Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Squalitude posted:

Haven't seen that one but Tim Curry playing a potentially moustache-twirling cardinal sounds like it could be a good waste of a couple of hours.

Its a fun enough movie

Also theres this: http://i.imgur.com/LIKuTH8.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That man knows his audience (me).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In the matrix why is two bullets hitting the fuel tank on a helicopter an instant "oh gently caress get out it's crashing"? It's obviously military as it has a god drat minigun on it so you'd think it could handle more than a couple of rounds in the side.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

In the matrix why is two bullets hitting the fuel tank on a helicopter an instant "oh gently caress get out it's crashing"? It's obviously military as it has a god drat minigun on it so you'd think it could handle more than a couple of rounds in the side.

It's pretty easy for me to forgive that since they're basically running around inside an actual video-game world - things get shot and explode regardless of if it makes any sense or not.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Im actually watching Matrix: Reloaded as I type. Just got through the Neo vs 100's of Agent Smiths fight scene.

The part where Neo yanks a metal pole out the ground to fight with, why doesnt it just bend in half with the first hit when the supposed forces involved can knock people through walls etc? Also, why is the drat thing flexible at times?!

I get it, the same answer as above applies but things like that are just irritating in my dumb sci fi sequel that honestly doesnt really exist as The Matrix would have made a great trilogy if they really made 2 more films like the 1st.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You were so concerned about that element of the fight that I bet you didn't notice the part where Neo throws a Smith into a bunch of Smiths and they fall over like bowling pins complete with bowling pin strike sound effects.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ducttape posted:

I kinda get it; when I give an estimate for how long it will take me to do something, there's always a 'behave like a reasonable person' factor. If I estimate it will take me 20 minutes to drive somewhere, I could probably do it in 10, if I ignored all traffic laws, for example.

In Pulp Fiction when the Wolf says 'That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.' A 30 minute drive in 10? And by the way if you're worried about getting pulled over for random crap like a tail-light then 'I drive real fuckin' fast so keep up' doesn't sound so brilliant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CratSock posted:

I saw a kid do a comparative study for english class using Back To The Future. Part II. :airquote: "Based on the popular motion picture". In grade 12. :(

You went to school with Ryan North?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dpack_1 posted:

Im actually watching Matrix: Reloaded as I type. Just got through the Neo vs 100's of Agent Smiths fight scene.

The part where Neo yanks a metal pole out the ground to fight with, why doesnt it just bend in half with the first hit when the supposed forces involved can knock people through walls etc? Also, why is the drat thing flexible at times?!

I get it, the same answer as above applies but things like that are just irritating in my dumb sci fi sequel that honestly doesnt really exist as The Matrix would have made a great trilogy if they really made 2 more films like the 1st.

I wish the sequel had been from the machines' point of view, with Neo taking the place of the Agents as antagonists in the first film. Just this unstoppable horror that can't be understood or defeated, violating everything they understand about how things work - basically the sentient equivalent of video game enemies faced with a player who is using cheatcodes.

I also wish Neo's powers hadn't been reduced to,"Is faster and stronger and can fly" when the end of the first film suggested that it was more about Neo becoming almost a personified force of chaos who could rewrite the properties of the environment he was in at his will - basically a reality-shifting God.

I don't know if these irritations are really irrational though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supreme Allah posted:

In Pulp Fiction when the Wolf says 'That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.' A 30 minute drive in 10? And by the way if you're worried about getting pulled over for random crap like a tail-light then 'I drive real fuckin' fast so keep up' doesn't sound so brilliant.

Reminds me of that god-awful In Time movie with Justin Tim(e)berlake. A lady is almost out of time to live (it makes sense in context) and so she can't pay for the bus ride fee. Her nearest source of more time to live is at home; it's an hour and a half walk or something and she's only got an hour to live!! The bus driver, who is a total dickbag, says "then you'd better run."

Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjhlsOfF5U&t=341s

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Mar 31, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Wowie!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My dad said he liked Godzilla '98 better than '14 because it didn't have any MY WIFE\KID\FAMILY subplots.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if this is better or worse than his old gimmick of pages of fiction that nobody reads or cares about.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think low levels of autism are coming from that post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps I should put a "stagger your complaints if you have a lot of them" suggestion in the OP.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I can't remember a specific example from a movie, but I've seen it all over the place. Someone is trying to prove something to someone else, and they just totally omit some easy or crucial piece of evidence that would prove it. In Continuum, Kiera was trying to convince Carlos that she's from the future. She fails to prove it to him, and he leaves, angry. Meanwhile she's sitting there in her future-suit that lets her turn invisible and fully blocks bullets with her future-gun that unfolds and is basically magic. It's not like someone whipping out impossible technology would lend credence to their claims of being from the future, nope.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not a movie, but it happens in Dead Space 3. It turns out that the angry dickbag meathead ship captain actually sold Isaac and co. out to the bad guy, oh no, big shock! Isaac and the co-op buddy ward off the big bad and face captain dickface down once and for all; Isaac tries to resolve the situation with yelling but dickface pulls a gun and it ends in a shootout. When Isaac gets back to the rest of his team with co-op buddy in tow, he somehow neglects to mention that the dude was literally trying to kill him before Isaac pulled a Han-shot-first on him, and the next half hour is spent with everyone but the co-op buddy mad at Isaac because he just doesn't tell them the whole story for some reason.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Does this count as a meltdown?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elysiume posted:

