Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
And talk to a lawyer or your union. Hostile work environment (or whatever your equivalent is) all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

Apparently they are logging "mistakes" and "work refusals" I am making, like today they wrote down that I didn't answer a phone within the first ten seconds of it ringing. Nvm the fact that its even a coworkers phone.

How do 3 people just up and decide one day that they are going to keep track of your mistakes collectively? Just seems like there is more to the story. Would you describe yourself as "hart to work with"? Do you these same people get angry with you on a regular basis? Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sickening posted:

How do 3 people just up and decide one day that they are going to keep track of your mistakes collectively? Just seems like there is more to the story. Would you describe yourself as "hart to work with"? Do you these same people get angry with you on a regular basis? Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?

You are an rear end in a top hat and you shouldnt be allowed in here to harass people who are already at a low or highpoint

E:
Wait, I meant thank you for helping me see the error in my ways, turns out it was all my fault and now I feel way better about both myself and this situation.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 7, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I think he was asking, not accusing. As in, "Have you legitimately and dispassionately evaluated both your performance, and interactions with your co-workers?" If the answer is "yes" and, as part of your analysis, determined that your co-workers were the type of people to pull the wings off of flies as children, then :yotj:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It seems most posts he makes in here are basically kicking a dead horse.

To me anyway

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

You are an rear end in a top hat and you shouldnt be allowed in here to harass people who are already at a low or highpoint

E:
Wait, I meant thank you for helping me see the error in my ways, turns out it was all my fault and now I feel way better about both myself and this situation.
It doesn't mean its your fault but you should probably take some time to understand what is happening and why. It seems that your coworkers and management have decided that you are not a team player. That doesn't make it true, but why might they have developed this impression? This didn't come out of nowhere unless you're being willfully ignorant or are on the autism spectrum. It's okay to vent and stuff but hopefully you understand how saying "my coworkers have formed a conspiracy against me!" makes you seem like either crazy or an rear end in a top hat.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Alereon posted:

It doesn't mean its your fault but you should probably take some time to understand what is happening and why. It seems that your coworkers and management have decided that you are not a team player. That doesn't make it true, but why might they have developed this impression? This didn't come out of nowhere unless you're being willfully ignorant or are on the autism spectrum. It's okay to vent and stuff but hopefully you understand how saying "my coworkers have formed a conspiracy against me!" makes you seem like either crazy or an rear end in a top hat.

Its not management, my boss is a senior who took on some administrative work to keep a dedicated manager out of the department.
This didnt exactly come out of the blue, the whole department has some hostility going on originating from a few certain people. One of my coworkers who simply doesnt like me has been feeding my boss bullshit for a while, and since my boss avoids contact with pretty much everyone, it seems impossible to change his impression. This coworker is part of his inner circle I guess.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The ITlluminati!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

E:

Well, that escalated quickly. Are you this snappy with everyone else at your workplace? Wouldn't it be more likely that you are having some social issues and not some conspiracy?

SEKCobra posted:

It seems most posts he makes in here are basically kicking a dead horse.

To me anyway

Well, its nice to know I at least have one fan. :allears:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

Well, that escalated quickly. Are you this snappy with everyone else at your workplace? Wouldn't it be more likely that you are having some social issues and not some conspiracy?

a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
I guess I shouldn't have used such a loaded term.
Also, so much for not wanting to be accusative, eh?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
poo poo pissing me off, for the last couple weeks... I have been working on a firewall/vpn setup for a friends business and I have the firewall (Cisco ASA5505) in place and everything is good except when I VPN into it I cannot get an RDP connection to work to connect to his server. Everything I have read makes it seem like I have all the right ACLs and stuff in place and that it should work but something is still wrong. Of course I can only work on it after hours once or twice a week so it has been slow going. I can RDP into the server from his desktop so i know that part is turned on. It just wont work through the VPN. Of course I don't deal with firewalls enough to know all the little things and trying to read a Cisco page for anything is like stabbing yourself in the eye.

He really doesn't need the RDP part just needs a remote office to be able to connect tot eh VPN and access a file share on the server. I want the RDP to work so I can connect remotely to fix things if needed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Previously it was just in doubt and I was asking trying to help you. Saying that yes, at this point I am sure you are a full blow aspie who has pissed off his coworkers and they want him gone. Sorry for your situation.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Its not management, my boss is a senior who took on some administrative work to keep a dedicated manager out of the department.

So he's a lovely leader if he takes on leadership but isn't actually leading. It sounds like that's not the only issue in your workplace though (hint it's probably you).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SEKCobra posted:

You know at first I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you are so defensive and hostile that i'm starting to think you really are the problem. Its very rare one person is a twat for no reason, its extremely rare that three of them are doing that.

