Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
gently caress losing gains thanks to football, 10 lbs lost in like 4 months with 1-2 practices and the odd game a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Charlotte Hornets posted:

gently caress losing gains thanks to football, 10 lbs lost in like 4 months with 1-2 practices and the odd game a week.

Eat more, you twink.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would quite like to loose 10lbs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We lost our league final on penalties today, we were up 2-1 with 7 minutes left when they equalized.

Our keeper saved the first, our best penalty taker dragged his wide. I was the fifth taker for my team and scored, our sixth guy had his saved.

I'm loving crushed and am well on my way to being drunk as hell.

This is a league that runs from September to June with a winter break, 11v11.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Shrapnig posted:

We lost our league final on penalties today, we were up 2-1 with 7 minutes left when they equalized.

Our keeper saved the first, our best penalty taker dragged his wide. I was the fifth taker for my team and scored, our sixth guy had his saved.

I'm loving crushed and am well on my way to being drunk as hell.

This is a league that runs from September to June with a winter break, 11v11.

that sucks op, I hope everyone on your team hugged the sixth taker like the chilean team did with their last guy

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I scored a mirror-image Robben goal today cutting in from the left and drilling into the left side, it was glorious. Mostly because I'm very average and I score like 2-3 goals per 8 game indoor season. Then I got off the field and caught the last 15 minutes of Netherlands-Mexico.

Today was a good day

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Backspin backspin backspin.

Yep, I don't try and put any power in it, just a smooth golf-type swing clipping the bottom of the ball. It makes sure you get height and is quite easy to direct.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Today was a good day

Now you know how, you must do it over and over and over again, just like Arjen!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

2 months after my surgery and subsequent infection, my surgical site is starting to close. Hopefully, by next month, it will be completely closed and I can actually start practicing again.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

My feet hurt.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Soulex posted:

2 months after my surgery and subsequent infection, my surgical site is starting to close. Hopefully, by next month, it will be completely closed

Been on this forum too long because I'm used to reading the opposite

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

vaginal culture posted:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having to sit out 5's tonight, I've had a pain in my shin for the past 4 weeks or so, it hurts when I do squats or walk up stairs and it seems to get better through the week until Monday night 5's when it stiffens up again.

Sucks, I've already ate half a pizza and 2 pepperamis, I need to go for a walk or something.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

ephex posted:

I played a total of 150 minutes today and now my body is cramping like mad i need advice i already took magnesium and ate a banana and drank lots of water halp

I dunno dick about soccer but if ur going to be playing for a real long time or just intense match and u have issues w cramps or want to prevent them drink pedialyte. Like the stuff for babys, it has everything your body needs for prep or recovery. We used to have to show the trainer an empty bottle on gamedays to get our Jerseys in hs bc our first game we had a bunch of guys go down w cramps and it never happend again

This is from american football. I still do this if i know ima be playin ball or something in the sun for.a few hours. I highly recommend it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So i posted a real long winded thing about trying to play, and I've been able to play 3 times in the last two weeks. The first game was an 8v8 game i drove by with what i assumed were a bunch of friends playing. They were all Spanish and two girls split on different teams. I walked up asked to play and away we went. we played a 3-3-2 more or less but thats kind of giving it too much credit. I had 8 shots on goal, and got two in. i noticed in this game just being fit and able to moving around is a huge advantage alot of people are really lazy in defence and spacing, but this was also a match between friends that i approached in a clinical fashion attempting to see what i can do. i was a total try hard, but i did fairly well and had some really nice runs both with and without the ball. i initially started at striker and rotated around. I had great like body placement around the goal just standing or being in open areas. I missed 6 totally convertable shots though, so i really need to work on my finishing. The first few times i just got really excited and shanked em, it was better after that. Defensivly these kids were easy to guard against, no one was faster or quicker than me. i had quite a few successful tackles and strips, but i think this was more due to their lack of talent than anything resembling talent on my part. The local <town name> fc is having tryouts in like a month i may go run around at and see if the coach will take me as a practice player. I dont particularly care if im even on the roster, but id just like to run through drills and poo poo with the team and play some organized poo poo.

Fitness wins though. Fitness wins.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

vaginal culture posted:

Ain't this the loving truth

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Awwww yeah. After a few seasons of playing co-ed and indoor casually, I got an email today that I got into a 7-a-side competitive league. Super excited. Scoring all the goals, etc.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So long as you're not playing like the guy in your av, you should be fine

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TasmanianX posted:

Awwww yeah. After a few seasons of playing co-ed and indoor casually, I got an email today that I got into a 7-a-side competitive league. Super excited. Scoring all the goals, etc.

