Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've just recruited the seventh party member and I'm at Hidden Machina Village. I gather from the wiki that something drastic is going to happen at Mechonis Core - how far away am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How vital are affinities and such in towns anyway? The colony nine music is drilled into my head from so many times stopping and starting the game and it kind of hurts to do again :(

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aston posted:

I've just recruited the seventh party member and I'm at Hidden Machina Village. I gather from the wiki that something drastic is going to happen at Mechonis Core - how far away am I?

You have three full areas (not counting your current area that contains your first spoiler) to proceed through before you get there. The area you mentioned in the second spoiler is basically just a boss fight arena.

Lots of poo poo happens after that boss: even setting aside plot stuff, it's a major cutoff point for when a number of earlier things become unavailable and a number of other endgame/postgame things are first available.

Level-wise, you'll be in the high 60s or maybe hit 70 when all that poo poo goes down. Right now you're probably closer to 55.

Ciaphas posted:

How vital are affinities and such in towns anyway? The colony nine music is drilled into my head from so many times stopping and starting the game and it kind of hurts to do again :(

Town affinity is for two things:
- Quest prerequisites
- NPC trading (which, for the most part, is in turn not super important outside of questing itself, although you can occasionally get an easy source of a nice gem)

So it basically comes down to whether or not you want to do the whole questing thing or not. The vast majority of the quests (outside of their individual plots, effects on NPCs, etc.) just reward you with experience/money and the odd gem or piece of equipment of varying usefulness. Generally about the same tier of stuff you could get by killing local enemies/uniques and crafting your own gems.

A handful of them, however, do have some more unique benefits:
- Two extra skill trees (per character), of which one is available starting about halfway through the game and the other is available only once all the endgame stuff unlocks.
- Two extra Monado arts. Monado Armour is super useful. Monado Eater is okay. Monado Armour is also way easier to do the prep work to unlock the quest.
- Access to extra uniques which are only spawned for that particular quest.
- Access to certain sub-areas which are otherwise locked off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just got Seven.

I made the mistake of putting on the speed equipment. What are you wearing!? :ohdear:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Google Speed V

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I just got Seven.

I made the mistake of putting on the speed equipment. What are you wearing!? :ohdear:

On the plus side she turns into an unstoppable blender of death with the right gems, skills and the ridiculous sword drones.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pollyanna posted:

I just got Seven.

It's frustrating because Speed is pretty much always the best equipment in this case :shepicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does it generally matter what armor classes I put on each character besides thematic/appearance?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's frustrating because Speed is pretty much always the best equipment in this case :shepicide:

Pretty sure the top two Speed armors for that character are identical in Speed boost, though, so you've got your choice in looks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Does it generally matter what armor classes I put on each character besides thematic/appearance?

For most of the game, light armor is generally better because of the agility bonus, since agility is far and away the most important stat in combat. As the game progresses into the endgame, armor class doesn't really matter because you get better agility bonuses from crafting gems and linking skills. My endgame party was decked out in all heavy armor, Melia included.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

For most of the game, light armor is generally better because of the agility bonus, since agility is far and away the most important stat in combat. As the game progresses into the endgame, armor class doesn't really matter because you get better agility bonuses from crafting gems and linking skills. My endgame party was decked out in all heavy armor, Melia included.

The exception to this is Dunban. You want Dunban naked at all times.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, stat-wise he's still better off with armor so he can wear gems, but he can at least fairly effectively get away with being naked.

Basically, light armor is better for agility and ether defense, at the cost of physical defense, heavy armor is the opposite, and medium armour is unsurprisingly a compromise on all fronts (though closer to light than to heavy).

Factor in that ether attacks can't be dodged while physical attacks often can, and that's why light armor is generally recommended for most purposes. As an added bonus, it comes in three styles:

- Something that looks like the character's default outfit, if you want them to look original-ish
- Hilariously ridiculous jungle outfits, which in several cases also change hairstyle
- Swimsuits (unfortunately, the highest defense flavors of these are way below the highest defense flavors of the other two styles)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks for all the info guys, does agility speed up the time in between auto attacks?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Thanks for all the info guys, does agility speed up the time in between auto attacks?

Agility is your Accuracy and Evasion stats rolled into one. If it's high, monsters will miss you while all your attacks hit. If it's low, monsters will ruin your poo poo while all of your attacks whiff. High agility is a must for fighting monsters that are more than a few levels higher than you. Dunban is often the preferred tank because of his amazing agility, but Reyn makes up for it with his Bone Upper/Dive Sobat combo, so long as he hits with it (lowers enemy agility by 25%. Incredibly effective for endgame superbosses).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Vil posted:

Well, stat-wise he's still better off with armor so he can wear gems, but he can at least fairly effectively get away with being naked.

