Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

We smoked this little feller today, along with a half-dozen briskets, eight pork butts, a dozen racks of ribs and a plethora of chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

We smoked this little feller today, along with a half-dozen briskets, eight pork butts, a dozen racks of ribs and a plethora of chicken.

That is awesome as all hell!

Question- I've got an 8lb butt that's going on hour 16 (in the oven at 230ish for the past 10 hours). It's hanging at 199 currently, and has been going up a degree or two an hour. I know this process takes a while but I've NEVER had anything be this stubborn. Didn't pass the fork test at 196 degrees so I am keeping in there until it does. Taking for loving ever is normal right? I'm just terrified that it's going to come out lovely because it's taken so long.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I had a 8lb butt take 20 hours last weekend, but thats because I thought it would be a good idea to spray/dust it periodically, like I do with ribs (this is a good idea with ribs). Turns out I was elongating the cooking time because of the way the internal temp rises. After reading the amazing ribs article about stalls, it turns out that the stall alleviates when enough of the water inside pulls to the outside and evaporates, so by adding apple cider vinegar to the surface, I was causing the internal water to stay there, and making the stall go on forever. I actually ended up taking it off at 190, because it had been on for so freaking long. It was tender and pulled wonderfully, but much dryer than it normally is, I think its because it stayed on for so long. The point of bringing it to whatever temp you decide is that the connective tissue takes that long to dissolve, I think the internal temperature itself is less important than the amount of time at 225-240, but really there is no way to gauge that outside of the temperature, so it's a bit of a catch 22 I suppose.

To actually answer your question, if you feel like its been on too long, it may have been. Pull it out, slap on a glove and give it a squeeze. If it breaks apart easily with your hand, then you've done a good thing, if not, toss it back in. If anything, breaking it apart will add more surface area, and make it come up to temp faster.

Yesterday we made the wolf pit beef with a quarter of a brisket from the flat, instead of a chuck roast. It was amazing. Tasted more beefy somehow than when I've used a roast.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks! It just hit 203 and passed the fork test about a half hour ago. I'm sure it'll be great no matter what!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're not going to hurt pork butt at 250-275. Bump it up and it'll finish faster.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to be in the US for a couple of months soon, where are the best places for smoked food? All states really since I'll probably only be able to see one or so per state

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If you're going to be in New York, you have to go to Katz Deli for a pastrami on rye. That's a food pilgrimage everyone should make.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Jose posted:

I'm going to be in the US for a couple of months soon, where are the best places for smoked food? All states really since I'll probably only be able to see one or so per state

Are you doing a tour of the US or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

internet celebrity posted:

If you're going to be in New York, you have to go to Katz Deli for a pastrami on rye. That's a food pilgrimage everyone should make.

I find langers in la to be better but everyone should go to a NYC deli

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
I bought some pork back ribs on a whim after I decided I should invite a friend for dinner and didn't want to turn on the oven (hot here) so tried smoking some ribs for the first time.

Pretty happy with the result! I applied a simple dry rub of paprika, cumin, marjoram, indian chili powder, salt, pepper, and turmeric (mostly for the benefits not taste).

This spent about 2.5 hours in the BBQ at around 325. I didn't have the time for a longer smoke but they were done pretty well. Cut very easily and *almost* fall of the bone.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I smoked a chicken in the WSM today and it came out great. I also threw some corn on and it came out fantastic. Next time I will give it a little more time though, this time it got about 10 minutes + a few minutes directly over the coals. Since I was doing chicken, I had the smoker at 350. Anyone ever smoked corn at lower temps? How'd you do it?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
Anyone on here familiar with the Smokenator?

I'd like to start smoking and trying to decide if it's better to use the electric smoker my dad got for Father's Day four years ago and still hasn't taken out of the box, or try this since I'm in the market for a grill and thinking about going back to a Weber.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I'd like to start smoking and trying to decide if it's better to use the electric smoker my dad got for Father's Day four years ago and still hasn't taken out of the box, or try this since I'm in the market for a grill and thinking about going back to a Weber.

You might as well try the electric smoker since it's there! It will probably be easier to use than figuring out a low and slow on a charcoal grill for a first step.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

EngineerJoe posted:

You might as well try the electric smoker since it's there! It will probably be easier to use than figuring out a low and slow on a charcoal grill for a first step.