I'll be glad when I move to a place where I can join a regular adult league. At this point in my life it's probably going to need to have an old man division.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Yesterday was my first 7v7 game, at Atlanta Silverbacks park, and I really enjoyed it. I made some positioning mistakes on the shortened field that probably cost us a goal, but had a few assist to make up for it. We still lost 4-3. It was a blast though, and it was fun to play competitively again. Also getting to put my foot through a ball and shoot on a full goal was as good as I remember it. I thought it was insane that people were actually sliding on the artificial turf - it looked painful.

e: also Georgia summers at 90 degrees and 50% humidity is as close as I'm ever going to get to "going to Brazil". Can't even imagine how the national teams are coping in the jungle stadiums.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 3, 2014

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Not entirely sure where to ask this question and this seems to be the only thread with players.

I haven't played football for a long time and I've decided to start playing again locally (ex-pat in germany). I was in Boston for business and stopped by the City Sports Outlet and picked up these shoes which I only just realized are rugby shoes. I know they're a little heavier then regular football shoes but they fit very well and were the only shoes in my size, can I remove the studs and play that way? If not, can I get shorter studs instead?

I'm poking around in the local classifieds and found a pair of shoes that have the short plastic pegs for hard ground, at 10 euros I'll probably pick them up (used for one season).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you'll be able to swap out the studs for shorter ones for sure, but the only way to see if they're any good for playing footy in will be to use them.

Personally I don't mind heavier boots (puma king style) as I was never fast to begin with and the leather provides some protection.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

JFairfax posted:

you'll be able to swap out the studs for shorter ones for sure, but the only way to see if they're any good for playing footy in will be to use them.

Personally I don't mind heavier boots (puma king style) as I was never fast to begin with and the leather provides some protection.

My primary rugby boots for a long time were actually soccer shoes. So yeah they should be fine to at least give it a try.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

JFairfax posted:

That's a relief, I'm looking at them and it looks like I'll need to get a special tool if I don't want to scrape them up with pliers, is there a go to online shop for this kind of stuff? Just so I can figure out what I'll need.

I'm going to start practicing with a co-workers team next week, really wish I bought some trainers to go with these.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You want a 'stud key' - usually you get one with your boots, check the box!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Training-Stud-Key/dp/B003JZ14C6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1404409960&sr=1-1&keywords=stud+key

http://www.amazon.co.uk/spanner-flu...ywords=stud+key

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

That's what I get for buying from the outlet, no key just the shoes :-(

One last noob question, is there a standard size for the studs? I've been looking online and can't find anything for the flanker, looks like they were replaced with a newer model and everything is for those.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pretty sure the thread will be a standard size

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Ah perfect, just one standard size. I'll start looking around. Thanks!

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Been playing soccer for a year and I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to strike with the medial cuneiform/navicular part of the foot without my body going slightly slanted. The tip of my foot hits the ground before i cant make contact, yet people around me swear it's possible to hit it straight on with the laces / foot perpendicular. Is there something I'm just not getting?

And what would you guys recommend for practice/drills for ball control and effective moves to work on? I'm usually relegated to RB or LB because I'm not good or confident in my control to dribble past a defender.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Been playing soccer for a year and I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to strike with the medial cuneiform/navicular part of the foot without my body going slightly slanted. The tip of my foot hits the ground before i cant make contact, yet people around me swear it's possible to hit it straight on with the laces / foot perpendicular. Is there something I'm just not getting?

And what would you guys recommend for practice/drills for ball control and effective moves to work on? I'm usually relegated to RB or LB because I'm not good or confident in my control to dribble past a defender.

I'm kicking a soccer ball with my instep right now and I can't even fathom how my toe would hit the ground first. Turn your kicking leg perpendicular to where you aim, flex your calf so that your toes aren't digging into the ground, and swing your leg at the ball.

Are you trying to hit a ball that's too far forward/backward?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
It shouldn't be too far backward or forward (ball should be right under shooting leg right?). From your comment I think I figured it out though. I've always been extending my calf fully instead of maybe halfway-3/4.

Still, any drills or moves that would be easy to learn and utilize (akin to a basketball crossover)? Don't care about flashy, just effective.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I've recently started playing pickup soccer on the weekends, and I cannot find cleats that work for me. Is there some sort of super special secret tips you guys can tell me for fitting cleats? I've googled, and everyone essentially says your foot should be as snug as can be without hurting. Your big toe should be close to the front, but not touching. The second thing seems like a non-issue. I don't think I could even fully get into a shoe where my big toe touches.

I tried some 8.5 (my normal shoe size) Umbres that were way too small and hurt my feet very badly. It was like 12 days ago, and the deep rear end blister on my heel is still not fully healed. I played with them in wet conditions, can't really pass them off as new and return them. I also played in some size 9 puma 4.2 fg evospeeds. I quickly took them off and played in tennis shoes because I felt a repeat of the umbre incident, except it was because the cleats were too big. Anyway, everyone is kicking the poo poo out of me with their well-fitted cleats and third-world soccer talents, and I really need to find cleats that work for me. I bought a pair of size 8.5 Nike Hypervenom Phade FG today, but I'm not confident about using them. They're looser than the umbres and more snug than the Pumas, but they just don't feel quite right. I tried like 10 different cleats today, in various sizes, none really felt quite right.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You have small feet.

