Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So I have recently gotten into the pvp in this game and when it isn't a laggy mess it is an absolute blast. Only problem is that three times now after losing an invasion I have returned home, picked up my bloodstain and received a total of zero souls. Losing upwards of 800,000 souls three times in a row is pretty awesome, but I would rather I didn't. Anyone know of this bug happening to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Ashtarath posted:

So I have recently gotten into the pvp in this game and when it isn't a laggy mess it is an absolute blast. Only problem is that three times now after losing an invasion I have returned home, picked up my bloodstain and received a total of zero souls. Losing upwards of 800,000 souls three times in a row is pretty awesome, but I would rather I didn't. Anyone know of this bug happening to them?

Probably you just forgot to pick up your bloodstain sometime previously.

Lost 28 million in DS2. 999,999,999 in DS1 (I killed a hacker). It's actually kinda of liberating, you can stop worrying about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I feel bad because for both Dark Souls games I ended up taking what was apparently the easiest class without realizing it. Both times I played without checking for optimal builds or anything, just picked a build I thought looked interesting and ran with it. In Dark Souls 1 I went with heavy defense and huge strength at the cost of speed and magic, going full Havel, only to later be told that's basically the path of least resistance. So in Dark Souls 2 I decided to change direction completely and become a fat, jolly cleric, only to discover after beating it that lightning is only a step away from turning on godmode.
I don't mean to be such a scrub, it just happens naturally. :(

Play the game how you want. I don't get why people feel bad for using anything, if it's in the game use it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I feel bad because for both Dark Souls games I ended up taking what was apparently the easiest class without realizing it. Both times I played without checking for optimal builds or anything, just picked a build I thought looked interesting and ran with it. In Dark Souls 1 I went with heavy defense and huge strength at the cost of speed and magic, going full Havel, only to later be told that's basically the path of least resistance. So in Dark Souls 2 I decided to change direction completely and become a fat, jolly cleric, only to discover after beating it that lightning is only a step away from turning on godmode.
I don't mean to be such a scrub, it just happens naturally. :(

I'm ashamed to know that every time I play the game online, it's probably connecting me to players like you. Scrubs that played through literally the whole game without arbitrarily handicapping themselves.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iron Keep reminds me of a combination of Sen's and Anor Londo. It's pretty fun so far. Definitely the most challenging area I've been through (although Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak both seemed more difficult than everything else that preceded them).

I'm pretty sick of my Heide's Sword with my faith build. I have around 13 or so DEX and 30 or so STR and near 30 FTH as well as enough titanite to upgrade a new weapon quite a few times... is there anything I can grab at this point in the game that would be a clear upgrade to what I'm currently using?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Iron Keep reminds me of a combination of Sen's and Anor Londo. It's pretty fun so far. Definitely the most challenging area I've been through (although Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak both seemed more difficult than everything else that preceded them).

I'm pretty sick of my Heide's Sword with my faith build. I have around 13 or so DEX and 30 or so STR and near 30 FTH as well as enough titanite to upgrade a new weapon quite a few times... is there anything I can grab at this point in the game that would be a clear upgrade to what I'm currently using?

If you're in Iron Keep, you can find the Dull Ember, which you can take to an NPC in Lost Bastille to infuse weapons. With this and a Boltstone you can make almost any weapon into lightning, which scales with faith.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty close to the endgame now, is there any way to use anything other than the Drangleic Set? I have the stamina to carry it, two weapons, the Drangleic shield, and a catalyst, and still be at 60% load, and any time I try wearing anything else it's basically "somebody farted on you so you lost 70% of your life". I'm not terribly keen on taking lots of chip damage with a non-100% shield either.

At least I've got my DEX high enough that I can try some weapons other than my trusty +3 Mace and +3 Rapier combo; between those I can usually kill just about any trash mobs fairly reliably, and whittle down large groups with Lightning Spears (exception: :argh: Lion Warriors :argh: )

I'm at Lv 105, come to think of it maybe I should raise my Stamina above 8. Because right now attacking and dodging at the same time is a bit of a knife edge and I keep having to back off and whittle enemies down.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 7, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Mr Dog posted:

I'm pretty close to the endgame now, is there any way to use anything other than the Dranglaeic Set? I have the stamina to carry it, two weapons, the Dranglaeic shield, and a catalyst, and still be at 60% load, and any time I try wearing anything else it's basically "somebody farted on you so you lost 70% of your life". I'm not terribly keen on taking lots of chip damage with a non-100% shield either.

At least I've got my DEX high enough that I can try some weapons other than my trusty +3 Mace and +3 Rapier combo; between those I can usually kill just about any trash mobs fairly reliably, and whittle down large groups with Lightning Spears (exception: :argh: Lion Warriors :argh: )

I'm at Lv 105, come to think of it maybe I should raise my Stamina above 8. Because right now attacking and dodging at the same time is a bit of a knife edge and I keep having to back off and whittle enemies down.

