go. :toot:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder how many of these people who have no qualms throwing :10bux: at a guy because he wrote a moderately amusing pitch that entertained them for like two minutes tops also bitch and moan about movies and videogames being too expensive and have AdBlock running because a banner ad is just too much of a sacrifice to support actual writers and artists they like.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's closing in on $1200 and has an update linking to a news article about the kickstarter. [s]If[s/]When this stupid thing ends up on a site like Gawker it's probably going to end up at several thousand dollars.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Didn't Zorak try to set up a Kickstarter for a sandwich or something?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's like a crowdfunded version of selling your soul on ebay only it's actually working, dude's living the dream.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's like a crowdfunded version of selling your soul on ebay only it's actually working, dude's living the dream.

And you don't even have to trade it for Alf pogs

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And of course he begins the slow process of beating it to a pulp by creating "merch" for it (see: any animal-centric Youtube video with more than 1,000,000 views)

quote:

We're making a lot of great progress. I think it's time for us to think about getting hats made. I added a new donor level for people who want hats. For those who are interested the hats could look like this: http://www.zazzle.com/i_love_potato_salad_mesh_hat-148005376484063142

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bvoid posted:

And of course he begins the slow process of beating it to a pulp by creating "merch" for it (see: any animal-centric Youtube video with more than 1,000,000 views)

Over $1500 now. :toot:

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the hat plan is a ruse to squeeze more money out of dumb rubes but the fame has probably gotten to him and he thinks he's onto something with the potato salad malarkey.

Do people still even words like 'rube' and 'malarkey' these days? Dang I'm old.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wifiex#home

Don't you wish you could charge a device full of internet before you left the house, meaning you could your home internet anywhere you want for free?

Well now you can't can!

also something about satellites in broken English, but charge of internet!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The basic concept is kind of interesting, but it could probably be handled with a simple app rather than some huge, expensive device. What I'm talking about is software that you input your favorite websites into and which are automatically updated and stored whenever you hit a Wifi hotspot, so that you can view those sites even when you're somewhere without the internet. But this device is confusing and nonsensical and obviously a scam, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ClownSyndrome posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wifiex#home

Don't you wish you could charge a device full of internet before you left the house, meaning you could your home internet anywhere you want for free?

Well now you can't can!

also something about satellites in broken English, but charge of internet!

I can't parse this. Is it just a USB modem that can cache your youtube videos? They promise to include a SIM card of their own design with it, so I'm completely lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

bvoid posted:

the hat was a reward from the get go. Though I think he should make newspaper hats like in that southpark episode with the free hat.

also, it's over eight thousand dollars now.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jul 7, 2014