Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

MickeyFinn posted:

He is also the most famous Mexican of the last ~10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ReindeerF posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/conservatives-purposely-making-cars-spew-black-smoke-2014-7

I'm sure if I were still living back home I would've been way ahead of the curve in picking this up, but I'm OOTL these days. This is exactly the kind of poo poo the people I grew up with were already doing for what they think is legitimate reasons (farm trucks in mud/flood country with stacks), so if you give them a political rationale to take it to 11 it's only going to get funnier.

These people should be dragged from their stupid loving vehicles and shot, but I feel that way about people who ride Harleys too, so I may not be the most fair arbiter. Hey I'm enjoying this lovely say, it sure is nice outs- oh God what is this wall of smog and noise? Oh, it's conservative America in sound and gas format.

a salesperson posted:

If he’s into the environment, if he’s into this or that, we’re not. I hear a lot of that. To get a single stack on my truck—that’s my way of giving them the finger. You want clean air and a tiny carbon footprint? Well, screw you.

I dont even know what I could say

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Weigel's recent article on the practice included a picture of one of the coal rollers who did, in fact, have Truck Nutz on his modded vehicle.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This particular sort of culture war bullshit generally happens because hicks resent other people for not being as unsophisticated as they are. See also: irrational hate for granola, bagels, arugula etc.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Ogmius815 posted:

This particular sort of culture war bullshit generally happens because hicks resent other people for not being as unsophisticated as they are. See also: irrational hate for granola, bagels, arugula etc.

I could have sworn that Time magazine once had sprigs of arugula on their cover, with an accompanying story about the time Obama went to a farm and how that proved he wasn't a Real American or something. When I put it in GIS, though, it's only giving me pictures of food.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Arugula does suck, though, and granola pretty much does too, heh. The rednecks are not wrong about everything!

skaboomizzy posted:

Most states have annual vehicle inspection and registration requirements (including emissions), so it'll be super fun to see what happens when these vehicles are declared to be not road legal.
Guess again, my friend!

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/CostOfInsp.htm

quote:

Counties requiring emission tests:
Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson
So, basically, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin and the poo poo immediately around them. Anywhere else, FREEDOM. One very notable county there that is not included is Brazos, where Texas A&M is, where I'm sure a poo poo-ton of these clowns go to school. Also, all those really crazy people like Louie Gohmert and Steve Stockman and their constituents, among the most moronic in Texas on average, are pretty much in East Texas, which is entirely uncovered by this.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 7, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Rednecks like arugula just fine when you call it rocket instead.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Kilty Monroe posted:

Rednecks like arugula just fine when you call it rocket instead.

I thought only british people called it rocket. Also, I'm pretty sure no one had an opinion on arugula until Obama mentioned it.

I like it. It's nice and assertive and peppery. Although the best part about it is that instead of having a shelf-life of 2-4 days like a lettuce it stays good in the fridge for a week or two like spinach.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

moller posted:

I thought only british people called it rocket.

It's one of those everywhere-but-America things, Australia calls it rocket too. It's loving tasty and is great on burgers or sandwiches.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

moller posted:

I thought only british people called it rocket. Also, I'm pretty sure no one had an opinion on arugula until Obama mentioned it.

I like it. It's nice and assertive and peppery. Although the best part about it is that instead of having a shelf-life of 2-4 days like a lettuce it stays good in the fridge for a week or two like spinach.
I've known about it for years because they love it here in Thailand, where it's called rocket. It's considered very hi-so (chic) to eat, so all the inteerrrrrr (international) restaurants make sure to have a lovely rocket salad with appropriately lovely dressing. It tastes pretty lovely, frankly, though I don't mind spinach leaves, if that helps.

Tony Jowns posted:

It's one of those everywhere-but-America things, Australia calls it rocket too. It's loving tasty and is great on burgers or sandwiches.
Why the rest of the world's burgers suck reason #675, succeeding "A fried egg on top makes the burger," "Pickles? Just use fresh cucumber," "make sure to marinate it in onion dip" and "The patty should be like an inch thick or thicker and the bun should be really tall."

