Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Indie Rocktopus posted:

And if Megatron is Cthulhu, then the Fallen is Nyarlathotep, coming out of Egypt and turning his followers into insane cultists. Also, in the second film we had Sam driven mad by the eldritch knowledge of the Allspark/Necronomicon.

Seriously though, I have no idea if Bay's deliberately homaging Lovecraft - but he is unquestionably leaning on the "cosmic horror" themes that Lovecraft introduced into popular culture. And in each case, the inconceivable and invincible monsters from beyond space and time are definitively crushed by Optimus Prime, champion of American capitalism. It doesn't matter if there are evil gods out there, Bay is saying - we've creating something stronger, and scarier.

I've been rereading this thread from the beginning to see posts that didn't make it into the pdf and this post way back is pretty relevant

Wales Grey posted:

Terry van Feleday posted:

what the hell is going on here aaaaaaaaaaaah

Aaron Sims' art seems, to me at least, inspired by the otherworldly descriptions (and non-descriptions) of the fantastical horror of H.P. Lovecraft. I mean the art for Sentinel(?) is almost spot on with the depiction of Nyarlathotep as the Howler in the Dark. yes i know that Dweller in Darkness was written by Dereleth, dude is basically half of what could be considered "Lovecraft Canon".

The design of the Dweller in Darkness in one of the Shin Megami Tensai games is also almost spot-on:

If we look at some of the other concepts Sims did, we also find SHAI-HALUD a Dhole/Bhole

a Star Spawn

and uh

Yeah I got nothin' on that last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The product placement in this movie is incredible, the beer is all that survives a wreck, the beats pill turning immediately into a gun. There's a huge victoria's secret ad on a hong kong tram but that tram is completely destroyed except for the back end, thus preserving the ad (and only the ad). The dude wearing Gucci sunglasses doesn't notice the huge thing happening nearby until he takes them off.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm kinda curious whether all the product placement was actually pursued and paid for by the companies, or whether some of it was actually requested by the filmmakers (like with Lady Gaga's Telephone video).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

2d 3d or IMAX 3d, which one should I go to if I haven't seen this yet?

Normally I'd think the choice would be obvious but when we're talking about a 3 hour Transformers movie I'm not so sure.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

victrix posted:

2d 3d or IMAX 3d, which one should I go to if I haven't seen this yet?

Normally I'd think the choice would be obvious but when we're talking about a 3 hour Transformers movie I'm not so sure.

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and you can definitely tell that it was filmed with the actual 3D camera instead of some post-conversion where they only render the VFX in 3D. That can turn out well provided everything's properly lit and the shots aren't composited against significant amounts of 2D-filmed footage (Gravity, the Amazing Spider-Man films), but those exceptions are rare. I'd say to go ahead and spend the extra money since it will certainly look better. The aspect ratio will change for the IMAX 3D filmed bits (most of the action scenes) vs the regular 3D filmed parts, but it didn't bother me even though I noticed it.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
I saw it in both 3D and 2D and I thought the latter was better, especially during the action scenes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kaytwo posted:

I saw it in both 3D and 2D and I thought the latter was better, especially during the action scenes.

There's a large difference between IMAX 3D and regular 3D, especially since this was shot with IMAX 3D cameras.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Besides the entire middle section spent on Lockdown's ship, my favorite part of the film is the scene where Cade and Joyce fumble with the comically oversized grenade. I fuckin love that grenade prop. I wish it was in my house.

This grenade is a truly great visual gag because, you may note, it's roughly the same size as THE SEED. And, in fact, Lockdown literally used SEEDS as grenades. That's how Lucas was killed.

This giant grenade imagery is straight out of Batman: The Movie and Dark Knight Rises. What do you do if you can't get rid of a bomb? With Cade and Joyce, their solution is to pass it off to the nearest Autobot. At the end of the film, Optimus picks up THE SEED, essentially tucks it into his pocket, and promises it'll never be misused.

However - only minutes beforehand - Optimus grabbed one of Lockdown's SEED-GRENADES and set it off right on the outskirts of the city, destroying a grain elevator and lord knows what else. The imagery is recurringly of the Autobots taking these grenades 'for safe-keeping' and then immediately using them against the latest enemy. It's a pretty safe bet that Optimus is going to nuke god.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm kinda curious whether all the product placement was actually pursued and paid for by the companies, or whether some of it was actually requested by the filmmakers (like with Lady Gaga's Telephone video).

