Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone who plays DND or Pathfinder knows what a wakizashi is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I caught the leaked pilots. Spoiler-free thoughts:

Constantine was pretty good. It is, as others have mentioned, oddly paced. It feels like it's rushing some of the time. Still, no one should expect a pilot to be perfect, and this one captured the essence of the character and his world.

I really enjoyed The Flash. While there's a bit of CW-ness that was annoying, they portray a pretty amusing protagonist. I'm not sure it strictly feels much like comics Barry Allen, but since comics Barry Allen is boring as all hell, the deviations were a good move in my book. They set up some intriguing scenarios in the episode and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

I'll be watching both shows, but of the two, I though The Flash was the better pilot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought the show was called Hellblazer.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You thought wrong.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Gordon Ramsay has the monopoly on Hell-titled shows.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just watched the Flash pilot. Am I wrong but did they Basically say they're doing Crisis on Infinite loving Earth? With the red skies, and flash going bye bye?

I would be lying if I said I didn't have wood.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 6, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They had to move Daredevil to Washington Heights because Ramsey has tv rights to the words Hells Kitchen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

They had to move Daredevil to Washington Heights because Ramsey has tv rights to the words Hells Kitchen.

I'll be loving honest, I cannot tell if you are actually telling the truth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'll be loving honest, I cannot tell if you are actually telling the truth.

It's depressing that it does sound like something that could really happen.

Hipster Daredevil, with a scarf and wallet chain.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just watched the Flash pilot. Am I wrong but did they Basically say they're doing Crisis on Infinite loving Earth? With the red skies, and flash going bye bye?

I would be lying if I said I didn't have wood.

In 2024. I dunno if we'll actually see it in the show, except like in the very last episode the way Clark only gets the cape in the last ep of Smallville.

Also: WayneTech/Queen Inc merger.

e: sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 6, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

jng2058 posted:

In 2024. I dunno if we'll actually see it in the show, except like in the very last episode the way Clark only gets the cape in the last ep of Smallville.

Also: WayeTech/Queen Inc merger.

:meh: about the second one.

The first one still gets me happy, even if it's like you think it will be

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

twistedmentat posted:

It's depressing that it does sound like something that could really happen.

Hipster Daredevil, with a scarf and wallet chain.

Does all of Marvel NYC just have one big mutual agreement that if poo poo were to go down in Williamsburg, they'll just politely ignore it and let it burn to the ground?

If no, then why not.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does all of Marvel NYC just have one big mutual agreement that if poo poo were to go down in Williamsburg, they'll just politely ignore it and let it burn to the ground?

If no, then why not.

Is Hawkeye the only one based out of Brooklyn? Or was? I haven't read his book outside of the first volume because I was waiting for the second. There's going to be another right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure Tony and at least a few others own over priced lofts and such in Williamsburg.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

If no, then why not.
Williamsburg is a fine place if you can ignore literally everyone who lives in Williamsburg.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure Tony and at least a few others own over priced lofts and such in Williamsburg.

Iron-man: Alright Avengers, I've drawn up a strategy to deal with this incoming alien invasion of New York.
I'm going to station Hyperion, Thor and Starbrand to guard Williamsburg.
Black Widow, Smasher and Wasp will guard my bedroom, I mean Avengers tower. On an unrelated note, I'll also be station at Avengers Tower to co-ordinate the attack.
Captain America and Bruce Banner, you are being sent on daylight, frontal assault on the alien mothership. With a bit of luck you will distract the aliens for a split second for no real gain.
And Hawkeye, you have Harlem. And due to budget cutbacks, instead of arrows, you will just have a set of oversized Hulk foam hands...which you will have to pay me back for.

All right? Go team!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Question IRL posted:

Iron-man: Alright Avengers, I've drawn up a strategy to deal with this incoming alien invasion of New York.
I'm going to station Hyperion, Thor and Starbrand to guard Williamsburg.
Black Widow, Smasher and Wasp will guard my bedroom, I mean Avengers tower. On an unrelated note, I'll also be station at Avengers Tower to co-ordinate the attack.
Captain America and Bruce Banner, you are being sent on daylight, frontal assault on the alien mothership. With a bit of luck you will distract the aliens for a split second for no real gain.
And Hawkeye, you have Harlem. And due to budget cutbacks, instead of arrows, you will just have a set of oversized Hulk foam hands...which you will have to pay me back for.

All right? Go team!

Hawkeye : awe Man. Kate stole all my arrows and my dog!

Are Jess and Carol assigned to wash the Quinjet so it shines to deflect lasers?

