Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
like so:

edit:
twice in a row.. how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There were riders slapping phones away again today i'm loving that.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

It's not super clear to me from the description - does NBC's app only stream live video or can I go back and watch previous days' stages?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What happened to Greipel? He get held up by that crash near the end?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

On the subject of Greipel....

This was from 2012 Olympics, I think, so I suppose most of you cycling types already saw it but still....:barf:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

dema posted:

Seems so. Got an alert this morning when I turned it on that they'd fixed some issues with airplay.

Good to know. Airplay compatibility is the make or break feature for me, and half the reviews of the app said it worked totally fine and the other half were outraged that it didn't. If they at least want to make it work that's good enough for me I guess.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 2

On-board camera: Team ORICA – GREEN EDGE / Team LAMPRE MERIDA - Stage 2 (York > Sheffield)

stage 3

EN - The Flamme rouge - The last kilometre - Stage 3 (Cambridge > Londres)
EN - Summary - Stage 3 (Cambridge > Londres)

Chris Froome, Team Sky and Jaguar: 'Cycling Under The Sea'
Rui Costa convidou, José Mourinho foi ao Tour de France

F&A Schleck, Rolland, Navarro, Slagter, Scarponi lost 1'01 today.

Stage 4 Le Touquet-Paris-Plage / Lille Métropole 163.5KM

Stage 4: by Cedric Vasseur (former rider) + Gilles Maignan (Designer of stage 4 and former pro rider)

Mountain passes & hills

Km 34.0 - Côte de Campagnette 1 km at 6.5% - category 4
Km 117.5 - Mont Noir 1.3 km at 5.7% - category 4

The Chairlift of Mont Noir, the reward at the top is beer.

Intermediate Sprint

Finish

Weather

Météo France (Wind 18km/h)

Stage 4 Winner odds

Time schedule

Start : 13h35
Finish : 17h19 (48km/h) 17h28 (46km/h) 17h38 (44km/h) CET

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Find a gif of the Garmin rider just slapping peoples phones out their hands as he was going up Holme Moss.

first a better version of my lovely .gif

and now the one you asked for:

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

IndustrialApe posted:

first a better version of my lovely .gif

and now the one you asked for:

yesssss excellent

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love it. Anything coming into his face and its on the floor.

My mate was telling me that the crowds were booting the phones around to gently caress them up even more too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
While I have little sympathy for the people who had their phones or themselves knocked to the ground, has there ever been any sort of attempt to complain, sue, attack on social media or anything like that from people who've been hurt or whatever? They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

krushgroove posted:

While I have little sympathy for the people who had their phones or themselves knocked to the ground, has there ever been any sort of attempt to complain, sue, attack on social media or anything like that from people who've been hurt or whatever? They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

"I stepped out into the road where I knew a race was taking place which had put out several warnings in the media about how dangerous that was and now I would like compensation"

Not sure it'd fly

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

A bit of a flurry on twitter earlier about someone complaining to the police who were marshalling the sidelines about his phone being knocked out of his hand, and the copper just telling him that it was his own fault for putting it in the path of the riders.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I couldn't watch the first three stages and it seems like I actually missed quite a bit. Well done, England. Also well done Mr. Nice, not only is the OP phenomenal but your catch-up posts make it really easy to, uh, catch up.

Couple of days late, but during the first stage people itt were talking about Merckx winning all three major classifications in 1969. Anyone know how much the stage setup factored into that? I'm asking because at this year's Giro they had an intermediate sprint IIRC right after the descent from the Stelvio Pass, meaning that the sprint points were effectively wasted. If you pulled a lot of nonsense like that you could get probably get someone in contention for points and king of the mountains even today.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

That's ace.

His helmet makes him look like he's working security detail in a 60's Sci-Fi serial.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

It's not super clear to me from the description - does NBC's app only stream live video or can I go back and watch previous days' stages?

Just checked, can go back and watch any of the previous stages.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do you have to pay for nbc tour tracker?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Do you have to pay for nbc tour tracker?

Yeah, 14 bucks. Well worth it, though, it's ad-free, and the quality is pretty good. You do have to put up with Phil and friends, but it's an app, not magic, unfortunately.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I pay for the app can I also stream it on my computer on the NBC website?

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

I like how the first guy who gets his phone slapped just stands there like he can't believe it and then the flag he's holding goes limp.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

krushgroove posted:

They guy who was knocked down today was laying on the ground for a while, and he seemed old.

That poo poo was nothing, van Summeren put an 80+ y.o. woman in a coma at the Tour of Flanders. Its doubly nothing coz she was standing in the middle of the road. Some cycling fans are like 80's rally fans, only loving dumber.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Some cycling fans are like 80's rally fans, only loving dumber.

You really need to see incar of Walter Rohl in his Group B Audi S1 because that is just soooooo wrong. Cycling fans have NOTHING on the stupidity/bravery of rally fans (Me included)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cat Terrist posted:

You really need to see incar of Walter Rohl in his Group B Audi S1 because that is just soooooo wrong. Cycling fans have NOTHING on the stupidity/bravery of rally fans (Me included)

Someone post the picture of the group of photographers all lying down with their heads and cameras on the track as a group B car is sliding round a corner 3 inches from them.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone know if team support vehicles were caught up in the tunnel delays?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The GCN preview of stage 5 is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrCT_-6SGNc

Having never watched Paris-Roubaix, how does it work with team support vehicles down these single-lane cobbled paths? If you get a puncture halfway through a cobbled section are you just hosed?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

The GCN preview of stage 5 is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrCT_-6SGNc

Having never watched Paris-Roubaix, how does it work with team support vehicles down these single-lane cobbled paths? If you get a puncture halfway through a cobbled section are you just hosed?

You are. You have to wait until the vehicles catch up to you, which could be 2-3 minutes once the peloton gets strung out. You will see team helpers stationed at various parts of the cobbles with spare wheels for riders since its sometimes quicker to keep going with a flat and change there.

Theres also normally a massive scrum near the start of the Pave parts because riders want to be near the front since any accident can hold people up for ages too.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Mandatory Paris-Roubaix video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QXKjc1nLY

Edit: A. Schleck did not start the race today. His career must really be on the line, he will have to focus on the Vuelta.

Edit2: Froome Crash, up and running again. He was holding his wrist though.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Froome just crashed.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mr.Nice posted:

Froome just crashed.

And this time I saw it. I saw everything, hnngh *lights a cigarette*

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I didn't even get a chance to do my yearly prediction of an Andy Schleck win

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Dunno who is driving the pace at the front cause the time gap is getting bigger!

Calling it now, left wrist is injured more than he'll let on.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Trying to sleep with road rash like that isn't fun. Tomorrow is going to really suck for Froome.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can anyone else in the UK not get the feeds to work?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

BTW, the guys on German Eurosport were pretty openly doubting that Andy pulled out only because of the crash. "Didn't actually look too bad" etc. They stopped short of outright calling him a quitter though

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone else catch the Tramadol pass over?

Usually crash damage is worse the 2nd day.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Froome felt on the same side (left) he felt in the dauphiné a month ago

Mollema also caught in the crash it seem.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Froome can't seem to stay on his bike.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Crosswinds are expected so we could have echelons forming, this stage looks to be good. I was hoping to get out on a ride between the rain but I dunno if I want to miss this stage anymore :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Mr.Nice posted:

Mollema also caught in the crash it seem.

Mollema apparently only had to unclip, it was Froome alone who went down on the tarmac.

edit: the new head of the UCI points at football as an inspiration of getting more money into the sport. He's kinda ignoring the amount of teams that are in financial troubles at lower levels or the ones that are merely toys for a bunch of rich people.