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ogmius815 posted:

I hope you know how hosed up this is

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have to say, I think bagels have become sort of universal in developed Red America, like Starbucks. Go back 15 years and Starbucks was some effete liberal thing that only existed on the coasts and probably required reciting the Little Red Book to order from. Cut to today and every conservative soccer mom and half the urban dads are there regularly without thinking. Bagels seem to have seeped into the mainstream via various chains that have incorporated them and slowly integrated them into Real America's menus. Probably not everywhere, of course.

Arugula, on the other hand, is for limp-wristed, pot-smoking, Bill Ayers-loving, Black Christian Islamicists with deep Kenyan anti-colonial roots.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Arugula, on the other hand, is for limp-wristed, pot-smoking, Bill Ayers-loving, Black Christian Islamicists with deep Kenyan anti-colonial roots.

Dude, dude, it's not like I asked for ~spicy mustard~.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
NIXON: Jesus Christ.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

willus posted:

I hope you know how hosed up this is

Almost as hosed up as modifying your truck to emit more exhaust to stick it to dem' liebruls?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well I was amused by the pettiness of the "ONE LESS PRIUS" bumper sticker on the tricked-out pickup truck down the block from my house, but now that I know about "rolling coal" that seems almost magnanimous.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ogmius815 posted:

Almost as hosed up as modifying your truck to emit more exhaust to stick it to dem' liebruls?

bagels are closer to my heart

bagel is love

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

My money's on if a Republican president gets elected any time soon, they'll get assassinated before their term is out by some rabid tea party wacko.
Ha no, clearly it would be a liberal false flag operation.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

willus posted:

bagels are closer to my heart

bagel is love
Your love is taking a beating. Every food is getting better except for the bagel, in New York City at least. For some reason the proportion of places that make a decent bagel relative to the ones that don't is approaching zero. I'm starting to get used to the bad ones.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

illrepute posted:

So who do you think is actually going to end up being the GOP candidate? I always liked the shrieking white-hot sphere of pure rage.

I have this nagging instinct that it's going to be Rand Paul, if only because the crazy wave seems to be approaching a crest and Cruz is far less likable on a gut level than Paul, plus Paul has the built-in base that is perpetually motivated to work a campaign.

I hope that I'm wrong and it's actually Cruz, because I don't think that simpering dough-goblin can win and I would love to see him humiliated and chased from the national stage.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bagels are a great way to shove 500-600 calories in your mouth.

Little while ago I saw truck nuts consisting of two very large bolt nuts chained to the trailer hitch. It sort of made my day sort of pissed me off. Good job, man with insecurity issues.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
While cruising HuffPo (HuffPo is like Internet comfort food to me) I found this article ranking states on "tightness," where "tightness" is defined as having "many strongly enforced rules and little tolerance for deviance". Any guesses as to which states are tightest and which are loosest?

quote:

The ten tightest states? Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, and North Carolina. The ten loosest, meanwhile, are California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Hawaii, New Hampshire, and Vermont. (Notice a pattern here?)

Harrington and Gelfand measure a state's tightness or looseness based on indicators such as the legality of corporal punishment in schools, the general severity of legal sentences, access to alcohol and availability of civil unions, level of religiosity, and the percent of the population that is foreign. But really, that's just the beginning of their analysis.

The main reason this is interesting to me is that it's a major right-wing narrative that red states represent FREEDOM and LIBERTY, and blue states represent GUBMINT INTERFERENCE and the PC POLICE. And yet every time liberty is actually quantified and measured in any way that makes sense (ie "access to alcohol and availability of civil unions" as opposed to "whether you can shout racial slurs in the street without getting scowled at"), the result is something like this. I know I'm preaching to the choir by posting this in DD at all, hence why it goes in the Chat Thread instead of a Serious Thread.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Germany just arrested an American spy that had infiltrated one of our intelligence agencies.