I really hope the Netflix shows do well, so they can make more. I'd love to see other heroes that would work on that level like Moon Knight.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

The Question IRL posted:

That doesn't make any sense. <checks Wikipedia>

Oh, there's a female Smasher now. Carry on.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

They just announced that Brandon Routh will be playing Ray Palmer/Atom on Season 3 of Arrow. He'll be in 14 episodes and the new owner of Queen Consolidated

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I have a hard time picturing the Atom working on show like Arrow, especially without a huge CGI budget.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

I have a hard time picturing the Atom working on show like Arrow, especially without a huge CGI budget.

The Atom has the easiest powerset to depict if you never actually see anything from his POV.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Last time I saw Atom and Arrow together they killed Darkseid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

They just announced that Brandon Routh will be playing Ray Palmer/Atom on Season 3 of Arrow. He'll be in 14 episodes and the new owner of Queen Consolidated

Kind of weird they went with Ray Palmer instead of Ted Kord.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

muscles like this? posted:

I think they should have just made Brandon Routh Superman again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I suspect they were but then WB decided that they needed the character for their movie strategy going forward.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't want Ted Kord without Booster anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DynamicSloth posted:

Just do bad Honey I Shrunk the Kids effects.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't want Ted Kord without Booster anyway.

Booster can't be that hard to add. Just make him Ted's smarmy agent.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
They're saving Kord for the DCU films, for sure...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They'll probably save that for Justice League 2.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

There was never a Ted. Only Jaime, forever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

There was never a Ted. Only Jaime, forever

They've name dropped Ted a ton of times as another industrialist in a nearby city.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They've name dropped Ted a ton of times as another industrialist in a nearby city.

Yeah that is what makes me think that they were planting the seeds for Ted before WB blocked them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guggenheim said they asked DC for a guy and they said no, maybe it was him.

I wonder if Routh feels bitter when he looks at Cavill and thinks "that could've been me if I was cast five years later and now he's set for life and I'm on the WB".

Hell yes
http://m.imgur.com/FRC72yW

zoux fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 8, 2014

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Flash seems good, for now.

But:

"...it's lightyears ahead of anything they're doing at CERN"
":stare: speak English"

...coming from someone apparently working on a dissertation? :psyduck:

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

spikenigma posted:

Flash seems good, for now.

I take that back at 28 mins in.

* Multiple witnesses from multiple bank heists all see and report inside hurricanes*
* YOU see cell phone footage of inside hurricanes"
* Your competant CSI guy + surrogate son reports seeing a guy who can control the weather*

:geno: "There is no controlling the weather, Barry."

After 2 eps, I'm out. The dad bit at the end bought those two episodes.

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 8, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'll get over it, but I'm really bummed about the new character being Ray Palmer and not Ted Kord, my all-time favorite superhero.

I first read the Ted Kord rumor three weeks ago, and that was the final impetus I needed to binge-watch the first two seasons of Arrow over the last three weeks. I loved it. I was skeptical as all hell for all the obvious reasons (CW show, too much emphasis on the abs, attractive but generic cast, Smallville 2.0), but it was incredible -- a real labor of love, by fans, for fans.

I thought Ted was coming due to the repeated mentions of Kord Industries, and I could have sworn they mentioned "a fundraiser for Ted Kord" at one point as well. Plus, with the rumor that the new character would be a love interest for Felicity, that made sense too. Felicity was always like Ollie's Oracle, and in Chuck Dixon's Birds of Prey comics, there was a great, long-standing flirtation between Oracle and Ted.

And finally, even though this was a long shot, I was hoping for Donald Glover to get cast as Ted, for multiple reasons. I thought it would be cool to get another actor of color to increase the diversity of the cast, especially a character who was a genius, who ran his own company, and who was a good, hilarious, likeable dude. Plus there was a minor movement a few years ago where fans wanted Glover to play Spider-Man, and Blue Beetle was created by one of Spider-Man's creators four years later, and he's another wisecracking, scientific genius, acrobatic, arthropod-themed hero.

But now we have Ray Palmer instead. I'm sure the Arrow showrunners know what they're doing, but I'll be interested to see if we learn from the SDCC Arrow panel if Ted really was in the running and DC vetoed him somehow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I know. I'm just casting my typical gloom that if DC vetoed Ted, it's as likely because they have No plans for the character as Big plans for him.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wasn't the Ted Kord they talk about on Arrow as old as Ollie's dad? Or was that just something I assumed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Donald Glover hasn't realised he's a bad rapper and his career is a gimmick yet so I doubt he's auditioning for TV.

Kingtheninja posted:

Wasn't the Ted Kord they talk about on Arrow as old as Ollie's dad? Or was that just something I assumed?

It's implied he's middle aged, yeah.