That was my thought, but I've heard some bad things about electric smokers. I'm sure a lot of it is hyperbole, but thought it was worth a question here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That was my thought, but I've heard some bad things about electric smokers. I'm sure a lot of it is hyperbole, but thought it was worth a question here.

Did anyone ever make one out of a huge terra cotta pot and a hot plate like on Good Eats?

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-take-on-the-Terra-Cotta-smoker/

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dr. Pangloss posted:

What "bad things" have you heard?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Jose posted:

Lockhart, TX. Just south of Austin. Hit up 3 or 4 of the big names to get a sampling of what Central Texas BBQ is.

Kreutz Market, Smittys and Black's are the ones that immediately come to mind. There's a long tradition of BBQ in most of these joints. Just be prepared to stand in line and don't whine when they're out of something or you can't find a fork or knife or your meal is served on butcher paper.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Bone_Enterprise posted:

What "bad things" have you heard?

That they dry out meat and it's hard to get it the right amount of smoke from them.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Did anyone ever make one out of a huge terra cotta pot and a hot plate like on Good Eats?

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-take-on-the-Terra-Cotta-smoker/

I've been using something like this for almost two years now. I've had to replace the hot place a few times but other than that it works really well.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I have one and it works well enough. You have to tend it a lot and it can be difficult to keep the temp low. It's doable but it's by no means the most efficient way of doing things. Let me know if you have any specific questions or want pictures.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I have a WSM (owned for 4 years), and a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (2 years) and love both. The electric seems to pump out BBQ that is 95% as good (no smoke ring), with a drastically reduced amount of effort. The best ribs that I have ever had came out of my MES. Honestly, if I didn't love the WSM as a great excuse to fuss with vents, drink beer and sit outside all day, I would probably chuck it and only use my MES.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That they dry out meat and it's hard to get it the right amount of smoke from them.

I would say the opposite, been using my Masterbuilt Electric 40" for a long rear end time now and it puts out some drat fine results.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Yeah, my electric is pretty good, although no smoke ring is kinda a bummer.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I smoked a chicken in the WSM today and it came out great. I also threw some corn on and it came out fantastic. Next time I will give it a little more time though, this time it got about 10 minutes + a few minutes directly over the coals. Since I was doing chicken, I had the smoker at 350. Anyone ever smoked corn at lower temps? How'd you do it?

The couple of times I've put corn on the smoker, I usually put it on an hour before food is finished. I usually cook it with the husk on and it's usually come out really good.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

I have a WSM (owned for 4 years), and a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (2 years) and love both. The electric seems to pump out BBQ that is 95% as good (no smoke ring), with a drastically reduced amount of effort. The best ribs that I have ever had came out of my MES. Honestly, if I didn't love the WSM as a great excuse to fuss with vents, drink beer and sit outside all day, I would probably chuck it and only use my MES.

Bone_Enterprise posted:

I would say the opposite, been using my Masterbuilt Electric 40" for a long rear end time now and it puts out some drat fine results.

Wow, thanks! I will definitely go for the (free) electric smoker first, then.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zaepho posted:

Lockhart, TX. Just south of Austin. Hit up 3 or 4 of the big names to get a sampling of what Central Texas BBQ is.

Kreutz Market, Smittys and Black's are the ones that immediately come to mind. There's a long tradition of BBQ in most of these joints. Just be prepared to stand in line and don't whine when they're out of something or you can't find a fork or knife or your meal is served on butcher paper.

Oh, hell yes.

And stick to the brisket and hot sausage.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zaepho posted:

If you're willing to stand in line from 8am until they open, go to Franklin's in Austin proper. It is consistently rated as the best brisket on the planet. It was starting to slow down (only an hour wait!) until Anthony Bourdain showed up, and tweeted that it was the best thing that he had eaten in his entire life, and the line has been back to 3+ hours ever since.

It really is something special though.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Jose posted:

Bills BBQ in Wilson, NC. Nothing else going on in or around Wilson, but it is the greatest BBQ I've had in my life. It is the eastern Carolina style sauce, and if you go for the lunch buffet there is always a roast pig chopped up and awaiting your love.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Doom Rooster posted:

If you're willing to stand in line from 8am until they open, go to Franklin's in Austin proper. It is consistently rated as the best brisket on the planet. It was starting to slow down (only an hour wait!) until Anthony Bourdain showed up, and tweeted that it was the best thing that he had eaten in his entire life, and the line has been back to 3+ hours ever since.

It really is something special though.