One politician compared this turn of event to ~Jonathan Pollard~. :negative:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Randler posted:

Germany just arrested an American spy that had infiltrated one of our intelligence agencies.

:eyepop:

Do you have a good link?

e:
ahahaha

telegraph posted:

A suspected double agent under arrest in Germany has been spying for the CIA for two years, German intelligence officials investigating the case now believe. “All the evidence suggests that he was working for the Americans,” an unnamed senior security official has told Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper.

The country's top security official has demanded a full American response to German investigations. "I expect everyone now to assist quickly in clearing up the accusations - and quick and clear statements, from the USA too," Thomas de Maiziere, the Interior minister said.

Germany's Foreign Ministry summoned the America ambassador on Friday but German authorities have confirmed only that a 31-year-old man is under arrest. The first indications that investigators believe a confession by the arrested man is true. If the suspicions against him are confirmed, the case could cause grave damage to US-German relations.

The arrested man, who is severely disabled, worked in the Foreign Relations department of Germany’s BND intelligence service, where he had access to classified documents and information about agents abroad. For the last two years, he has been sending documents to the Americans electronically once a week, according to Bild newspaper. In a damning piece of evidence, investigators said they had found an encrypted communication programme hidden on his computer. The hidden programme was disguised as a weather app, and activated by searching for a weather forecast for New York.

The arrested man was able to carry on most communications electronically, but met with an American contact in Austria on two or three occasions, when he received payments of €25,000 in cash. Other reports said German intelligence asked their American counterparts for help unmasking their own mole – and the Americans remained silent.

The man was caught after an anonymous email he sent offering to sell classified information to the Russians was intercepted.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

That was basically my reaction as well. Not to the "America spies on Germany" part but to the "Germany actually manages to arrest a mole".

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm down from half a pack of cigarettes a day to 3-4 a day. :toot: Progress!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Given the CIA's track record, I half expect that they were emailing this guy's dossier around internally and accidentally CCed Angela Merkel.

Why the gently caress are we spying on Germany anyway?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Not that it makes it right but i'm pretty sure everyone is spying on everyone in some capacity.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mdemone posted:

Given the CIA's track record, I half expect that they were emailing this guy's dossier around internally and accidentally CCed Angela Merkel.

Looking for more USMNT soccer players.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mdemone posted:

Trust, but verify.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

forbidden lesbian posted:

Not that it makes it right but i'm pretty sure everyone is spying on everyone in some capacity.

Honestly, Im mostly surprised that Germany very publicly arrested him. Doing so makes both countries look bad (CIA for spying and BND for having spies) and openly increases tensions, distancing both.

:tinfoil: The articles I read kinda make it sound like Germany actually asked America to come clean, and when the CIA 'remained silent' someone had had enough.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Randler posted:

One politician compared this turn of event to ~Jonathan Pollard~. :negative:

quote:

The man was caught after an anonymous email he sent offering to sell classified information to the Russians was intercepted.

Well yeah, I can see that comparison, then.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:sigh: Good job on the hiring practices CIA. I guess that explains why the Germans went public.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love sketch comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhJ7NmU6lJI

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It all makes sense now. :tinfoil:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Remember when mitt romney didn't know what a donut was what a great campaign that was

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

Awesome :allears: It should probably be posted in the Political Cartoons thread too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phoon posted:

Remember when mitt romney didn't know what a donut was what a great campaign that was

Oh man the '12 GOP primary poo poo was so good.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
http://www.romneytaxplan.com/ I forgot how beautiful this was :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

With the exception of Huntsman, literally everyone in the primary battle was the front runner until some horrible misstep or scandal removed them from contention. Bachmann, Santorum and Herman Cain were all favored to win the Republican nomination at one point.

• Locked thread