Not sure what to say, leather shoes will give you blisters, get some blister band AIDS and suck it up.

Pumas are small, I am usually a 10.5 but think my pumas are like a 12.

Sometimes you have to endure pain

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

JFairfax posted:

You have small feet.

Not sure what to say, leather shoes will give you blisters, get some blister band AIDS and suck it up.

Sometimes you have to endure pain

I understand that it's common to endure pain for a new pair of cleats (or even regular shoes), but I assume that the pain will not stop if they are misfitted to begin with. I have little doubt that the Umbres and Pumas were bad fits. The umbres had pressure points from all directions and I was swimming in the width of the pumas. I think I was just desperate and wanted traction, so I used them anyway. I haven't tried on a cleat where I had an "a-ha, these are great" moment, and maybe I did and just didn't know how to recognize it. I want to know how to recognize it. I can't afford to keep buying misfitting cleats.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I understand that it's common to endure pain for a new pair of cleats (or even regular shoes), but I assume that the pain will not stop if they are misfitted to begin with. I have little doubt that the Umbres and Pumas were bad fits. The umbres had pressure points from all directions and I was swimming in the width of the pumas. I think I was just desperate and wanted traction, so I used them anyway. I haven't tried on a cleat where I had an "a-ha, these are great" moment, and maybe I did and just didn't know how to recognize it. I want to know how to recognize it. I can't afford to keep buying misfitting cleats.

If they are too tight, they usually loosen up a bit on the sides (my experience has at least been so). One pair of mine has become that large for me that I must use double socks to get the snug feel that is needed for better control and shot. When I first bought it I thought they were too tight and almost went for a 0,5 bigger size.

http://imgur.com/mqm8Tns

This was the first time I wore my current grass/decent artificial ones. Haven't had a scratch after that. My indoor Nikes felt like they were restricting blood flow to my feet for the first 2-3 sessions, after that they fit like they were custom made for me.

Just try the umbres (wtf brand is this anyway?) or go for the double sock with the Pumas. I think when it comes to football boots, you shouldn't expect a comfy sneaker or tennis shoe feel. The soles and sides of your feet will hurt like bitch if you haven't played soccer for a while.

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 6, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

JFairfax posted:

This is sort of true, I am a 10.5 in everything, including my Kings. There is some dodgier stuff in Puma's cleat lineup though.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Charlotte Hornets posted:

If they are too tight, they usually loosen up a bit on the sides (my experience has at least been so). One pair of mine has become that large for me that I must use double socks to get the snug feel that is needed for better control and shot. When I first bought it I thought they were too tight and almost went for a 0,5 bigger size.

http://imgur.com/mqm8Tns

This was the first time I wore my current grass/decent artificial ones. Haven't had a scratch after that. My indoor Nikes felt like they were restricting blood flow to my feet for the first 2-3 sessions, after that they fit like they were custom made for me.

Just try the umbres (wtf brand is this anyway?) or go for the double sock with the Pumas. I think when it comes to football boots, you shouldn't expect a comfy sneaker or tennis shoe feel. The soles and sides of your feet will hurt like bitch if you haven't played soccer for a while.

I meant umbro, not umbre.

I guess I'll try out the Nikes I got. They have that asymmetrical lacing system that makes the fit ultra snug. The upper puts a bit of pressure on the top of my toes, otherwise they are great. I suppose I underestimated the discomfort you were supposed to feel with new cleats.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I meant umbro, not umbre.

I guess I'll try out the Nikes I got. They have that asymmetrical lacing system that makes the fit ultra snug. The upper puts a bit of pressure on the top of my toes, otherwise they are great. I suppose I underestimated the discomfort you were supposed to feel with new cleats.

Wear them around the house for a few hours before you go play in them if you can but yeah, the break in process for football boots usually isn't that quick. It'll take several hours before they're really comfortable.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

The Biggest Jerk posted:

If you are fairly new to ball skills, the best thing to start with is just trying to make things feel natural. So just dribbling round the house etc to try and get used to the idea of moving whilst being in control. Use both feet and keep your head up where possible.
Then when playing against an opponent, there is not much wrong with focusing on getting the ball under control early, then either push it past him and run, or try a one-two with someone to just cut your marker out of it.
You don't really need any 'moves' or tricks until you are playing at a level where games are too tight to get by with technique and pace alone. Although that doesn't mean its not fun to try them....

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I definitely learnt ball control as a kid by running through the house with the ball, nutmegging chairs and aiming for a chipped finish into the laundry basket at the end of the dribble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Won our game yesterday 7-4 , we played out of our minds and started passing really well.

But again the stupid loving girl touch rule ruined the whole day for me. The other team passed it back to the goalie I ran after it stole it from the goalie was standing right in front of an empty net and had to just stare at it because no girl touched the soccer ball yet.... gently caress my life..

We are thinking of moving down to the lowest league because right now we either get blown out or its a close game.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 7, 2014