Not if you give him Melia's skill that boosts all stats by a percentage if you have no gems equipped!

This becomes really good at higher levels, when his base stats are high enough for that percentage bonus to be a bigger boost than any gems could give him.

Edit:

.TakaM posted:

You want haste for that. That and double attack are really good if you want to use a character's talent art more often, I remember loading Shulk up with those for a few fights where I wanted Monado arts to be readily available. They're also particularly good on Seven, who gets a few skills that benefit a lot from those stats.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 7, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Vil posted:

Oh, it's not just about the stats :heysexy:
But yes it is also about the stats

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ooh, this is a lot of information that I could use to make my characters better. I more or less approached equipment stuff with "stack as much agility as possible on everyone except Reyn and Melia", and I'm glad that's basically what I'm supposed to do :v: Never understood the whole "stat boost when naked" thing, though.

By the way, is this game at all related to the Xenogears/Xenosaga series? Or is it just a coincidence?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, this is a lot of information that I could use to make my characters better. I more or less approached equipment stuff with "stack as much agility as possible on everyone except Reyn and Melia", and I'm glad that's basically what I'm supposed to do :v: Never understood the whole "stat boost when naked" thing, though.

By the way, is this game at all related to the Xenogears/Xenosaga series? Or is it just a coincidence?

It's only tangentially related, if at all. This game was made by the same Xeno- people and probably contains a few references to those games, but it's not directly related.

In fact, I read somewhere that the Xeno- part of the title was only added as an afterthought as an homage to the other Xeno- games.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Silver Falcon posted:

In fact, I read somewhere that the Xeno- part of the title was only added as an afterthought as an homage to the other Xeno- games.
It was originally just going to be called Monado, until somebody decided it would probably sell better if people thought it was part of the Xeno series.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

vaguely posted:

It was originally just going to be called Monado, until somebody decided it would probably sell better if people thought it was part of the Xeno series.

The title was changed to xenoblade by Nintendo shortly before release, according to them dine to "honor" the creator of the game as he was also the mind behind the other xeno games. Most likely it was really done to boost sales though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Never understood the whole "stat boost when naked" thing, though.

It's basically a gimmick build for Dunban, he gets two skills that give him bonuses when he has no armour equipped. One boosts agility and the other boosts aggro generation. Combine this with the one skill from Melia I mentioned above, and at high levels Dunban becomes an unhittable tanking and damage-dealing beast.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Naked Dunban was too useless against enemies with ether attacks or spike damage for me to consider running him like that towards the end of the game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The coolest armor for Seven is the one that looks like a Cyber Dragon Samurai. Get that one

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

vaguely posted:

Oh, it's not just about the stats :heysexy:
But yes it is also about the stats

Wait he gets stat boosts for it?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait he gets stat boosts for it?
Maybe, who cares
Xenoblade is the opposite of a dress-up game
I was horribly overlevelled for the final boss, so I had everyone in their underwear (except Riki who got to be spikeball), in retrospect it completely ruined the tone of all the cutscenes but gently caress it, it was hilarious

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The tone of the cutscenes gets ruined even if you do wear armor. Dunban wearing an eyepatch he doesn't need, Sharla strutting about in a purple polka dot bikini. Silly business!

The game has a lot going for it in terms of visual concepts, but that quality didn't extend to most of the clothing designs.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Supercar Gautier posted:

The tone of the cutscenes gets ruined even if you do wear armor. Dunban wearing an eyepatch he doesn't need, Sharla strutting about in a purple polka dot bikini. Silly business!

The game has a lot going for it in terms of visual concepts, but that quality didn't extend to most of the clothing designs.
Dunban's eyepatch always made me sad. He already only has one working arm, he doesn't need to lose his depth perception as well :smith:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The no-gem skill is +20%. The naked-agility skill is an extra +30% to agility.

At max level, Dunban's base strength is ~550, base agility is ~150, and his other stats don't really matter. That gets you 110 strength (20%) and 75 agility (50%) respectively. You can get 50 agility and 150 strength at most from gems, so that basically means you're up 25 agility and down 40 strength (or up 10 strength if you'd only have used one gem slot on it).

However: Stat boosts also don't give him things like haste, spike defense, debuff resistance, your choice of weapon gem effects (e.g. night vision, physical defense down, double attack), etc. Or ether defense from the armor, for those undodgable ether attacks.