----------------------------------------------------------

You should definitely do what's below this post, by the way. If you don't you might as well give up now.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 7, 2014

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

SEKCobra posted:

I'm just throwing this out there, but have you tried to at least talk to your boss? Maybe ask him if there's something you need to be doing to improve your performance? If he says that there's nothing wrong and you're doing great then tell him you'd like that in writing for your personal improvement plan, plus some suggestions on what things he'd like you to begin learning/taking the lead on. Those two things will completely and utterly crush any type of conspiracy in its' tracks and demonstrate you are proactive about advancing your skills.

If someone is going to fire you for not answering a co-workers phone then it's just as well that you leave.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dogstile posted:

You know at first I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you are so defensive and hostile that i'm starting to think you really are the problem. Its very rare one person is a twat for no reason, its extremely rare that three of them are doing that.

Oh poo poo, its a forum conspiracy! (sorry cobra :( )

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

Oh poo poo, its a forum conspiracy! (sorry cobra :( )

It's ok, I realize that with just the context given I probably come off pretty stupid, I'll just take Daylen's advice and make a greater effort at talking to my boss again. It just didn't yield any results the first time and I'm always afraid it might end up making things worse.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

It's ok, I realize that with just the context given I probably come off pretty stupid, I'll just take Daylen's advice and make a greater effort at talking to my boss again. It just didn't yield any results the first time and I'm always afraid it might end up making things worse.
It seems like they want to fire you now so the worst outcome would be that you have a meeting and determine that they just don't like you and you decide to quit. Really it seems like the helpful key would be to determine what is causing the difference in how they view your performance versus how you view your performance. What is it that you are doing that they interpret as not being a team player, and why, from your perspective, are you doing that? Maybe they feel like you're not doing your fair share because of a disconnect in priorities, or because what you're doing isn't as visible.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Alereon posted:

It seems like they want to fire you now so the worst outcome would be that you have a meeting and determine that they just don't like you and you decide to quit. Really it seems like the helpful key would be to determine what is causing the difference in how they view your performance versus how you view your performance. What is it that you are doing that they interpret as not being a team player, and why, from your perspective, are you doing that? Maybe they feel like you're not doing your fair share because of a disconnect in priorities, or because what you're doing isn't as visible.

I am the only one in my group who was hired with a programming background (to also do work of that kind, along the same tasks as theirs) and scripting to make their lives easier is only appreciated for about 5 minutes. Obviously any work done on your workstation isnt work in their minds, Im obviously just goofing around. I have no idea how to change this tho.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
poo poo pissing me off: New lines and lack of verbose output.

Feel like an idiot for wasting so much time trying to figure out why I couldn't add a single user from a file in FreeBSD. The adduser command was running without spitting out any output or adding the user EXCEPT after I would open the file being used with a CLI editor and just saving it, which of course added a blank second line to the file which was required for adduser to actually parse the file.

Why wasn't there a "Nothing to add" error when running adduser on the file without the new line!

edit: Woops, missed parts of that while editing originally.

A c E fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 7, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I am the only one in my group who was hired with a programming background (to also do work of that kind, along the same tasks as theirs) and scripting to make their lives easier is only appreciated for about 5 minutes. Obviously any work done on your workstation isnt work in their minds, Im obviously just goofing around. I have no idea how to change this tho.

"Hello,

Recently it has come to my attention that yourself and your team are monitoring my work-flow. I'm sorry if I am not satisfying your expectations at the moment, but I will take any steps necessary to resolve this, and clear up any misunderstandings if they exist. Can I meet with you on X to discuss what you think is required from me?"

Or whatever. Get the ball rolling, on paper, to prove that you want to improve. It doens't matter on whether their claims against you or true or not, sending your boss an email will show you're trying to do *something*.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"Hello,

Recently it has come to my attention that yourself and your team are monitoring my work-flow. I'm sorry if I am not satisfying your expectations at the moment, but I will take any steps necessary to resolve this, and clear up any misunderstandings if they exist. Can I meet with you on X to discuss what you think is required from me?"

Or whatever. Get the ball rolling, on paper, to prove that you want to improve. It doens't matter on whether their claims against you or true or not, sending your boss an email will show you're trying to do *something*.

Would you agree that I should not CC HR on this yet?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

:shrug: I can't comment due to not knowing the ins and outs of your office. Are HR evil? Is your boss an over-reactionary dick? It's up to you.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

:shrug: I can't comment due to not knowing the ins and outs of your office. Are HR evil? Is your boss an over-reactionary dick? It's up to you.

I'd say my HR rep would move mountains, but my boss would definitely hate it.
I think I'll do it without any CC for now and if nothing comes of it, try again with CC to his boss and HR.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

I'd suggest a face-to-face meeting instead of hiding behind email.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

luminalflux posted:

That's great and all but does nothing for CYA.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

luminalflux posted:

The email contains a meeting setup, which seems like a good idea to me.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Wozbo posted:

That's great and all but does nothing for CYA.
You schedule the meeting via e-mail and send out a summary afterwards of what was discussed and the action items.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Regardless of how that goes I'd be looking for another job if I were you, much easier to find one when you already have one and you don't have to deal with a possible missing/bad reference.