My favorite examples of this is when Zack Snyder was denied the use of every brand requested for Dawn Of The Dead.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a pretty safe bet that Optimus is going to nuke god.

Meaning the film both begins and ends with references to Prometheus.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Optimus is either going off to nuke God or use the Seed to make more Autobots.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
TF4 suffers from the same problem Bay films have in that Bay took a script that could be done in 90 minutes and stretched it to 2 hours and 45 loving minutes. At least I got what I paid for and that's some Dinobots which I waited four films for and now I don't have to worry about these films ever again.

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
One of the concept designers of the film put up some artwork of Lockdown, Hound and a female Decepticon. Lockdown is becoming my favorite design of the Bayformers after Sideswipe which I didn't think was possible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

VaLiancY posted:

One of the concept designers of the film put up some artwork of Lockdown, Hound and a female Decepticon. Lockdown is becoming my favorite design of the Bayformers after Sideswipe which I didn't think was possible.

Lockdown is a really slick design. Interesting to see that I wasn't wrong about comparing his face to a skull. That Widowmaker was a pretty cool design, too.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Optimus prime tries to shoot the comic relief guy when he wakes up and only fails because his gun is broken, then he elbow drops two cars full of cia guys then he says he swore an oath not to harm humans.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VaLiancY posted:

My god this is awesome, those animated gifs are sweet as gently caress.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Milky Moor posted:

Transformers 5 opens on Optimus turning around after we last saw him in the credits and spiking the Seed into Earth like a football, the remaining movie and sequel are about the extinction of humanity (and not the extinction of Transformers).

Because, as noted multiple times in this thread, Optimus Prime is a loving liar. :rodimus:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

It's adorably naive that anyone can think this when you know he's just going to use the seed to get more Transformium for himself. He's not going to the creators to stop them. He's going in order to become God.

VaLiancY posted:

Oh this is awesome. Do we know which of these are the final models used? Because the skull face v2 of Lockdown says so much. I always thought his scar was pretty cool even though a transformer keeping a wound doesn't make much sense. But look at that model. The scar is branded with glyphs. Was it the creators that "punished" Lockdown for a previous transgression? Or did he choose to keep and honor the wound from a particular battle? The concept of a robot who's face IS A WEAPON to keep a scar on said face is intriguing the hell out of me.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Skull Face v2 looks very much like the one that is final. The only difference might be his tattoos - mainly because I can't find any good picture of Lockdown's face from the film to compare it against. A lot of the concept art showed for the film does feature them though... In any case, his tattoos are wicked cool.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Saw this last night with the missus and kids. Holy poo poo was this a product placement fest. Its the first time in a long while I burst out laughing at its obviousness, and it had to be intentional as others in the cinema were also laughing.
Also, is that Chinese milk that billionaire guy took a drink from for TWO WHOLE SCENES while taking up all camera view a real thing? Because if so that was unbelievably ballsy to do that.

Also, best Transformers film so far. Dinobots were loving well worth the wait.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Saw this last night with the missus and kids. Holy poo poo was this a product placement fest. Its the first time in a long while I burst out laughing at its obviousness, and it had to be intentional as others in the cinema were also laughing.
Also, is that Chinese milk that billionaire guy took a drink from for TWO WHOLE SCENES while taking up all camera view a real thing? Because if so that was unbelievably ballsy to do that.

Yeah, it's a real thing, and I'm pretty sure Ken Jeong's character in DOTM is drinking the same milk in one scene.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fun bloated movie. The parallels between this and winter soldier are interesting. Truly you are deep Hollywood.

Also funny to see Bay doing a tf movie that isn't 100% oorah military.

More importantly, dinobots.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I started laughing at Marky Mark taking a swig from an unbroken Bud Light bottle and throwing it at the guy demanding insurance for the car he just crashed into.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

I started laughing at Marky Mark taking a swig from an unbroken Bud Light bottle and throwing it at the guy demanding insurance for the car he just crashed into.

The tray his daughter brought him with his dinner on had an obvious Budweiser sat on it, too. I did fancy a beer afterwards. The product placement was really irritating.

Me and my fiancee thought the film was poo poo, she said it was the worst and I can't decide if it was worse than 2 or not. I'll have to go back and watch the others but nearly every line of dialogue was utterly cringeworthy and took me out of the film a lot more than I remember in the previous ones.