Armor doesn't really make that big of a difference statistically or incoming damage wise outside of extremely heavy fully enchanted sets so just pick what you like the look of and don't worry about it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had another thing I was curious about. There's a bunch of stuff I could see being useful to sink levels into, but I know that Agility is important. Right now I'm sitting at 90. Should I make adaptability a priority to get that higher? Or is that about good enough?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You should aim for about 100 agility. That puts dodge roll frames at Dark Souls 1 levels and makes estus chugging a lot faster.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr Dog posted:

I'm pretty close to the endgame now, is there any way to use anything other than the Drangleic Set? I have the stamina to carry it, two weapons, the Drangleic shield, and a catalyst, and still be at 60% load, and any time I try wearing anything else it's basically "somebody farted on you so you lost 70% of your life". I'm not terribly keen on taking lots of chip damage with a non-100% shield either.

The knights in Iron Keep drop armor that I think has better base values than Drangelic, and I think it looks pretty cool too.

By the end of the game I was wearing Veldstadt's chest and legs with the Sinner's Mask, but really it's just fashion. I think the Faraam chest and legs look the best.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Suitaru posted:

If you're in Iron Keep, you can find the Dull Ember, which you can take to an NPC in Lost Bastille to infuse weapons. With this and a Boltstone you can make almost any weapon into lightning, which scales with faith.

Something important to note is that you can infuse weapons that already have elements to give them double elements or more of a single element. A lightning infused heide-knight sword does lots of lightning damage and scales well with faith, which you'll want to pump anyway for better miracles. Basically you wound up with a pretty spectacular str/fth weapon to begin with, so now you're probably stuck with it in terms of finding anything better. In terms of finding anything different, that's another matter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

The knights in Iron Keep drop armor that I think has better base values than Drangelic, and I think it looks pretty cool too.

By the end of the game I was wearing Veldstadt's chest and legs with the Sinner's Mask, but really it's just fashion. I think the Faraam chest and legs look the best.

Nah, Drangleic set has way better physical defense. Alonne set is better for magic though, and it does look cool. Unless you mean the turtle set, which is ridiculously heavy and pretty close defensively at base.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah, Drangleic set has way better physical defense. Alonne set is better for magic though, and it does look cool. Unless you mean the turtle set, which is ridiculously heavy and pretty close defensively at base.

Oh, maybe it was just that Alonne armor was much easier to upgrade, because I remember I was able to get better numbers with it pretty shortly after picking up my first set.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It takes regular titanite whereas the Drangleic set requires twinkling, so yeah you can definitely upgrade the Alonne set quicker and without feeling like you're wasting a limited resource.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Your Computer posted:

1) On the right side of CE, set your 'Scan Type' to Exact Value and 'Value Type' to String (remember to check the [ ] Unicode checkbox)
2) Write in your character name and click New Scan.
3) You should get 3 values if you're on the login screen or ~5 if you're ingame. (I still haven't really been bothered to find out which ones matter, but you can just change them all without problem.)
4) Right click and 'Edit Value'
5) If you want a longer name, you might have to change the 'Type' (lets you choose the length of the name)

It can be a bit finicky, but once you get it to change you can just save & quit and the new name will override the previous one.

It worked but it only changed the name while i was in game, after i quit the game and relogged the new name was gone. Is there a way to make it save in the file?
PS: i changed the name offline and then went online, maybe it gets the name from the server and corrects it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think the Alonne set is the earliest set of heavy armour that you can get which upgrades with regular titanite. I usually try and farm it as soon as I hit Iron Keep with most characters because it looks badass and is fairly effective.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Whix posted:

It worked but it only changed the name while i was in game, after i quit the game and relogged the new name was gone. Is there a way to make it save in the file?
PS: i changed the name offline and then went online, maybe it gets the name from the server and corrects it?

I changed all fields when online with a character, closed CE, quit, and everything stuck OK. (Also for a poison character!)

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Defenders Greatsword. Infuse that baby with lightning and it scales amazingly with faith. At +5 with a decent amount of STR/Faith, your attack rating will be well above 500.

It also buffs itself when you use the 2 handed left trigger to deal even more lightning damage and have a sexy yellow lightning glow.

Here's my faith dude using one:

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Defender's Greatsword is a fantastic faith weapon but he asked for something he can use now. The Defender's Greatsword is made with the penultimate boss soul. You could fight them earlier but you'd still need to at least have the King's Ring, which clearly he doesn't have if he's still in the Iron Keep.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Green Calx posted:

Defenders Greatsword. Infuse that baby with lightning and it scales amazingly with faith. At +5 with a decent amount of STR/Faith, your attack rating will be well above 500.

It also buffs itself when you use the 2 handed left trigger to deal even more lightning damage and have a sexy yellow lightning glow.

Here's my faith dude using one:

Yep, that's my eventual likely path, but I can't get it till I advance past Iron Keep (I think).

I think I might infuse my Heide sword with lightning and see how the damage changes, and if that's not great then I might experiment with my current horde of weapons until I find something I like the moveset of.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

teh_Broseph posted:

I changed all fields when online with a character, closed CE, quit, and everything stuck OK. (Also for a poison character!)

Yep it worked. Thanks!

It seems the key is to be online and another thing i noticed, 2 of the first 3 values when you're at the character list are just for show. I changed all 3 and then logged in with the character and the value switched to the old name, did another scan for the old name, changed everything again and quit & save and it stuck.

Meet Ivy

Whix fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

It takes regular titanite whereas the Drangleic set requires twinkling, so yeah you can definitely upgrade the Alonne set quicker and without feeling like you're wasting a limited resource.

Also regular titanite upgrades to a higher percentage than twinkling. Twinkling only goes up to 150% of base, regular goes up to double.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Haven't played in a few months, has there been any changes to the game? Is santiers, avalyens, dark magic, and havels still the tryhard equipment?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

Haven't played in a few months, has there been any changes to the game? Is santiers, avalyens, dark magic, and havels still the tryhard equipment?

Everything up there except havels got nerfed pretty hard.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Everything up there except havels got nerfed pretty hard.

Well that's good at least, can I ask how?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Any tips on using the Gyrm Great Hammer, a.k.a. the Anvil-on-a-Stick? It's slow as hell and has poo poo for range, but I really love the idea of the weapon. (Plus, pancaking enemies and doing 500 damage in one hit is fun!) Mostly I use ultra greatswords, which have the same speed problems but at least they have the upside of outranging most enemies.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is what's popular now:

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Yep, that's my eventual likely path, but I can't get it till I advance past Iron Keep (I think).

I think I might infuse my Heide sword with lightning and see how the damage changes, and if that's not great then I might experiment with my current horde of weapons until I find something I like the moveset of.

If you just want to change it up a bit for now, I found a morning star infused with lightning to be pretty good, if only for the smash damage it inflicts. You could probably get decent results by lightning infusing a mace as well.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Tetracube posted:

This is what's popular now:

lollin @ this

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Well that's good at least, can I ask how?

You can find the patch notes lying around somewhere, but they basically changed the way Mundane scales with Santiers & Avalyens and overall nerfed Hexes.

That's just meant people have jumped onto the new PvP band wagon, dual Drake Swords which can stunlock you to death :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Also regular titanite upgrades to a higher percentage than twinkling. Twinkling only goes up to 150% of base, regular goes up to double.

This is true. It's also cheaper to upgrade things using regular titanite than anything else. Alonne ends a lot better than Drangleic does when they're both maxed out. But at base stats you can't do much better than Drangleic for defense/weight.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Is there something off with the attack on some weapons? The estoic and the first ultra greatsword notably. Its like I lock on and strafe and strike with other weapons, but if you try and attack with those two while moving you make a wild swing/stab way off to the side depending on how you were moving and camera angle. It can make fighting kind of a bitch, are they like this or is it just me used to large swinging swords?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm like 1500 posts behind by now--do we have anything regarding the DLCs since the first part was (barely) shown in E3?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr Dog posted:

I'm pretty close to the endgame now

At least I've got my DEX high enough that I can try some weapons other than my trusty +3 Mace and +3 Rapier combo
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you should upgrade your weapons some more. At this point you should have multiple sources of unlimited large titanite shards. Or, if you've already got the Giant's Kinship you should go talk to Chancellor Wellager again and he'll give you a weapon that's a better rapier.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's the trigger for the geologist lady starting to sell you infinite titanite (and finite titanite slabs)? I've tripped this trigger somehow, I just don't know exactly how it happened.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lukavi posted:

Is there something off with the attack on some weapons? The estoic and the first ultra greatsword notably. Its like I lock on and strafe and strike with other weapons, but if you try and attack with those two while moving you make a wild swing/stab way off to the side depending on how you were moving and camera angle. It can make fighting kind of a bitch, are they like this or is it just me used to large swinging swords?

With big weapons like ultra greatswords, you'll attack in the direction you're moving even when you're locked on. You either have to let go of the movement keys/thumbstick for a split second, or move slightly in the direction of the enemy. You can still control direction a little bit after the attack starts. I guess it's technically a feature but it's only ever helped me in two places: attacking the giant worm things in Black Gulch while locked on to their head, and hitting the Old Iron King's arm after he does a fist slam attack. Of course, any other weapon could just break the lock-on to attack in those situations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mr Dog posted:

I'm pretty close to the endgame now, is there any way to use anything other than the Drangleic Set?
I'm a big fan of Alva's Armor: Light, easy to get, decent stats and most importantly: looks cool.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

What's the trigger for the geologist lady starting to sell you infinite titanite (and finite titanite slabs)? I've tripped this trigger somehow, I just don't know exactly how it happened.

Beat Iron King, Mirror Knight, and Nashandra for each step of infinite items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh wow, does that mean she'll have limitless Twinkling Titanite eventually? I was under the impression that getting +10 gear was going to be ridiculously grindy (I suppose it still could be if a single twinkling titanite is like 50k a pop)