Seconding this. Franklin's definitely doesn't have the history that the places in Lockhart have, but after visiting those 3 places in Lockhart, I'd much rather have Franklin's or La BBQ in Austin. I haven't tried J Mueller's off E. 6th yet, but I have heard good things as well.

Anyways, here's my brisket from the weekend:

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

Jose posted:

St. Louis, Missouri. Go to Bogart's or Sugarfire

nullpointer
Dec 7, 2002

Once upon a time, I turned gay. The end.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I love mine, have a hard time getting it over 220 (with the water pan full). I've done, pork butt, ribs, whole chickens, tri tip (reverse sear), pastrami and more with it. Kinda wish it didn't work so well so I could justify a WSM. But as it is I can't really justify a stand alone hot smoker with the smokenator doing as well as it does.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
So my friend tried to make a pastrami using the Amazing Ribs recipe:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

Followed everything in the recipe to the letter, but the end product had the texture and color of corned beef rather than pastrami. Worse yet, it was SUPER salty. Like, I took one bite, he took two bites, and we then threw the rest to the dog.

Now the weird thing is I used the exact same recipe, with the exact same size and brand of corned beef the week before, and it turned out great. The only differences were:

1. He desalinated for 2 days, I desalinated for 12 hours
2. He desalinated in a metal pot, I desalinated in a sealed plastic bowl.

Was there something about his metal pot that forced the salt back in or something? It's really bizarre how we could use the same recipe with the same meat and have one perfect result and one inedible one. And he was pretty disappointed considering the long process that pastrami takes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Probably not the best place to ask this, but I looked and didn't see a grilling thread, and I figure that there's going to be some significant overlap between people with smokers and people who know grilling.

Bought a house recently. One of the freebies that came with it is this thing back in the backyard:

What would you folks do with this? Obviously there's no cover so indirect cooking anything is right out, and just as obviously the grates are toast. But there's gotta be something I can do with this. I'm toying with the idea of getting a plate of 3/8" or 1/4" A36 steel to stick on top, I'd have a useful griddle for some things that want blazing hot direct heat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could have someone make up a big stainless steel lid for it - maybe 1 foot high, with a handle and vents on the top.

I had one of those at my old house, give the grates a good scrub and you might even want to try a rust remover. Then just get them hot and season them and you should be good for the year. When I first started using mine the neighbors would all come outside and comment that the previous owners never fired it up in the 5 years they lived there.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Probably not the best place to ask this, but I looked and didn't see a grilling thread, and I figure that there's going to be some significant overlap between people with smokers and people who know grilling.

Bought a house recently. One of the freebies that came with it is this thing back in the backyard:

What would you folks do with this? Obviously there's no cover so indirect cooking anything is right out, and just as obviously the grates are toast. But there's gotta be something I can do with this. I'm toying with the idea of getting a plate of 3/8" or 1/4" A36 steel to stick on top, I'd have a useful griddle for some things that want blazing hot direct heat.

Churrascaria! Mmmm...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are the grates really toast though?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Going to do some spareribs on my WSM for the first time today (not my first time smoking ribs though) and I have a couple questions for you guys who have one:

1. I like the minion method, how much charcoal would you recommend placing in the ring vice hot briquettes on top?
2. Related to the first question, 225-250 or a higher heat range, say 300 to 325? If I were doing baby backs I wouldn't consider the higher heat but I feel like spareribs can stand up to the high heat a little better. On my previous smoker (an electric) I didn't really have the ability to do higher heat cooks.

BTW, for reference this is two slabs of ribs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I did 250-260 for my spare ribs and I loaded up my ring about 2/3rds of the way on my WSM. But I am not one to watch charcoal consumption.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

sellouts posted:

I did 250-260 for my spare ribs and I loaded up my ring about 2/3rds of the way on my WSM. But I am not one to watch charcoal consumption.

Yeah I'm not particularly concerned about using too much as long as I can hit stable temps without having to reload (which I shouldn't have to do anyhow for the time it takes to cook ribs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I usually do 3/4 of a chimney of unlit, bury some smoke wood inside, then 1/2 a chimney of lit on top. It's basically a hybrid of the traditional and minion methods. I've found that the true minion method takes way to long to get the smoker up to temp (because I am impatient), and with proper vent care it will last almost as long, plenty of time for ribs either way, since they're not going for 10+ hours. It does take a little more finesse at the beginning though, as the temp can shoot up pretty fast if you're not vigilant.