Megatron is starting to bother me, they keep introducing other antagonists but he's always around. Megatron dies in 1, comes back in 2, sneaks off injured, comes back in 3, dies in 3 and is remade into Galvatron in 4 where he sneaks off again. Even if he died again it would have no impact because I'd just expect it to be waved away when he'd be brought back to life in 5. I know this is how it was in the cartoons but it's starting to wear a bit thin. Also when Bumblee shot him he turned into magic flying cubes and avoided it all, yet his pals who were made of the same stuff died from relatively minor hits.

I'm glad Optimus remembered he could loving fly at the end (even without his "I NEED THAT FLIGHT TECH"). It would've helped in a lot of earlier situations if he'd bothered to do it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Transformers 4 "my immersion!" post.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Regarding Optimus' rocket boots. I'm pretty sure he got that upgrade when he released the dinobots. When he grabs the sword to unlock/release Grimlock his arms undergo a very noticeable change.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just saw this yesterday, since it only came out on Friday here. Due to a fuckup with the cinema's booking system I missed basically everything until Prime gets delivered to the barn, so this is missing some context. A few bare-bones thoughts:

1: without Prime around to bully them into politeness the Autobots are literally at each other's throats looking for a reason to kill each other. It kind of implies that the only difference between them and the Decepticons is that the Decepticons can actually work together for five minutes without supervision.

2: that said, Hound was just FUN as a character. I loved how his entire being could be compressed down to just saying "ork" and leaving it at that. The gleeful diving into every fight, violence being the first resort "I'll cover you. If I stop covering you, I'm dead!". Gold.

3: Lockdown's introduction in the movie was far less effective than his introduction in the trailer was. I know we have to explain everything so the audience can keep up but it just didn't work as well as having him wander into a fight and start shooting. Also the open face wasn't as effective as the closed mask, in the same way Jango Fett will never be as cool as Boba Fett.

4: not really a plot point, but I loved how Shane's accent kept slipping from Hollywood Irish into his actual Irish accent. I have no idea why he felt the need to do that, but it amused the hell out of us anyway.

5: Grimlock transformed "correctly".

6:

At the end of the film, Optimus picks up THE SEED, essentially tucks it into his pocket, and promises it'll never be misused.

However - only minutes beforehand - Optimus grabbed one of Lockdown's SEED-GRENADES and set it off right on the outskirts of the city, destroying a grain elevator and lord knows what else. The imagery is recurringly of the Autobots taking these grenades 'for safe-keeping' and then immediately using them against the latest enemy. It's a pretty safe bet that Optimus is going to nuke god.
I loved that part. "I'll take it to where it will never be found" and all that. It's not like he tried this before and it totally failed leading to the events of the last four movies or anything.

7:

Wade Wilson posted:

I love the choice of guy he threatens. It's like they just took Milton direct from Office Space, made him 20 years younger and called it a day. Perfect stereotypical TV nerd, being out-macho'd by the high-school quarterback reliving his glory days via gunsword.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Transformers 4 "my immersion!" post.

If that was in response to my post, I guess the point I was trying to make is that I'm usually good at turning my brain off and enjoying things getting shot/blown up, but in this film the action didn't distract me from the cringy lines between the humans and the constant pointless poo poo Hound was saying.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Kempo posted:

If that was in response to my post, I guess the point I was trying to make is that I'm usually good at turning my brain off and enjoying things getting shot/blown up, but in this film the action didn't distract me from the cringy lines between the humans and the constant pointless poo poo Hound was saying.

Moments where you're "taken out of the film" are opportunities to turn your brain on, instead, and actively think about what you're being shown and what ideas are being expressed or explored through the film. Why would anyone want to be immersed in these movies, anyway? The world they depict is a total nightmare.

It's so strange to me that these films have a wide-spread reputation as the ultimate "turn your brain off" movies even as they actively resist that at every turn.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Moments where you're "taken out of the film" are opportunities to turn your brain on, instead, and think about what you're being shown and what ideas are being expressed or explored through the film. It's so strange to me that these films have a wide-spread reputation as the ultimate "turn your brain off" movies even as they actively resist that at every turn.

Why would anyone want to be immersed in these movies, anyway? The world they depict is a total nightmare.

Maybe it's some kind of "At least my life isn't as terrible as these fictional characters' lives" kind of thing.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Moments where you're "taken out of the film" are opportunities to turn your brain on, instead, and actively think about what you're being shown and what ideas are being expressed or explored through the film. Why would anyone want to be immersed in these movies, anyway? The world they depict is a total nightmare.

It's so strange to me that these films have a wide-spread reputation as the ultimate "turn your brain off" movies even as they actively resist that at every turn.

I don't know if dialogue I find rubbish is made that way on purpose to remind me to think about what's being expressed while Hound is playing horde mode. I really enjoyed the huge spectacle of the Chicago battle in DoTM, it looked incredible and it was exciting, whereas this one felt a bit boring in comparison. I can't recall exact lines that "took me out of the film", but there was cheesy stuff between Mark Whalberg and his daughter that just seemed pretty lame (I know there was plenty in the others but I haven't seen them recently and I was more aware of it because I was getting a bit bored). Usually I can overlook the elements I find lovely if I'm enjoying other things about it, I'll certainly give it another chance on Blu-Ray.

I did notice Whalberg trying to help Prime and causing him to get stabbed is similar to how it went down with Hot Rod getting Prime stabbed in the animated movie, that seemed like a bit of a nod.

Wade Wilson posted:

Maybe it's some kind of "At least my life isn't as terrible as these fictional characters' lives" kind of thing.

Sorry mate best film ever 10/10

Kempo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 7, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm still thinking over the decision to set the climactic battle at a grain elevator.

I mean, Wahlberg is introduced as this dude driving' through the prairie in his pickup truck, past a train that I believe is transporting wheat or something. Multiple action scenes are set in and around wheat fields and cornfields.

But then, Wahlberg uses his massive barn to make gimmicky Sharper Image crap. The scene with the painter-robot shows that he wants something that will do the work for him, and he clearly aspires to become like Joyce.

So yeah: detonate the grain elevator, get a mansion.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
There's two things that I picked up on, perhaps erroneously, that I haven't seen anyone else comment on.

- It was really funny to me that Cade's robodog had a VERY similar face to Bumblebee (not to mention outright ignoring Cade and Tessa's demands that it be quiet and stop its protocol--which Bumblebee does to Shane, later on).

- I know everyone's busy comparing Tucci's character to Steve Jobs and evil Nazi doctors (and rightfully so), but I also got a very distinct vibe from him coming from two lines:

"WHY can't it be the way I want it? WHY WHY WHY?"

"Do you know what a flaw is? A flaw is a FAILURE."

For those who don't know, there is something in the Transformers toy community called third-party developers, in which the miracle of 3D printing (and probably lots of other cool manufacturing techniques) has allowed people completely unrelated to Hasbro create completely expensive, completely amazing replicas of Transformers with a lot of meticulous craftsmanship and sometimes creating completely wonky poo poo.

There are literally three different versions of the combiner Predaking that are (mostly) available. And WHY do these things get made, again and again? Because to the fan community, flaws are failures. Because WHY can't it be the way we want it? WHY WHY WHY WHY?

Edit:

ALSO! It was really fascinating to me how literal the metaphor of people buying into the Transformers' bullshit became with the new Transformium and the transformation process. They have a material that they show can literally become anything, at any time--MULTIPLE things, no less. And what do they make with it? They make Transformers that can only have two forms. Why? Well, because Transformers are only one of two things, stupid. They couldn't possibly be anything else. If you think otherwise, then you're just applying some interpretation that doesn't belong in the world of the giant fanboy who is creating his own Transformers universe based on the immutable facts of the Transformers as he sees them.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 7, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Captain Magic posted:

ALSO! It was really fascinating to me how literal the metaphor of people buying into the Transformers' bullshit became with the new Transformium and the transformation process. They have a material that they show can literally become anything, at any time--MULTIPLE things, no less. And what do they make with it? They make Transformers that can only have two forms. Why? Well, because Transformers are only one of two things, stupid. They couldn't possibly be anything else. If you think otherwise, then you're just applying some interpretation that doesn't belong in the world of the giant fanboy who is creating his own Transformers universe based on the immutable facts of the Transformers as he sees them.

The other thing that's kind of neat is the dichotomy of the experimental blob of transformium. First time we're shown it, it goes from a Beats Pill bluetooth audio thing to a handgun.