You do come out slightly ahead on evasion-agility (accuracy-agility, you fall behind compared to using night vision), and maybe on threat (I cbf to crunch the numbers on the 25% threat boost vs. potential damage output) but in return you give up an awful lot of utility options and ability to deal with a variety of enemy attacks.

Like I said. You can get away with it. And of course you get to see Dunban running around in his swim shorts in all the cutscenes (although you can accomplish that too with a variety of swimsuit armor!). For most anything that's not already a pushover though, I wouldn't recommend it for practical purposes.

Absoloote
Jul 3, 2014
Anyone else thinking these characters look like kinda wax-work models of real game characters?

I'm pretty hyped for this game, loved the first one. But I'm a bit worried they've snook in a few too many japanese tropes (racism!!!!!). The game on the Wii felt very accessible and very international in a sense, a bit like the Final Fantasy series.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Absoloote posted:

Anyone else thinking these characters look like kinda wax-work models of real game characters?

I'm pretty hyped for this game, loved the first one. But I'm a bit worried they've snook in a few too many japanese tropes (racism!!!!!). The game on the Wii felt very accessible and very international in a sense, a bit like the Final Fantasy series.

It's just the natural result of changing the art designers. Xenoblade Chronicles had a team of people who designed the characters, whereas with X we get the artist who worked on Xenogears and Xenosaga. It's pretty disappointing. I really liked the art style of Soma Bringer, and Xenoblade Chronicles featured a fantastic evolution of that style and became something charming and unique. But now we're stuck with the creepy guy who designed MOMO.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real question is, how British will XCX turn out to be?

The answer is probably not very, which will be disappointing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The main colony has a big ol' USA flag on it, which is disappointing because it reduces the odds of an excellent British supporting cast. Seriously, it was immediately a disappointment when that thing showed up, even more than the hyper-anime girl.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
There's nothing that says that in the future the UK doesn't invade the US, keeps the US flag and animes the hell out of the country by forcing its anime population to pilot giant robots in memory of eNeo-Tokyo 3, which was invaded by the alien clone of Hitler, which eventually inadvertently imploded via a black hole experiment gone wrong.

shulk what did you do

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Theoretically they could still give anyone not from Earth a British accent. But yeah, the game will probably be localized by NOA and they'll be pulling from their American casting resources.

But the trailer revealed that there are Nopon in the game, and it would be weird and disappointing not to have British-voiced Nopon.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Guys, I think we're misinterpreting things here. I mean, look closely at this screenshot:

This poor girl didn't always look like this. We saw the effect the Monado had on Dunban's arm. What we're seeing here is the tragic, freakish effect of wearing one near your face.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Seriously some stupid boring robot monster that sounds like a newscaster reading off a teleprompter just won't be the same after we've all fought a hulking, drunk British robot that's slowing growing more incoherent and somewhat regretful as he rages out at us.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Chronojam posted:

Seriously some stupid boring robot monster that sounds like a newscaster reading off a teleprompter just won't be the same after we've all fought a hulking, drunk British robot that's slowing growing more incoherent and somewhat regretful as he rages out at us.
STILL 'UNGRYYYYYYY (for UK localization).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suaimhneas posted:

Guys, I think we're misinterpreting things here. I mean, look closely at this screenshot:

This poor girl didn't always look like this. We saw the effect the Monado had on Dunban's arm. What we're seeing here is the tragic, freakish effect of wearing one near your face.

She looks like loving Momo from Xenosaga.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm assuming the Wii U is region locked? if not..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

Theoretically they could still give anyone not from Earth a British accent. But yeah, the game will probably be localized by NOA and they'll be pulling from their American casting resources.

But the trailer revealed that there are Nopon in the game, and it would be weird and disappointing not to have British-voiced Nopon.

I am so willing for ridiculous American accent nopon, you have no idea :colbert: Jersey, Boston, Texas, New Orleans whatever, the more the better. Nopon Breaking Bad will be even more glorious if they talk like prohibition era gangsters.

e: They had better still have nopon drug rings, that was the best thing in a game full of best things by a country mile.

Oh, and does anyone have a good way to hike up affinity other than showering people with gifts and swapping around the party while accepting quests? I like to vary my party for variety's sake and late game gets sort of cumbersome if you don't have good affinity. I'm replaying and am at Makna forest right now, so any tips for mid game and level 80 or so for my post-game file would be much appreciated.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 9, 2014

• Locked thread