I can't remember a specific example from a movie, but I've seen it all over the place. Someone is trying to prove something to someone else, and they just totally omit some easy or crucial piece of evidence that would prove it.
This always annoys me with stuff like ghosts. If they're actually real, it's incredibly easy to prove. For a start, in most cases everyone should already believe in them from the beginning since there's tons of them and they're not exactly hard to detect. Things flying around, or ghosts just being visible or whatever.

But assuming that ghosts can't move things and only certain people can see or hear them. Well, have someone write something down and hold it up where the ghost can see it, then the ghost tells the medium what it says and the medium repeats it back. Or any number of variations on this.

But so many times the medium is confronted with someone who doesn't believe them and just can't think of any way they could possibly prove that they're telling the truth.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

50 Foot Ant posted:

Whether it's cool robots working with a cannibal who isn't believable as a human being

I wasn't paying very close attention when I watched any of the Transformers movies but I feel like I should remember a cannibal.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gatekeeper posted:

I wasn't paying very close attention when I watched any of the Transformers movies but I feel like I should remember a cannibal.

This isn't onscreen. More like an actual cannibal.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
Rob Zombie's Halloweens were pretty awful though. The first one has a half hour devoted to Michael Myers being a kid. No possible audience could find anything in the first half hour interesting. It's just boring and nobody asked for the story to be told.

Then RZ took the criticism to heart and decided the first half hour of Halloween 2 should be a dream sequence. Nothing matters but at least it's entertaining. There are just huge chunks of film time spent on boondoggles.

Edit: For content, I've been watching Gang Related recently. It's a show about a cop in a gang task force being a mole for a crime family. What bothers me, and I know this is irrational, is that the crooked cop is dating the estranged daughter of his captain who also works for the District Attorney and who also was recently investigating and interrogating him. I know, characters do not make perfect decisions 100% of the time, but it's frustrating watching this guy get into a relationship that could blow up his life in like 3 different ways. If the captain finds out he may lose trust and his career might be damaged. If the crime family finds out they may lose trust and cut him loose or kill him. If she learns too much he could get arrested. Obviously it's a show so some combination will happen for drama but drat, just date any woman but her.

Overweight Shark has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Recently I watch the god-awful World War Z and it made me realize that I loathe when characters somehow have telescopic vision. Brad Pitt sees a tiny, famished boy across a significant distance not get eaten by zombies. He SOMEHOW sees enough details to tell that they just run around the kids despite, from his perspective, there is no way he could tell that and then just assumes zombies won't go after sick people.

:psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Recently I watch the god-awful World War Z and it made me realize that I loathe when characters somehow have telescopic vision. Brad Pitt sees a tiny, famished boy across a significant distance not get eaten by zombies. He SOMEHOW sees enough details to tell that they just run around the kids despite, from his perspective, there is no way he could tell that and then just assumes zombies won't go after sick people.

:psyduck:

That would be because the scene with the kid was added in later. All the stuff about zombies not eating sick people was part of a massive ending rewrite.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ridiculous, annoying, painful deus ex machina that solves everything at the end of World War Z made me hate the entire god drat movie. It's seriously high school fanfiction level of writing quality.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

That would be because the scene with the kid was added in later. All the stuff about zombies not eating sick people was part of a massive ending rewrite.

I looked it up and the original ending had Pitt captured by Russian military, like 20 years pass and they figure out that zombies become really vulnerable in the cold and the movie ends without a climactic ending.
In no way could this have been a better movie with idiots like this at the helm.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

I looked it up and the original ending had Pitt captured by Russian military, like 20 years pass and they figure out that zombies become really vulnerable in the cold and the movie ends without a climactic ending.
In no way could this have been a better movie with idiots like this at the helm.

At least "zombies vulnerable to cold" was in the source material.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I just didn't understand how they managed to gently caress up so bad despite the source material having so many different plotlines to chose from.

I understand a few things ended up not being political viable (the China and Cuba stuff) but everything else was there. String any 5 of the interviews from the book together, make one of 'em the Battle of Yonkers and I'd have seen it 10 times in theaters.

Instead we got... World War Z. I did watch the new "unrated" cut on Netflix and this time I tried watching it as it's own zombie movie, separate from the book, and I feel it would have made an ok 28 Days Later style movie on it's own. Just not called World War Z.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

At least "zombies vulnerable to cold" was in the source material.

The source material was loving awful too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Caedus posted:

I just didn't understand how they managed to gently caress up so bad despite the source material having so many different plotlines to chose from.

I understand a few things ended up not being political viable (the China and Cuba stuff) but everything else was there. String any 5 of the interviews from the book together, make one of 'em the Battle of Yonkers and I'd have seen it 10 times in theaters.

Instead we got... World War Z. I did watch the new "unrated" cut on Netflix and this time I tried watching it as it's own zombie movie, separate from the book, and I feel it would have made an ok 28 Days Later style movie on it's own. Just not called World War Z.

Nah. I watched it with the same lens and hated it. Then again I hated 28 weeks and nearly any fast zombie depiction aside from the Dawn remake and Left 4 Dead.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Frostwerks posted:

Does this count as a meltdown?

I was reading this thread on my phone and was amazed when that post just kept going and going

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress the haters, I liked WWZ. I didn't go in expecting anything more or less than an action zombie flick with Brad Pitt as the badass hero and I got that, and at least the whole 'zombies avoid sick people' made more sense and was a tiny bit more original than the whole 'some special people are immune so we have to protect this one person so we can somehow spread those immunity genes through the whole population and save the world' bullshit.

I didn't read the source material, so I enjoyed myself in the cinema even if I don't care to watch it a second time. Want to talk about loving up the source material of a zombie film? gently caress the I Am Legend movie. I'm glad I watched the movie first for some braindead (heh, get it?) entertainment and only read the book later.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Taeke posted:

gently caress the haters, I liked WWZ. I didn't go in expecting anything more or less than an action zombie flick with Brad Pitt as the badass hero and I got that, and at least the whole 'zombies avoid sick people' made more sense and was a tiny bit more original than the whole 'some special people are immune so we have to protect this one person so we can somehow spread those immunity genes through the whole population and save the world' bullshit.

The book didnt have a cure at all, right? I think its much more interesting that there wasnt a cure or magic way out. It was just a thing they had to deal with from now on.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

KoB posted:

The book didnt have a cure at all, right? I think its much more interesting that there wasnt a cure or magic way out. It was just a thing they had to deal with from now on.

Yes. The book was just mankind getting on after the global disaster and cleaning up the mess.
It was completely viral and spread by contact. It could be contained once they understood it.

Edit: there was no cure. It was 100% fatal and you always reanimated.

Edit: in the book, the guy is interviewing people afterwards about their roles in the disaster. The Redekker Plan weaves through a couple of stories and The Battle of Yonkers would have been cinematic gold.

Edit: its a good book. I found the audio book version to be disappointingly flat even though it had good voice actors.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jul 7, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

One of the stories was about a guy who made billions selling a fake cure at the beggining of the outbreak, but at the end there wasn't really any miracle cure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the stories was about a guy who made billions selling a fake cure at the beggining of the outbreak, but at the end there wasn't really any miracle cure.

Yeah, he capitalized on the fact that it was initially reported as a strain of rabies, and his company sold a repackaged/reformulated rabies vaccine. He didn't feel he did anything wrong since it was the scientists and media who reported the wrong disease.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The one part of Sin City that always annoys me a lil when I run through it is Little Kid Nancy's tearful thankful dialogue with Hartigan when he's in the hospital. "Still a virgin, thanks to you!" what kind of little kid says that, it's just stilted awkward dumb Frank Miller talk. :v:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

I can't remember a specific example from a movie, but I've seen it all over the place. Someone is trying to prove something to someone else, and they just totally omit some easy or crucial piece of evidence that would prove it. In Continuum, Kiera was trying to convince Carlos that she's from the future. She fails to prove it to him, and he leaves, angry. Meanwhile she's sitting there in her future-suit that lets her turn invisible and fully blocks bullets with her future-gun that unfolds and is basically magic. It's not like someone whipping out impossible technology would lend credence to their claims of being from the future, nope.

Meet the Robinsons at least had the kid from the future SHOW the drat time machine. And use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The one part of Sin City that always annoys me a lil when I run through it is Little Kid Nancy's tearful thankful dialogue with Hartigan when he's in the hospital. "Still a virgin, thanks to you!" what kind of little kid says that, it's just stilted awkward dumb Frank Miller talk. :v:
It also kinda weirded me out how all the female characters were strippers, hookers or just walked around in their underwear. The one exception doesn't even speak, you only learn about her through slightly creepy monologues about "sweet little deadly Miho."