Second time, with a second, larger mass, we see it go from a MLP pony to a M4 rifle.

It's almost like there's a parallelism point being made here.

But nah, turn off your brain, bro.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And with that, it occurs to me that the endless debate on Death Of The Author in this here subforum actually only has one side. The Author is well and truly dead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Magic posted:

You missed how Drift is a triple-changer in the movie, right?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I'm still thinking over the decision to set the climactic battle at a grain elevator.

I mean, Wahlberg is introduced as this dude driving' through the prairie in his pickup truck, past a train that I believe is transporting wheat or something. Multiple action scenes are set in and around wheat fields and cornfields.

But then, Wahlberg uses his massive barn to make gimmicky Sharper Image crap. The scene with the painter-robot shows that he wants something that will do the work for him, and he clearly aspires to become like Joyce.

So yeah: detonate the grain elevator, get a mansion.

Speaking of the Sharper Image painting robot, did you notice how the robots that attack Tessa in the garbage disposal on Lockdown's ship have the same head shape and creepy googlie-eyes. People keep comparing Cade to Optimus, but he's also got a strong parallel to Lockdown. Lockdown of course has his own collection of junk, up to and including his own robot attack guard dogs. The main difference though is that his junk actually works.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Arquinsiel posted:

You missed how Drift is a triple-changer in the movie, right?

While that's absolutely true, I don't believe it changes the point of the humans putting the Transformers they create into very "fixed" roles despite the Transformium allowing them to make giant Optimus-crushing fists or blowjob machines or whatever. 3 forms is still not limitless forms, no matter how you look at it.

The Transformers themselves can change their form quite a bit (Bee and Prime both alter appearance in the film), but it seems as though, without heavy retooling (ala Megatron in ROTF and DOTM) they can only shift between a set number of basic functions (robot to vehicle to other vehicle, for instance. They can't change from, say, robot to towel to ice dispenser to table to jet carrier to sandal to DVD.) They are still "toys" and must function with predefined roles AS toys; meanwhile, Transformium is a tool transformed into a hammer that its inventors can't find enough nails for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Magic posted:

While that's absolutely true, I don't believe it changes the point of the humans putting the Transformers they create into very "fixed" roles despite the Transformium allowing them to make giant Optimus-crushing fists or blowjob machines or whatever. 3 forms is still not limitless forms, no matter how you look at it.

The Transformers themselves can change their form quite a bit (Bee and Prime both alter appearance in the film), but it seems as though, without heavy retooling (ala Megatron in ROTF and DOTM) they can only shift between a set number of basic functions (robot to vehicle to other vehicle, for instance. They can't change from, say, robot to towel to ice dispenser to table to jet carrier to sandal to DVD.) They are still "toys" and must function with predefined roles AS toys; meanwhile, Transformium is a tool transformed into a hammer that its inventors can't find enough nails for.
When you put it this way I am imagining adaptive screwdrivers that fit any screw type and borescopes that grow into the space they're looking into. Obviously I've thought of making hyper-specialised versions of existing tools while they seem to be making really crappy Swiss army knives. For the most part the movies have avoided mass-displacement though, so table to jet carrier is probably out.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Magic posted:

I'm wondering where Laserbeak fits into all this then, since his gimmick in DOTM was his ability to turn into basically anything (including a child-sized pink bumblebee???); it seems like whatever Transformers are made out of, there's the potential for limitless forms but most tend to limit themselves to 2 or 3 for whatever reason. There's actually an interesting divide in the films between the superficial and the practical in terms of alternate modes; the Autobots all turn into an assortment of expensive and flashy motor vehicles, while the Decepticons tend toward military vehicles or industrial vehicles (Megatron doesn't even turn into a recognizable thing, just a spiky gun with wings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
One thing I noticed in this film, was the way the Transformers act, talk and behave like they are in a comic book. In the first three films you don't really notice because the human elements are also very comic book like. In this story you have a serious story of Marky Mark and his daughter being introduced to a very pissed of Prime. However the difference in robot behaviour became very apparent when we meet the autobots for the first time who are hiding out. One of the humans (I think its the daughter) says 'what the hell is wrong with them?' That question wasn't posed because the autobots were pissed off or acting out of character, it was because they were being so cartoonish in a serious life threating situation.