Since you're in Austria i'm assuming they have to go through certain procedures before firing you, they're probably keeping a record of mistakes however trivial in order to justify that. In the US you can fire someone with no notice or reason so it's a little different here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sanchez posted:

Regardless of how that goes I'd be looking for another job if I were you, much easier to find one when you already have one and you don't have to deal with a possible missing/bad reference.

Since you're in Austria i'm assuming they have to go through certain procedures before firing you, they're probably keeping a record of mistakes however trivial in order to justify that. In the US you can fire someone with no notice or reason so it's a little different here.

Im on a time limited contract, I'm aiming to still do the 1+a bit year, I'm not that worried about being fired, because the only way I could get terminated is if I either burn the place down or blatantly refuse to do any work. (Not because Im important, but simply legal reasons)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I get regular calls from toner scammers and it brightens my day.

:v:: Hi, this is Brett calling about the copier. Can I get the model number real quick?
:black101:: Don't even try that with me. Go bother someone else.
:v:: Uhh.... <click>

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cool I have three critical events happening tomorrow at the same time with three different groups of senior leadership in three geographically distinct places. Understaffing is awesome!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
At some point you will hear a platitude about "managing your time" or "just need to make it work".

e: My own thing - I understand why, but really why, can't I just tell someone that they're lying? Why do I have to act like what they say might be a possibility? On the internet I can poo poo stomp all over stupidity, but in the office I have to be delicate. Someone just claimed to have spent $30 on lunch. I have to act like "ooh that's an expensive lunch!", but really I just want to inform them that "no, you didn't", because, you know, that's not what your food cost. I realize I am just being petty and pedantic, but isn't that how it goes, once you start to dislike a coworker then everything they do ruins your life.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 7, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SEKCobra posted:

So today I learned that there literally is a conspiracy against me by my Boss and at least two coworkers. I can't even express how I feel at this point.

If you play the game of IT, you live or you YOTJ

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

At some point you will hear a platitude about "managing your time" or "just need to make it work".

"I pay you for solutions, not problems!"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Dell contractors...

Had a Optiplex at one of our locations that would randomly hard lock and then fail to power back on without lots of loving around or resetting the CMOS. Dell ProSupport immediately said it was a bad motherboard as they have seen the very same thing a few times with that particular model. Tech was dispatched to replace motherboard.

The next day, contracted tech arrives with motherboard in-hand. Instead of replacing the motherboard as they where dispatched to do, the guy changes a setting in the BIOS, reboots it twice, and then leaves. Tech told a store employee that replacing the motherboard wasn't necessary. He was there maybe 5 minutes. Machine locks up just minutes after he walks out the door.

Ugh...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well, I did. I reassigned one of them to someone else (what makes that an understaffing issue is that his primary responsibilities will go undone while he's doing that, because this takes precedence), and I pushed another back, and I'm going to the third. The people who were pushed back weren't happy, but it's the best I can do because I can't be in both places at once.

If not for the third thing this would be a blessing in disguise. I have a late night tonight (for fun) and a late night tomorrow (for work) and was not looking forward to being at work extremely early tomorrow. As it is it will likely only be a 13 or 14 hour day tomorrow instead of longer.

Edit: if this shuffling of people and events weren't possible my response would have to be requesting clarification on order of precedence from up the chain and telling the others they're out of luck. Not much else to be done, we are still running extremely shorthanded and I do not expect this to change in the foreseeable future.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

guppy posted:

Cool I have three critical events happening tomorrow at the same time with three different groups of senior leadership in three geographically distinct places. Understaffing is awesome!

Come on now, you're the EX-pert!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: My own thing - I understand why, but really why, can't I just tell someone that they're lying? Why do I have to act like what they say might be a possibility? On the internet I can poo poo stomp all over stupidity, but in the office I have to be delicate. Someone just claimed to have spent $30 on lunch. I have to act like "ooh that's an expensive lunch!", but really I just want to inform them that "no, you didn't", because, you know, that's not what your food cost. I realize I am just being petty and pedantic, but isn't that how it goes, once you start to dislike a coworker then everything they do ruins your life.
Why do you care about the accuracy of the price they claimed to pay for lunch? Why did they tell you how much they spent on lunch? Unless they're filing a false expense report for reimbursement it sounds like they were just trying to make conversation and it doesn't really hurt to indulge them.

I would recommend the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to everyone. The 1936 version is available for free online, if you aren't able to tell which parts are outdated (particularly those about gender roles in the workplace), you should probably just buy the updated version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

An acceptable remote branch installation with limited funds, according to my colleagues:

A remote branch installation done by myself with limited funds: